Beatles chat

PDA

View Full Version : Beatles chat

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Polaroid
01-19-2007, 12:07 AM
I've been a long fan of the Beatles and their favourite album of mine is the White Album. I have listened to a lot of music and I still think hands down that they are the greatest rock band to have graced this planet. But I see that most people I come across claim that they suck and are overrated. So is anyone here a fan of the Beatles or at least like their music?

treefiddey
01-19-2007, 12:11 AM
I agree
they kick ass
and are my favorite band

stratster23
01-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Hell yeah the Beatles are the best, There's no one they can be overrated they were musical genious's and innovators.

jim morrison714
01-19-2007, 01:25 AM
incredible songwriting. they aren't overrated at all. probably the greatest and most influential band ever

les_paul_01
01-19-2007, 02:05 AM
^yeah, i guess a lot of bands can string together 3 or 4 big hits, but the beatles were just so prolific in making great music.

i mean, this afternoon i added "1" (the greatest hits kind thing with all 27 of their no. 1 hits) to my mp3 player, and its just staggering the sheer amount of such great music.

i don't have any 1 favourite album of theirs, though i do prefer the first 5 ones, and can pretty much listen to them all the way through and enjoy it.

Strat_Monkey
01-19-2007, 09:42 AM
The first time I had a 'favourite song' it was Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, so I guess that I'd say Sgt. Pepper's is my favourite Beatles album. I find there earlier stuff kind of annoying though (I wanna hold your ha-aa-aand etc. Blegh). But still, awesome band.

And remember: Paul's dead! And John Lives!

Lost_Rose
01-19-2007, 12:11 PM
One of my favourite bands. No-one can say they are overrated as no band has so many great songs that will live forever and no band will ever take their crown as the greatest band ever!!!

jim morrison714
01-19-2007, 03:59 PM
i'm not a huge fan of their early years. from revolver and on is my favorite

TheHeartbreaker
01-19-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm not a huge fan of their debut album, nor Please Please Me, along with a few of their others.

Their best early album, for me at least, is A Hard Day's Night.

However, my favorite album of theirs is either Rubber Soul or, not one of my favorites until recently, Abbey Road.

While I enjoy The White Album, I do believe that is one of their more overrated albums. Though it contains some of their classic songs, as a whole I feel that a lot of the album consists of fillers.

IrishBlues
01-19-2007, 08:32 PM
^ I agree about The White Album, though even if you cut that album down into one disc it would still be my favorite.

TheHeartbreaker
01-19-2007, 08:38 PM
I would enjoy it more if the fillers were taken away. I mean, it's still a good album, but I find that it is highly overrated and far from their best.

paintITblack39
01-19-2007, 08:50 PM
I :heart: Abbey Road and Revolver.

Best. Albums. Ever.

IrishBlues
01-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I would enjoy it more if the fillers were taken away. I mean, it's still a good album, but I find that it is highly overrated and far from their best.

Yeah thats how I feel. There are some great songs but the album as a whole is not as great as some of their others.

lexhibit
01-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Yeah thats how I feel. There are some great songs but the album as a whole is not as great as some of their others.
What makes the White Album work for me IS the filler then the killer tunes after the filler, it ebbs and flows. I can't imagine hearing John's great Bungalo Bill without the one-take throwaway Paul song Wild Honey Pie before it. That's just me.

TheHeartbreaker
01-19-2007, 10:23 PM
I know that feeling you're talking about, lexhibit, where one song builds up to the greatness of another because there is a contrast between the two with one being only an okay song, and the other an awesome song, but I just felt this was something used throughout the entire album, and then also topped with more fillers so that there were these fillers inbetween the other fillers.

jim morrison714
01-20-2007, 04:10 AM
abbey road is george's best work with here comes the sun and something. i wish he wrote more songs. i think he had way more potential than he showed(or was allowed to show) in the beatles and you can see that on all things must pass

TheHeartbreaker
01-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Exactly. I feel that George was easily the better musician of The Beatles, but he was denied, basically, of sharing his work with the group because of the over-inflated egos of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

Sadly, even with an amazing solo career, George was still kept in the shadows.

Strat_Monkey
01-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeah, George's work is my favourite of any of the Beatles' solo work.

bluemoon05
03-16-2007, 05:07 PM
I can't believe this is The beatles thread. surely there must be a bigger one elsewhere, I can't find it anyway...

Started getting into the beatles only a few months ago and have been listening to their albums chronlogically. Up to Magical Mystery Tour and I can see why they are well thought to be the best band ever

I Play Guitar!
03-16-2007, 05:11 PM
The Beatles are my favorite band ever!

daytripper75
03-16-2007, 05:21 PM
i love The Beatles. not many people have/will ever achieve the success that they did.

Sloopy
03-16-2007, 09:07 PM
^ Nobody will. They were the first big stars, they couldn't even go to the studio without being mobbed. It got so bad they couldn't even play live anymore. They were the first and at some times were the industry scapegoats. They also made music videos 15 years before anyone would care about using them for their career.

andersoncouncil
03-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Well, I haven't heard much Beatles, but I like the song I Am the Walrus and I'm looking for a few other songs (or albums but preferably songs for now) to listen to that are somewhat similar.

I also really enjoy John's solo work. Another reason I ought to listen to more of the Beatles I guess.

TheSnow
03-18-2007, 02:28 AM
I love The Beatles. They're very talented, their music is a musician's dream, and they've written so many friggin hits! It's just like an undeniably awesome band. They're not nearly my favourite, but without them, most of my favourite bands wouldn't exist.

Cptbeefheart
03-18-2007, 11:08 AM
They are probably my favorite band. They are one of the bands that got me deeper into music when I was just a young boy. It's ironic that they are the only one of those first bands that still gets heavy rotation on my Ipod and in my Cd player. No matter how many times I turn to other bands and other styles of music, I almost always come back to the Beatles.

paintITblack39
03-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Exactly. I feel that George was easily the better musician of The Beatles, but he was denied, basically, of sharing his work with the group because of the over-inflated egos of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

Sadly, even with an amazing solo career, George was still kept in the shadows.
It is a shame. His songwriting and playing skills were so great. "All Things Must Pass" was such a great album.

Although, I think McCartney was probably the best musician out of all of them. He played the guitar and bass so well. Not only that, his voice is, in my opinion, one of the best in Rock.

metallicaPOOS
03-18-2007, 12:44 PM
beatles are gods. they inspired every band to come after them whether those bands know it or not.

bluemoon05
03-20-2007, 05:00 AM
Anyone fancy setting up a Beatles competition over in the cover song contests, there should defintlely be one there.

Jesse Mrau
03-20-2007, 05:06 AM
While I was walking over to a friend's place today, and on the way I listened to Revolver for the first time in awhile. It just completely rekindled my love for The Beatles. It's all I've been listening to all day.

^I might be up for that.

Carnivean
03-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Happy Anniversary to John and Yoko Ono who wed on this day, March 20, way back in 1969.

:cheers:

TDMize15
03-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Even though they all hated each other during this album..."Let it Be" is one of my fav's.

Songs such as Let it Be, Get Back, The Long and Winding Road (my fav ever), and I've Got a Feeling.

Great Stuff...

Sgt. Pepper's is amazing...and the White Album too

bluemoon05
03-21-2007, 03:02 PM
While I was walking over to a friend's place today, and on the way I listened to Revolver for the first time in awhile. It just completely rekindled my love for The Beatles. It's all I've been listening to all day.

^I might be up for that.

I would set it up myself but I wou;dn't be very good at sticking to it, sod it I might do it anyway

moptop1964
03-21-2007, 08:39 PM
damn right im a fan. i think Rubber Soul and Revolver are my favorites but how can you narrow down all those sweet songs that they recorded and put out to the world? You Can't (in my oppinion)

therussian
03-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Revolver is, in my opinion, the greatest of all Beatles albums. Then Sgt Peppers, then Magical Mystery, and then a tie between Abbey Road and the White Album. It's hard to decide, but possible.

What's harder (no, impossible) is to rank your favourite Beatles songs

I mean, can anyone here honestly list their five favourite Beatles songs? I can't even list the top 20.

Cptbeefheart
03-21-2007, 10:25 PM
I probably couldn't even do a top 50. I mean honestly, choosing between Beatles tracks is like choosing between children.

Marines Rock
03-23-2007, 01:29 AM
I really like the Beatles. My fav album by them is a tie between their fisrt album and the White album. The Beatles had a major impact on music and our culture in many ways. Without the Beatles our music would be totally different than it is today. The Beatle that had the biggest impact were John Lennon and and Paul McCartney. Actually more so Lennon than McCarteny. The Lennon/McCartney team helped revolutionize the way we write music today. Lennon/McCartney can absolutly be conciderd one of the best song writing teams ever. The Beatles overrated, I think not. Were would be today without the music of the Beatles.
I hope you have a nice day and ROCK ON!!! :)

Strat_Monkey
03-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Well, my favourite Beatles' song is Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, it was the first song I can ever remember liking as a kid, and the images it puts in my mind are as vivid and powerful as they ever were. Plus, going up to hardcore Beatles fans and saying "Lucy in the Sky is about LSD, y'know," is even more fun than naked ping-pong.

Ryanatthebass
03-25-2007, 02:22 PM
I love the Beatles, from their first hits through the band members' solo carrers. Abbey Road is my all time favorite album, you just can't beat it.

Paul McCartney inspired me to play bass when I was 12 when I heard the basslines in Something and I Wanna Hold Your Hand

Sloopy
03-25-2007, 02:29 PM
I probably couldn't even do a top 50. I mean honestly, choosing between Beatles tracks is like choosing between children.

Yeah, choosing between children is hard, yet they choose between you and your wife pretty fast after a divorce.

My all time favourite track at the moment is definately "I Am the Walrus".

Wait for me to contradict that in a matter of days.

GnikNus
03-25-2007, 02:32 PM
possibly my favorite band. i have all there cds but beatles for sale. revolver, sgt. peppers, abbey road, and the white album are too hard to choose between. anyone heard you know my name? weird song. dear prudence is my favorite at the moment though it seems to change daily

Sloopy
03-25-2007, 02:34 PM
possibly my favorite band. i have all there cds but beatles for sale. revolver, sgt. peppers, abbey road, and the white album are too hard to choose between. anyone heard you know my name? weird song. dear prudence is my favorite at the moment

You Know My Name ROCKS! Dude that sax solo is orgasmic.

GnikNus
03-25-2007, 02:38 PM
You Know My Name ROCKS! Dude that sax solo is orgasmic.
i know! it's a shame that some of the beatles b sides are kinda hard to find

Sloopy
03-25-2007, 02:39 PM
^ That's what Torrent is for :p:

There are some others that are great too that I've got on LP.

GnikNus
03-25-2007, 02:42 PM
^ That's what Torrent is for :p:

There are some others that are great too that I've got on LP.
haha, good point. i got past masters and that seems to have most if not all the b-sides :D rain and old brown shoe are very underated imo

Sloopy
03-25-2007, 02:47 PM
^ Old Brown Shoe is great.

Look up Freddie Mercury's pre-Queen band Wreckage doing a 1968 cover of Rain. Its really good.

GnikNus
03-25-2007, 02:50 PM
^ Old Brown Shoe is great.

Look up Freddie Mercury's pre-Queen band Wreckage doing a 1968 cover of Rain. Its really good.

will do. where'd you find it?

Sloopy
03-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Limewire has it. Torrent prob too.

MaltedMilk
03-26-2007, 09:25 AM
i'm not a huge fan of their early years. from revolver and on is my favorite :cheers:
The studio years were where they really got interesting :D
Rubber Soul onwards I'd say.
Anyway, have any of you beatles geeks seen these (http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/awp-notes_on.shtml) , I find it abselutely fascinating, although it could be accused of 'sucking the fun out of music'.

therussian
03-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Same. Rubber Soul and beyond. I'm not too fond of the early stuff, though I don't hate it.

Yeah, and Alan Pollack's site. I've checked it out every once and a while.

"Tele" Steve
03-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Ultimately The Beatles are and will always be my favorite band. They were the first rock band I actively listened to.

Sloopy
03-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Ultimately The Beatles are and will always be my favorite band. They were the first rock band I actively listened to.

I think a lot of people are like that. The Beatles are played throughout everyone's life even if they don't consider themselves a fan. Especially with the boomers all having had kids within the last 15 - 20 years the Beatles popularity has really boosted.

groll01
03-26-2007, 08:00 PM
happyness is a warm gun is one of my fav songs atm, my whole family is obsessed with the beatles

facesofhope
03-27-2007, 07:16 AM
happyness is a warm gun is one of my fav songs atm, my whole family is obsessed with the beatles

holy crap same here. i just realised how good it is.

bluemoon05
03-27-2007, 09:16 AM
I think a lot of people are like that. The Beatles are played throughout everyone's life even if they don't consider themselves a fan. Especially with the boomers all having had kids within the last 15 - 20 years the Beatles popularity has really boosted.

Ye it's amazing how on last.fm they are virtually the most listened to and they havent done anything for 40 years, quite incredible, 37 million plays.

Sloopy
03-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Ye it's amazing how on last.fm they are virtually the most listened to and they havent done anything for 40 years, quite incredible, 37 million plays.

Nobody else in the history of music will ever do that. Seriously that's stunning thanks for the info.

Does last.fm have more younger listeners than older? (Old is like 35+)

therussian
03-27-2007, 09:39 PM
I think there are more young people, though I'm not completely sure.
---------------
Well, I guess I should tell my story. I discovered the Beatles about 3 years ago. The first song i heard was Let it Be, and for a long time I didn't really see them as anything special. Then my friend was like "dude, the Beatles are awesome", so I started to listen to more and more. Of course, I heard the more general Beatles songs first: Hey Jude, Strawberry Fields etc. But then I started to delve deeper, and discovered Revolver, with songs such as "I'm only Sleeping", "Taxman".....ah, it was heaven. Since then, they've been my favourite band. No on will surpass them

And through all of this, my mom always bitched at me. She grew up in the Soviet Union, and there was this guy in their apartment complex that always listened to the Beatles......she hated it. She still hates it. Every time I pop in a CD into her car she tells me to "turn off that damned old-person's music"..............um yeah

Maybe she'll see the light someday.

Sloopy
03-27-2007, 10:22 PM
^ Touching.

I got into em through my older bro, who was buying these records firsthand in the 60's.

bluemoon05
03-29-2007, 04:02 AM

I'm not entirely sure but if you look at the top beatles listeners accounts there all around 20.

The person who has listened to it most this week is 20, 2nd most: 17, 3rd: 28

not sure how much of an indication that is but I'd say last FM is mainly young people anyway, so ye preety damn amzing when you think about it.

lostboyjp
03-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Hands down greatest band EVER!!! and if anyone disagrees they can take it up with me!

my favorite album is Sgt. Pepper

Sloopy
03-29-2007, 09:24 PM
^ Why is your favourite album Sgt. Pepper?

Wavy Hair
03-30-2007, 01:17 PM
I think they have more older listeners. Well today's youth may have heard about them but don't have interest to get more deeper into them. If I only look at my class nobody realy cares. But there are still older people who were young when they were popular, like my father, who is also a fan, I believe there are more like him.

MaltedMilk
03-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I reckon a lot of people don't give them a chance because of their more manufactured 'cheesy pop' early music. People don't realise that they became a very origonal rock band later on.

As a side note, I finally got round to buying the white album today, I'm listening to the first half as i type.

Wavy Hair
03-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Their earlier work didn't realy fascinated me either, but later on I didn't even have to know the song to know I am going to love it in some way. It's great they stop touring and made all that great stuff. White album is great, while my guitar gently weeps, yer blues, happiness is a warm gun and cry baby cry are my favorites.

Sloopy
03-30-2007, 06:35 PM
^ Their early work suited the times. Had they not done that they wouldn't have even left Liverpool.

Wavy Hair
03-31-2007, 04:06 AM
That's true, I'm just saying they might not make Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, if they wouldn't decide to stop with tours.

MaltedMilk
03-31-2007, 10:25 AM
^ Their early work suited the times. Had they not done that they wouldn't have even left Liverpool.Agreed, but I'd say it's the more experimental stuff that left the lasting impact on music.

bluemoon05
03-31-2007, 12:19 PM
I still haven't finsihed listening to all of the albums, I'm up to Magical Mystery TOur ATM

paintITblack39
03-31-2007, 12:49 PM
I still haven't finsihed listening to all of the albums, I'm up to Magical Mystery TOur ATM
I can see you've gotten through Strawberry Fields :)

Did anyone check out the Beatles video page I posted in the Classic Rock Video thread?

Sloopy
03-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Agreed, but I'd say it's the more experimental stuff that left the lasting impact on music.

I disagree. The casual fan I think knows more about A Hard Days Night than The White Album.

bluemoon05
03-31-2007, 04:45 PM
I can see you've gotten through Strawberry Fields :)

Did anyone check out the Beatles video page I posted in the Classic Rock Video thread?

Really, Where did you get that idea :eek: :p:

Ye just about to start listening to the white album :D

Sloopy
03-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Really, Where did you get that idea :eek: :p:

Ye just about to start listening to the white album :D

You guys should buy Let It Be. That's always been my favourite.

jac_murphy
03-31-2007, 10:52 PM
^ Same here.

Sloopy
04-01-2007, 05:46 PM
^ Same here.

Nice. What do you think of Abbey Road?

-=Led_Hed=-
04-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Revolver drops the bomb baby, its right at that interval between their early poppish stuff and the Psychadelia era, Eleanor Rigby, Yellow Submarine, Within You Without You, Doc Robert and Tommorow Never Knows < Best Beatles tune (IMO) plus it has the awsomest cover, theres a freakin monkey comin outa Paul's ear!!

Sloopy
04-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Revolver drops the bomb baby, its right at that interval between their early poppish stuff and the Psychadelia era, Eleanor Rigby, Yellow Submarine, Within You Without You, Doc Robert and Tommorow Never Knows < Best Beatles tune (IMO) plus it has the awsomest cover, theres a freakin monkey comin outa Paul's ear!!

Haha. That's why its my avvy.

MaltedMilk
04-02-2007, 05:05 AM
You guys should buy Let It Be. That's always been my favourite.Yuh, same here. It really has that feel of a bunch of guys playing together, IDK, maybe that's cos I've seen the film. Abbey Road is my other favorate, theres just not a single weak moment.

radio_schizo
04-02-2007, 05:23 AM
^
You Never Give Me Your Money
Oh! Darling
Golden Slumbers
Maxwells Silver Hammer (except the chorus)

...are pretty annoying songs IMO.

To be brutally honest if I had to get rid of one of the Beatles It's have to be Paul. Obviously he has written loads of amazing songs for them and I love his bass lines, but I always find that my least favourite songs generally seem to be the one he sings.

No disrespect to him though. He is a genious - but I find alot of his songs too poppy and boring.

Sloopy
04-02-2007, 07:30 PM
^
You Never Give Me Your Money
Oh! Darling
Golden Slumbers
Maxwells Silver Hammer (except the chorus)

...are pretty annoying songs IMO.

To be brutally honest if I had to get rid of one of the Beatles It's have to be Paul. Obviously he has written loads of amazing songs for them and I love his bass lines, but I always find that my least favourite songs generally seem to be the one he sings.

No disrespect to him though. He is a genious - but I find alot of his songs too poppy and boring.

I'd dump Ringo.

Cptbeefheart
04-02-2007, 07:59 PM
I'd dump Ringo too. Sure he has personality, but he is an above average drummer at best.

RUBBERSOUL35:15
04-02-2007, 09:46 PM
There is only so much i can say about the beatles in this forum. If you just listen to their songs with an open mind and hear the talent that was put in its truly amazing. They were the ones who started everything back then. 'Revolver' was the break-through album (as most people say) and with the things they did on its no wonder why it was. Im only sleeping had backwards guitar solo's, john sung out of rotating 'leslie' speakers on 'Tomorrow never knows' and paul brought an orcastra(sp?) in for 'Eleanor Rigby'. Everything they did weather with great effort or no effort at all was increadible. Anyone who plays an intrument and writes songs can agree that what they did was not easy. The beatles are the only band who had 5 songs in the top 5 spots at the same time. They came out with hit after hit and album after album like it was nothing. crazy.

anyone else know that "Got to get you into my life" was written by Paul about marijuwana, i guess he admited it at a press interview during the 90's..kinda crazy if u listen to the lyrics.

Sloopy
04-02-2007, 09:48 PM
I'd dump Ringo too. Sure he has personality, but he is an above average drummer at best.

Haha remember my Ringo rant in the Sgt. Pepper thread?

You guys here should find that. Historic stuff right there.

Cptbeefheart
04-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Yes, I do. I'll try to find it..

Sloopy
04-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Yes, I do. I'll try to find it..

Adaytripper sigged one of my comments from it. Would you mind posting it for all the Beatles Chat readers to see?

Cptbeefheart
04-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Which Sgt. Pepper thread? I can't find it in the one with the poll.

Bebemanger
04-02-2007, 10:26 PM
For me, the last 3 tracks of Abbey Road (minus Her Majesty) are the climax of their entire career. You see the beauty of their songwriting in Golden Slumbers as well as the vocal capabilities of John and Paul, more so Paul; Carry that weight picks right up from where the previous track left off and builds the drive which carries into The End (I also love the little backtracking of the trumpets from you never give me your money); and of course The End finishes off with their most meaningful lyric. It's so fun to just listen to these tracks over and over again, gives me goosebumps every time.

Cptbeefheart
04-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Yea, it was their true swan song. Let it Be was an excellent record too. But The Long and Winding Road just isn't the same as The End (minus Her Majesty of course, the only true flaw on the record)

Bebemanger
04-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Yea, it was their true swan song. Let it Be was an excellent record too. But The Long and Winding Road just isn't the same as The End (minus Her Majesty of course, the only true flaw on the record)

Actually, The Long and Winding road is my favorite Beatles song, what I really love about that one and the The End is just the heaviness and emotion that comes though; The Long and Winding Road especially, the violins paired up with the expressiveness of the vocals make this "Oh my god, these guys are ****ing geniuses" feeling.

Cptbeefheart
04-02-2007, 10:42 PM
O, you misunderstood me. I love The Long and Winding Road too. I just think The End is a better sendoff.

Bebemanger
04-02-2007, 10:47 PM
What I meant was as an individual track, the Long and Winding Road is better, but I agree, The End was the perfect ending.

Sloopy
04-02-2007, 10:52 PM
^ Such a shame that Let It Be was released AFTER Abbey.

Bebemanger
04-02-2007, 10:59 PM
I meant ending to the album

Sloopy
04-02-2007, 11:02 PM
I meant ending to the album

Yeah, but The End was supposed to be the last song on the last record by The Beatles.

-=Led_Hed=-
04-03-2007, 02:27 AM
I'd get rid of Yoko, she sings like a dying animal only because they wouldn't be the same if one of the 4 weren't there, The Ballad of... did come out of it though and thats a good song but man she was (and still is) uuuuugly, thought a man like Lennon could at least get a good looking japanese woman, tsk tsk

PS. I love Yoko Ono

radio_schizo
04-03-2007, 06:00 AM
For me, the last 3 tracks of Abbey Road (minus Her Majesty) are the climax of their entire career. You see the beauty of their songwriting in Golden Slumbers as well as the vocal capabilities of John and Paul, more so Paul; Carry that weight picks right up from where the previous track left off and builds the drive which carries into The End (I also love the little backtracking of the trumpets from you never give me your money); and of course The End finishes off with their most meaningful lyric. It's so fun to just listen to these tracks over and over again, gives me goosebumps every time.
Personally I don't really get the whole medley on the second half of the album. It just all seems a bit too frantic in my opinion. I guess it's an interesting concept - but I always find myself wishing 'Mean Mr Mustard', 'Polythene Pam' and 'The End' were longer. There's so much potential in those songs...especially the first two. 'The End' has such great parts but just sort of looses it near the ending.

There are alot of aspects of the second half of the album I think are pretty weak. i.e.

'Carry That weight' is just cheesy and 'Golden Slumbers' is just way too soppy for my liking. (typical Macca)

'She came in through the Bathroom Window' is great though. Great backing vocals.

I actually like 'Her Majesty' and think it's a nice ending to the album. It's a bit too predictable finishing on a huge climax, especially if the song's called 'The End' - so finishing on a nice whimsy song like 'Her Majesty' is cool.

But overall as much as I like the album, it's no way fit enough to be labelled flawless. I might cut my own version of the album (blasphamy!) :p:but songs like 'Golden Slumber' and 'Oh! darling' I can't listen too without skipping.

jac_murphy
04-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Personally I don't really get the whole medley on the second half of the album. It just all seems a bit too frantic in my opinion. I guess it's an interesting concept - but I always find myself wishing 'Mean Mr Mustard', 'Polythene Pam' and 'The End' were longer. There's so much potential in those songs...especially the first two. 'The End' has such great parts but just sort of looses it near the ending.

I agree; I've never been a fan of albums with lots of songs in rapid succession. On the whole, though, (to answer Sloopy's question from earlier) I think it's a great album. One of my tops after Let It Be.

-Jacques

bluemoon05
04-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Has anyone found this Sgt. Pepper thread yet, it sounds intresting.

Sloopy
04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Has anyone found this Sgt. Pepper thread yet, it sounds intresting.

I think its called. Sgt Pepper, is it really that good?

It's probably on page three or four now.

Cptbeefheart
04-04-2007, 08:44 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550574&page=1&pp=40

There is the thread, can't find the rant.

PatchworkMan
04-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Honestly, Sgt. Pepper is one of my least favorite Beatles albums. Technologically, it was very innovative, but its songs are pretty forgettable in comparison to much of the Beatles' repertoire. I think history will remember Revovler and Rubber Soul as works far more important to the musical evolution of rock.

Cptbeefheart
04-04-2007, 09:28 PM
I agree with you on some points. I think that it did a ton for the way music was recorded like you said. But I also think that it has some classic tracks on it.

But in the end, I do think Revolver and Rubber Soul have consistently better tracks and are overall, better albums.

Bebemanger
04-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Revolver yes, not so much Rubber Soul though. For me it was a little dry. Don't get me wrong, still a great album, but IMO, Sgt. Peppers delved way deeper, and the end result sets well with me. I don't listen to Rubber Soul as an album as I do Sgt. Peppers or Revolver.

distilledspirit
04-04-2007, 10:41 PM
I gotta say my favorite album is the White Album. It's the most diverse album, containing many different styles and stuff. I'd still rather listen to Beatles songs as a huge playlist. It depends which song I'd like to hear at a given time.

bluemoon05
04-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I think its called. Sgt Pepper, is it really that good?

It's probably on page three or four now.
I can see you don't like Sgt. Pepper then, anything particularly against it, A Day In The Life is their best song(of what I've listened to so far) IMO

Sloopy
04-05-2007, 08:59 PM
I can see you don't like Sgt. Pepper then, anything particularly against it, A Day In The Life is their best song(of what I've listened to so far) IMO

I don't believe in "best songs" because in three weeks time you'll have a new "best song."

Tsunoyukami
04-05-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't believe in "best songs" because in three weeks time you'll have a new "best song."

I agree, I don't believe in best songs either.

Also, my favourite album is probably The White Album, or possibly Abbey Road, but they've got so much amazing music that I can't really decide.

Some of my 'favourites' are:
-Elanor Rigby
-Blackbird
-Dear Prudence
-For No One
-I Want You (She's So Heavy)
-Norwegian Wood
-Julia

Sloopy
04-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I agree, I don't believe in best songs either.

Also, my favourite album is probably The White Album, or possibly Abbey Road, but they've got so much amazing music that I can't really decide.

Some of my 'favourites' are:
-Elanor Rigby
-Blackbird
-Dear Prudence
-For No One
-I Want You (She's So Heavy)
-Norwegian Wood
-Julia

She's So Heavy is SO overlooked! It really is possibly the best Beatle blues out there.

bluemoon05
04-06-2007, 06:48 AM
Ahh I've changed my mind already, my temporary favourite song is For No One

Wes Wilton
04-06-2007, 07:14 AM
I Think That Without The Beatles Music Wouldn't be Music and My Favourite Song is Can't Buy Me Love-I Play it with my band and it kicks ass! All my friends who think the Beatles are rubbish said "What was that and who was it by?"- They were Shocked When I said The Beatles.

svanzon
04-06-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm slightly new to the Beatles (apart from the really obvious classics...). But I really like the song "come together"... Any other songs/albums that you suggest that I listen to that are similar in sound?

Sloopy
04-06-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm slightly new to the Beatles (apart from the really obvious classics...). But I really like the song "come together"... Any other songs/albums that you suggest that I listen to that are similar in sound?

Buy the Abbey Road album man. It's got tons of songs that sound like Come Together.

john_lennon
04-06-2007, 04:15 PM
just out of interest,

i was learning "across the universe" today when i realised that the version on "Let it be.....naked" is half a step higher than the original.

I'm glad they brought out let it be...naked, because i thought the original let it be, although it had some good songs, was very badly produced. (namely because of the abscence of george martin)

the original let it be is very annoying to listen to.

Lost_Rose
04-06-2007, 07:40 PM
You heard of several bands recreating the whole Sgt Pepper album?

Well its true and guess whos there as well Oasis! Well now they probably will believe they actually are the beatles!

Others included Travis, Fratellis, James Morrison, Kaiser chiefs and more

crazynickman
04-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Buy the Abbey Road album man. It's got tons of songs that sound like Come Together.
I agree, Abbey Road is godly. MY favorite album, especially the Medley.

And the White Album of course, is second. A lot of the songs seem to go together- I never listen to Happiness is a Warm Gun without listening to Martha My Dear and then I'm So Tired. I do prefer post-Rubber Soul Beatles, but I love all their stuff.

belavista man
04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
It shames me to say that I only have Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band. Even though I only have the one album, I still love it, especially A Day In The Life.

bluemoon05
04-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Anyone fancing joining the Beatles cover contest

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558381

lp345
04-07-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm pretty new to The Beatles, ive ignored them for most of my life. Ive heard most of the classics like Hey Jude etc. etc., but I dont own any albums. I was thinking of buying Revolver as it seems to be hailed as their masterpiece. Is this the album I should get first?

radio_schizo
04-07-2007, 01:27 PM
^Yeah, get it!

john_lennon
04-08-2007, 05:05 PM
it reallly depends, most of the albums have different characteristics.
In revolver they still tend to play play more as a band
whereas something like pepper has lots of orchestra overdubs.
however, abbey rd is probably the best master piece in terms of songwriting

Sparkus
04-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Well Revolver really launched the real artistic side of what the Beatles can do, because that was the start of their studio recording after they decided to stop touring. It stands as one of my favorite albums from the boys.

The Beatles made me want to play music and were the very first band I fell in love with, so they hold a very special place in my heart. Today on BBC America they had a documentary on the Beatles dirty secrets. Wondering if anyone saw it. To say the least it was very interesting...

walkinbazooka
04-08-2007, 08:34 PM
My favourite is definitely Beatles for Sale.

I just love every song on that album!

fisical_grafiti
04-08-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm pretty new to The Beatles, ive ignored them for most of my life. Ive heard most of the classics like Hey Jude etc. etc., but I dont own any albums. I was thinking of buying Revolver as it seems to be hailed as their masterpiece. Is this the album I should get first?

I'd say that you should get Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. It's an album you can listen all the way through, over and over without it getting boring. It's also fun to listen to with a little "inspiration" ;)

walkinbazooka
04-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I'd get Beatles for Sale.
It's legen- wait for it -daryyyy.

therussian
04-08-2007, 09:44 PM
My favourite is definitely Beatles for Sale.

I just love every song on that album!
Poppy piece of beatlecrap. Which is million times better than regular crap, but still

Sorry, I just don't like the earlier Beatles stuff. Some of it's good, but I don't like it.

radio_schizo
04-09-2007, 08:23 AM
In revolver they still tend to play play more as a band

Yeah, the only problem with their albums from the White Album onwards they weren't as together as a band. You can really tell by listening to the music.

Also after Sgt Peppers, they no longer were as unique as they were when they first started, so alot of the songs whilst amazing weren't as groundbreaking as their early material - bands were starting to catch up with them.

walkinbazooka
04-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Poppy piece of beatlecrap. Which is million times better than regular crap, but still

Sorry, I just don't like the earlier Beatles stuff. Some of it's good, but I don't like it.
Stop iiiit! :cry:

therussian
04-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Stop iiiit! :cry:
Hey, I'm not telling you to stop liking their earlier stuff, I'm just saying that I'm not a fan of it. :peace:

MOOSE_CCR99
04-09-2007, 02:46 PM
im pumped, im going to see a Beatles tribute band soon, note for note, cut for cut of Abbey road!!!!

Sloopy
04-09-2007, 06:37 PM
^ Is it Rain the Beatles Experience? I saw them, it was amazing!

MOOSE_CCR99
04-09-2007, 08:21 PM
i dunno, could be, probly is.

walkinbazooka
04-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey, I'm not telling you to stop liking their earlier stuff, I'm just saying that I'm not a fan of it. :peace:
Haha OK.
I enjoy a good deal of today's pop music so it's no surprise that 60s pop gets me so excited.

pumpkins_rule
04-09-2007, 08:50 PM
I'd say that you should get Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. It's an album you can listen all the way through, over and over without it getting boring. It's also fun to listen to with a little "inspiration" ;)

I love that album, but I'd rather gouge my ears out then listen to When I'm 64.

Sloopy
04-09-2007, 09:36 PM

It's Fixing a Hole that does me in. It's so ANNOYING!

Blues Breaker
04-09-2007, 10:36 PM

ha ha ha ha :D

Whats so bad about When I'm 64 :confused:

jac_murphy
04-09-2007, 11:33 PM

Somebody just doesn't like clarinets. :D

-Jacques

farcry
04-10-2007, 02:03 PM
this thread is so small, I love the beatles. I watched yellow submarine for the first time yesterday and loved it. Does anyone know if the beatles sold more albums than led zeppelin did?

crazynickman
04-10-2007, 03:39 PM
this thread is so small, I love the beatles. I watched yellow submarine for the first time yesterday and loved it. Does anyone know if the beatles sold more albums than led zeppelin did?
Most likely...the Beatles are untouchable.

:haha Music hall h8r? What are your feelings on "Honey Pie?"

MOOSE_CCR99
04-10-2007, 03:51 PM
its not rain the beatles experience im going to see :(, i checked thier site and just from the pics tht looks like a insane show. I have to agree, i dont like fixing a hole either, to be honest thats my least favorite album :S (that I've heard).

highway62
04-10-2007, 03:53 PM
you cant be overrated if you're the best

MaltedMilk
04-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Does anyone know if the beatles sold more albums than led zeppelin did?Yeah, they definately sold farrr more then Led Zep.

mr moustache
04-10-2007, 04:24 PM
^probably
but i would suggest either revolver or sgt peppers as a first beatles album. sgt peppers was the first album i ever owned, and i still LOVE to listen to it. when i tried to import it to itunes a few years ago, it was so scratched it wouldnt import, because i had played it so many times.

there is one thing i do not understand about the beatles...hey jude. i HATE that song. its just so awful, i dont know why everyone else likes it so much.

crazynickman
04-10-2007, 04:25 PM
there is one thing i do not understand about the beatles...hey jude. i HATE that song. its just so awful, i dont know why everyone else likes it so much.
Oh dear.

Oh my.

I love that song. What about it makes you not like it? That bridge is so dern catchy.

therussian
04-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Hey Jude and Let it Be are great songs. But they are far, far, far overrated.

mr moustache
04-10-2007, 05:00 PM
i love let it be though. that is a beautiful song.

about hey jude, i have no idea why i hate it so much. i mean, its just so repetitive and boring. its kind of bizarre, seeing as i love almost everythiing else the beatles did.

tomisamonkeyman
04-10-2007, 09:08 PM
The Beatles have a ton of really good underated songs though. They have songs that are so good like Happiness is a Warm Gun and I Am The Walrus, those songs are just great but no one ever really hears them.

walkinbazooka
04-10-2007, 09:14 PM
I don't like Hey Jude at all.
Songs that are sooo repetitively happy do not do it for me.

MOOSE_CCR99
04-10-2007, 10:03 PM
The Beatles have a ton of really good underated songs though. They have songs that are so good like Happiness is a Warm Gun and I Am The Walrus, those songs are just great but no one ever really hears them.

so true, happiness is a warm gun is one of my faves from the white album.

lp345
04-10-2007, 10:18 PM
I really like Love Me Do at the moment.....so bloody catchy

bluemoon05
04-12-2007, 05:06 PM
I think their earlier stuff is underrated by most Beatles fans, it is quality. Their later stuff is obviosuly better though.

Sloopy
04-12-2007, 10:28 PM
^ There is no better era. It's been debated 4598536971326564125509697 times on UG. It's all personal choice and the mood you're in.

TDMize15
04-12-2007, 10:32 PM
The early stuff is more catchy and more fun to sing along to IMO...the later stuff is more technically difficult. So like you said, it just depends on my mood. But of course the songwriting and singing is always great.

Sloopy
04-12-2007, 11:28 PM
^ The singing and songwriting never detriorated. Just great music from start to finish. That's why their breakup was bittersweet. They just knew that enough was enough and it was time to get on with their lives.

TDMize15
04-12-2007, 11:41 PM
As I've heard them say...if they would have stayed together it would have just been their music they made solo. It was time for them to go their separate ways...and that way we have 4 albums out instead of just one :)

crazynickman
04-13-2007, 04:46 PM
I totally agree that the "later" era (I characterize that as "Sgt Pepper" and beyond) were best. For me though, it's basically a dead heat contest between the "White Album" and "Abbey Road" (I have yet to hear all of "Let it Be").
They're actually pretty different- "The White Album" sort of has little snippets of songs ("I'm So Tired" and "Everybody's Got Something to Hide etc" should've both been at least 2 minutes longer, they're so good), and "Abbey Road" has more...I hate to use pop songs, but "single-material," and that medley can't be heard without one song missing.

sinan90
04-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Which version of George's solo in Let it Be do people prefer? I think the album version's solo is alot harsher and makes the song more gritty, while the single's solo is a lot more melodic and is like the tune without being the same. Then there's the understated solo in the Let it Be film. Man I wish I could make solos like old Georgey boy.

Sloopy
04-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Which version of George's solo in Let it Be do people prefer? I think the album version's solo is alot harsher and makes the song more gritty, while the single's solo is a lot more melodic and is like the tune without being the same. Then there's the understated solo in the Let it Be film. Man I wish I could make solos like old Georgey boy.
I like the studio version the best. Can't really explain why.

highway62
04-13-2007, 08:50 PM
im just wondering cause i consider bob dylan to be as influential as the beatles, why he doesnt have a thread?

Sloopy
04-13-2007, 10:52 PM
^ He does. Use the search button. One was made like a week ago.

highway62
04-13-2007, 10:55 PM
i did sir and i couldnt find the location of it

Sloopy
04-13-2007, 10:56 PM
It's there. For sure. Look like on page 3 and go from there.

theshins003
04-14-2007, 07:42 PM
f that the beatles are and always will b the greatest band in the world my favorite is Revolver

theshins003
04-14-2007, 07:44 PM
naw scratch that.......Abbey Road

theshins003
04-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Mean Mr. Mustard sleeps in the park
shaves in the dark trying to save paper!...

walkinbazooka
04-14-2007, 08:25 PM
I totally agree that the "later" era (I characterize that as "Sgt Pepper" and beyond) were best. For me though, it's basically a dead heat contest between the "White Album" and "Abbey Road" (I have yet to hear all of "Let it Be").
They're actually pretty different- "The White Album" sort of has little snippets of songs ("I'm So Tired" and "Everybody's Got Something to Hide etc" should've both been at least 2 minutes longer, they're so good), and "Abbey Road" has more...I hate to use pop songs, but "single-material," and that medley can't be heard without one song missing.
I would count the later era as starting at Revolver mainly because it marked their stopping touring and they started to 'experiment' electronically in that album.

Edit: ^Next time use the edit button to change your original post rather than triple post, mate.

Sloopy
04-14-2007, 08:51 PM
I would count the later era as starting at Revolver mainly because it marked their stopping touring and they started to 'experiment' electronically in that album.

Edit: ^Next time use the edit button to change your original post rather than triple post, mate.

I think that Sgt. Pepper is the crossover. Revolver just got the ball rolling.

highway62
04-14-2007, 08:52 PM
f that the beatles are and always will b the greatest band in the world my favorite is Revolver

yay i agree that the beatles are the greatest BAND ever but bob dylan is the greatest solo artist.

Sloopy
04-14-2007, 08:55 PM
^ There is no greatest band ever or greatest solo artist.

bluemoon05
04-16-2007, 10:15 AM
^ There is no greatest band ever or greatest solo artist.

true people should say favourites as opposed to greatest.

Started listening to the white album Dear Prudence is amazing.

sinan90
04-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Started listening to the white album Dear Prudence is amazing.
I have to agree with that, and I just love that finger picking pattern that Lennon uses on it and a couple of other tracks as well, Julia is one and I think there are a few others. And am I the only person who calls it their self-titled album and not teh White Album? :(

Cptbeefheart
04-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Well you are more technically correct than we are, since that is the true title of the album.

Sloopy
04-16-2007, 07:40 PM
^ Yeah. But 95% of the Beatles fans call it The White Album. Whatever floats yer boat though.

sinan90
04-17-2007, 01:34 PM
^ Yeah. But 95% of the Beatles fans call it The White Album. Whatever floats yer boat though.

A lot of my friends who are Beatles fans as well don't have a clue what album I'm on about, nearly everyone only knows it as the White Album.

TDMize15
04-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Does anyone besides me actually like Ringo Starr??

I like the other 3 better, but I actually enjoy some Ringo songs every now and then.

Cptbeefheart
04-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Almost everyone likes Ringo, just not as much as the other three.

TDMize15
04-17-2007, 01:48 PM
I don't know. I hear so many people say that they can't stand his voice. He had limited range yet I think he had a very pleasant voice.

With a little Help From My Friends is a great song.

I like Yellow Submarine, and It Don't Come Easy and Photograph are great from his solo career.

sinan90
04-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Ringo was the most popular Beatle during the first American invasion and had lots of fans, as shown in A Hard Day's Night when he gets the most fan mail.

Sgt_Pepper27
04-17-2007, 06:56 PM

I like the other 3 better, but I actually enjoy some Ringo songs every now and then.

I love his vocals on 'Boys'.
Song is epic :D

Sloopy
04-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Almost everyone likes Ringo, just not as much as the other three.
I don't. Haha remember Sgt. Pepper thread. Adaytripper has it in his sig I believe.

Cptbeefheart
04-17-2007, 08:27 PM
I recall, I recall it vividly in fact. That little rant was the reason I included almost in my sentence. :D

bluemoon05
04-18-2007, 03:38 AM
I don't know. I hear so many people say that they can't stand his voice. He had limited range yet I think he had a very pleasant voice.

With a little Help From My Friends is a great song.

I like Yellow Submarine, and It Don't Come Easy and Photograph are great from his solo career.

I like a little help from my friends its a pleasant song.

highway62
04-18-2007, 07:40 AM
haha one time a reporter asked john if ringo was the greatest drumer in the world then john goes

"hes not even the greatest drummer in the beatles"

haha

radio_schizo
04-18-2007, 09:43 AM

Octupus' Garden is my favourite song of his. I seriously love that song!

bluemoon05
04-18-2007, 11:42 AM

Ye that's a great song.

therussian
04-18-2007, 03:12 PM
haha one time a reporter asked john if ringo was the greatest drumer in the world then john goes

"hes not even the greatest drummer in the beatles"

haha
He said that after Ringo left the band temporarily after a huge fight they had while recording. It was said out of malice.

Later in some interview (I can't remember which, I think the Playboy one) he called Ringo one of the best drummers ever.

sinan90
04-18-2007, 03:49 PM
And George Harrison actually wrote most of the music for it. If you watch the Let it Be film you can see George helping Ringo with it.

MOOSE_CCR99
04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
i like ringo but george is my fave Beatle for sure.

GnikNus
04-18-2007, 06:44 PM
amazing band. i can't choose between their albums, all of them are brilliant. my favorite beatle would have to be john.

Sloopy
04-18-2007, 06:47 PM
He said that after Ringo left the band temporarily after a huge fight they had while recording. It was said out of malice.

Later in some interview (I can't remember which, I think the Playboy one) he called Ringo one of the best drummers ever.

Yeah. Paul played drums on a few tracks. The Ballad of John and Yoko is probably the most well known.

Sgt_Pepper27
04-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Paul is perhaps my favourite Beatle. Just his musicianship is outstanding. One of the best composers of our generation.

Yeah. Paul played drums on a few tracks. The Ballad of John and Yoko is probably the most well known.

He played drums because only John and Paul showed up to a Beatle jam/recording session so he had to hit the kit . . . if i remember correctly.
I think he also played on Back in the U.S.S.R.

therussian
04-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Dear Prudence also

Sgt_Pepper27
04-18-2007, 08:56 PM
^ Also considered one of Paul's best basslines :)

Sloopy
04-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Paul is perhaps my favourite Beatle. Just his musicianship is outstanding. One of the best composers of our generation.

He played drums because only John and Paul showed up to a Beatle jam/recording session so he had to hit the kit . . . if i remember correctly.
I think he also played on Back in the U.S.S.R.

Back in the USSR is one my White Album highlights.

Antroid
04-22-2007, 02:58 PM
I love teh Beatles, its hard picking a faveourite song because wheneve I think of one I think of another one and then another one!

I really like Golden Slumbers, Sgt. Pepper, Within You and Without You, Love You To, Everyones Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey - The list could go on but I'de robably end up naming every song from Ruber Soul onwards lol.

sinan90
04-22-2007, 04:47 PM
This has probably been covered in the thread already, but what did people think of Love? I thought some of the songs were great like While My Guitar Gently Weeps but in some parts it has two songs in different keys on top of each other, and some of the mixing of the tracks is laughable, there never seems to be a smooth transition.

therussian
04-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Within you Without you/ Tomorrow Never Knows was pretty good, but I agree that While My Guitar was amazingly good.

There are some that sound exactly like the originals though...

mercedesisbenz
04-22-2007, 06:25 PM
I hated love. I've listened to it a few times, but I just can't find any reason to stray from the originals.

Cptbeefheart
04-22-2007, 08:02 PM
^ I didn't hate it. But after hearing it a few times, I just wanted my old Beatles tracks back.

Sloopy
04-22-2007, 08:11 PM
^ Meh. I was indifferent. The novelty wore off after a few listens.

MaltedMilk
04-23-2007, 05:50 AM
^ I didn't hate it. But after hearing it a few times, I just wanted my old Beatles tracks back.Innit, you can't mess with perfection. Part of the genius of the origionals was the song structure, and the 'remixes' obviusly lose that.
Having said that I think they did a good job for what they are trying to do, and looking at how well Love, has sold, it will encourage a bunch of people who have never really encountered it to seek out Beatles music

Sgt_Pepper27
04-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Has anyone actually seen 'LOVE'?

MaltedMilk
04-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Nup, I saw 'Drallion', (their previus show) and it was pretty awesome. No one can actually afford to go and see Love though lol.

Sgt_Pepper27
04-23-2007, 08:17 PM
^ Oh really :D

If it came down here i wouldnt mind checking it out at an affordable price.

Does anyone know anything about McCartney touring? anything.

Sloopy
04-23-2007, 09:24 PM
^ I think he's working on a Chaos follow up. I think he's touring in 08 though...

Sgt_Pepper27
04-23-2007, 09:44 PM
^ '08 you say. I think im going to have to take your word for it. Put a lil' hope in my day. However, if it isnt true. I will find you..:D

hattori DONso
04-24-2007, 07:11 PM
First of let me just say that I love the Beatles! And now some comments:

I saw LOVE in the first few weeks of its opening. Pun intended, I loved it, of course the originals will always be the best, but its a nice diversion and foray without disrespecting their legacy at all. The quality of the sound was amazing, speakers everywhere, in front of you, behind you, next to you, literally everywhere. The remastering really made it seem like they were right there in the room with you. Oh and the acrobatics were alright, :D . Seriously though, top notch show, if your in Vegas, definitely take the time to check it out.

And if your ever in New York, New Jersey and sometimes Los Angeles. I would be on the lookout for the Fab Faux (Will Lee, Jimmy Vivino, Frank Agnello, Jack Petruzzelli and Rich Pagano: All working musicians, they do this on the side) . They are technically a cover band, but I don't want to say that because some people seem to disrespect that term and even the practice, but I akin it to the L.A. Philharmonic performing Beethoven or Mozart. They do an amazing show, with absolute respect for the music and how its meant to sound, without going down the route of having to put on the mop tops, etc. Just pro musicians doing the music justice. I just recently saw them perform The White Album, exactly as the it is on the discs/LP's, down to all the "filler" as some have termed it on this thread. Unbelievably amazing. If you guys ever get the chance, check them out because these guys do it for the love (They even perform REVOLUTION NO. 9, something that was never meant to be performed live and no you can't push fast forward or skip) and it shows, and they don't charge that much, maybe 30 bucks at the most.

Cptbeefheart
04-24-2007, 09:04 PM
^ Yes, I have read like five articles on the Fab Faux. I would kill to see them.

Sloopy
04-24-2007, 10:26 PM
^ '08 you say. I think im going to have to take your word for it. Put a lil' hope in my day. However, if it isnt true. I will find you..:D

So when you find me? What exactly will you do...

I saw Rain The Beatles Experience a couple years ago, great tribute act. Look them up on YouTube.

Sgt_Pepper27
04-24-2007, 11:22 PM
^ Haven't really thought about it. Perhaps listen to some Beatle records?

Sloopy
04-24-2007, 11:59 PM
^ Nice. Let's spin Let It Be first, that's my favourite. We can play your next of course.

Or if you're feeling really adventurous, we can play our favourites at the same time :p:

Sgt_Pepper27
04-25-2007, 12:06 AM
^ :D you're a witty one Sloopy!

My favourite is The White Album, i'd be glad to spin that.

Supreme WarHawk
04-25-2007, 01:39 AM
I went to that Beatles Museum thing in Liverpool a couple weeks ago while I was visiting family in Manchester. its pretty gooood. and great shop there too.

bluemoon05
04-25-2007, 10:42 AM
I was nearly forced to go to the museum when I didn't like the Beatles but it didn't happen, I wish I had now.

Sloopy
04-25-2007, 06:46 PM
^ :D you're a witty one Sloopy!

My favourite is The White Album, i'd be glad to spin that.

Yeah I'm pretty well known as being the witty one around here.

Side one or side two?

Oh and check out my user title, that's all thanks to you Sgt.

MaltedMilk
04-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Side One all the way! (or one and two if you remember that it is a double album so has four sides.)

Sloopy
04-26-2007, 06:52 PM
^ Yeah. But I was putting into CD language. My favourite is probably either side one or side three, in LP language.

Cptbeefheart
04-26-2007, 08:16 PM
In CD language, side one for sure. LP language is much tougher. I think I'd have to go with side three. Yer Blues, EBGSTHEFMAMM, Sexy Sadie, Birthday, and Helter Skelter all on the same side is too awesome not to pick.

Sgt_Pepper27
04-27-2007, 04:25 AM
Yeah I'm pretty well known as being the witty one around here.

Side one or side two?

Oh and check out my user title, that's all thanks to you Sgt.

Your Welcome Sloopy.

Side One (CD langauge) is my favourite. My favourites are prefered taste; Martha My Dear and Why Don't We Do It In The Road. Something about those songs just entice me. Can't explain! :p:

MaltedMilk
04-27-2007, 10:39 AM
^Aparrently, John Lennon always said that Why Don't We Do It In The Road is Pauls best vocal performance.

tomisamonkeyman
04-27-2007, 03:24 PM
^Aparrently, John Lennon always said that Why Don't We Do It In The Road is Pauls best vocal performance.

i would agree, i also like his singing on Back in the USSR and Day Tripper, John and Paul both sing great on Day Tripper.

Cptbeefheart
04-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Helter Skelter or his new version of Lady Madonna with the piano are his two best performances for me.

tomisamonkeyman
04-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Helter Skelter or his new version of Lady Madonna with the piano are his two best performances for me.

true, i forgot about Lady Madonna

therussian
04-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Nah, his best vocals were definitely on Oh! Darling.

Cptbeefheart
04-27-2007, 05:16 PM
^Yeah, I forgot that one. Awesome, awesome song. One of his best vocal performances for sure.

Sloopy
04-27-2007, 07:26 PM
^ I don't like when Paul's voice goes raspy. That last verse in Maybe I'm Amazed is almost un listenable to me.

I like his earlier performances (1964 - 66) and on Honey Pie.

Bebemanger
04-27-2007, 10:13 PM
For me, the vocals on Golden Slumbers are beautiful, is it Paul on the verse and John on the chorus? That's what it sounds like to me.

Sloopy
04-27-2007, 10:20 PM
^ No its Paul all the way through.

Sgt_Pepper27
04-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I think one of Paul's sweetest (sweetest as in atmosphere) vocals is Here There and Everywhere; testament to his writing skills.

Sloopy
04-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I think one of Paul's sweetest (sweetest as in atmosphere) vocals is Here There and Everywhere; testament to his writing skills.

Yeah that song is really serene. I like to listen to it alot. I played it at my wedding, its a great song for that sort of thing.

paintITblack39
04-27-2007, 10:32 PM
It's hard for me to decided Paul's 'sweetest' songs. He was such a great singer, and I think the best from the Beatles.

Sgt_Pepper27
04-27-2007, 10:35 PM
^ Yeah me too. Thats why i said 'one' of his... :) we could go on for as long as The Stones have been touring naming all of his Sweetest Songs.

Who else loves their cover of 'You Really Got A Hold On Me'? It's on seldom repeat. Its just epic.

therussian
04-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Anyone else really like Think for Yourself from Rubber Soul? Such a great album. It sure isn't Revolver or the White Album, but damn is it good

And has some awesome cover art.

Bebemanger
04-27-2007, 10:54 PM
^^ It's one of the better tracks, but the album is flat for me, it was a segway into Revolver in my mind.

Cptbeefheart
04-27-2007, 11:43 PM
^O I don't think its a segue to Revolver at all. It has its own excellent songs and charm. How could you deny Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, Drive My Car, and You Won't See Me. I don't think its better than Revolver, but it is nothing less than a great album.

Sloopy
04-28-2007, 01:20 AM
^ My favourite tracks are probably The Word, Norweigan Wood, and maybe Drive My Car. Great record in the Beatles catalog.

Sgt_Pepper27
04-28-2007, 01:23 AM
My favourite track, (possibly in the running for my all time favourite song), is In My Life.
The melody, the lyrics, just a great Lennon/McCartney collaboration.

MaltedMilk
04-28-2007, 06:08 AM
Who else loves their cover of 'You Really Got A Hold On Me'? It's on seldom repeat. Its just epic.What, from the Beeb Sessions? Or is it on an album?
The BBC version has some great singing from Paul.

Sgt_Pepper27
04-28-2007, 06:41 AM
^ It's on the 'With the Beatles' record. And yes, the Record version. :)

gibson freak
04-28-2007, 06:49 AM
the beatles are legandary and allways will be

logan141
04-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Does any one here know what is yelled at 4 min 31 sec. in the song I want you (shes so heavy). Its off mic and in the backround, its rigth after john nearly screams his lungs out yelling YEAHHHHHHHH! You have to have the volume pretty loud to hear it, and u have to concentrate hard on the left speaker.

Sloopy
04-28-2007, 07:43 PM
^ I've never been able to figure that one out. Same boat as you.

bluemoon05
04-28-2007, 07:53 PM
On a day in the life in terms of singing parts does it go John Paul John or Paul John Paul? or something different I find it difficult distinguishing between their voices but I think this ones John for the first couple of verses, it's absolutely beautiful anyway.

Sgt_Pepper27
04-28-2007, 08:28 PM
^ John Paul John

Paul has the part where it starts after that ascending orchestra part with "Wake up, got out of bed..."
The rest is John. :) & yes, its beautiful.

Sloopy
04-29-2007, 01:45 AM
^ John Paul John

Paul has the part where it starts after that ascending orchestra part with "Wake up, got out of bed..."
The rest is John. :) & yes, its beautiful.

I like playing that song for casual Beatles fans. Like that cool repeated phrase that comes 35 seconds after the final chord. Gets 'em everytime.

bluemoon05
04-29-2007, 06:04 AM
I like playing that song for casual Beatles fans. Like that cool repeated phrase that comes 35 seconds after the final chord. Gets 'em everytime.

Am I right in thinking that's something played backwards?

MaltedMilk
04-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah, whasn't that to make you think your record was slipping?

therussian
04-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Has anyone heard Jeff Beck's cover of Day in the Life? It's on George Martin's album "In My Life". Great song, I play it all the time.

Sloopy
04-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Has anyone heard Jeff Beck's cover of Day in the Life? It's on George Martin's album "In My Life". Great song, I play it all the time.

Yeah that's a neat track.

I think that message was a combination of record "slipping" and a Paul is Dead "clue."

I remember by brother playing that to me when I was ten and I was like AHHHHH!

Sgt_Pepper27
04-30-2007, 06:12 AM
Ahhh, the "Paul is Dead" theories. How amusing :D

They came up with great theories though.

MaltedMilk
05-01-2007, 09:05 AM
^Yeah, what started those conspiricies?

Bebemanger
05-02-2007, 12:41 AM
^Yeah, what started those conspiricies?

Acid, that's my best guess though, it's all way before my time. i think I can confidently say acid was a big influence though, maybe not a catalyst. There are these videos on Youtube that go into the conspiracy pretty deep: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=iamaphoney&p=r

Even if you don't believe, they're still fun to watch.

SpiderFromMars
05-02-2007, 01:04 AM

Not as good as Sean Connery's. :p: