Best Live Bands

PDA

View Full Version : Best Live Bands

emhaslam
01-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Ive now been 2 a wide range of concerts n just wondered wot evry1s opinion was on hu the best live band is.

Personally some of the best that Iv seen are U2, Foo Fighters, Axl Rose & Backing Band, Pink Floyd and Velvet Revolver

The worst band iv seen were the Chilis. I was so disappointed with them.

mookie_baylock
01-14-2007, 02:18 PM
the chili's put on a pretty good show when i saw them...pearl jam were amazing, as were muse...and i saw biffy clyro on friday and they were unreal aswell...

general_koffi
01-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Simple Plan live rocked!

LOLZ. That hurt. Actually I was standing in line for beer when they were on.

The best I've seen is Metallica, but then not too many bands come to SA. Metallica rocked.

TheHeartbreaker
01-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Definitely The Allman Brothers Band.

FZRaven
01-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Well that best live band i have seen would have to be Matisyahu, he rocked.

Cptbeefheart
01-14-2007, 10:23 PM
The Allmans, Pearl Jam, and last but not least DMB. They all put on a great show that can't be touched.

Doodleface
01-14-2007, 10:26 PM
-Led Zeppelin could play the same set list at 2 diffrent concerts and have one last for 4 hours and the other for 6.
-The Who destroyed all of their stuff at the end of every show.
-I would give my left testicle to see a Grateful Dead show.

as for bands that we can see today. (you can still see The Who.. but its not the same without Moon or Entwistle)

-Dream Theater was awesome when I saw them great muscianship and live Metallica and Rush medley's > stage presence
-Motley Crue was good, but only because of Tommy Lee's 'Titty Cam'
-Barenaked Ladies are actually very funny onstage.
-as are Great Big Sea.
-I had the sweet sweet chance to see Robert Plant, he kicked ass
-and Trans-Siberian Orchestra shows can make you blind.. seriously, there wicked

TheHeartbreaker
01-14-2007, 10:41 PM
-Motley Crue was good, but only because of Tommy Lee's 'Titty Cam'

I heard that they are one of the worst bands (musically speaking) ever.

laid_to_waste
01-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Dillinger Escape Plan.

Cptbeefheart
01-15-2007, 01:05 AM
The Crue have a ton of energy live and they are a blast to see, but other than Mick Mars, they blow musically.

TheLastTrueJedi
01-15-2007, 01:32 AM
Ive now been 2 a wide range of concerts n just wondered wot evry1s opinion was on hu the best live band is.

Personally some of the best that Iv seen are U2, Foo Fighters, Axl Rose & Backing Band, Pink Floyd and Velvet Revolver

moe. puts on a solid show

Phil Lesh and Friends is good if you like good jams

TheHeartbreaker
01-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Almost any jam band is going to be a good live act.

Check out bands such as The Allman Brothers Band, The Grateful Dead (disbanded), Phish (disbanded), Phil Lesh and Friends, Trey Anastasiom String Cheese Incident, The Dave Matthews Band, Umphree's McGee, The Derek Trucks Band etc.

Another band, not very well-known, is a band from India called Indian Ocean. Easily one of the most talented bands I have ever heard.

The Crue have a ton of energy live and they are a blast to see, but other than Mick Mars, they blow musically.

I heard that they just scream, "****!" the whole time. :p:

TheLastTrueJedi
01-15-2007, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't say ANY jam band is going to be a good live act, but I see what you are saying. I personally feel like improv music is the closest thing we have to what I consider TRUE emotional communication.

TheHeartbreaker
01-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Okay, not every jam band is going to be good, but a lot of them are.

TheLastTrueJedi
01-15-2007, 08:41 PM
yeah I agree I pretty much only go to improv or jazz shows now

hardrock1315
01-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Agnostic Front, the Suspicion, Shadows Fall, the Repercussions, the Queers, and a bunch more I'm not gonna bother to write out now are really good. Also, even though I don't really like them on record, the Unseen are awesome live.

Also, pretty much everyone really needs to go to some shows in a more intimate setting, rather than sitting in a stadium, watching some band in a seat from a couple hundred feet away. Trust me, you'll like it.

tubab0y
01-15-2007, 10:04 PM
satriani is amazing- he barely stays with the music. he managed to make 5 minute songs twice that long live.

me511
01-15-2007, 10:30 PM
FAMILY FORCE 5
hands down, no other band is so entertaining on stage. plus, they're freakin loud
their music is sorta corny, but they sweet live.

ledzepp2994
01-16-2007, 08:19 PM
ok so my fav show humm prouably a phill lesh and frends show out side in pouring rain and mud all in vt i think it was last year maby 2 ago but any hoo it was phill lesh then trey came out and played with him and then mike came out on stage too then page came and played a song with all of them on one stage. it was pretty much amazing they did 2 sets and phill did one set befor that then trey and mike and some other band i forget their name did a set that was freeking amazing it was befor treys newest album came out so he was playing songs from it. this all happened up here in vt.

but then again State Radio with franti was good too

TheLastTrueJedi
01-17-2007, 01:54 AM
Punct U Ate

Child In Time
01-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Pearl Jam

-Huge changes in setlists. B-sides, covers, improvs. Not to mention tags at the end of Daughter,Betterman etc.
-Change in lyrics to go with where they are/issues in politics etc.
-Excellent interaction with the crowd- after taking pictures of the front row, Eddie said "these are pictures of the best singers in the world."
-3 hour gigs.

GiantRaven
01-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Opeth
Muse
Rammstein

Abe
01-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Well, I figured that this thread would be bigger.

Meh, The White Stripes are the best band I've seen live, they were THAT good.

TheLastTrueJedi
01-18-2007, 01:54 AM
Steve Kimock and Friends

sorry I had to

spittle8
01-18-2007, 02:10 AM
Pearl Jam. Hurt was pretty awesome. The Cure as well.

Monkeygone2hvn
01-18-2007, 02:34 AM
modest mouse and weezer are the best live bands that i've ever seen

Teh1337Hax0rz
01-19-2007, 03:48 PM
lamb of god, and killswitch engage

igotabcrich32
01-19-2007, 05:59 PM
satriani is amazing- he barely stays with the music. he managed to make 5 minute songs twice that long live.

not as impressed when Phish was able to make 2 minute songs 30 minutes :)

TheLastTrueJedi
01-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Which 2 mintue tunes are you talking about? Not trying to be a douche, I am actually curious

igotabcrich32
01-19-2007, 11:20 PM
maybe not 2 minutes, that was me exagerating, 4 minute songs and so on though :p:

but Ghost (3:52) is 31:47 on a show i have (8-2-03 and 8-3-03, the It Festival)

also Wolfman's Brother, 4:28 on Hoist, 28:21 on Live Phish 11 and 30:43 on Live Phish 16

TheLastTrueJedi
01-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Yeah these are obvious I was just wondering about the 2 minute songs.

jhardcore
01-20-2007, 07:25 AM
I saw The Living End live and they were absolutely magnificent. They played everything perfectly, and did quite alot of improv which was awesome. The were so energetic, with Chris Cheney running around the stage, climbing on Scott's bass and the bass drum and stuff.

Tophue
01-20-2007, 03:19 PM
youtube At the Drive in Concerts... thats a great live band

I_I
01-21-2007, 12:23 AM
KoRn is extremely awesome live

amzrock
01-21-2007, 03:42 PM
I don't know the other but see how hoobastank are on stage!
Look at dan ,hoobastank's guitarist, he makes a kind of some specaculary jumps!... he really jumps and very well lol!
Doug hoobastank's singer is awesome too!he moves very much on stage!
The rest of the band is cool too!
If you don't agree or if you would know more go to youtube.com and see some videos of them!

trey-col89
01-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Phish.... end of story you can close the thread now.

DanteR*
01-21-2007, 06:45 PM
I heard that they just scream, "****!" the whole time. :p:
I heard that you need to buy The Carnival of Sins Motley Crue DVD, look on Youtube for live performances, or go to one of their concerts instead of making stupid assumptions and/or relying on what you have "heard".

So, yeah, Crue and Aerosmith

Kurtsmyhero06
01-21-2007, 07:06 PM
well the greatest band ive evr seen line was disturbed at ozz fest seriously they made the whole day there music is pretty good but its just the way evry1 there can rly get into it

joedogg9999
01-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Pearl Jam

-Huge changes in setlists. B-sides, covers, improvs. Not to mention tags at the end of Daughter,Betterman etc.
-Change in lyrics to go with where they are/issues in politics etc.
-Excellent interaction with the crowd- after taking pictures of the front row, Eddie said "these are pictures of the best singers in the world."
-3 hour gigs.

bingo.

Pearl Jam is BY FAR the best live band out there. i have been to 10 different shows by them, and each and every single time the setlist was DRASTICALLY different. that is due to the fact the have a larger catelogue of awsome songs than any other band out there.

and yea they play longer than anyone out there as well.

joedogg9999
01-21-2007, 11:16 PM
not as impressed when Phish was able to make 2 minute songs 30 minutes :)

yes, 30 minutes of even more annoyancy. ill pass.

TheLastTrueJedi
01-21-2007, 11:59 PM
yes, 30 minutes of even more annoyancy. ill pass.

Lol, well that's ok. You like most people take powerful music over detailed music.

Poor choice in my opinion, but yeah most people do it so go for it :rolleyes:

IrishBlues
01-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Phish
Allman Brothers
Grateful Dead

Pretty much any good jam band ....

Masochist_Lust
01-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Cannibal Corpse were good but they were boring, Nevermore weren't all that good, Skinless were good, and Slipknot were fucking incredible. They're so entertaining.

--Masochist Lust

ECistheBest
01-22-2007, 12:28 AM
Deep Purple, Allman Bros, Zeppelin, Eric Clapton.

Hamm
01-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Obviously none of you have ever seen AC/DC live. I've done front of house for 20 years now, so I have seen allot of bands AC/DC is by far the best show, hands down.

They're in a class all by themselves.

medium mike
01-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Godsmack/Metallica show was the best I have seen. would love to see Rammstein though

qOcOP
01-22-2007, 07:08 PM
slayer is pretty fun live

shmooty
01-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Muse are simply incredible live

Lost_Rose
01-23-2007, 03:48 PM
oooooo..........

great live bands I have seen? difficult seen so many but the top 5 would be in no particular order

Velvet Revolver
Oasis
The Killers (not a band I listen to but Live oh my they are awesome)
James Blunt
Motorhead

MaidenDeth
01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Iron Maiden - Always full of energy on stage, they never get a note wrong and maiden shows are always the most atmospheric. Especially in song like Fear of the dark and Run to the Hills. I feel very sorry for any band that has to follow Maiden onstage. (although not many do these days)

guitarhero_764
01-23-2007, 06:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLBpLz5ELPI

need I say more?

Nightrain7
01-23-2007, 06:47 PM
New Guns N' Roses

WhereArtEsteban
01-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Explosions in the Sky are amazing. Early November sound just like they do on the albums (which is awsome). The Who (saw in 06) are still great to this day.

OH and Sigur Ros=Orgasm for ears live and on album.

Burpin'Worm
01-24-2007, 12:41 PM
As far as guitar playing goes Buddy Whittington playing with John Mayall's Bluesbrakers.

biffylover
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Ye. The chillis are extremely dissapointing. Flee's onstage chat is utter bollucks. Biffy Clyro Are the best band ive seen live. Absolutely awesome. Glasgow barrowlands Last Night. Billy Talent, Reuben, We Are Scientists And The Who are also extremely good live bands. Ive not seen muse live yet but i reckon they cld take the 2nd spot after biffy. Muse's live shows just look absolutely fantastic.

rodrigomierh
01-25-2007, 12:54 AM
Guns N Roses (old) use to put awesome shows, as i have heard. to bad i could never see them.

walkinbazooka
01-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Opeth.

krymson
01-26-2007, 05:35 PM
The Who put on a great show, and of course Alice Cooper was ****ing awsome.

bata022
01-28-2007, 09:39 AM
BON JOVI...with right set list

"Tele" Steve
01-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Robert Randolph & The Family Band
Los Lobos
The Dead
Los Lonely Boys
Audioslave
String Cheese Incident
Buddy Guy
B.B. King
W.C. Clark
Vallejo
Bob Dylan
Ponty Bone & The Squeeze-Tones
The Derailers
The White Stripes
The Flaming Lips
The Raconteurs
White Ghost Shivers
Cruiserweight
Ted Leo + The Pharmacists
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Cat Power
Calexico
Willie Nelson
The Black Angels
Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley
Roky Erickson
The Arc Angels
Charlie Musselwhite
Wilco
The Killdares
George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic

untitled039
01-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Muse by far put on the best show all the lazers and weird effects :-D I've also heard that the Foo Fighters put on a brilliant show

Sid Vicouis
01-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Nine Black Alps is todays best live band for me by far.

tomo_stan33
01-29-2007, 01:03 AM
Tool and Muse.

Last night :D

original=punk
01-29-2007, 04:08 PM
i know im gonna get flamed for this but P!ATD were pretty darn tight for their live show, and they had so many performers onstage with them, it was like a twisted vaudevile act.

ETID were awsome, they knew how to keep the audience pumped

Bobbert
01-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Muse by far put on the best show all the lazers and weird effects :-D I've also heard that the Foo Fighters put on a brilliant show

you've heard right :p:

sadistic_monkey
01-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Tool's the best I've been too. Muse was amazing, but I got into it much more at Tool.

ECwomantoneman
01-30-2007, 04:32 PM
I'd say the Who are the best ever live act.

Live at Leeds > other live albums (inc. how the West Was Won) (and...except Cream's live albums...but of course!)

Mavanas
01-31-2007, 04:48 AM
Rammstein, Lamb Of God, Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse, Dimmu Borgir, Children Of Bodom, The Pillows, and Dir En Grey have been the best shows I've seen. I would say Radiohead or Muse, but I have been disappointed with their shows lately.

GLP_Arclite
01-31-2007, 04:59 AM
Well, I figured that this thread would be bigger.

Meh, The White Stripes are the best band I've seen live, they were THAT good.

oh my yes

freakin awesome

exileguitar
02-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Rammstein, Lamb Of God, Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse, Dimmu Borgir, Children Of Bodom, The Pillows, and Dir En Grey have been the best shows I've seen. I would say Radiohead or Muse, but I have been disappointed with their shows lately.

Dir en Grey is definately the best band I have ever seen live :headbang:

nerk13
02-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Green Day

Just watch any of their live clips on YouTube. They are ****ing awesome. Billie really can work a crowd and they do an impressive job of keeping you entertained.

telex289
02-03-2007, 12:39 AM
**** half these suggestions..

the grateful dead are probably one of the best live acts ever.. they toured relentlessly for years and gathered such a HUGE following of cult deadhead fans. the only other band i can thinkof that has a similar following is phish, and ill go there next. their setlist rotations, 2-4 night runs at one venue, and non-stop touring selling out arenas for years is a milestone in rock history. they've also played at so many different occasions (altamont, woodstock, etc.). an d have colloborated with so many different bands/artists over the years.

just because greenday jumps around on stage and curses and has flashy lights doesnt mean its a good show.. they just play crowd favorites and sell overpriced tickets to teeny boppers.

phish is another band that set the milestone after the grateful dead. 1994 they playe voer 120 shows in ONE YEAR alone. in total, they've played well over 1100 shows since they've began.

they went frmo playing at a small bar to an airforce base in main drawing crowds of 80,000+ people for an entire weekend festival. they've had numerous guests play with them live. their setlist rotations is simply unique and one of a kind. not to mention the entire live aspect of phish is so unique. they've played so many different cover songs. they played a new years even festival in 99 on an indian reservation in florida where on NYE they played a 7-HOUR SET until sunrise! their light producer, chris kuroda, has also made a significant impract on many of the improvised lighting rigs alot of bands use today. and above all their amazing and mind blowing live performances with the band improvising 4-5 minutes songs into 20-30 minute jams live is simply one of a kind. no two phish shows are the same and this is 100% taken to heart here.

qOcOP
02-03-2007, 05:32 AM
Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax

nerk13
02-03-2007, 03:42 PM
just because greenday jumps around on stage and curses and has flashy lights doesnt mean its a good show.. they just play crowd favorites and sell overpriced tickets to teeny boppers.

Dude, that's not all they do. Have you seen one of their concerts? They do a whole shit load of stuff. They have The Bunny, a psuedo-masturbation stunt, leopard print thongs, etc.
They even pull members of the audience up to play Knowledge. Billie, Tre, and Mike show them how to play real quick, the members play, then the guitarist can keep the guitar, the drummer and bassist can do a stage dive. IMO, they're awesome.

Green Day went from playing underground punk clubs and people's basements to playing concerts with 65,000 people showing up just to see them. They've been around.

(BTW, Green Day is two words. There is no greenday.)

DownInAHole.
02-03-2007, 04:06 PM
RHCP is the best badn live. Bar none.

zeppelin4evr41
02-04-2007, 03:14 AM
pink floyd

wanna argue? check out comfortably numb at the pulse concert

sheumack111
02-04-2007, 03:30 AM
Yngwie was insane last year..... Probably the best live performance ill ever see, the energy he puts into his music.... And then the playing!!!!! He would be extremely tough to beat

02-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Blue Oyster Cult

daytripper75
02-04-2007, 01:16 PM
best ive seen: Green Day, Pearl Jam, System of A Down, Black Label Society

tbarrettl
02-07-2007, 12:08 AM
I have actually heard Rise Against, NIN, and Kill Hannah are way better live then in the Studio Recordings.

I have heard the Red Hot Chili Peppers are not spectacular.

die_for_rock
02-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Ramm Stein concert are crazy. The best. AHHHHHHHH Pantera was insane too. They started playing and a mosh erupted through the whole crowd.

ukwildcat
02-08-2007, 06:15 PM
widespread panic is awesome live

Make.Shift.
02-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Biffy Clyro gigs are amazing

Gakusey
02-17-2007, 04:58 PM
The lads who play at Hard Rock Cafe Kuala Lumpur on Saturdays... Seriously!

joshsirjoshules
03-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Robert Randolph & The Family Band
Los Lobos
The Dead
Los Lonely Boys
Audioslave
String Cheese Incident
Buddy Guy
B.B. King
W.C. Clark
Vallejo
Bob Dylan
Ponty Bone & The Squeeze-Tones
The Derailers
The White Stripes
The Flaming Lips
The Raconteurs
White Ghost Shivers
Cruiserweight
Ted Leo + The Pharmacists
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Cat Power
Calexico
Willie Nelson
The Black Angels
Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley
Roky Erickson
The Arc Angels
Charlie Musselwhite
Wilco
The Killdares
George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic

Okay, you put Tom Petty, Cat Power, The Arc Angels, Wilco, The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, and The Flaming Lips. Already all of my favorite bands, but you put Roky Erickson as well. Congratulations, "Tele" Steve, you are now my favorite person.

TehNez
03-06-2007, 11:58 PM
I have heard the Red Hot Chili Peppers are not spectacular.

Where the hell would you hear that? They put on one of the best shows ever.

Tool is amazing live as well.

I'm seeing Clutch at the end of the month, we'll see how that goes...

S)E-Javelin
03-07-2007, 04:27 AM
U2 and Coldplay are definitely some of the best live bands out there, their music just fits in that region of stadium style sound. Keane is also up there, they sound really good live.

x_BlackParade_x
03-07-2007, 05:34 AM
MCR - also got 5 Ks in Kerrang!

Draken
03-07-2007, 06:10 AM
Muse
Radiohead
Reel Big Fish
Green Day
are all great bands live

utahotc
03-07-2007, 03:57 PM
DREAM THEATER! The concert I saw, Mike Portnoy brought Jaosn Bittner on stage and they fricking DUELED!!!

JoNnHannah
03-08-2007, 07:36 AM
I love seeing Aiden play, they have some crazy energy.

bradyg
03-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Meh, probably Metallica, and Black Sabbath. Not judging vocals, but they just have insane shows.

Jackal58
03-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Blue Oyster Cult

"Tele" Steve
03-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Okay, you put Tom Petty, Cat Power, The Arc Angels, Wilco, The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, and The Flaming Lips. Already all of my favorite bands, but you put Roky Erickson as well. Congratulations, "Tele" Steve, you are now my favorite person.

Ha! Thanks!

Godsmack1310
03-10-2007, 06:54 PM
The bands that i think play the best live are Godsmack, Korn, Three Days Grace, U2 and Alice in Chains

DownInAHole.
03-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Red Hot Chili Peppers. They have a stage presence like no other.

mercedesisbenz
03-11-2007, 02:39 PM
The Chili Peppers sucked live.

Id give the award to Phish (when they were around). Gov't Mule is also really good live as well as moe., Medeski Martin & Wood, and Yonder Mountain String Band.

DownInAHole.
03-11-2007, 03:55 PM
The Chili Peppers sucked live.
What?!?!? Are you kidding? They are by far the best band live.

lilrocknroller
03-13-2007, 08:45 PM

GREENDAY

Masochist_Lust
03-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Terror :headbang:

Godsmack1310
03-13-2007, 09:50 PM
:devil: Greenday is horrible. :devil:

some_guy
03-14-2007, 01:36 AM
M U S E

joel_grieve
03-14-2007, 02:51 AM
i'd say
Opeth
Converge
At the Drive In
and
Machine head. hellalive is a ****ing awesome cd.

teenage riot
03-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Towers Of London (I know they aren't liked here but I like them so oh well)
Alice Cooper was amazing.
New York Dolls were really good too.

Sinten
03-15-2007, 03:19 AM
dream theater was amazing when i saw
opeth and dragonforce put on damn good shows as well last time i saw

nearly every hard/metalcore band ive seen live has sucked except for killswitch engage

HawkaLuigi
03-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Nine Inch Nails were pretty cool. I liked Pat Metheny though.

EVH=amazing
03-16-2007, 01:12 PM
JOURNEY was absolutely amazing, and so was AC/DC. Angus was incredible, and Journey sounds so much beter live than in studio.

machine^
03-19-2007, 03:27 PM
If you ever have seen Pink Floyd live you probably want to see them again! :P

You dont even need to like their music to be touched by it.

KISS is very good live aswell..

Its alot of bands that are really good in the playing way live.. Tho those bands i took up now is two that got both a magnificent show and simultaneously playing like it were playback =).

Duljan
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM
most music is better live, but I've got to say that I love to see poison live. and mötley crüe, alice cooper, nasty idols and crazy lixx. www.nastyidols.com www.crazylixx.com <-- two great swedish sleazebands