Devo

PDA

View Full Version : Devo

Siftings
01-17-2007, 07:39 PM
I wasn't sure what forum I should put this in, so if its in the wrong one....my bad. But I think this is a fantastic band, I got into them through the Nirvana cover of "Turnaround", and thats still my favorite song. Here's some wikipedia info, tirelessly transcripted by me. your welcome

"Their style has been variously classified as punk, art rock and post-punk, but they are most often remembered for their late 1970s and early 1980s New Wave music which, along with others (such as Gary Numan, Oingo Boingo, and The B-52's) ushered in the synth pop sound of the 1980s.

Devo's music and stage show mingle kitsch science fiction themes, deadpan surrealist humor, and mordantly satirical social commentary via sometimes-discordant pop songs that often feature unusual synthetic instrumentation and time signatures.

Their work has proved hugely influential on subsequent popular music, particularly New Wave and alternative rock artists, and they created many memorable music videos popular in the early days of MTV."

Discuss :dance:

Anorexorcists
01-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Devos alrite. I love nirvana's turnaround. You Should listen to the Melvins, Pixies, Vaselines. They are a lot better than devo and influenced Nirvana A lot more!

Siftings
01-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Already do :cool:
In fact I saw the Pixies at Jones Beach a few years ago

....but this is a Devo thread, Devo rules :dance: :dance: :dance:

Anorexorcists
01-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Yeh. I havent heard much of their stuff. I think the do Whip it! and that song is amazing!!

StuartR
01-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Devo = win

Are We Not Men?
We are Devo!

Doolittle
01-18-2007, 04:10 PM
yeah the first album is classic i bought it the other day it has some very good tracks. i don't know if this is just me, but, i kinda hate it when people are like "yeah i found them out through nirvana" no offence to the threadstarter and the other people, but at my school and stuff everyone is like yeah i heard about the pixies through nirvana. I mean that's cool and all, but idk, nirvana's not everything. But that's besides the point. Devo's cover of Satifaction is better than the orginal to me and mongoloid is where it's at too

Kyle Gass
01-18-2007, 07:21 PM
but at my school and stuff everyone is like yeah i heard about the pixies through nirvana.

Could be worse had a guy come up and tell me he heard of the Pixies through the movie Fight Club...

Monkeygone2hvn
01-18-2007, 08:45 PM
i think my favorite devo song is probably mongoloid, my friends band does a really sweet cover of that song. are we not men? was good i thought

balltounge
01-18-2007, 09:00 PM
got into these after hearing the satisfaction cover.

interesting video.

radio_schizo
01-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Yeah great band.

I've got an album by Hugh Cornwall from The Stranglers and on one song the guys from Devo collaberate with him to make an awesome-weird song.

mrFood
01-19-2007, 11:25 PM
I thought Devo made that 'Whip It' song.

Doolittle
01-21-2007, 06:21 PM
I thought Devo made that 'Whip It' song.
they did, but they're so much more than that song

anti
01-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Devo is considered to be a punk band by many, including myself.

StuartR
01-23-2007, 09:21 PM
They're post-punk.

I never knew Nirvana covered them.

smllfri
01-24-2007, 06:45 PM
what's Devo's mongoloid song about? what is a mongoloid? isn't that someone from mongolia?

By the way, I saw the Pixies last year and I was right up next to the stage, (I got sweat from the guitarist flung on me, not sure how I feel about that, but anyways) and I heard someone say, these are the ones that played at the end of Fight Club right? I wanted to smack someone.

Kyle Gass
01-24-2007, 07:31 PM
what's Devo's mongoloid song about? what is a mongoloid? isn't that someone from mongolia?

By the way, I saw the Pixies last year and I was right up next to the stage, (I got sweat from the guitarist flung on me, not sure how I feel about that, but anyways) and I heard someone say, these are the ones that played at the end of Fight Club right? I wanted to smack someone.

Had a friend who used to call people retarded mongoloids.... So thats what I think when I hear mongoloid

Doolittle
01-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Had a friend who used to all people retarded mongoloids.... So thats what I think when I here mongoloid
yeah a mongoloid is like an autisic person but it wasorginally a term for a mongolian person, i asked my teacher after heaing the song haha

Siftings
02-09-2007, 03:23 PM
got into these after hearing the satisfaction cover.

interesting video.
hmmm what a coincidence, cause I just happened to...have it!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CvcuaJy9OwI

:golfclap:

DorkusMalorkus
02-09-2007, 07:24 PM
i don't know if this is just me, but, i kinda hate it when people are like "yeah i found them out through nirvana" no offence to the threadstarter and the other people, but at my school and stuff everyone is like yeah i heard about the pixies through nirvana.
I know what you mean. I feel the same way about some stuff like that.

I actually didn't know the Pixies and Nirvana were connected until after I had bought a couple Pixies CDs. And yeah...Pixies > Nirvana.

Devo amazing.

Funny story. My dad is a fan of Devo (he saw them in 1984, and it was his favorite live show until 2006, when we saw the Flaming Lips). My mom was looking through some online stuff, and she said to him,"Oh no, you missed Devo at the House of Blues by a couple of days." So I checked it out, to see if they were doing any more dates, and I found out that it wasn't Devo that was playing at the House of Blues but Dev2.0, a kids version of the band. Haha!

Doolittle
02-09-2007, 07:26 PM
I know what you mean. I feel the same way about some stuff like that.

I actually didn't know the Pixies and Nirvana were connected until after I had bought a couple Pixies CDs. And yeah...Pixies > Nirvana.

Devo amazing.

Funny story. My dad is a fan of Devo (he saw them in 1984, and it was his favorite live show until 2006, when we saw the Flaming Lips). My mom was looking through some online stuff, and she said to him,"Oh no, you missed Devo at the House of Blues by a couple of days." So I checked it out, to see if they were doing any more dates, and I found out that it wasn't Devo that was playing at the House of Blues but Dev2.0, a kids version of the band. Haha!

:haha
devo 2.0....hilarious maybe, mildly depressing..yeah...

CornLord
02-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Devo is great.

I love how "Beautiful World" sounds so happy until the end. Talk about ironic.

iamjosh
02-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Devo is a great band, and terribly underrated by so many. Their cynicism makes me smile. "Beautiful World" is one of my favorites. Perfect Devo sound, perfect Devo lyrics... that shit's got it all.

Doolittle
02-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Devo is a great band, and terribly underrated by so many. Their cynicism makes me smile. "Beautiful World" is one of my favorites. Perfect Devo sound, perfect Devo lyrics... that shit's got it all.
indeed that's my favorite Devo song

Pharoah
02-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Devo's been a favourite band of mine for a while now. But mainly Gary Numan; he released a new album called 'Jagged' you need to listen to. A Flock of Seagulls and John Foxx are also great electronic artists. Oh, and Thomas Dolby!

joshsirjoshules
02-23-2007, 10:37 PM
I like the whole first album. I like how when they played "Uncontrollable Urge" live, Mark Mothersbaugh just stayed still the entire song. Perfect. "Space Junk" is also really good.

MCMTEDNUGENT
03-08-2007, 08:04 AM
They're a f****** joke, losers.

StuartR
03-08-2007, 12:53 PM
You're a joke.

Doolittle
03-08-2007, 03:49 PM
and ted Nugunet's not?

paintITblack39
03-11-2007, 04:27 AM
They're a f****** joke, losers.
Pfft, go listen to Ted Nugent, you Ted Nugent lover.

Mark Mothersbaugh > The Nuge

By the way, is anyone else interested in the soundtrack Mark does for Wes Anderson in some of his movies? I personally like the tracks in Life Aquatic and Rushmore.

Ferdinandstrat
03-11-2007, 04:32 AM
I loved "Whip It".

"Oh that Alan!"

teenage riot
03-12-2007, 12:47 PM
I love DEVO especially Satisfaction it's my favourite song by them.

Jocko Homo is good too and of course Turnaround.

bradulator
01-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Bumpin' cause does anybody else love Devo?

Doolittle
01-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Still love Devo and still think Ted Nugent is a joke.

Also :haha: @ my 15 yr old self's stream of consciousness posts.

neidnarb11890
01-03-2012, 04:03 AM
Devo are cool, for some reason I was thinking about Something For Everybody while I was showering this morning, but then I forgot about it so I didn't listen to it.

Hereiwas
01-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Ah wow, i really like Devo alot right now. I got Q: Are We Not Men and the one with Whip It on the other day, with extra live tracks. They were so good live! like, much more than makes sense.