same Chord, Different name

PDA

View Full Version : same Chord, Different name

unconstrained60
01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Alright in my guitar/theory class, we are working on building chords and such. We are also workingon chords that have multiple names, and seeing they they have more than one name (for instance why Am is the same as C6, or why Cm is the same a F9)

And I'm in a bit of a rut. The instructor gave us a sheet with a bunch of triads on it, and we have to fine four names for each one. (each chord name has to have a different root note)

I was just wondering if there was a shortcut to doing this, or if someone could try to explain it to me in their own words.

Thanks

bangoodcharlote
01-17-2007, 08:09 PM
The instructor gave us a sheet with a bunch of triads on it

and we have to fine four names for each one. :confused: :confused:

Does anyone else see this as an impossible task.

Not to mention that I resent the idea of calling x02210 C6.

By the way, Cm would be F6. If Am=C6, then Cm must=F6.

unconstrained60
01-17-2007, 08:19 PM
There are the instructions on the asignment "For each triad give 4 names,based on your knowledge/experience with music theory, chord substitution, partial voicing, and upper partials. "

So I think the triad is the "upper partial" and you have to find a root that will fit, lower than the notes in the triad. It's all very confusing to me.

This was supposed to be a jazz band class, but there are only 5 kids, and four play guitar, and the last piano, so it's a little hard to make a jazz band. So the teacher said "hey, let's make it a guitar class" Even though the teacher himself doesn't play guitar.... So he is going off of what his friends came in and talk to us about.

So this is an "adventurous" class to say the least.

Mr Songwriter
01-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Chord namer can only find 3 names for C6 though you could probably get more if you use a different inversion of the chord:

http://jguitar.com/chordname?string5=x&string4=1&string3=2&string2=2&string1=3&string0=x

unconstrained60
01-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Thank you, at least now I can do the assignment, and he will explain it to us in class tommorow

bangoodcharlote
01-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Chord namer can only find 3 names for C6 though you could probably get more if you use a different inversion of the chord: The inversion doesn't matter, because that's the assingment: to find names for the different inversions. Anyway, I don't see how there could be a fourth name for a chord with three notes, unless you try to consider the triad the upper notes of a rootless chord, but that would be ridiculous.

unconstrained60
01-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I actually think taht's what he wants, some BS like the bassist should be playing the root, assuming you have a bassist.

bangoodcharlote
01-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I actually think taht's what he wants, some BS like the bassist should be playing the root, assuming you have a bassist. Yup, that would be a rootless voicing.

PinkFloyd73
01-17-2007, 08:50 PM
its all based on the "key tones" that make chord substitution possible. Its kinda complicated(at least the way i was taught it...which was sort of myself sorta my teacher) ask a teacher to explain it

Mr Songwriter
01-17-2007, 10:39 PM
The inversion doesn't matter, because that's the assingment: to find names for the different inversions. Anyway, I don't see how there could be a fourth name for a chord with three notes, unless you try to consider the triad the upper notes of a rootless chord, but that would be ridiculous.

C6 has got four notes in it, C, E, G and A.

Oh, and about the business of using a different inversion to get different names for the chord, how about:

http://jguitar.com/chordname?string5=3&string4=5&string3=2&string2=2&string1=3&string0=x

...there's another two.

bangoodcharlote
01-17-2007, 10:51 PM
C6 has got four notes in it, C, E, G and A. The assignment involves triads. There are only three notes in triads.