Band Problem

PDA

View Full Version : Band Problem

EirikFtw
01-20-2007, 11:04 AM
So yeah. I play in a Prog/death metal band, called yawron. we have done a couple of gigs, and are now proceding to record our first cd. :)

The problem is our Rythm guitarist.

The badn came together 2 years ago, nad at that time we were all pretty evenly skilled, but we have all been practising very hard, exept for the rythm guitartist. He can't really play the song for the new album. The most obvious solution here would be to kick him out of the band. But, we live in a very small town were the numbers of guitar players are highly limited. Not to metion guitar players that want to play metal. :(

Another problem is that he is really touchy. We were thinking I would have to lay down his rythm tracks, but he got really angry, and started yelling at everyone. :eek:

We have thought of the possibility of playing with only one guitar, but when we do so, and do some live recording, just to check it out, we lack the certain strenght that you get from two guitars. :(

Anyone have any tips on what we could do?

Doodleface
01-20-2007, 11:07 AM
i would go the sneaky way. look for a new guitarist without telling him. and when you find one, boot him.

EirikFtw
01-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Yeah, we have thought of that, and there is one in the next town. But the problem is that it's about 2 and a half hour drive away:(

sexyguitargod
01-20-2007, 11:11 AM
tell him he has to work harder!

FretboardToAsh
01-20-2007, 11:13 AM
give me his adress and i'll give you my bankaccountnumber,
car accidents are 40.000
su´cide 25.000
and helicopter accidents are 80.000 due to the rental being very expensive.
i've got a spot on februari the 16th so i hope that's okay with you.

oh and search for a new one in the meantime, if i have to do that it'll cost more depending on the hours of work and the quality of the person.

Bass Cat
01-20-2007, 11:20 AM
i'd boot his ass to the curb. but thats just me. who cares if you cant find a new rythym, what good is one that can't perform to your standards?

EirikFtw
01-20-2007, 11:26 AM
There are more complicantions... He's the drummer and the basists best friend.
Man how I hate that. We have talked with everyone that plays guitar in this town, who is under 40. And everyone of them plays punk, and can't really manage our riffing(no offence meant to those who play punk.). Like I said it's a small town. 6000 people or something.

And in response to sexygguitargod. We have told him that for the last year and a half. He just says, yeah.. i know, I have just started practising a lot!

GiantRaven
01-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Hmm, distort the Bass so it fills the place of rhythm guitar?

EirikFtw
01-20-2007, 11:43 AM
We have tried, but we really want that low-mid guitarsound with a bit of edge. You don't that out of the bass.

AdamDK
01-20-2007, 11:57 AM
I would just push him to the limit, and he'll end up putting time in to learn it. Our band's rhythm guitarist barely practics, and didn't use a metronome, so I kept pushing him, whenever he made a timing mistake, I'd make a remark about how if he used a metronome he'd be in time, and he got the point where he couldn't take the pressure. If he quit, we'd be able to easily get a enw guitarist or just have one, but he took the good path, and bought a metronome. Two weeks later, he was magically in time.

Just push your guitarist. Also, you could boot him, and when playing live, us recorded tracks of the rhythm.

EirikFtw
01-20-2007, 12:09 PM
I think I'll give that pushing stuff a go:) I know he does not want to be left out of playing, although he isn't as good as the rest of us. I think pushing him will lead him to a point where he has to decide wether to quit or practise.

Jearl
01-20-2007, 12:10 PM
if you decide to kick him out, you can just do the rhythm tracks and just record the leads over it until you find a guitarist who cares about the music and can actually play it

but you know, have a talk with him first. tell him that youre all serious about it and he needs to work a lot harder than he is. and if hes always getting angry like that, i dont think hes somebody youd want in your band down the line

EirikFtw
01-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I know, But finding another guitarist(that want's to play our music) in this town is like finding a needle in a haystack.

GiantRaven
01-20-2007, 12:37 PM
We have tried, but we really want that low-mid guitarsound with a bit of edge. You don't that out of the bass.
Er...Keyboards?

:p:

EirikFtw
01-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Yeah well, keybaords would be awesome to have in our band, either way. But there are very, very few musicians around:(

rexdime
01-20-2007, 12:57 PM
So yeah. I play in a Prog/death metal band, called yawron. we have done a couple of gigs, and are now proceding to record our first cd. :)

The problem is our Rythm guitarist.

The badn came together 2 years ago, nad at that time we were all pretty evenly skilled, but we have all been practising very hard, exept for the rythm guitartist. He can't really play the song for the new album. The most obvious solution here would be to kick him out of the band. But, we live in a very small town were the numbers of guitar players are highly limited. Not to metion guitar players that want to play metal. :(

Another problem is that he is really touchy. We were thinking I would have to lay down his rythm tracks, but he got really angry, and started yelling at everyone. :eek:

We have thought of the possibility of playing with only one guitar, but when we do so, and do some live recording, just to check it out, we lack the certain strenght that you get from two guitars. :(

Anyone have any tips on what we could do?

i hope you're not talking about me man. Don't worry i'll work harder..... j/k . Actually i think 1 guitar 1 bass can be enough, look at bands like pantera, fear factory and chevelle

Helloween_rox
01-21-2007, 12:49 AM
Seems to me like you don't want to be too rough on the guy. Here's my solution- find a music store that also teaches lessons in your area that he doesn't go to alot, and post an ad for a new rhythym guitarist if he keeps his crap up.

EirikFtw
01-21-2007, 02:53 PM
well, we don't have any music stores in our town, and we just can't post that around in grocery stores sand stuff, 'couse then he'll get real angry. Anyways, the musical community around here is really really small, so everyone knows everyone. And I know there is no one that suits our band as a rythm guitarist around.

YetAnotherMuso
01-23-2007, 04:10 AM
dude i think you are my long lost norwegian brother. I have pretty much your exact problem. My rythm guitarist is lazy as f*ck and keeps on trying to make us into this shitty pop-punk band (we are a metalcore/melodic death kinda band) so that people will like us and he won't have to play difficult riffs (they aren't difficult but he won't practice them). My town has population 2600 though lol.

Anyway I say the booting and using recorded parts live idea sounds like your best option, we're seriously considering that option right now. This band i saw a little while ago didn't have their drummer on the night, so they used recorded drums and they still went off!

EDIT: and second Jearl's idea of trying to have a serious talk to him before booting him.

ar73m
01-23-2007, 04:19 AM
Why not sacrifice him to Satan in order to acquire superhuman powers that would allow you play both lead and rhythm at the same time? Seems like a TRU thing to do in your situation.

METSOAD
01-23-2007, 09:48 AM
stick with him, but give him a final notice, Get Better, or Quit

EirikFtw
01-23-2007, 11:33 AM
thanks for the tips guys, we have been to soft on him:)

~G{}{}BER~
01-24-2007, 07:43 PM
easy solution: dont boot him yet...tell him that if he doesnt work harder, he's out and then mention that you've got somone else who is begging to be in....give him encouragment and help him out!

mydarkesthour
01-24-2007, 08:15 PM
yea.
im a rythem guitarist myself, and was one lazy ass hole in the begining.
but my brother(lead guitarist) nd the rest of my band kept on biting my ass till i got the riffs down.
nd about 1 month later. i got it.
were playin our 1st gig in 2 months...
i need a new amp!!!!
im thinking of a beringer...
i heard it sucked.
but i saw my brother shredding on it nd it sounded pretty kewl.
hit me bak if no more about that amp =)
thnx

frigginjerk
01-25-2007, 09:01 AM
yeah... since there' s no replacement available, i would just keep harping on him.

lol... have the rest of the band lay down every part on the record except his, and do it really quickly. Then just be like... "here man... we're just waiting for your contribution. But if it sucks balls in any way, you're gonna redo it over and over and over."

He'll get the message. if not, just dump him at the first oppotunity. You're worried about him freaking out, but I may point out that he already freaks out when things get tense. In the big big picture, guys like that are bad for bands. He doesn't practice and he doesn't respond well to criticism.

wongacaster
01-25-2007, 09:33 AM
whoa but dude dont pressure him to much our drummer does it and we are seriously thinking of kicking him out for it.
its just its ****ed he comes over pressures us into jamming and then at the end were expected to get down a song and record it by the end of the day wtf.

so dont do it to much just straight up kick him out if your gunna dont beat around the bush.