Traffic

PDA

View Full Version : Traffic

psychodelia
01-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Haven't seen a Traffic thread in a while... great band. John Barleycorn Must Die, Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory, When the Eagle Flies, Mr. Fantasy and Low Spark of High Heeled Boys are great studio albums, and On the Road is one hell of a live album.

One, we can discuss Traffic, but two, I also have a question: does anyone have Last Great Traffic Jam and is it worth getting?

VR05
01-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Finally, I don't think i've ever seen a Traffic thread. My parents first got me into them when I never heard of them before.. Now they're probably one of my top 10 favorite bands.

I don't have the Last Great Traffic Jam, but I did see clips of the video, and it looked pretty good.. and Jerry Garcia was on it..

noah22791
01-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I like them. I only have their greatest hits though.

paintITblack39
01-18-2007, 08:43 PM
I heard Mr. Fantasy and it's a really good song :D

Andrewbiles
01-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Always enjoyed them in doses, a whole album of their stuff just loses my attention.

BrainDamage
01-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Ah, I love Traffic. Steve Winwood is a great musician (I :heart: his voice). Medicated Goo is one of my favorite songs ever.

One, we can discuss Traffic, but two, I also have a question: does anyone have Last Great Traffic Jam and is it worth getting? I have the DVD, and I like it a lot.

EDIT: John Barleycorn Must Die is a great, great album.

Lost_Rose
01-19-2007, 05:23 PM
I have got the album and I can safely say that its worth getting!
The only songs I dont like on it are
40,000 headman (or sumin)
Glad and the first one off the second disk (cant remember name)

Plus Mozambique has one of teh greatest riffs me thinks

BrainDamage
01-19-2007, 05:24 PM
I have got the album and I can safely say that its worth getting!
The only songs I dont like on it are
40,000 headman (or sumin)
Glad and the first one off the second disk (cant remember name)

Plus Mozambique has one of teh greatest riffs me thinks :eek: you don't like Glad?!

Lost_Rose
01-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Nope it has never jumped out at me (or prehaps as my mum loves it is why I dont lol)

lexhibit
01-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Last Exit is my favorite. Sure it's an album of leftovers, but it has the 3 best Traffic songs, Medicated Goo, Withering Tree and Shanghi Noodle Factory.

Chris Wood, Jim Capaldi, Rick Grech & Rebop (RIP)

BrainDamage
01-19-2007, 05:32 PM
^^...Steve Winwood? :p:

Lost_Rose
01-19-2007, 05:41 PM
:haha wouldnt suprise me

TheHeartbreaker
01-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Traffic are easily one of my favorite bands.

Every album of theirs is amazing. By far, though, my favorite album, though live, is On the Road.

The power of the opening song (well, two songs :p: ), Glad/Freedom Rider, is unbelievable.

I also highly recommend checking out another excellent live album entitled Welcome to the Canteen.

al_
04-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Traffic is nuts. I was gonna make a thread but just found this. I have their first 2 albums (Mr Fantasy, Traffic) and would like to get John Barleycorn Must Die, from which Ive only heard "freedom rider". These guys sound is wonderfully rich. The incorporation of non standard rock instruments is so key to their sound in my opinion.

House for Everyone is a great song, perhaps my favourite from what ive heard.

TheHeartbreaker
04-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Freedom Rider is amazing, but when combined into Glad/Freedom Rider on the live album On the Road it evolves into a musical orgasm.

therussian
04-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Traffic's great. I checked them out after I started listening to Blind Faith.

TheHeartbreaker
04-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Another of Winwood's great bands.

therussian
04-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Indeed. Winwood and Clapton? Almost as good as Bruce and Clapton.

TDMize15
04-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Kind of funny story (to me at least)...

I was riding with my best friend and his father to a Braves game (in his Cadillac), listening to XM Radio.

We always try and guess who is the artist on the radio...well anyways so a song comes on and we all guess some bullshit...and we push the button...and his dad goes..."Traffic, F**K!!!" (They were apparently his nemesis in the song guessing game).

It was great...so we bought him a Traffic CD for his birthday.

And crazy enough, I researched them...realized who Steve Winwood was (Clapton is my favorite...so I made the Blind Faith connection)... and Traffic is now easily in my Top 10 favorite bands ever.

My favorite song is "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys"...but of course "Dear Mr. Fantsay" and "Feelin' Alright" are great.

I prefer Winwood's songs over Mason's...mainly just because Winwood's voice is so incredible. He is so talented.

Great Great Band...very sad that few people have heard of them.

TheHeartbreaker
04-22-2007, 08:47 AM
:haha

That's one way to get into a band.

vintage x metal
05-28-2008, 07:27 PM
I wasn't sure which Traffic thread to revive, as there are a number of them, but this one had the most posts... well anyway
Traffic is an absolutely fantastic band and extremely underrated in today's music. The jazzy, smooth vibes, the phenomenal playing, and just the whole lot of variety in each song are incredible. I've had Traffic for a few weeks now and just got John Barleycorn Must Die today, and I've just been blown away.

BrainDamage
05-28-2008, 07:54 PM
^^Oh man, I haven't listened to John Barleycorn in a long time. What a great album. Steve Winwood is one of the most under appreciated musicians in Classic Rock. The man can do it all.

vintage x metal
05-28-2008, 08:53 PM
^ He's incredible. It's almost astounding that he's not well-known. Hell, the whole band needs more recognition.

BOC15
05-29-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't know too much about Traffic, but i do love their Dear Mr. Fantasy, that is one of my favorite songs.

TDMize15
05-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Anyone else see Steve Winwood absolutely steal the show at Crossroads when he played "Dear Mr. Fantasy"? One of the best solos I have ever seen.

If you are interested:
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=rcdVLyxWZZw

I'm seeing Steve open for Tom Petty this July, I can't wait.

Andrewbiles
06-01-2008, 11:06 AM
^ Nice, it even shut the damn birds up for 8 minutes.

TheHeartbreaker
06-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Winwood is one of the most under appreciated musicians in Classic Rock. The man can do it all.

Indeed.

Anyone else here have the new album?

BrainDamage
06-01-2008, 03:39 PM
^^Yeah, I do. I only listened to it once through, but it is very good.

TheHeartbreaker
06-01-2008, 03:55 PM
I enjoyed it a lot too. Not as much as any Traffic album, but it was good on its own merit.

I believe that I'll be seeing Mr. Winwood with Tom Petty in a couple of weeks, so I'm assuming that he'll be playing that album in-full, or at least the majority of it.

BrainDamage
06-01-2008, 04:05 PM
^^Yeah, I've got my tickets. You couldn't ask for a better pairing of artists.

TheHeartbreaker
06-02-2008, 01:06 PM
I know, right? :p: