thumb position

PDA

View Full Version : thumb position

radiantmoon
01-17-2007, 06:53 AM
how important is it to keep the thumb behind the neck while playing? is there any huge difference to playing with the thumb coming over the top of the neck?

helpful rocker1
01-17-2007, 07:42 AM
there are chords that require your thumb. so i guess its ok.

Evil_Empire24-7
01-17-2007, 07:43 AM
it makes stretching easier for wider intervals.

Yeah Dude
01-17-2007, 09:16 AM
i think with the thumb over the neck is more comfortable with bending

Resiliance
01-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Thumb over the neck suits Hendrix-style chords and position playing more, whereas thumb behind the neck gives you a better range but not enough control over vibrato etc.

I've never understood why people asked this, as I can't imagine it not being natural.

Mad Marius
01-17-2007, 09:29 AM
I usually switch between the two positions as needed, but I don't think about it much, it's more of a reflex.

TheUltimateSin
01-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Proper hand position dictates keeping it behind the neck, but as Resi said, it's harder to control vibrato while in this position. But your own comfort level will also affect how you want to have it. So, in reality, it's really a matter of what you're more comfortable with.

sock_demon
01-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Thumbing is also critical in sweeping some chords like D major pattern on the 5th , it's almost impossible to do it without putting your thumb over the fingerboard

Lost_Rose
01-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I only keep my thumb behind the neck whilst using barre chords but other than that I use my thumb for playing along the the Bottom E. Also some chords use the thumb so yea I tend to keep my thumb handy for those.

radiantmoon
01-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Thumb over the neck suits Hendrix-style chords and position playing more, whereas thumb behind the neck gives you a better range but not enough control over vibrato etc.

I've never understood why people asked this, as I can't imagine it not being natural.

well normaly i wouldnt ask but i have just started getting guitar lessons and my teacher insists i keep it behind. I showed him a song with open chords and my thumb was over the neck while playing them and he told me to keep it behind, and im finding it difficult.

Mascot
01-18-2007, 12:00 AM
I don't see any cons to keeping the thumb where it feels natural. Ask your teacher why he insists to keep it behind the neck, even when playing certain chords.