Metalcore, the disowned son of Metal

PDA

View Full Version : Metalcore, the disowned son of Metal

Nor'Easterbass
01-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Why is it that people on here have a problem with metalcore? I mean TRUE metalcore, not Atreyu or other bullshit passed off as "metalcore". FOR EXAMPLE, I will list a few bands I've seen labeled metalcore while they are still very metal.

Unearth
Byzantine
The Black Dahlia Murder
All Shall Perish (Deathcore, but still often enough labeled just Metalcore)
Chimaira

I would be more than willing to debate why these bands should be defined metal. Anyone else feel the same way or want to share their views?

RULES:
- No flaming for the sake of it (or at all for that matter)
- No intentionally ignorant comments, that just baits flammage
- State which part of the topic you're talking about (ie. if you're talking about whether (insert band here) should be considered metalcore or not, say so and then WHY).

Let's see if we can settle this once and for all. Go to it.

I_am_bored
01-17-2007, 03:47 PM
uhh, I like it, unearth and BDM are pretty good...

Atreideslegend
01-17-2007, 03:49 PM
what the hell IS metalcore? JUst sounds like sum1 added 'core' on the end to make it sound cool...

The Nameless666
01-17-2007, 03:49 PM
i like metalcore and metal.

some of the main differences are metalcore have breakdowns, metal uses more low pitch growls and metalcore has the higher screams/yells, metal uses blast beats like, a lot, and metalcore hardly uses them at all, also on last thing, metal has solos usually, and metalcore, althoguh they have some, youll rarely see one

those are just things that seperate the 2, i dont think any of those things make metalcore any less of a genre then it should be. they are both awesome

davebooska
01-17-2007, 03:52 PM
why can't they ALL just be called METAL. drop all the retarded crap at the end of the name, and leave it METAL. I think its silly how theres like 5 million different types of metal now days. Like metalcore deathcore hardcore nu-metal. the only genere that should be different from just plain metal is death or black metal. because they sound VERY different from the standard metal sound. but hardcore and all the others should just stop being used as generes.

Atreideslegend
01-17-2007, 03:52 PM
so is it like metal with emo screaming then?

White And Nerdy
01-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Unearth/Chimaira rule, their are quite a few metalcore bands that suck though...

Atreideslegend
01-17-2007, 04:10 PM
why can't they ALL just be called METAL. drop all the retarded crap at the end of the name, and leave it METAL. I think its silly how theres like 5 million different types of metal now days. Like metalcore deathcore hardcore nu-metal. the only genere that should be different from just plain metal is death or black metal. because they sound VERY different from the standard metal sound. but hardcore and all the others should just stop being used as generes.

agreed. listening to those bands most of the tracks just sound like normal metal with (imo) crap singing. can we not put stuff like different break downs and less solos and different vocals down to artistic expression without having to pidgeonhole it? All it does is make people more confused and doesnt seem to have any postive results. To me, it seems like the only reason people what to create sub-genres is coz they want to be "different" and say "i listen to hardmashcore industrial turkeymetal, i bet you'd do even KNOW what that is do u?".

TinTin8
01-17-2007, 05:04 PM
what the hell IS metalcore? JUst sounds like sum1 added 'core' on the end to make it sound cool...
exactly

to me ... i classify music as

jazz - fusion and the likes
Classical - Classsical & Flamenco
blues -
country -
Electronic - i group it all togetehr b/c i dont listen to it much
Rock - classic, contemp stuff like acoustics
Metal - Death, Black, Nu Metal (to me its mainly mainstream crap metal ...)
Pop -

so all this core stuff goes under metal

SGRocker0791
01-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Lamb of God are the only Metalcore band I like and can stand. The Black Dahlia Murder are Melodic Death Metal, by the way.