Cliff Burton?

PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Burton?

itrytofixtabs
01-18-2007, 09:51 PM
I keep on hearing people say how great Cliff Burton was and how Metallica died when Cliff died. I was just wondering what he did for Metallica that's so important. And people say that if Cliff wasn't dead Metallica would still be cool, how come?. Don't get all pissed at me because I don't know.

[hex]
01-18-2007, 10:07 PM
well he helped to write what is considered matallica's best albums... kill em all, ride the lightning ( <--i love it) and master of puppets. he did anestesia (pulling teeth) which i obviously cant spell. he never used picks, just fingers (\m/ go cliff) and is one of the most influential bassists ever. Perion. even in death (r.i.p). he was just great.. hey no one's gonna get pissed. so don't sweat it lol

[hex]
01-18-2007, 10:10 PM
oh well according to a quote from lars...if cliff was alive none of that black album and load shit would have happened.... yeh they would have still been cool cuz they would have been true to their music...*sigh*

BadBishop
01-18-2007, 10:13 PM
If Cliff were alive Metallica's greatest song "One" (and video) would have never been made. In fact, I think no Metallica videos would have ever been made and they certainly wouldn't have been as popular (well mainstream) or rich as they are now.

itrytofixtabs
01-18-2007, 10:43 PM
If Cliff were alive Metallica's greatest song "One" (and video) would have never been made. In fact, I think no Metallica videos would have ever been made and they certainly wouldn't have been as popular (well mainstream) or rich as they are now.

That's their problem now. They try to be too popular. Metallica's only good music video was One and that's definately not their greatest song.

itrytofixtabs
01-18-2007, 11:08 PM
What did he really contribute to the first 3 albums? Did he help with the guitar or suggest what riffs to use. Would he have stopped James and Kirk from using the guitar parts that they made in the black album.

Lemoninfluence
01-19-2007, 06:02 AM
guitar parts arent the only parts to a song. every band mamber contributes and affects how songs sound.

Basslines would have been different, the mixing may have been different (the bass would have probably been more prominent cos the rest of the band just bullied newsted). In jams, he would have played different things than newsted. then the guitar parts put over that would have been different.

If one bandmember doesnt like the overall sound of a song then usually you work towards improving it. Cliff had different taste to Newsted and so his input would have been different.

GiantRaven
01-19-2007, 09:06 AM
I reckon he had the best knowledge in music

They were way more technical and interesting when he was in the band (with the exception of Jusitce)

Kobrakai
01-19-2007, 09:29 AM
He introduced them to melodies and such like.

mrlee192
01-19-2007, 02:13 PM
cliff burton is a total legend, hes just classic. For whom the bell tolls would be nowhere near as cool without his bass intro.

Orion
Pulling Teeth
The Thing that should not be

Classic metallica tracks he helped create.

Also he enabled kirk and james to become better musicians by broadening there tastes and teaching them other musical knowledge.

guitarhero_764
01-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Guys, don't go slammin on Justice, it had a lot of cliff influence on it. And Jason is not bad.

But Cliff is awesome

GiantRaven
01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Guys, don't go slammin on Justice, it had a lot of cliff influence on it. And Jason is not bad.

But Cliff is awesome
I wasn't slamming it

I was saying there was still that technical side to it, reminiscent of the earlier albums despite Cliff not playing on it

rob_the_useless
02-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Somebody up top said it best when they said "newsted was bullied".Jason tried to maked the band happy,so yea he had to substitue lots of riffs an play behind the guitars.But cliff was untaimed an was allowed to work threw the guitar riffs.So you cant fairly compair the twos works sence jason never had the chance to show his full abilities.Besides cliff had a broader range of influence then jason did.Thats one of the only real facts when compairing there material.