Guitars that "shred"

PDA

View Full Version : Guitars that "shred"

Dude121
01-19-2007, 03:34 PM
I have recently become very intersted in dream theater, and am currently learning the spirit caries on solo. Although I would say that its one of his easier solos, I am having a difficult time.

Anyways, I have a Epi Les Paul, and it was suggested that I get a shredding guitar, like an ibanez. However will this improve my actual playing at all, or will it just give me a more shredding tone?

batiosilver08
01-19-2007, 03:38 PM
I think it really all depends. I also have a Epi Les Paul, and I find it hard to really get into some hard shredding, a little hardier to bend and slide. I think people are right there are guitars more ment for shredding, but you have to ask yourself how good of a player are you? because if your good enough, it may not matter.

TheUltimateSin
01-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Shredding is in the player, not the guitar. Shredders play a on collage of guitars.

Dude121
01-19-2007, 03:44 PM
I think it really all depends. I also have a Epi Les Paul, and I find it hard to really get into some hard shredding, a little hardier to bend and slide. I think people are right there are guitars more ment for shredding, but you have to ask yourself how good of a player are you? because if your good enough, it may not matter.

im decent classical and non shredding. I am trying to get my speed up, but it seems I hit a wall at a relatively slow speed for a shredder. I am of course keeping at it, but I did wonder whether for whatever reason, a ibanez, or a musicman actually improve shredding technique

Also I have pretty low action on my guitar, so I dont think that is my problemo.

Saitoh
01-19-2007, 03:47 PM
With a "shredding" guitar it'll be a bit easier to play fast, bend and do long stretches with because the neck is thinner. But the difference isn't that big...most shredders can shred on les pauls and such too.

X_Op3th_X
01-19-2007, 03:48 PM
I think that Les Paul is really good for shreddin,but the most popular are Strato-style guitars...Vai,Satriani.Petrucci,Malmsteen...It might be like that,cause they got more treble whereas Les has more bass (which is so ****in awesome!!!)...Ibanez should do the trick for sure..! (RG Series are cool)

Dude121
01-19-2007, 03:49 PM
This is what I figured, I will keep at it then!

bluespunkmetal
01-21-2007, 01:27 AM
Try shreddin on a Gretsch !!

Kris_man
01-21-2007, 04:52 AM
Personally I much prefer my Ibanez for shredding, because I can reach all the way up to the 24th fret with ease, but gets tough after about the 17th on my strat.

sheumack111
01-21-2007, 04:57 AM
I love shredding on my 57 RI strat.... It has a neck on it like a tree.... As previously mentioned, "shredders use a collage of guitars"...

HumanitysDeath
01-21-2007, 04:59 AM
Uh.

I could be wrong.
But doesn't Buckethead shred on a Les Paul?
It's obviously a higher quality than an Epi, but still.

sheumack111
01-21-2007, 05:07 AM
Uh.

I could be wrong.

Your absolutly correct...... Zakk wylde does too... So did Al Di Meola

Kris_man
01-21-2007, 05:21 AM
But those three guys do most of their stuff around the lower frets, from what I've seen.

bluespunkmetal
01-21-2007, 05:32 AM
Actually.... it's pretty safe to say that "shred" guitars.........

Are guitars with......a lotta frets... ultra thin necks.... high output pickups...... and probably tremolo arms !!

Godly Moose
01-21-2007, 08:19 AM
But those three guys do most of their stuff around the lower frets, from what I've seen.

Don't know about Wylde, but Al Di, and Buckethead are pretty diverse when it comes to utilizing the whole fretboard.

CanCan
01-21-2007, 08:43 AM
The said shredding guitars are thinner necks, Floyd Roses and easy accessible frets. It's not impossible to shred on a Les Paul, it's just a bit harder.

Lost_Rose
01-21-2007, 12:23 PM
my other guitarist in my band finds it easier to shred on his Ibanez than my Les Paul for whatever reason im not sure because I cant shred for shite

TheUltimateSin
01-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Uh.

I could be wrong.

A Les Paul is a model, not a brand/company. :p:

Epiphone makes Les Pauls as well. Buckethead's are Gibsons though. ;)

Lost_Rose
01-21-2007, 12:41 PM
A Les Paul is a model, not a brand/company. :p:

Epiphone makes Les Pauls as well. Buckethead's are Gibsons though. ;)

Lol, Random fact Epiphone is actually the first company to ever make a Les Paul because it was their factory where Les Paul was making his model and experimenting with it

GibsonPuppeteer
01-21-2007, 12:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstrat

Lost_Rose
01-21-2007, 12:54 PM
that looks a sweet guitar

TinTin8
01-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Your absolutly correct...... Zakk wylde does too... So did Al Di Meola
bucketheads lp is customized though, he probably has an altered neck.

HammerForce
01-21-2007, 02:02 PM
To be honest I can 'shred'equally well on my mates les Paul and my 2 Ibanez guitars, the only difference I find is that it's harder to play above about fret 18 on the les paul, I also find sweeps up at the 22nd fret almost impossible on it as the body is so this it feelss like I'mplaying with a tree trunk....

bluespunkmetal
01-22-2007, 05:34 AM
^That's it ......

Cuz many shredders like to play up the neck.... some even have V guitars with 34 frets !!

sock_demon
01-22-2007, 11:36 AM
IMO, guitar is for looks and the little gadgets that come with it, nothing else. You could hand me a hello Kitty Guitar and I'd do the same way with it as I would if it was an Ibanez

xxdarrenxx
01-22-2007, 01:00 PM
damn it; Al Di Meola shreds on a acoustic guitar withouth distortion, twice thicker strings, and for sure a much bigger neck.

If you have enough experience with shredding; the answer wil come to you as soon as you grab a guitar and play it.

people who have experience get it, people who haven't need to play more and talk less.

sheumack111
01-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Actually.... it's pretty safe to say that "shred" guitars.........

Are guitars with......a lotta frets... ultra thin necks.... high output pickups...... and probably tremolo arms !!

And then theres Malmsteens strat.....

21 frets
Fat strat neck
Low output pickups
Standard strat tremelo

Kris_man
01-23-2007, 03:45 AM
I'd like to see Malmsteen do a Vai style up-pull on his strat. lol.

bluespunkmetal
01-23-2007, 05:23 AM
^ He can't....

sheumack111
01-23-2007, 05:52 AM
I'd like to see Malmsteen do a Vai style up-pull on his strat. lol.

Why??? Did u see Malmsteen in Sydney on Nov 15th???

Kris_man
01-23-2007, 06:49 AM
I did actually...

bucky_2300
01-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Right now I play a Les Paul, and I can play some quasi-respectable shred licks on it. It definitely gets more difficult the farther up the neck I go, with it becoming nigh-impossible around fret 22.

The standard things like fast alternate picking licks are really no harder than on more shred-oriented guitars, because I'm so used to the neck, and have the guitar set up for really low action.

However, I'm buying an Ibanez JEM really soon because I'm wanting to have a guitar with 24 frets, really good fret access, higher-output pups, and a floating trem. If I didn't want to explore things like sweep arpeggios and whammy tricks more, I probably wouldn't be wanting this guitar.

sheumack111
01-25-2007, 08:22 PM
I did actually...

Did u enjoy it????

EZLN libertad
01-25-2007, 08:28 PM
shredders play a lot of guitars, but id suggest getting a shredder, because most guys i see shredding on gibsons and whatnot started on an ibanez or schecter or something

Kris_man
01-26-2007, 03:38 AM
Did u enjoy it????
The guitarring was great, although he butchered my favourite Malmsteen song Far Beyond the Sun by not playing the original chorus, and just improvising (ie, wanking) instead.

I got a bit bored, but I find most concerts, by their nature, a little boring.

What did you think?

sheumack111
01-26-2007, 10:40 PM
The guitarring was great, although he butchered my favourite Malmsteen song Far Beyond the Sun by not playing the original chorus, and just improvising (ie, wanking) instead.

I got a bit bored, but I find most concerts, by their nature, a little boring.

What did you think?

The thing about "Far Beyond the Sun" is that he has probably played it at every show since that album was released (so like 23 years ago), thats why he improvises, make it interesting himself.....

It was preety much the best concert ill ever see i think. The way in which he performs makes it soo much more entertaining for me.. Id much rather watch Yngwie charging around throwing guitars around his head then watch Petrucci stare at his guitar all night....

Yngwie was on fire aswell as the rest of his band. I was suprised when they played my personal fave "I am a viking". Also all the covers were great i thought, especially Gates of Babylon. Preety much the best nite of my life.... And to top it off i got one of the thousand pick's he threw out....