First time on stage today..

PDA

View Full Version : First time on stage today..

The way to hate
01-16-2007, 06:11 PM
So. Today sucked. My band nails songs like nothing at practices, but today sucked.

Pianist - did fine, best in the band but his PA was maxed out and still couldn't be heard because the drummer didn't want to do a sound check.

Me - did fine, had a solo in every song, my gear was against me and tried to kill me, but i carried on

Bassist - 4 beats off in our best song, stopped playing when drummer ****ed up

Drummer - Dropped his stick trying to be fancy. Double bass was sloppy. Didn't sound check.

So anyway... my gear... We were doing Lonely Day, and literally in the middle of the guitar solo (which is quite quick) my distortion pedal died.. I continued anyway but I was furious. Last song, my A string unraveled itself when i wasnt even playing on it.. I finished the song on different strings when I needed it. My amp was way too loud at first because we didn't get a good sound check. People were easily amused and were freaking out when I was sound checking with Master of Puppets and stuff. The people I asked said we did well, but I am personally embarassed because of my bassist and drummer. Everyone else in my band has been on stage for years, I never have. They should've been able to keep up. No excuse for their cockiness making our first appearence a mediocre one.

Am I being too harsh?

Nightmare_xxx
01-16-2007, 06:14 PM
man that's some really bad luck, but it just goes to show how important sound checks are. please slap your drummer for me ;)

fireman464
01-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Hard to say I wasn't there. You really should sit down with them and discuss what went wrong. Try not to just hammer them with the negatives, but, also point out the good points of your performance. Even though you did okay, try not to come off as arrogant or holier than though. Say things like we need to better. We, will imply all, yourself included.

The way to hate
01-16-2007, 06:22 PM
But that is a lie. My gear ****ed up and I still did what I had to do. If they tried their best and sucked I would be nicer, but they were too busy chatting to do a sound check. I personally think they should be slapped.

fireman464
01-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I believe you and maybe you should bitch slap everyone of them. I'm just suggesting taking a diplomatic approach. I've gone through the same thing before and ended up losing a friendship as a resultr. Our singer kept forgetting words and accused the rest of the band of playing in the wrong key. We didn't F*ck up he did. We tried the diplomatic approach at first and after that we split up. By the way, a sound check is a must!!!

The way to hate
01-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Yah I suppose I could try and sugar coat it.. unless it happens again. Then I'm killing people.

spiritinthesky9
01-16-2007, 07:29 PM
dude how didn't you do a sound check? we were playing at a place and there was this one punk girl that was supposed to open for us and she didn't want to do a sound check, instead she told the sound guy she had to go eat. so she spent an hour at mcdonalds and we just got to to a better sound check and sounded great. too bad for her but she didn't sound good at all because the sound guy just left the levels the same as he ahd them set for us, and she was way too quite lol.

Blockythebass
01-16-2007, 07:59 PM
in our first show we didn't get a soundcheck, and during our first song one of our guitarist was getting terrible feedback, right when he was suppose to do the opening solo, but luckily me and the other guitarist just jammed a bit while he figured it out.

Dutch_Apples
01-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Were you the guy who asked for "First gig" advice the other week? The advice I always give is.. DO NOT STOP under any circumstances. You need to drill that into your band mates. I played 2 gigs last weekend. One night I broke about 5 drum sticks but never stopped playing because I taught myself how to play with one hand for short periods of time and always have another one to grab. Learn methods like this!

The way to hate
01-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Were you the guy who asked for "First gig" advice the other week? The advice I always give is.. DO NOT STOP under any circumstances. You need to drill that into your band mates. I played 2 gigs last weekend. One night I broke about 5 drum sticks but never stopped playing because I taught myself how to play with one hand for short periods of time and always have another one to grab. Learn methods like this!

No I wasn't. The reason I'm pissed off. It wasn't a big gig, it was actually a rehesal that people attended. Wasn't a large crowd, I'm still just disappointed.

All of them have been on stage numerous times, it wasn't their first time.

They know not to stop, the bassist was just being a tool.

dude how didn't you do a sound check? we were playing at a place and there was this one punk girl that was supposed to open for us and she didn't want to do a sound check, instead she told the sound guy she had to go eat. so she spent an hour at mcdonalds and we just got to to a better sound check and sounded great. too bad for her but she didn't sound good at all because the sound guy just left the levels the same as he ahd them set for us, and she was way too quite lol.

I tried to do a sound check in the 5 minutes we had, the drummer insisted I was at a decent volume and that we'd all "sound fine" but he refused to play anything. He was being a tool also.

GiantRaven
01-17-2007, 09:28 AM
No I wasn't. The reason I'm pissed off. It wasn't a big gig, it was actually a rehesal that people attended. Wasn't a large crowd, I'm still just disappointed.

All of them have been on stage numerous times, it wasn't their first time.

They know not to stop, the bassist was just being a tool.

I tried to do a sound check in the 5 minutes we had, the drummer insisted I was at a decent volume and that we'd all "sound fine" but he refused to play anything. He was being a tool also.

Saying someone is a 'tool' is a really stupid term, what does that even mean in the context you're using it? :wtf:

However, your drummer was being a retard for not doing a soundcheck. That's basically asking to sound naff

You did get a lot of bad luck as well, which sucks