had first practice today and i have a few questions

PDA

View Full Version : had first practice today and i have a few questions

Corpse_Defier
01-14-2007, 01:09 AM
me and a friend had our first band practice today (me-guitar, friend-drums) and it went ****in awesome, we got alot of Postmortem by slayer down. once we get that were gonna do mandatory suicide and start writing our own shit. we were in a band together (my 1st band) and it went ****ing horrible, we all (other bandmembers at the time) got into ****in arguments all the time. and everyone in that band besides me wanted to play metalcore music wich personally i dislike, now were goin for a thrash/death metal band. but anyways, i got a few questions...

1) whats an awesome thrash/death metal song that will get a crowd goin nuts? and i mean nuts, or a song that will just scare the shit out of any normal person, were not goin to playin a gig anytime soon but you gotta prepare early!!

2) i have a peavey 5150 stack and everyone knows those mother ****ers sqeal with feedback pretty bad, whats the best noise gate i can get for about..... 100-150 bucks? and i want one that wont kill my tone...

i had a few more but i forgot them...anyways, just any tips about anything related to this stuff would be awesome.

Friedmaniac
01-14-2007, 01:13 AM
for a song Megadeth- Holy Wars. I don't know much about noise gates, sorry.

Slayer566
01-14-2007, 02:01 AM
Hammer smashed face - Cannibal Corpse. Sorry i do not know anything about noise gates.

Sweetbabyjezuz
01-14-2007, 02:26 AM
I personally like

Arch Enemy - Despicable Heros

imo it's easy, it's fast as hell, it's heavy as shit, and it's not a long song so if you can play fast but not for a long time it's good (i think it clocks under 3 mins if i remember correctly)

Take it for what it's worth ;)

greendayguitar
01-14-2007, 02:40 PM
There's a Boss noise gate out there, but I don't knwo anything about them. Take that question to GG&A, and it'll eb answered in a snap.

As for the songs, I don't know, sorry.

deathmetalboy
01-14-2007, 02:58 PM
glad to hear u had fun practicing with ur band for the first time, my bands first practice was very fun too, except then the bass player is like "metal is gay lets play some indie rock" and me and the drummer ar like F U. anyway i got THE SICKEST AMP EVER just like 3 weeks ago. it was the last one. it is a spider 6 , 15 watt and it has 4 built in effects in it great for metal. it cost only 99$ cos i got it at the store and online i checked i think they cost like 400$ or something. if u can find one of em ( theyre new ) at a guitar center or something check the price, and if it is 99 get it right away.

Corpse_Defier
01-14-2007, 02:59 PM
alright thanks everyone, im gonna go post the noise gate thing in the gg&a forum

deathmetalboy
01-14-2007, 03:06 PM
=( my band members are so lazy this sucks omg i need to join another band

Corpse_Defier
01-14-2007, 03:10 PM
=( my band members are so lazy this sucks omg i need to join another band

if you lived over here you could join our band, we need more ****in members and everyone else around here plays shitty hardcore music, were the first people to play actual metal around here in a long time...

deathmetalboy
01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
exactly wat im lookin for man i live in colorado tho and im 14

Corpse_Defier
01-14-2007, 03:52 PM
were only 15 so that doesnt really matter ha

deathmetalboy
01-14-2007, 04:12 PM
yea lol so AL stands for alabama right? damnit i really want to jam and practice but the drummer is like fat and eats too much and is lazy but hes a good durmmer and our bassist just got his basse for christmas and he is learnign from a pro. we still need a guitarist if our band survives aaaaaahhhhhhhh im pissed cos i practice guitar for atleast one fourth of a day everyday!!!

Shredlet
01-15-2007, 01:34 AM
A New Level - Pantera
that song is just 100% badass!

Corpse_Defier
01-15-2007, 01:49 AM
yea lol so AL stands for alabama right? damnit i really want to jam and practice but the drummer is like fat and eats too much and is lazy but hes a good durmmer and our bassist just got his basse for christmas and he is learnign from a pro. we still need a guitarist if our band survives aaaaaahhhhhhhh im pissed cos i practice guitar for atleast one fourth of a day everyday!!!

yup, its alabama, way down here..... ya were gonna need a new guitarist eventually, itd be nice if there was actually another REAL metal fan around our school

Dutch_Apples
01-15-2007, 04:44 AM
1) whats an awesome thrash/death metal song that will get a crowd goin nuts? and i mean nuts, or a song that will just scare the shit out of any normal person, were not goin to playin a gig anytime soon but you gotta prepare early!!

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever seen on UG. BTW, most of the time when I hear a thrash/death metal band in my area... there are usually 10 people in the audience and only 3 of them are into it.. and those 3 are from other bands. There's a reason you aren't going to be playing any gigs soon. No one wants to hear this music!

Corpse_Defier
01-15-2007, 11:57 AM
i dont care if nobody wants to hear it

greendayguitar
01-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Wow, thread hijackers :p:

Sid McCall
01-15-2007, 02:37 PM
anyway i got THE SICKEST AMP EVER just like 3 weeks ago. it was the last one. it is a spider 6 , 15 watt and it has 4 built in effects in it great for metal. it cost only 99$ cos i got it at the store and online i checked i think they cost like 400$ or something. if u can find one of em ( theyre new ) at a guitar center or something check the price, and if it is 99 get it right away.

......I don't even know what to say....

hit up the search button for the noise gate answer. I saw an almost identical thread yesterday, a person with the same 5150 wanted a noise gate. he got some really good answers, but I can't remember them. good l uck!

Corpse_Defier
01-15-2007, 03:58 PM
......I don't even know what to say....

hit up the search button for the noise gate answer. I saw an almost identical thread yesterday, a person with the same 5150 wanted a noise gate. he got some really good answers, but I can't remember them. good l uck!

ok thanks!

tubab0y
01-15-2007, 10:18 PM
ISP decimator is an amazing noise gate, if you can find it. if not, the MXR one is good.

Skuzzmo
01-16-2007, 05:50 PM
This is one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever seen on UG. BTW, most of the time when I hear a thrash/death metal band in my area... there are usually 10 people in the audience and only 3 of them are into it.. and those 3 are from other bands. There's a reason you aren't going to be playing any gigs soon. No one wants to hear this music!

Nobody wants to hear this music?

Wrong, soooooooooo wrong. Where do you live? on a feking island where the only fun is to make sexual advances towards to wildlife and raise barns on the first day of the month?

In my area there loads of thrash and extreme metal bands and when they play here or in the surrounding towns there is, pretty much everytime, a good crowd turn out.......

Dutch_Apples
01-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Why don't you look in the side bar under my name to see where I live? Trust me, there are plenty of metal bands around here but everyone hates them. The music is usuaully cookie-cutter and you can't dance to it!

Nightmare_xxx
01-16-2007, 06:09 PM
got THE SICKEST AMP EVER just like 3 weeks ago. it was the last one. it is a spider 6 , 15 watt and it has 4 built in effects in it great for metal. it cost only 99$ cos i got it at the store and online i checked i think they cost like 400$ or something. if u can find one of em ( theyre new ) at a guitar center or something check the price, and if it is 99 get it right away.

I lol'd. pity he's banned, could have lead to some amusing conversations about why he thinks the colour of his guitar makes it sound different, etc.

The way to hate
01-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Boss Noise Suppresor works wonders for me..

For the first thing.. Do Battery by Metallica.

Why don't you look in the side bar under my name to see where I live? Trust me, there are plenty of metal bands around here but everyone hates them. The music is usuaully cookie-cutter and you can't dance to it!

You can't dance to it? I didn't know you were a girl. Dancing sucks, grow a pair please.

CowboyUp
01-16-2007, 06:25 PM
You oughta play some thrash classics. Hangar 18, Master of Puppets, Cowboys from Hell, pretty much anything with 4-5 syllables.

Corpse_Defier
01-16-2007, 06:31 PM
were thinkin about writin stuff like decapitated, its more on the death side, but we still like thrash. were learning mandatory suicide now, and i guess well stat writing stuff soon, whats a good process for writing? should i just write the guitar parts, and show up at practice?

Shredlet
01-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Goddamit Man A New Level Pantera!!!

Corpse_Defier
01-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Goddamit Man A New Level Pantera!!!

hahaha, ill give it a go, thats a great song

Skuzzmo
01-18-2007, 05:05 PM

Yeah, sorry about that............i didn't read your first post properly. I thought you were just dismissing an entire genre of music.......but you're not.

Sorry, I screwed up there.....

Metal_Rich
01-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Whom The Bells Toll by Metallica, Angry Again, Holy Wars, Dread And The Fugitive Mind by Megadeth, Reroute To Remain, if you want an instrumental then Man Made God by In Flames is a good one.

acidity
01-18-2007, 06:40 PM
i hate noise gates, noise is great :D i love filling a room with feedback and kicking riffs through it!

if you do use one, make it subtle, dont make it choke your tone!

Corpse_Defier
01-18-2007, 08:33 PM
i hate noise gates, noise is great :D i love filling a room with feedback and kicking riffs through it!

if you do use one, make it subtle, dont make it choke your tone!

i like the noise like, at the biggining of a show, like a loud feedback then the song starts, but i hate when im playing and then theres a rest in the song, all you hear is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! ****in hate it, i would just turn it on while i was playing the song

HillsideMetal2
01-18-2007, 09:37 PM
A great Metal song to start with is Am I Evil? by Metallica. And as far as noise gates, I use the MXR and it still keeps my tone.

Corpse_Defier
01-18-2007, 09:38 PM
A great Metal song to start with is Am I Evil? by Metallica. And as far as noise gates, I use the MXR and it still keeps my tone.

AHH i love that ****in song, ill ask the drummer if he likes it

EirikFtw
01-21-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't know about the noise gate thing, but as for song goes:

If you want the crowd to go nuts, you ought to play something that is pretty well known. But, there is a downside to that. If you **** it up, you're kinda screwed. I would go for something like Hangar 18, or cowboys from hell:) Those songs always gets the crowd going:)

as far as song writing goes. I tend to sit down with my guitar and try to write something when I feel inspired. Then I show it at practise and we usually jam the **** out of the riffs. We keep the good parts, and eventually we structure it into a song.

If you don't have anything when coming to practise, just jamming is awesome, you almost always come up with something that is good, or almost there. When It's almost there you work together with the other guys until you are satisfied.

Also, don't finish of a song you are not satisfied with, 'couse you want to love playing it.

pepsi_lovr
01-22-2007, 02:08 AM
anything by lamb of god

:pepsi:

guitarfan93
01-24-2007, 07:36 PM
for a good pump u up song would be (overused i know) Raining Blood-Slayer. I f you nail it right it sounds really good live.

dez_cole
01-28-2007, 07:19 AM
actually postmortem into raining blood would be a great crowd pleaser.
and for the noise gate/suppressor i would totally go for an ISP Decimator

Syn Harvest
01-28-2007, 10:18 AM
actually postmortem into raining blood would be a great crowd pleaser.
and for the noise gate/suppressor i would totally go for an ISP Decimator

Hes the onyl one i completley agree with