The Joe Satriani Thread

PDA

View Full Version : The Joe Satriani Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

xtopher_aaron
01-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Ok i just searched for one but couldnt find any.. so here goes

Welcome To The Joe Satriani Thread!!

Here we salute a fine and most talented guitar player who has influenced many over time, with his Strange Beautiful Music.

Anyone else have anything they would like to share? About The Man,
Joe Satriani!!

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p192/xtopher_aaron/CoolSatch.jpg

metal Lover
01-15-2007, 01:53 AM
I just got a jsx head with a marshall 1960A cab. nicest amp I could possibly ask for for the price. I like it better than the Mesa Recto series even though they are completely different

xtopher_aaron
01-15-2007, 02:10 AM
id love a JSX peavey man.. damn.. :(

aeginotu
01-15-2007, 02:24 AM
As would I.
I love his music, it is absolutely wonderful.
I've tried his signature guitar and it was alright.
(Nothing can come close to a JEM through this fancy Bogner. It sounded wonderful and really made my playing sound like something that isn't shit.)

xtopher_aaron
01-15-2007, 02:43 AM
oh man, you guys are so lucky, you get to use JSX amps, Jems and JS guitars... where i live, youd be lucky to come in contact with and RG.. thank god i had my S470 brought down from the States..

wasp2020
01-15-2007, 02:52 AM
Absolutely fantastic songwriter. Absolutely. Fantastic.

6DOIT
01-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Any of you guys pick up the new live CD????..........I got it the other day..................It really focuses on the bluesier side of his playing IMO................What are your impressions???

Resiliance
01-15-2007, 12:44 PM
He took lessons with Lennie Tristano and Billy Bauer. That's some cool shit.

Not many people know that, I've found. Ofcourse, they need to know a fair bit about jazz in order to even be impressed by that.

oh man, you guys are so lucky, you get to use JSX amps, Jems and JS guitars... where i live, youd be lucky to come in contact with and RG.. thank god i had my S470 brought down from the States..

Where's that?

wasp2020
01-15-2007, 03:43 PM
I love the version fo Always With Me Always With You on the new DVD. And One Robot's Dream.

And I love that new bass player (Dave LaRue), on Meaning of Love and Cool #9...

johnny_tapia
01-15-2007, 04:20 PM
has anyone elses copy of his new live cd got the tracklisting all messed up?

lobster624
01-15-2007, 04:48 PM
has anyone seen crowd chant live??????

2112swartz
01-15-2007, 04:58 PM
hes awesome on G3. i liked his song choices on live in tokyo alot better that the ones on live in denver.

PooKoo
01-15-2007, 06:29 PM
has anyone seen crowd chant live??????
Yup.

Little Savage
01-15-2007, 08:02 PM
I own a JS1000BTB

Beautiful guitar : )

lobster624
01-15-2007, 08:40 PM
is it awesome live?

tubab0y
01-15-2007, 10:06 PM
he's pure gold live. he can jam like crazy, and same with improv.

xtopher_aaron
01-15-2007, 11:28 PM
He took lessons with Lennie Tristano and Billy Bauer. That's some cool shit.

Not many people know that, I've found. Ofcourse, they need to know a fair bit about jazz in order to even be impressed by that.

I knew he did that..
Dont forget Joe Pass..

Did you know, when Joe used to take lessons, If ever he hit a bad note, he would be sent home and the lesson was over. Thats it, i think he was taking those lessons from Joe Pass at the time. It didnt matter how long it took him to find the right, but he made sure he did. And mind you, all that training at age 17.. could you imagine the capacity of his playing now. Geeess...

metal Lover
01-16-2007, 12:19 AM
I knew he did that..
Dont forget Joe Pass..

Did you know, when Joe used to take lessons, If ever he hit a bad note, he would be sent home and the lesson was over. Thats it, i think he was taking those lessons from Joe Pass at the time. It didnt matter how long it took him to find the right, but he made sure he did. And mind you, all that training at age 17.. could you imagine the capacity of his playing now. Geeess...
what an asshole! but it worked, didn't it?

pavan
01-16-2007, 01:57 AM
His earlier albums I like better.

Resiliance
01-16-2007, 06:27 AM
I knew he did that..
Dont forget Joe Pass..

It's just too bad he didn't do anything with all his jazz training imo... I find him bland to listen to mostly.

wasp2020
01-16-2007, 08:06 AM
^ He's done plenty with it. Have you seen the modulations in Engines of Creation (and the dozens of other examples)? And IIRC, he directly credited a single jazz artist for the chorus in Hordes of Locusts (which escapes me at the moment)...

xtopher_aaron
01-16-2007, 08:44 AM
I think he just does what he does. Its his style that defines him, some may like it some may not.. But atleast its from the heart you know?

But one things for sure, I know for a fact hes more than capable of playing any kind of style..
I was watching this video of him, he was talking about Modal scales and all that, while he was talking, he was just soloing mindlessly all over the guitar. and i was like.. WooW.. even that sounded beautiful, all he had was his Chrome Boy, JSX Peavey, DS-1 and DD-2, 3 or 6 im not sure.. he had very little gain on so it sounder so sweet and clean.. What a musician, what a guitarist.. SALUTE!!

Resiliance
01-16-2007, 12:28 PM
^ He's done plenty with it. Have you seen the modulations in Engines of Creation (and the dozens of other examples)? And IIRC, he directly credited a single jazz artist for the chorus in Hordes of Locusts (which escapes me at the moment)...

I'm talking about jazz. Not using jazz influences and theory in what are essentially rock songs.

And to be honest, I wouldn't class modulation as something "from" jazz.

I think he just does what he does. Its his style that defines him, some may like it some may not.. But atleast its from the heart you know?

But one things for sure, I know for a fact hes more than capable of playing any kind of style..
I was watching this video of him, he was talking about Modal scales and all that, while he was talking, he was just soloing mindlessly all over the guitar. and i was like.. WooW.. even that sounded beautiful, all he had was his Chrome Boy, JSX Peavey, DS-1 and DD-2, 3 or 6 im not sure.. he had very little gain on so it sounder so sweet and clean.. What a musician, what a guitarist.. SALUTE!!

Yeah, I know... Notice the imo. :)

xtopher_aaron
01-16-2007, 01:09 PM
peace!! i noticed the IMO, just saying is all.. Kudos..

wasp2020
01-16-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm talking about jazz. Not using jazz influences and theory in what are essentially rock songs.

And to be honest, I wouldn't class modulation as something "from" jazz.

Oh. Never mind then. I thought you were just talking about inspiration/influence.

Yeah, the only real jazzy thing from Satch I can think of is that outro solo to Is there Love in Space...

Little Savage
01-16-2007, 07:23 PM
I just got a jsx head with a marshall 1960A cab. nicest amp I could possibly ask for for the price. I like it better than the Mesa Recto series even though they are completely different

Hey Nolan, how much did u pay for for jsx head ?

tubab0y
01-16-2007, 07:27 PM
they go for like $1300 new or somewhere around $750-850 used. a great bargain used.

and if you watch the satch boogie instructional video (floating around on youtube) he goes through all the modes on the tapping section. pretty crazy.

i think he does on the main portion of the song too.

Nite27
01-16-2007, 08:17 PM
out of all the G3 Guys, and/or guitar virtuoso's, Satch is easily my favourite. I have most of his albums, and they're all fantastic. Favourite songs are probably "Circles" "Lights of Heaven" "Ceremony" and "Clouds Race Across the Sky"

EZLN libertad
01-16-2007, 08:27 PM
i really wish i could take lessons from him :(

but hes freakin amazing, i really wanna get his signature ibanez

tubab0y
01-16-2007, 09:07 PM
out of all the G3 Guys, and/or guitar virtuoso's, Satch is easily my favourite. I have most of his albums, and they're all fantastic. Favourite songs are probably "Circles" "Lights of Heaven" "Ceremony" and "Clouds Race Across the Sky"
if you like the studio version of circles, check up on the one from his "satriani live" CD. way better.

Caustic
01-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Satch is one of the only "shredder" types I can listen to. He has the awesome technical skill, the speed, the theory... but he also has taste and one of the most beautiful tones I've ever heard teased out of a guitar.

Others are certainly impressive, but I can't honestly say I see in them what I see in Satch.

metal Lover
01-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Hey Nolan, how much did u pay for for jsx head ?
950 U.S. used, my friend. :cool: -This is Satch

Nite27
01-16-2007, 09:52 PM
if you like the studio version of circles, check up on the one from his "satriani live" CD. way better.

yeah, I have the DVD of that show. Friggin amazing. I might just have to buy the CD as well

tubab0y
01-16-2007, 10:20 PM
the CD is absolutely amazing. i love it.

wasp2020
01-16-2007, 11:05 PM
they go for like $1300 new or somewhere around $750-850 used. a great bargain used.

and if you watch the satch boogie instructional video (floating around on youtube) he goes through all the modes on the tapping section. pretty crazy.

i think he does on the main portion of the song too.

You should check out Engines of Creation. The entire song is a cycle through different modes every measure or so.

And yeah, the DVD is kickass. The outro to Always is amazing (I'm working on uploading it to Youtube >_>). That Circles outro is killer, how it goes all insane and then somehow turns into the Enigmatic riff...And I never expected for One Robot's Dream to blow me away as much as it did. That solo is amazing.

Night_Lights
01-16-2007, 11:18 PM
amazing legato

Satriani_is_God
01-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Oh. Never mind then. I thought you were just talking about inspiration/influence.

Yeah, the only real jazzy thing from Satch I can think of is that outro solo to Is there Love in Space...

Listen to New Blues on The Extremist that song is kind of jazzy..

soulflyV
01-21-2007, 06:09 AM

cool #9??

wasp2020
01-21-2007, 09:24 AM
XD And then there's crazy stuff like Killer Be-bop. Yeah, never mind.

jimmy hendrix 2
01-22-2007, 01:35 PM
can someone reccomend me some satriani songs?

Satriani_is_God
01-23-2007, 02:59 AM
Surfing with the alien, Always with me always with you, love thing, Satch Boogie, The Souls Of Distortion, Searching, Super Colossal, Ten Words, Circles...

jimmy hendrix 2
01-23-2007, 03:07 PM
what guitar does joe use on until we say goodbye live in san fran? the links is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAY3WeZovGk

Scorzerci
01-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Chromeboy I think.

Axegrinder#9
01-23-2007, 04:11 PM
yo guys, check out Satch's playing on this live track called "W" by this band called Particle. They are a electronica based jam band, and they recently released a live album called "Transformations". I've never heard Satch play with a jam band, a really chilled out track to say the least, and to add to Satch's guitar you've got the amazing DJ Logic scratching it up and throwing some swirling soundscapes.

and then get hold of the album, you guys should enjoy it.

Carvin Abuser
01-23-2007, 08:18 PM
His earlier albums I like better.

Same here. I'm a big fan, I like his versatility and melodic playing, but he sorta lost me after Crystal Planet.

wasp2020
01-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Really? Love and SBM are some of my favourites.

Flying in a Blue Dream remains my least favourite.

SurfinWithSatch
01-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Now, I've only browsed through the posts so someone may have said this already but apart from being an incredible musician.....Satch is one of the nicest blokes I've ever met, I met him when he came here last year on the Super Colossal tour.....he was clearly half dead after performing an awesome show, but he came in (meet & greet afterwards) only half an hour after he finished and took the time to talk to everyone in there, had pictures taken, and the first thing he did when he entered the room was hold out a pen and say "Ok how much stuff would you all like me to sign".....not only that, but Dave LaRue came in and said hello to everyone, and his manager came in giving us free posters. Now I don't know about the rest of you but I've never seen such kind hearted rock stars, I can't think of any others that would do all that.

Woah I wrote quite allot there......erm......ROCK ON SATCH :golfclap:

tasty_lick
01-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I watched the 'Live in Sanfrancisco' dvd the other night..
I couldnt believe how rude the crowd were to Stu Hamm,booing the guy when he did his solo...the crowd were there to see satch i know but i would of died of embarrasment if i had been satch and my fans were booing like that...some people need to be taken outside and beaten without mercy !!

blues_rocker
01-24-2007, 12:09 PM
I watched the 'Live in Sanfrancisco' dvd the other night..
I couldnt believe how rude the crowd were to Stu Hamm,booing the guy when he did his solo...the crowd were there to see satch i know but i would of died of embarrasment if i had been satch and my fans were booing like that...some people need to be taken outside and beaten without mercy !!

They were saying "Stuuu". It's basically his chant.

wasp2020
01-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Hell, he was joking around with the crowd too, pretending to be scoff them off before laughing. And you see how crazy everyone goes after his bass solo, they loved him.

They Stu him because they love him!

xtopher_aaron
01-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Stu was great when he was around. Even Matt Bisonette.. now their gone, bye bye!!

But apparently Joe's really happy with his new bassist(forgot name), apparently Stu wasnt into Rock and Matt wasnt into soloing, the new guy he got is somewhat of a mix between the two. If im not mistaken its Jon Petrucci's bassist or something like that..

SuburbanCowboy
01-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Reminds me of a kid in my highschool nicknamed "Moose" who played football. Everytime we had a pep rally and they called his name, we'd all yell "Moooooooose!!" And the principal would flip out cause he'd think we were booing.

Anyway, has anyone seen the new JSX 15-watt Class A tube amp? Apparently Satch recorded a couple of tracks on Super Collosal using an early prototype. I'm looking to buy a small tube amp, but I cant find much info on it.

tasty_lick
01-24-2007, 06:23 PM

Oh well,I didnt know that !

Certainly sounded like booing then,half way thru when he pauses to 'milk' the crowd
it sounds like booing and he looks really pissed off....hmmm

blues_rocker
01-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Oh well,I didnt know that !

Certainly sounded like booing then,half way thru when he pauses to 'milk' the crowd
it sounds like booing and he looks really pissed off....hmmm

Yeah, that's what I thought the first time I heard them chanting too. Then I saw Stu's wiki article, and it said something about the chant.

splice
01-24-2007, 11:39 PM
joe satriani is in my town (meridian, ms) right now..no concert..i am pretty certain that he is doing business with peavey..(this is where peavey was actually born)..my friend got an autograph and my dad is going to allow me to sign out of school tomorrow if he can get somthing set up bc he drew the blueprint for the factories around here...so he can get somthing set up im hoping

splice
01-25-2007, 10:52 PM
damnit :(

HawkaLuigi
01-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I've heard a few Satriani songs cause a friend of mine plays them alot..and I was wondering if any of you guys could point me to a particular album to start me off.

bluesrocker101
01-27-2007, 02:21 PM
I've heard a few Satriani songs cause a friend of mine plays them alot..and I was wondering if any of you guys could point me to a particular album to start me off.

Surfing with the alien.

Satch_Boogie
01-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Surfing with the alien.Seconded.

Rocker3829
01-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Joe is one of my personal top 3 guitar players of all time. His ability to truly understand melody and write songs that the average music fan can listen to while being technically sound floors me. For a perfect example of this, just compare "Flying in a Blue Dream" to "Speed of Light". 2 of my fav Satch songs and their on both sides of the spectrum. FIABD has that great melody and insane legato lines while SOL is all about the rhythm and melody.

Axegrinder#9
01-28-2007, 08:31 PM
anyway, I was recently watching G3: Live in Denver, while tripping face on 3 hits of some pretty good acid (it's an incredibly humorous experience, and highly recommend it) and we sorta came to the conclusion that Satch was pretty ****ing high during the jam, musta toked a good thick blunt... everything kinda fell into place thereafter...

Tantalus
01-29-2007, 02:10 PM
I just got Chrystal Planet, my first Satch cd. I'm pretty amazed, and praying that G3 come into Texas this year (I'm a huge Petrucci fan).

HawkaLuigi
01-30-2007, 03:21 PM
I just wanted to thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction, Joe Satriani is AMAZING!

He's defineitly better than most guitarists out there, I put him in my top 5 guitarists of all time.

Crushing Day is an awesome song!

xtopher_aaron
02-01-2007, 07:57 AM
*BUMP*

This Is a Good Thread.. Let It LIVE!!

ollie09
02-02-2007, 11:07 AM
i really wanna know why joe satriani and pat metheny havent done anything together. they play and sound somewhat similar

HawkaLuigi
02-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Can anyone help me out? I recently got Crystal Planet from a friend and "Up In The Sky" skips. Can someone send me a copy via my email?

It would be much appreciated.

the_invince
02-15-2007, 11:41 PM
after seeing him live you realize just how much he holds back on his albums. When him and the band get into their jamming mood he goes crazy, playing with his teeth behind his head, playing insanely fast, without ever losing his technique. He followed eric johnson and even eric johnson paled in comparison. And to top it off he's the nicest guy, he had another show the next day in another state and yet he stayed for almost 4 hours after the concert to meet fans, take pictures and sign autographs and guitars. His bus left like at 2am. he learned that vocal style of playing from lenny tristano, who made him scat sing guitar lines.

Rocker3829
02-16-2007, 01:23 AM
after seeing him live you realize just how much he holds back on his albums. When him and the band get into their jamming mood he goes crazy, playing with his teeth behind his head, playing insanely fast, without ever losing his technique. He followed eric johnson and even eric johnson paled in comparison. And to top it off he's the nicest guy, he had another show the next day in another state and yet he stayed for almost 4 hours after the concert to meet fans, take pictures and sign autographs and guitars. His bus left like at 2am. he learned that vocal style of playing from lenny tristano, who made him scat sing guitar lines.

That is awesome to hear, i'm finally getting to see a G3 in Myrtle Beach the 31st of next month! Two of my all time fav guitar players in one spot(Petrucci and Satriani) I almost shat myself when I heard that date announced.

mrmo
02-16-2007, 07:33 AM
Joe Satriani rules!
I'm looking forward to the g3 with two of my biggest idols, Paul Giblert and Joe Satriani!

mr kipling
02-18-2007, 06:51 AM
On can't slow down from flying in a blue dream has anyone noticed that satch's singing is actually very good?

Baroque_and_Rol
02-18-2007, 10:41 PM
On can't slow down from flying in a blue dream has anyone noticed that satch's singing is actually very good?
yeah, but the song isn't

Erich yeung
02-18-2007, 11:24 PM
^ Mhmm

voxdude26
02-19-2007, 01:12 AM
off of the Extremist album, what are more songs on that album like Motorcycle Driver. i LOVE that song and i want more songs like it. any suggestions?

wasp2020
02-19-2007, 03:01 AM
off of the Extremist album, what are more songs on that album like Motorcycle Driver. i LOVE that song and i want more songs like it. any suggestions?

Speed of Light
Movin' On

and perhaps you'll like
If I Could Fly
Up In Flames
Psycho Monkey
It's So Good
Back to Shalla-Bal
One Big Rush
A Train of Angels
Ice 9
The Mighty Turtle Head
Surfing with the Alien
The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing
Flavor Crystal 7
Up in The Sky
Raspberry Jam Delta-V
House Full of Bullets
The Extremist

(o_O pretty long list, mind you!)

ollie09
02-22-2007, 08:16 PM
he learned that vocal style of playing from lenny tristano, who made him scat sing guitar lines.
not only that im sure that joe pass taught him well

beadhangingOne
02-25-2007, 12:03 AM
i wish he'd play crushing day live, seriously a diamond in the rough

wasp2020
02-25-2007, 03:52 AM
^

he actually mentions that during the Strange Beautiful Music podcast (where he would include it in a few setlists). And on a separate interview somewhere or something. Basically, it's too 'clunky' (also with The Forgotten Pt2) with the rhythm,... and/or it's too 80s!

Eggmond
02-25-2007, 10:50 AM
he cant pull the solo off live either.he said it himself

wasp2020
02-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Yes, because he feels uncomfotable with it. as the solo was completely composed and he feels compelled to play it exactly how it's like on record (I know what he means) instead of doing what he usually does for solos, as virtually almost every other solo is improvised and not written.

beadhangingOne
02-25-2007, 03:42 PM
:( its still a sick song, oh well

i dont blame him, the sweeping licks in it are ****ing insane

Baroque_and_Rol
02-25-2007, 10:29 PM
has anyone elses copy of his new live cd got the tracklisting all messed up?
yeah, I got the cd and the dvd and the track listing' different on both, which really sucks. good thing i listen to it on an ipod so i can set them right

ollie09
02-27-2007, 01:38 PM
i saw a preview yesterday on t.v. for the new fantastic 4. and i heard the title, rise of the silver surfer. now if u remember he's the dude that was on surfing with the alien cd. i wonder if satch we'll be in the movie?

nextjoesatriani
02-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Im so f u c k i n g proud of myself as i just finished perfecting flying in a blue dream and the mystical potato head groove thing. ive been struggling with these songs for about 8 months now and ive finally PERFECTED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ollie09
02-28-2007, 12:54 AM
great job! flying in the blue dream is really hard, are you doing it with the extended solo from G3 ending or just normal.
yea, mystical potato head is an awesomely fun song to play. the hand capo arpeggios that sound like a robot is extra impressive to do in front of people when showing off.

hamacker
02-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Im so f u c k i n g proud of myself as i just finished perfecting flying in a blue dream and the mystical potato head groove thing. ive been struggling with these songs for about 8 months now and ive finally PERFECTED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could you post a recording of it?

si!
02-28-2007, 11:52 PM
you my friend, are a beast. that's righteous. i myself have been getting into playing some satriani, but can never seem to find the perfect tone, does anyone know a site where i could get the settings for some of his stuff?

ollie09
03-01-2007, 12:17 AM
i would suggest u do that kind of thing by ear. i would also suggest you watch him play live. cuz i notice that he picks in differnt spots so that might make it a little more difficult to pick up.

Baroque_and_Rol
03-02-2007, 09:49 PM
i saw a preview yesterday on t.v. for the new fantastic 4. and i heard the title, rise of the silver surfer. now if u remember he's the dude that was on surfing with the alien cd. i wonder if satch we'll be in the movie?
I was thinking the same thing when i saw that.
surfing with the alien has to be played at some point during that movie, even if its during the credits. Satch deserves the exposure.
p.s. Can someone tell me whats so good about Flying in a Blue dream. Its got like 3 awesome songs and the rest is terrible, or at least not my thing

wasp2020
03-03-2007, 03:10 AM
I was thinking the same thing when i saw that.
surfing with the alien has to be played at some point during that movie, even if its during the credits. Satch deserves the exposure.
p.s. Can someone tell me whats so good about Flying in a Blue dream. Its got like 3 awesome songs and the rest is terrible, or at least not my thing

Agreed (although who knows, the production quality might be too low for movie use), and agreed. Songs like Strange, Phone Call, I Believe, Bells of Lal etc...are just...blah. Flying, Mystical, Day at the Beach, One Big Rush, Back to Shalla-Bal, The Forgottens, and Into The Light are most of the only songs I like from that album. it's a very cheesy album.

bluespunkmetal
03-03-2007, 05:28 AM
My fav is still The Extremist for songs......

But on albums, I think listening to Strange Beautiful Music and Super Colossal was really fun !!

Baroque_and_Rol
03-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Engines of Creation is beyond amazing. anyone else think so?

xtopher_aaron
03-03-2007, 02:41 PM
I like how people are appreciating the Satch man..

hoorah for Satch Fans!!

Baroque_and_Rol
03-03-2007, 09:02 PM
I like how people are appreciating the Satch man..

hoorah for Satch Fans!!

how can you not apreciate him?

bluespunkmetal
03-04-2007, 01:54 AM
Yeah.... even my emo loving friend loves his music..... and his bald headedness !!

Scorzerci
03-04-2007, 11:50 AM
how can you not apreciate him?
Meh, I'm not a very big fan of him. After I saw him in concert I just sort of got bored of him. Eric Johnson (who was opening for Satch when I saw him) was a lot more interesting in concert.

tubab0y
03-04-2007, 01:40 PM
see, i felt just the opposite way. though G3 is gonna be better than straight satch, he got boring after an hour and a half.

xtopher_aaron
03-04-2007, 08:35 PM
oh well.. some people like it and some dont i guess.. its one of those things were you either hate or love i guess.

but satch is way lovable to me man..

si!
03-05-2007, 11:59 PM
oh well.. some people like it and some dont i guess.. its one of those things were you either hate or love i guess.

but satch is way lovable to me man..
:golfclap: :cheers:

icronic
03-06-2007, 01:51 AM
see, i felt just the opposite way. though G3 is gonna be better than straight satch, he got boring after an hour and a half.

You know, I find with any music, unless you absolutely love who you're seeing anything more than an hour and a half concert is going to wear you out.

I've seen Satch twice, the first time he played two hour and a half sets, and damn was it good. There was a point that it all started sounding the same, but the funny thing is 5 minutes later I realized that I really didn't care, I just wanted him to keep playing.

The second time was with Eric Johnson on the Super Colossal tour. Damn. The live DVD/cd thing was great, but his performance in Vancouver was nothing short of amazing, must have been the cameras.

I've got to say I love Super Colossal, it's like the least technically impressive yet most melodic cd he's got. As a matter of fact just for fun I've been copying over the tab book to guitar pro and I figure I'll try to learn just about all the songs there. Gotta find someone to do some drums and bass for me though.

I'm hoping he makes his way through town again soon though, it's the only "good" music I've manage to get my girlfriend to listen to so far (unless Nelly Fellatio... err Fertado, counts as good?)

edit: there, her name is now spelt correctly, not that it deserves to be. Does that make you happy? :D

Scorzerci
03-06-2007, 01:11 PM
*Furtado;)

Baroque_and_Rol
03-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Agreed (although who knows, the production quality might be too low for movie use), and agreed. Songs like Strange, Phone Call, I Believe, Bells of Lal etc...are just...blah. Flying, Mystical, Day at the Beach, One Big Rush, Back to Shalla-Bal, The Forgottens, and Into The Light are most of the only songs I like from that album. it's a very cheesy album.
It would be cool if he redid the song for the soundtrack, like with better, more modern recording technology so it looses a bit of the 80's sound...

calebrocker
03-07-2007, 05:47 PM
It would be cool if he redid the song for the soundtrack, like with better, more modern recording technology so it looses a bit of the 80's sound...

agrreed. i have FIABD, and it sounds really 80's, and i only listen to a select few songs. i ususally listen to super colossal or is there love in space. i don't really think satch is all that great of a singer either.

wasp2020
03-07-2007, 07:00 PM
^ He was talking about the Surfing With The Alien song, so it can be used in modern cinema

But I agree with you on FIABD

And eyah, Satch thinks he's a terrible singer too!

icronic
03-08-2007, 03:28 PM
For anyone who's seen the DVD, there are some points on it where he grabs the trem with his left hand and gets these super high harmonics. What the hell is he doing here?

I can't tell but it doesn't look like he's fretting a note on the pickup. His right hand is usually away from his guitar, and it doesn't look like he's doing anything with his left hand aside from using the trem. So what the hell is he actually doing?

johnny_tapia
03-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I can't tell but it doesn't look like he's fretting a note on the pickup. His right hand is usually away from his guitar, and it doesn't look like he's doing anything with his left hand aside from using the trem. So what the hell is he actually doing?
He's just hitting pinch harmonics with his right hand, then raising the tremolo bar with his left hand. Takes a little practise to get perfect, but it's relatively straight forward really ;)

C.C. Deville
03-08-2007, 07:50 PM
i bought his newest live cd about a week ago...while still quite good i expected better of him

Baroque_and_Rol
03-08-2007, 10:40 PM
^ He was talking about the Surfing With The Alien song, so it can be used in modern cinema

But I agree with you on FIABD

And eyah, Satch thinks he's a terrible singer too!
i was talking about Surfing with the alien. It would be so awesome if he redid it....

nonickname
03-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Hey you guys. I'm learning Satch Boogie but I need to ask you guys a question. Satch does this really cool thing on the highest fret were he plays a natural harmonic and starts messing with the whammy. I know what he does, but I just dont know how to do it lol. Can someone guide me through it.

wasp2020
03-10-2007, 04:13 PM
^ it's actually an artificial/pinch harmonic on an open string.

i'll see if i can find a video or something...

si!
03-13-2007, 10:23 PM
agrreed. i have FIABD, and it sounds really 80's, and i only listen to a select few songs. i ususally listen to super colossal or is there love in space. i don't really think satch is all that great of a singer either.
yea, his voice sucks, but i love big bad moon so much, it's got that nice blues riff to it, love it man.

wasp2020
03-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Look My Way also brings considerable enjoyment.

bassmanjoe08
03-15-2007, 04:13 PM
^^+1

The second solo is mind bottling.

Baroque_and_Rol
03-15-2007, 04:43 PM
yea, his voice sucks, but i love big bad moon so much, it's got that nice blues riff to it, love it man.
but it just drips with cheese

lobster624
03-15-2007, 09:10 PM
^^+1

The second solo is mind bottling.

ahem...you mean boggling, but yes it is pretty darn good.

"putnamehere"
03-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Best Satriani album to check out?

lobster624
03-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Surfing With the Alien

wasp2020
03-18-2007, 01:28 AM
The Extremist
Surfing With The Alien
Crystal Planet

"putnamehere"
03-18-2007, 02:54 AM
I decided to download The Electric Joe Satriani: An Anthology... :haha

wasp2020
03-18-2007, 03:14 AM
^ :D That's still a good choice.

lobster624
03-18-2007, 03:51 PM
is it true Satch has never played Crushing Day live? if so, why not? it's one of my favorite songs by him.

wasp2020
03-18-2007, 07:48 PM
is it true Satch has never played Crushing Day live? if so, why not? it's one of my favorite songs by him.

It was discussed a couple of posts back, basically his 3 reasons are:

1) The rhythm section, with him, performed live, is too 'clunky' and simply does not transfer well in a band situation (same for The Forgotten Pt2).

2) The solo is one of the only ones that he ever actually composed, and he feels uncomfortable playing it exactly the same, and also uncomfortable playing it differently then how he wrote it.

3) It's too '80s'! (a bit of a joke)

lobster624
03-20-2007, 03:26 PM
It was discussed a couple of posts back, basically his 3 reasons are:

1) The rhythm section, with him, performed live, is too 'clunky' and simply does not transfer well in a band situation (same for The Forgotten Pt2).

2) The solo is one of the only ones that he ever actually composed, and he feels uncomfortable playing it exactly the same, and also uncomfortable playing it differently then how he wrote it.

3) It's too '80s'! (a bit of a joke)

damn. that sucks. i would love to see him play it live. looks like i never will be able to... :(

at least i will get to see crowd chant. that should be fun :)

wasp2020
03-20-2007, 05:40 PM
damn. that sucks. i would love to see him play it live. looks like i never will be able to... :(

SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taSnsA6TwKY

This is madness!

He actually said he might break it out once in a while, in the SBM tour rehearsal video on the official site.

(The ending chorus repeats cuts out to Devil's Slide)

lobster624
03-20-2007, 09:29 PM
SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taSnsA6TwKY

This is madness!

He actually said he might break it out once in a while, in the SBM tour rehearsal video on the official site.

(The ending chorus repeats cuts out to Devil's Slide)

what made him change his mind? this is awesome! any chance of me seeing it at G3?

wasp2020
03-20-2007, 09:35 PM
I don't know, it may be from a couple of years ago. He said he would try it a few times for the SBM tour.

I don't think you have a chance, he seems to keep pretty straightforward in his setlsit for hsi Super Colossal tour, and msot G3 setlsits I know of.

tubab0y
03-23-2007, 10:05 AM
yeah, G3 is him trying to market himself to people that came for the other guys. then again, it means you get to hear all his hits in one set- the one i saw in '03 was crystal planet, the extremist, MPHGT, midnight, and always. good set.

"Tele" Steve
03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
I think I might be starting to like Joe's music. I still much prefer Buckethead, Eric Johnson and probably Paul Gilbert and I still can't stand Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai.

lobster624
03-29-2007, 03:17 PM
one of my friends said he saw an interview with satch where he said he's planing on doing a blues G3 with John Mayer. Anyone else hear of this?

"Tele" Steve
03-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Blues G3? That might be really cool. I wonder who the third guy would be? I think my first choice would be Robert Cray...because I've already seen Buddy Guy live twice.

"putnamehere"
04-10-2007, 09:06 PM
What was the setlist for Satriani in G3? I hope that he plays Crowd Chant on Saturday. :haha

Axegrinder#9
04-10-2007, 09:13 PM
after having heard the new Satriani Live DVD filmed at Anaheim, CA, I'm convinced that this will be one of the most coveted Satch live shows ever.

moreover, in time, Super Colossal will be right up there along with Surfing With the Alien, Crystal Planet, Flying in a Blue Dream and one of my personal favorites, Engines of Creation

wasp2020
04-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Setlist as I remember it (nor in order) IIRC:

War (yes, that's War you're reading!)
One Big Rush
Super Colossal
Cool #9
Circles
Flying in a Blue Dream
Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing
Surfing With the Alien
Always With me Always With You

lobster624
04-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Setlist as I remember it (nor in order) IIRC:

War (yes, that's War you're reading!)
One Big Rush
Super Colossal
Cool #9
Circles
Flying in a Blue Dream
Surfing With the Alien

That's an amazing setlist. War is so awesome. Only 3 more days!!! I can't wait.

I really wish he would play Searching and Crowd Chant though...Oh well, can't win 'em all.

"putnamehere"
04-12-2007, 08:46 AM
^ Crowd Chant FTW. See you there bitch!

Scorzerci
04-12-2007, 10:28 AM
I haven't been following this thread, so I don't really know what's going on, but if it is the G3 setlist that you're talking about, Joe plays Crowd chant in the Jam.

<Craig>
04-19-2007, 06:33 PM
I wish Satch would bring Mr. Petrucci and Pablo Gilberto up Scotland's way.

I'd love to see G3.

Saw Satriani's actual tour tho.

It was brilliant.

Come on Satch, Come to Glasgow!

Kennocha
04-28-2007, 01:14 AM
how did joe learn? and has anyone got any info on how he taught we he did lessons?
like what sort of things he felt important?
thanks guys
he is such a machine :D love his music!!!

bassmanjoe08
05-01-2007, 11:51 AM
ahem...you mean boggling, but yes it is pretty darn good.

Blades of Glory quote fool!!

lobster624
05-01-2007, 04:46 PM
was the movie even out when i said that...? i havent seen it either... whos the fool now?!?!

"putnamehere"
05-01-2007, 05:33 PM
^ I dont know if you still remember, but what was Satch's setlist during G3? I know he added some songs.

lobster624
05-01-2007, 05:41 PM
i'm pretty sure he only added ice 9. i remember he played war, cool #9, surfing with the alien, satch boogie, circles, always with me always with you, errr... i will edit my post when i remember the others.

wasp2020
05-01-2007, 06:02 PM
This was the setlist before:

War
One Big Rush
Super Colossal
Cool #9
Circles
Flying in a Blue Dream
Surfing With the Alien

Looks like he added Ice 9 somewhere.

satch321
05-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Take a look at these websites, and the photos and tell me they look the same.

http://www.supermusic.sk/obrazky/9154_Surfing%20With%20The%20Alien.jpg
^
Joe Satriani Surfing with the alien

http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=Pictures+Of+The+Silver+Surfer&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-img-t340&x=wrt
^
Fantastic Four- Rise Of The Silver Surfer

Look At the top right photo and it is exactly the same.

PooKoo
05-28-2007, 08:41 PM
that's because the album cover was the silver surfer?
doh

edit, oh nvm, my results were wierd.
Yeahhh, that's strange.

TheUltimateSin
05-28-2007, 08:55 PM
It's not exactly the same.

But it's damn close. Cool though.

lobster624
05-28-2007, 09:23 PM
http://re3.mm-a3.yimg.com/image/2503940236

http://www.supermusic.sk/obrazky/9154_Surfing%20With%20The%20Alien.jpg

look at this one...

EDIT: lol, the pic changed somehow...

TheUltimateSin
05-28-2007, 10:34 PM
There are subtle differences <_<

Shreddin 4 Life
05-28-2007, 10:43 PM
There are subtle differences <_<

QFT
very similar but not exactly the same of course...

on a side note I was listening to a bunch of tunes from Strange Beautiful Music today...god I love that album

lobster624
05-29-2007, 03:45 PM
QFT
very similar but not exactly the same of course...

on a side note I was listening to a bunch of tunes from Strange Beautiful Music today...god I love that album

subtle differences indeed... it still looks like that's where it got it's inspiration from.

and yes SBM is indeed a very good album.

Kelthas
05-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Satriani here, Satriani there, Satriani everywhere and I got sick of it. So yesh sir, I've downloaden - so sue me - some songs today and listened to them. Not bad I must say but to me he is overrated from what I've heard. Maybe towards the future - when I get to hear more - I'll take my words back but for the time being. I don't know... He's good, no doubt about that, but so incredibly good? I don't know.

Resiliance
05-29-2007, 05:14 PM
I love how you guys are all standing there open-jawed upon the discovery of the similarities between the Silver Surfer and the SWTA album cover :p:

The words "duh, obvious" come to mind.

public property
05-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Any true shred geek knows satch used to watch that movie obsessively in his teenage years.

Shreddin 4 Life
05-29-2007, 10:34 PM
movie?

wasp2020
05-30-2007, 01:12 AM
Actually he didn't, from what I know he only got into it after someone reccomended the Surfing cover for the album (and proceded to make such songs as Back to Shalla-Bal, Power Cosmic, etc...)

Shreddin 4 Life
05-30-2007, 01:05 PM
I had read somewhere that he was never into comics or anything like that
but yeah I had always wondered if those songs had anything to do w/ Silver Surfer...

Baroque_and_Rol
05-31-2007, 11:46 AM
The words "duh, obvious" come to mind.
right off the bat

Axegrinder#9
06-01-2007, 09:21 AM
of course you realize that it is entirely plausible that "Weird Joe" smoked a lot of pot and dropped some acid every now and then.

Axegrinder#9
06-01-2007, 09:22 AM
^ would certainly explain every aspect of his music.

wasp2020
06-01-2007, 09:36 AM
of course you realize that it is entirely plausible that "Weird Joe" smoked a lot of pot and dropped some acid every now and then.

He is quoted as saying he and Vai used to drop acid in the Sea of Emotion (some place near some fields) when they were teenagers.

Shreddin 4 Life
06-01-2007, 01:32 PM
:haha

wow, good ol' Satch & Vai

Axegrinder#9
06-01-2007, 03:28 PM
He is quoted as saying he and Vai used to drop acid in the Sea of Emotion (some place near some fields) when they were teenagers.

if you can find that quotation and link me up to it, I will declare you to be the best man on UG.

Shreddin 4 Life
06-01-2007, 11:08 PM

yes that'd definitely be something worth reading :p:

bluesrocker101
06-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Alright, so I just bought Satriani Live! and on the bonus disk, theres the podcast (in bonus features). On the podcast menu, where you can select which podcast you want to watch, theres an awesome song being played. I'm still trying to figure out which song it is and which album it's from. Can anyone help? The song is funky, new age like.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

lobster624
06-26-2007, 12:21 AM
so, what song was it?

CanCan
06-26-2007, 06:03 AM
I'm seeing the bald one this Thursday. Can't wait.

bluesrocker101
06-26-2007, 05:21 PM
so, what song was it?

One robots dream. I don't own Super Colossal, so thats why.

hothead69999
06-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Ok, I went to Joe's website and look what came up!

http://www.satriani.com/2004/

Has anyone else seen this and what could it be for?

wasp2020
06-26-2007, 11:23 PM
They explain it in the news part:

"The countdown begins!
Just under 16 days until some very special announcements....! Check http://www.satriani.com/ for the teaser splash page which will morph to reveal more over the course of the 2 weeks."

it's for the release of the (re)remastering of Surfing With The Alien for it's 20th year anniversary, out early August (even though that's only 12 days from now...).

RERELEASE:
>>> http://www.satriani.com/2004/discography/Surfing_With_The_Alien/
"On August 7th, 2007, Epic/Legacy Recordings will celebrate the 20th anniversary of this groundbreaking album with the release of a new expanded edition of Surfing with the Alien. This meticulously restored two-disc set includes the newly remastered album and a previously never-before-seen live show filmed at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1988. It will also feature new liner notes written by Joe and special deluxe packaging featuring photos, notes and other memorabilia from Joe's personal archive. More details as the date approaches!"

C.C. Deville
06-26-2007, 11:29 PM
sounds kool cant wait for it to come out

RCalisto
06-28-2007, 10:01 AM
They explain it in the news part:

"The countdown begins!
Just under 16 days until some very special announcements....! Check http://www.satriani.com/ for the teaser splash page which will morph to reveal more over the course of the 2 weeks."

it's for the release of the (re)remastering of Surfing With The Alien for it's 20th year anniversary, out early August (even though that's only 12 days from now...).

RERELEASE:
>>> http://www.satriani.com/2004/discography/Surfing_With_The_Alien/
"On August 7th, 2007, Epic/Legacy Recordings will celebrate the 20th anniversary of this groundbreaking album with the release of a new expanded edition of Surfing with the Alien. This meticulously restored two-disc set includes the newly remastered album and a previously never-before-seen live show filmed at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1988. It will also feature new liner notes written by Joe and special deluxe packaging featuring photos, notes and other memorabilia from Joe's personal archive. More details as the date approaches!"

it has nothing to do with the re-release of surfing.. that has been announced a month ago or so..

Aftertime
06-28-2007, 10:17 AM
hey nice thread~only found it just then :D

hey does anyone have any idea how to kinda get "the extremist" sound in G3 Denver. just love that tone, wanna try it

thanks

Shreddin 4 Life
06-28-2007, 12:14 PM
hey nice thread~only found it just then :D

hey does anyone have any idea how to kinda get "the extremist" sound in G3 Denver. just love that tone, wanna try it

thanks

I think u need a lot of mids, and moderate bass/treble...but I could be wrong

wasp2020
06-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Oh right, I just noticed that.

Maybe a new pedal line? It's just 15 days...

tubab0y
06-28-2007, 07:07 PM
who knows? G3 related? new CD?

and i tried cheating and setting my computer clock forwards, like with the RATM thing. no luck.

bluesrocker101
06-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Oh right, I just noticed that.

Maybe a new pedal line? It's just 15 days...

Ooh That would be cool.

That'd be awesome if a surprise CD came out which is highly unlikely. We should have bets here to see what it is. ;)

Hidde
06-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Maybe Joe's gonna try and grow hair again.

Shreddin 4 Life
06-28-2007, 10:19 PM
who knows? G3 related? new CD?

and i tried cheating and setting my computer clock forwards, like with the RATM thing. no luck.

well of course not - that clock isn't running off of urs :p:

Maybe Joe's gonna try and grow hair again.

that'd be hilarious! :cool:

tubab0y
06-29-2007, 09:14 AM
the RATM clock was- you could change your computer time and the new screen would come up!

and actually, a new pedal line from him sounds vaguely familiar- maybe i'm thinking of someone else.

new amp? new sig guitar (gasp!)?

Shreddin 4 Life
06-30-2007, 12:12 AM
the RATM clock was- you could change your computer time and the new screen would come up!

tubab0y
06-30-2007, 12:50 PM
someone on talk2joe had a good idea- JS20th?

Shreddin 4 Life
06-30-2007, 09:57 PM
someone on talk2joe had a good idea- JS20th?

makes sense! :p:

tubab0y
07-01-2007, 09:14 AM
it would be awesome, but i would much rather prefer something i could afford to look at.

'Floods!'
07-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Who do you prefer, Joe Satriani or Steve Vai?

CanCan
07-01-2007, 10:03 AM
I feel kinda bad for coming in the Satriani thread and saying this, but I prefer Vai. He wins this very close match by his interesting experimental work. He seems more versatile, while Satch is all about sweet melodies and stunning solos, nothing more, nothing else.

wasp2020
07-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I think Satriani is able to convey feelings into songs better then Vai.

Well no actually, I know Vai can create amazing compositions (jesus, Sound Theories) but he just loses me more often then not. But even with simpler songs, I don't find it all that compelling, Boston Rain Melody, Feathers, even FTLOG, and what have you - they work, but they don't get to me as much as Satriani tends to.

With Satriani you have these songs that just plain nail that feeling...Clouds Race Across the Sky, Summer Song, Until We Say Goodbye, Saying Goodbye, Time, Day at the Beach, If I Could Fly, Flying in a Blue Dream, Into the Light, Driving at Night, New Day, Starry Night - they're catchy melodic pop tunes, yes, but they're fantastic pop tunes.

Hidde
07-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Up until I saw him at G3 I never thought of him as especially technical. He does some pretty tough licks at times but I never though him anywhere near the level of say Petrucci. At G3 though he was incredible. He did some unbelievable one handed legato arpeggios (Like in Mystical Potato Head Groove but far more extreme).

tubab0y
07-01-2007, 04:41 PM
he's a whole lot more technical than most people think- for example, on the satriani LIVE! DVD/CD on ice 9 after the solos, during the chorus, he does this crazy harmonic tapping thing. i've tried, it's tough.

satriani, by the way.

EDIT: 2:16 into this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4vqJCOO5im4

bluesrocker101
07-01-2007, 08:55 PM
With Satriani you have these songs that just plain nail that feeling...Clouds Race Across the Sky, Summer Song, Until We Say Goodbye, Saying Goodbye, Time, Day at the Beach, If I Could Fly, Flying in a Blue Dream, Into the Light, Driving at Night, New Day, Starry Night - they're catchy melodic pop tunes, yes, but they're fantastic pop tunes.

You're forgetting "Just Look Up" which is truly an awesome song.

Shreddin 4 Life
07-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Who do you prefer, Joe Satriani or Steve Vai?

Satch by a longshot! :p:

I just love how he can tell a story with just music. Vai's a great player but a lot of his compositions either loose me or don't interest me at all...not to mention his over-usage of the whammy bar :(

lobster624
07-02-2007, 01:18 AM
you don't think satch over-uses the whammy bar? when i saw him at G3 he threw in a few extra "satch screams" every song, which i personally love. i think that would count as over-usage. although, normally i prefer his whammy tricks and music over vai.

Shreddin 4 Life
07-02-2007, 02:31 AM
I think Satch is modest with it actually, he doesn't use it in every single song ya know

(except for live performances I guess lol)

tubab0y
07-02-2007, 02:37 AM
he does it live because the crowd likes it.

wasp2020
07-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Vai uses the whammy bar ALL-THE-TIME. He would play a whole song making his guitar sound like a fretless if he wanted to (which he does, so hey).

satch suses it much more conservatively. some screams, maybe some bouncing, and that's about it

johnny_tapia
07-02-2007, 07:18 AM
I love the face he makes when he's doing a "Satch Scream" live :p:

Shreddin 4 Life
07-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Vai uses the whammy bar ALL-THE-TIME. He would play a whole song making his guitar sound like a fretless if he wanted to (which he does, so hey).

satch suses it much more conservatively. some screams, maybe some bouncing, and that's about it

yes, exactly! :p:

I love the face he makes when he's doing a "Satch Scream" live :p:

whatta ya mean? He makes dozens of faces when doing that!

as for myself, I'd have to say nothing is more entertaining than when he bobs his head during a solo and looks just like a turtle :D

tubab0y
07-02-2007, 03:06 PM
9 days!

and i like the backwards shuffle a lot.

E V H 5150
07-02-2007, 04:13 PM
I've heard a lot about Joe Satriani, and I wanted to start listening to him, and try out his music a little bit. I just heard the song, "Always with me, always with you", and I thought it was great.

Any recomendations on good songs by Satriani? Like, what songs are considered his "best" by many of his biggest fans?

I'm trying to expand my style, and I've heard a lot of people say that he's one of the best guitarists of this generation. And I didn't feel like making a new thread about this, I figure it's best to go straight to his fanbase, right?

Thanks in advance.

tubab0y
07-02-2007, 04:21 PM
thanks for not making a new thread.

and if you wanna get a basic feel for what he's like, i'd either suggest his anthology CD (it's getting a bit old now) or one of his live CDs- satriani LIVE! has a lot of his good songs on it. don't ever try to learn the songs off a live CD though, it doesn't work.

wasp2020
07-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Songs are way too hard to list. Really, they're all fantastic in one way or another.

I would strongly reccomend the Anthology album, the Extremist album, and then the Surfing With The Alien album.

(The Antholgoy doesn't cover Is There Love In Space or Super Colossal albums though)

tubab0y
07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
i personally thought that is there love in space was pretty good too.

E V H 5150
07-02-2007, 04:54 PM
I'll check some of those out, thanks. I think I might like his music, from what I've heard already.

Shreddin 4 Life
07-03-2007, 02:09 AM
hmm...might I suggest his album Strange Beautiful Music? ;)

it happens to be my fav by him

Baroque_and_Rol
07-03-2007, 09:54 AM
hmm...might I suggest his album Strange Beautiful Music? ;)

it happens to be my fav by him
+5

bassmanjoe08
07-03-2007, 06:17 PM
I suggest Satriani Live! it being my favourite Satch performance. That lineup is Jesus for me, and Satch molds with it quite well. Plus its got the best version of Cool #9 Ive ever heard.

tubab0y
07-03-2007, 08:26 PM
the live in san fran version of cool #9 is better, IMO.

Hidde
07-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Can someone talk me through a Satch Scream?

tubab0y
07-03-2007, 09:27 PM
1. shave your head.
2. Pull pinch harmonic on G string.
3. Pull bar up and down accordingly.

For more ideas, view this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9CWC9mOUdMA

Thank you, and come again. :)

calebrocker
07-04-2007, 12:16 AM
I know satch is shred, but why do some people not consider him to be shred? I really like the groove he has on his songs, like "searching" and "cool #9" and Surfing with the Alien. he's a phenominal player and musician, so why isn't he really considered to be shred?

bluesrocker101
07-04-2007, 12:19 AM
I know satch is shred, but why do some people not consider him to be shred? I really like the groove he has on his songs, like "searching" and "cool #9" and Surfing with the Alien. he's a phenominal player and musician, so why isn't he really considered to be shred?

Satch knows how to pull back and create a simple melody. I guess he's alot more bluesier too.

wasp2020
07-04-2007, 12:44 AM
When people think "Shred", the automatically think "Neoclassical Metal", Batio, Malmsteen, etc.

Resiliance
07-04-2007, 04:08 AM

Because people are morons.

tubab0y
07-04-2007, 09:21 AM
And he's jazzier, too. He considers himself 'experimental rock.' It's still shred, though.

And only 7 and a half days!

Oh, and for kicks: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620226

Shreddin 4 Life
07-04-2007, 05:52 PM
gotta love the Chrome guitar and the Flames one too :p:

bassmanjoe08
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I consider Satch as Shred/Instrumental Rock. Dont be a Genre Nazi.

Shreddin 4 Life
07-05-2007, 11:11 PM

love that term

but then again, even that title is too constraining imo - Satch covers so many genres in his music

calebrocker
07-05-2007, 11:37 PM
anyone read the new issue of guitarplayer? it's pretty good. it's about how he got started, surfing with the alien, effects, practice, teaching, ect. I learned lots of cool stuff from the interview. Satch is really cool about his playing. He's not about the whole theory of it as much as the other guys are, but the sound, feeling, and groove that comes out of it.

by the way, does anyone know if and when the new G3 DVD releases? The 2005 one is getting old :p:

tubab0y
07-06-2007, 04:22 AM
He sings. Bam! There goes that Genre.

wasp2020
07-06-2007, 05:14 AM
anyone read the new issue of guitarplayer? it's pretty good. it's about how he got started, surfing with the alien, effects, practice, teaching, ect. I learned lots of cool stuff from the interview. Satch is really cool about his playing. He's not about the whole theory of it as much as the other guys are, but the sound, feeling, and groove that comes out of it.

by the way, does anyone know if and when the new G3 DVD releases? The 2005 one is getting old :p:

I've heard that they weren't going to develop that. Which sucks because from what I've heard it was the most energetic one yet.

tubab0y
07-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I've heard no DVD, but definitely a CD.

Shreddin 4 Life
07-06-2007, 03:49 PM
He sings. Bam! There goes that Genre.

good point! I almost forgot about those vocal tracks

I Believe is prolly my fav out of them all :p:

tubab0y
07-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Big Bad Wolf is mine, no doubt.

bassmanjoe08
07-06-2007, 04:03 PM
So anymore guesses as to what'll happen at the end of the countdown?
Someone on another forum suggested that Joe's contract with Sony runs out this year and he might move to Favored Nations where he would be allowed to release extra material his previous label wouldnt allow.

tubab0y
07-06-2007, 04:15 PM
I highly doubt Sony would let him do a countdown for that.

wasp2020
07-06-2007, 04:31 PM
I understand the term "Instrumental", but as a genre title it doesn't mean anything to me. Instrumental just says how the music is performed, not what genre it is.

And Look my Way is mine :)

tubab0y
07-06-2007, 04:54 PM
I just listened to look my way for the first time, cool song. Lifestyle's pretty good too.

calebrocker
07-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Searching is amazing.

wasp2020
07-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Indeed it is.

It was all a 1 take jam. All improvised by them (well obviously just the solos and stuff) Well they did 3 takes, but they chose the first one. 10 minutes, they were afraid Sony wouldn've dissalowed it from the disc XD but it was received well, and rightly so

tubab0y
07-07-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how he does half the stuff in the studio version. He's still trying to figure out how he does half the stuff in the studio version. Have you seen it live? They're totally different.

calebrocker
07-07-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how he does half the stuff in the studio version. He's still trying to figure out how he does half the stuff in the studio version. Have you seen it live? They're totally different.

yep, I have the G3 2k5 dvd. Is There Love In Space is one of my favorite Satch albums.

bassmanjoe08
07-07-2007, 10:04 PM
I think he said somewhere that Searching and Circles were songs they just did a jam of live, but he sticks to the basic structures of them. I like how in G3 Tokyo he plays a bit of Hendrix's Machine Gun, too.

Shreddin 4 Life
07-07-2007, 10:07 PM
I think he said somewhere that Searching and Circles were songs they just did a jam of live, but he sticks to the basic structures of them. I like how in G3 Tokyo he plays a bit of Hendrix's Machine Gun, too.

U know now that u mention it, I'm not surprised that those were originally jam songs :p:

tubab0y
07-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Is there love in space? is one of the best ones ever. I love how emotional it is.

wasp2020
07-12-2007, 05:40 AM
Big news! The countdown is over...

http://www.satriani.com/2004/
http://www.satriani.com/2004/fullsplash.jpg

Further information from the webmaster:
Reload the home page to see the news! These shows are just for you hardcore fans over the years and we've kept the prices low, even going as far as making special arrangements for the "convenience" fees that are added on!

And yes, there are plans to get some of the music out in a variety of ways to all of the folks who won't be able to get tickets and/or attend the shows :} All will be made clear, along with the contests and such, as the days pass!

And also a video was found elsewhere, with Joe Satriani and John Cuniberti (producer) talking about the 20th Anniversary Box Set:
http://www.914pictures.com/clients/satch_approval.mov

JeffWiredBeck24
07-12-2007, 06:30 AM
That's the first I've heard of those shows! I have to catch him at the Roxy.

Shreddin 4 Life
07-12-2007, 11:15 AM
awesome!

tubab0y
07-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I really hope that they announce more dates, they're all pretty far from here.

Hot Pants
07-13-2007, 01:59 AM
Yeah I noticed that. I really like the ambience of the song 'Searching', and the use of octave shifter/whammy.

bassmanjoe08
07-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Damnit, Im gonna miss him play Crushing Day live. :(

tubab0y
07-13-2007, 02:55 PM
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if a DVD popped out.

JeffWiredBeck24
07-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Does anybody know the the Roxy show in Los Angeles is 18 and over?

tubab0y
07-13-2007, 07:10 PM
The Roxy looks like most of its shows are AA- and I highly doubt Joe would do an 18+ unless he absolutely had to.

JeffWiredBeck24
07-13-2007, 08:29 PM
The Roxy looks like most of its shows are AA- and I highly doubt Joe would do an 18+ unless he absolutely had to.

Yeah, I've been to the Roxy tons of times I was just wondering about this particular show. Hope it's not.

tubab0y
07-13-2007, 08:56 PM
I really don't see Joe doing an 18+ show- it's not his style.

Shreddin 4 Life
07-13-2007, 09:56 PM
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if a DVD popped out.

that would be feckin' ace :liplick:

JeffWiredBeck24
07-14-2007, 11:54 PM
This guy does the best Satch covers I've ever seen.

Surfing With The Alien (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO9_JnUugi8)
The Extremist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM2bvR_URbM&mode=related&search=)
Summer Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpO9Myo-Os0&mode=related&search=)
Crushing Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP8Y8yiOoaM&mode=related&search=)
Not Of This Earth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOiCmTEpqb4&mode=related&search=)

tubab0y
07-15-2007, 08:35 AM
^It's the guitar- if I had a chromeboy I'd make sure I could play it.

Shreddin 4 Life
07-15-2007, 02:02 PM
I wonder what those bad boys cost...

JeffWiredBeck24
07-15-2007, 05:20 PM
I got two tickets to Satch at the Roxy!

The Roxy is such a tiny venue, I'll be inches from him.

tubab0y
07-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Sweet.

And chromeboys run for around $5300 new, about the same to a little more used since they were the 10th anniversary JS.

wasp2020
07-15-2007, 05:58 PM
:O lucky bastage!