Green to Shred, looking for a good Satch album...

PDA

View Full Version : Green to Shred, looking for a good Satch album...

Outside Octaves
01-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Yea, if you've read my other thread here, I'm preaty green to this whole concept of shred.

It wasn't but in the past 6 months mabey that I've been introduced to Steve Vai, Satch, Wingnut Valvestem (term of indearment.. love the dude!, sad it's not an origenal creation like I thought my term of endearment was :( ), and Petrucci. Just last night I was introduced to Jethro Tull's (who I had only heard the name of on here, and nothing else) Locomotive Breath.

Ever since I watched the live in tokyo dvd, I've wanted to hear more of these guys, especially the great Satch-Mo himself.

I'm quite in love with bluesy stuff currently, so what would be an awsome album to start off with when it comes to Satch?

I looked for a "recomendation thread" but didn't see one...

aeginotu
01-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Surfing with the Alien is my personal favorite. I have em' all, though I haven't listened to em' all. I have tonnes of music I downloaded(The 'discography' of Al DiMeola for example) that I haven't listened to yet.

Little Savage
01-17-2007, 12:44 AM
hmmmm....probably start with 'The Extremist'.

Nite27
01-17-2007, 12:49 AM
most people have their "Satch cherry" popped on 'Surfing with the Alien', though my personal favourite album of his is 'Crystal Planet'

Outside Octaves
01-17-2007, 01:37 AM
So what are they like, especially this one that every body has their satch cherry poped on? I mean, *sings* "what's it all about?" *end bad singing*

aeginotu
01-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Surfing with the Alien(Or the Deflorinator), is:
Surfing with the Alien: http://youtube.com/watch?v=d6H7lbputCo
Ice 9: /
Crushing Day: /
Always with me, Always with you: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dqg4XeSbSbw
Satch Boogie: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FzHV4A7gBNs
Hill of the Skull: /
Circles: /
Lords of Karma: /
Midnight: /
Echo: /
/ means I couldn't find it right away.

Little Savage
01-17-2007, 02:05 AM
Surfing With The Alien (SWTA) is a classic album and should be compulsory buying if you are a Satch fan or just getting into him.

I mentioned to get 'The Extremist' because it has more 'bluesy' playing on it, which you said you were into at the moment.

Prophet of Page
01-17-2007, 05:05 AM
My personnal favourite is Crystal Planet.

sock_demon
01-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Midnight is awesome, I picked up Super Colossal a few months back, and i swear it has only left my CD player for Dream Theater :headbang:

PooKoo
01-17-2007, 06:11 PM
I still don't own surfing with the alien. Hah! Super collosal is good but it gets old fast, extremist is good but I'm not the biggest fan, I like a lot of strange beautiful music, but in general satch is hit or miss for me.

Outside Octaves
01-17-2007, 06:33 PM
^Oh go Poo on someone else's parade!

Sorry, couldn't resist :p: .

Um... Ok... I should be out tomarrow buying stuff for the house, I'll check out surfing with the alien and the others mentioned :), plus other things...

Anything else esential to check out in the area of shread, considering I already have malmsteen's rising force: marching out, P&W, and all the dream theator I can handle, + Liquid Tension Experiment. (thanks to a friend from my last church :D )

Resiliance
01-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Yes, Brett Garsed's Big Sky is quite accessible.

Prophet of Page
01-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Get some Eric Johnson too.

Outside Octaves
01-17-2007, 11:13 PM
He's considered shred? Cool. I got his Venus Isle album! BEAUTIFUL stuff, but um... he have any album that is either mostly or completely solo (no vocals)?

The_Cory
01-18-2007, 04:11 AM
Time Machine is a good sampling of his older work

Prophet of Page
01-18-2007, 05:25 AM
He's considered shred? Cool. I got his Venus Isle album! BEAUTIFUL stuff, but um... he have any album that is either mostly or completely solo (no vocals)?

Well, yeah, he is.

Most of his stuff is pretty 50:50 between vocals and instrumental stuff. You could check out Ah Via Musicom, plenty of vocals on it, but some great instrumentals too.

PooKoo
01-18-2007, 07:46 AM
^Oh go Poo on someone else's parade!

Sorry, couldn't resist :p: .

Um... Ok... I should be out tomarrow buying stuff for the house, I'll check out surfing with the alien and the others mentioned :), plus other things...

Anything else esential to check out in the area of shread, considering I already have malmsteen's rising force: marching out, P&W, and all the dream theator I can handle, + Liquid Tension Experiment. (thanks to a friend from my last church :D )

Oh I love Satch, I saw him and EJ live and it was amazing, it just depends on my mood.

Outside Octaves
01-20-2007, 01:46 AM
lucky shiteface! If only I could get to see a G3 live myself :(. too bad it'll be years before another us tour that comes near SC.

PooKoo
01-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Haha wasn't really G3, johnson just opened for Satch. Amazing show though, one of the best I've seen.

Outside Octaves
01-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Ah. Eric opening for satch? Kinda wierd saying that... As both are on equal terms... they should have a 2fer show, not one opening for the other, lol.

Outside Octaves
01-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Yea, I got SWTA, and might I say... WOH! *Satch Cherry Officially Popped* One HUGE Guitargasm!

Prophet of Page
01-21-2007, 07:25 PM
I actually think SWTA is pretty dull compared to say Flying In A Blue Dream, or Crystal Planet.

Outside Octaves
01-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Well Tom, I would have to say it's all subjective here.... :).

It was down to between Supper Colosal, Satriani Live, Strange Beauty (if it's called that?), and SWTA. So I looked around for possibly some bucket head or petrucci, but Best Buy didn't have either! :eek: :no: :eek: , so I went back and got the 1 copy of 2 that they had of SWTA, as SWTA is said to be a "must have album if your into Satch or just getting into him". And well... now I am very officially a complete and utter FANBOI of Satch :P.

ar73m
01-22-2007, 04:48 AM
The best album of Satch you can get to 'get into him' is Electric Joe Satriani, and that's a compilation of some of his best songs, has some remastered versions of his classics such as Surfing with the Alien as well.

Satriani_is_God
01-22-2007, 07:12 AM
I suggest you get the new live album Satriai Live. It contains the good old classics and songs from his newest album Super Colossal. You will get into his great songs and his incredible improvisation. :cool:

Outside Octaves
01-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Well, now that I have SWTA, I'll be a few weeks before I can go out again and get another album. But yea, I'll be needing to decide in these coming weeks which album I'm getting next so I know weither to go to Best Buy, or get it online with overnight/2-day shipping (I can't stand waiting too long for an album!).

I'm thinking of getting the Satriani LIVE! album next, and mabey if I get it online get buckethead's Colma too. Does that sound like a good combo?

-Outside Octaves

*Saunters off to find a tab book of SURFING WITH THE ALIEN*

Baroque_and_Rol
01-25-2007, 09:57 PM
I'd say go with Strange beutiful music. I didn't really care for Surfing with the alien but I can see how other people would like it. Can someone please explain to me what is so good about Flying in a Blue Dream? The first two tracks are great but I can carely listen to any thing else on it. Super Colossal and Crystal Planet are awesome, definately good to check out

Satch_Boogie
01-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Surfing With The Alien is the way to go. Then Flying In A Blue Dream, then Is There Love in Space