Why Was This Article Denied?

PDA

View Full Version : Why Was This Article Denied?

yawn
01-14-2007, 04:12 AM
I submitted this last night and just found out it had been denied. I was just wondering why.

Here's the article:

Tool's Aenima, A Brief Lyrical Analysis

Everyone knows the cliché line, "Maynard's a genius".
Here we'll take a look at one of his finest lyrical pieces and
develop an understanding of this caustic work of social criticism.

Before I say anything about the song, familiarize yourself with the lyrics.
It's not completely necessary, but it sure adds a whole lot to the experience.

Aenima, by Maynard James Keenan of Tool

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see Armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will;
I sure could use a vacation from this
Bull sh♣t three ring circus sideshow of

Freaks here in this hopeless f♣cking hole we call LA.
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away –
Any f♣cking time, any f♣cking day;
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Fret for your figure and fret for your latte and
Fret for your hairpiece and fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your Prozac and fret for your pilot and
Fret for your contract and fret for your car.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky,
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves,
Followed by fault lines that cannot sit still,
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh♣ts.

One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied –

Learn to swim.

Mom's gonna fix it all soon.
Mom's coming round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Learn to swim.

F♣ck L. Ron Hubbard and f♣ck all his clones,
F♣ck all those gun-toting hip gangster wannabes,
F♣ck retro anything; f♣ck your tattoos,
F♣ck all you junkies and f♣ck your short memory,
F♣ck smiley glad-hands with hidden agendas,
F♣ck these dysfunctional, insecure actresses

Cause I'm praying for rain;
I'm praying for tidal waves.
I want to see the ground give way;
I want to watch it all go down.
Mom please flush it all away;
I want to watch it go right in and down.
I want to watch it go right in;
Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again;
Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines.
I can't imagine why you wouldn't
Welcome any change, my friend.
I want to see it all come down.

Suck it down.

Flush it down.

Maynard James Keenan’s “Ænema” is, at its heart, a caustic work of social criticism directed explicitly at those who center their lives on the trivial matters of life. The word “Ænema” is a combination of the Latin term “anima” (soul) and “enema” (anal cleansing). Thus, “Ænema” is essentially a cleansing of the soul. The lyrics of the song acutely reflect this idea, for Keenan refers to the idea of California sinking into the Pacific Ocean after the San Andreas fault breaks. Whereas most would see this as a terrible state-wide Armageddon, Maynard instead presents the optimistic view of this natural disaster as a cleansing akin to the Biblical Great Flood.

The primary target of this scathing song is the city of Los Angeles – a place Maynard disgustedly refers to as a “three ring circus of freaks”. Essentially, he sees L.A. as a cesspool for all the trivialities of the modern Western world. He sarcastically welcomes the targeted people of this song to fret for their figures (superficial aesthetics), their lattes (symbols of modern pseudo-intellectuality), their hairpieces (more tools of superficial aesthetics), their lawsuits (driven by selfish monetary greed), their Prozac (drugs used to treat those who are depressed with life), their pilots (possibly referring to Palm Pilots, which are symbols of business-driven materialism), their contracts (meaningless business deals), and their cars (often seen as the epitome of materialism).

Likewise, Maynard also directly attacks numerous groups associated with falsehood. L. Ron Hubbard is the founder of the Church of Scientology, and he is known for the many false embellishments of his own life story, as well as the idea that he created a religion solely to scam others for financial gain. Maynard noticeably refers to Hubbard’s followers as “clones”, suggesting an ignorant, mindless role on their behalf. Additionally, Maynard disparages “gun-toting hip gangster wannabes”, thus revealing his aversion for their inherent nature of fraudulence. Meanwhile, he also belittles those who place anything “retro” on an unfaultable pedestal of divinity, those who get tattoos simply for the sake of being “cool”, the whole culture of “junkies”, and emotionally weak people who truly have little to worry about compared to the rest of the world (“rich whiney kids”).

Thus, Maynard compares this “hole” we call LA to a toilet bowl full of fecal matter, and appropriately he prays for Mother Earth to “flush it all away”. This imagery of referring to a city as a bowl full of feces is a nauseating, but effective form of expression.

Despite the scornful nature of these lyrics, however, Maynard still manages to approach this topic with a considerable amount of humor. His line, “I’ll see you down in Arizona Bay”, is an amusing assurance inspired by a comedy routine of the controversial Bill Hicks, a stand-up comedian known for his satire and social criticism.

Above all, however, this song’s dominant message lies in the lyrics, “Learn to swim”. Although simple, this line is a stern, cautionary warning to “deal with it”. If God truly was to flood the world again, there would be two groups of people – those who learned to swim, and those who were flushed down.

Yep, there's the article. I even entered it as an "Artists' Discussions" contribution, so it seemed appropriate to me. Thanks to anyone who can clear this up.

Covin
01-14-2007, 04:27 AM
I don't know. Most of this is common sense if you just read the lyrics, but it is a very well-written article; articulate and concise.

AdamDK
01-14-2007, 05:16 AM
Perhaps it was denied because of the swearing in the lyrics?

yawn
01-14-2007, 05:24 AM
I don't know. Most of this is common sense if you just read the lyrics, but it is a very well-written article; articulate and concise.True, the main idea of the song is definitely common sense. But I thought fans of Tool might enjoy gaining insight into some of the more subtle aspects of the lyrics, like the reference to Bill Hicks' Arizona Bay.

Perhaps it was denied because of the swearing in the lyrics?Meh, that seems pretty unlikely. Still, that could be it...

AdamDK
01-14-2007, 05:47 AM
Well yawm, considering swearing is starred (e.g. f***) on the forums, I'm guessing it's not allowed in articles.

Sir Edwin CBE
01-14-2007, 05:53 AM
E-mail and ask - I really can't see why it'd be denied.

yawn
01-16-2007, 03:42 AM
Well yawm, considering swearing is starred (e.g. f***) on the forums, I'm guessing it's not allowed in articles.Well, if worst comes to worst, I suppose I could just censor Tool's lyrics. Any mods here able to clarify whether that's it or not?

marchoso
01-16-2007, 08:16 AM
which section did you submit it under? also, go to my account and see if there's a star by the title. if there is it will have a reason for the rejection.

yawn
01-16-2007, 11:19 AM
^ Under "Artists' Discussions".

There wasn't any star.

matter
01-17-2007, 12:33 PM
resubmit this please

yawn
01-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Hm, I was wondering - how long does the "Waiting" status take place? I submitted it at least a week ago, and it's been "Waiting" this whole time...

Excuse my impatience :sad:

marchoso
01-26-2007, 07:40 AM
sometimes it takes a while and sometimes it doesn't. just have faith and be patient.

yawn
02-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Erm...is it supposed to take over a month? :confused:

Excuse my impatience again. :sad:

ParanoiaMusic
02-15-2007, 06:58 PM
It's a cool article about one of my favorite bands and one my favorite songs. But I think you've put more into than Maynard did. I mean, when you break each line down and analyze everything, you're going to find connections here and there and attempt to attribute some kind of genius to somebody.

It's basically an anti-"here are the things that piss off most of the 30 somethings". I mean really. Most of this is stuff we talk about at work and shake our heads over. Cell phones and PDA's. Rich bitches that won't eat. Tatoo guys that think they're different. Junkies that are still sitting in the same spot you saw them sitting in 10 years ago.

I don't believe for a minute that "Learn to Swim" is anything more than in-your-face "learn to swim mother ****er, I can't wait till this place falls in the ocean".

It's excellent writing - no doubt. But your article seems to attribute a genius, rather than a talent. Talent can come across as genius to others...

Just my two cents, not trying to rain on your parade...you have good writing skills

yawn
02-15-2007, 07:34 PM
^ Well, I kept that in mind, and pesonally I don't think I went any deeper than what was originally intended. I made a point not to impose any external meaning on it, but I did still want to flesh out all that the lyrics have to offer.

yawn
03-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Um...I originally submitted this article in mid-January, and it's already March - is it supposed to take this long? :confused:

marchoso
03-13-2007, 05:11 AM
i'm guessing the delay has something to do with the contributions acting funky lately. don't worry about it though, as long as it hasn't been denied you should be good.

yawn
03-31-2007, 12:18 AM
Hm...is it really supposed to take two and a half months? :sad: