The Charlatans

PDA

View Full Version : The Charlatans

bluemoon05
01-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Anyone a big fan of this British band, I recently got the singles collection and it is absolutely quality.

Very good band.

MCRkid22
01-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Never heard of them... What are they like?

bluemoon05
01-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Little bit like Oasis and The Stone roses, same sort of thing, decent band. Been around for a long time though.

bluemoon05
01-17-2007, 02:20 PM
My Space: http://www.myspace.com/thecharlatans

Abe
01-17-2007, 04:00 PM
First albums probably the best. That or Tellin Stories.

They're pretty decent i guess, I quite like them.

_propaganda
01-18-2007, 01:45 PM
They are amazing. Alot likethe stone roses though.

chukka
01-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Tellin' Stories is great.

Great band in their day, more recent stuff's not been so good though. A bit cheesy in places.

oasis247
02-05-2007, 05:08 AM
Yeah another great band, a huge part of the Madchester music scene. Some say the are the only true survivors of it.

tezhall
02-05-2007, 09:56 AM
I liked The Only One I Know and the album Tellin Stories, but the album after that was terrible, Tim Burgess's solo stuff was very very self absorbed imo - I seem to recall that he moved out to LA to record it for better motivation, then moved back over when it bombed and got the band back together so to speak.

I do like them (it's Britpop people, I have to like it, it's the law), but I dunno if I'd say that they were the only true survivors of Madchester :confused: I mean in terms of longevity then yeah, they had a good run, but in terms of a lasting legacy, Primal Scream, Stone Roses et al carry much more "survivability" imo

If you like these then check out other bands like Supergrass, The Seahorses, Shed Seven, The Bluetones - you'll probably have a soft spot for them as well (if you don't already of course).

bluemoon05
02-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I liked The Only One I Know and the album Tellin Stories, but the album after that was terrible, Tim Burgess's solo stuff was very very self absorbed imo - I seem to recall that he moved out to LA to record it for better motivation, then moved back over when it bombed and got the band back together so to speak.

I do like them (it's Britpop people, I have to like it, it's the law), but I dunno if I'd say that they were the only true survivors of Madchester :confused: I mean in terms of longevity then yeah, they had a good run, but in terms of a lasting legacy, Primal Scream, Stone Roses et al carry much more "survivability" imo

If you like these then check out other bands like Supergrass, The Seahorses, Shed Seven, The Bluetones - you'll probably have a soft spot for them as well (if you don't already of course).

Thanks for the reccomendations, I needed a few more top quality albums, Was Squire in the seahorses?

tezhall
02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Yeah he was, very underrated band imo - Do It Yourself is an excellent album, most people only know them for Love Is The Law and/or Blinded By The Sun (both excellent as it is) but then stuff like Boy In The Picture and Happiness Is EggShaped are such opposite ends of the emotional spectrum, and both done very well I always thought.

Dan_Q
07-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Sorry to dig this one up, but I had to- one of my favourite bands :D

My personal fave album is up to our hips, their third.

I'm yet to buy the latest and tenth (if my calculations are correct) album, but I have the first 9 (or however many).

Favourite track? too many to choose from with different sounds from over the years, so really couldn't pick!

As for Burgess going to LA, he still lives there- i think some of the others do too.

If anyone fancies trying an album the only one i'd say to avoid is "simpatico" number 9 i think, the first track "blackened blue eyes" is a classic but the rest leaves a lot to be desired.

To cap it all, the charlatans rock :D