Your favourite guitarist and why.

PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite guitarist and why.

espliam
01-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi people i was just thinking that people make these threads about their favourite guitarists but never actually put a reason why they are their favourite in the first place.

so.. why not discuss who are our favourite guitarists and why.

ill go first.

My favourite guitarist is kirk hammett. and the reason is because he can play really cool and fast guitar solos, on albums like and justice for all and master of puppets. he plays really fast solos and on albums like load and reload he can play some really cool blues licks and solos. hes basically the backbone of most of metallicas riffs and i think that metallica wouldnt be the same band if kirk left.

GiantRaven
01-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Deron Miller

Because the riffs he creates are greater than any other riffs in existence

SonOfOsiris
01-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Jonny Greenwood, cos he is in Radiohead

ECistheBest
01-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Eric Clapton. cuz he's god.

matttt
01-20-2007, 03:15 PM
brian may. cos he can get some pretty good sounds, and his guitar was homemade, and even though a lot of people have homemade guitars, it still impresses me. and obviously he isnt "oh wow look at me i can play really fast"

LauIsSedated
01-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Nick Drake, because he can squeeze something new and fresh out of every chord he plays. Even If he plays unacompanied he never gets boring

Bernard Sumner, Because he's aware of when NOT to play.

Dookie92
01-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Tom Morello because he does what nobody else does. He explorers the boundaries of the guitar more than anyone else and he does it perfectly. He is a legend.

Kingyem0c0re
01-20-2007, 03:24 PM
John Frusciante.
He just makes me gobsmacked when I listen to his solo stuff.

He also made the chili peppers a born again band when he came back when that damn Navarro left.

Sabu
01-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Larry Lalonde because his Primus stuff is awesome and wacky but he can do metal really good as he shown when he was in Possessed

weasel54849
01-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Randy roahds, because he had such a uniqe way of phrasing the notes, I love the the way his solos travel along the neck, His use of the wamy bar was perfect and not over done. he used speed but not at the cost of a buitieful sound. my favorite solo of all time is in mr. crawly,

R.i.p. Rhoads.

f***music
01-20-2007, 04:15 PM
So many I love but I'll just go ahead and list my favorite three

3. John Frusciante- when he puts down a riff that drives the song it always seems so melodic and even if its simple it just always seems to be the perfect fit. You don't want ne more or ne less. Plus whenever they play live he always improvs some crazy shit during solos.

2. Synyster Gates- Ridiculous fast solos and melodies. Great harmonies along with the rhythm player. Plus some of the stuff he adds during verses and choruses is so damn creative to me.

1. Dimebag- In my eyes the best ever. Created the power groove and can make a track bounce like no other (except Morello). Has a unique tone that I never hear ne one match, and his solos are killer.

sorry i listed more than one

mulletman500
01-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Rory Gallagher. The epitomy of tone. Genius in general.

SGRocker0791
01-20-2007, 04:33 PM
John Petrucci, since he pretty much dominates on guitar in every way possible.

Strat_Monkey
01-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Well this isn't my favourite guitarist, but he's high up on my list and I'm gonna say him 'coz he's not well-known enough: Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic is stunning. Check out Maggot Brain sometime. 10 minute long completely improvised guitar solo, with so much soul it's incredible. That's his best work, but everything else is pretty good too.

benjirowell
01-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Slash - just because he is more than just a rock guitarist, there is so much more to him than that; and the fact that he taught himself, and never really learnt any theory guitar: like scales etc, he just played it because he liked it and he played what he wanted, which reminds me of myself because i started just wanting to be able to play guitar, and then it became just a passion and i just love to play! Also I think he is just a total iconic rockstar, and legend! He's my idle!

:p: :p: :p: :p: :p:

Alucard II
01-20-2007, 05:58 PM
hes basically the backbone of most of metallicas riffs and i think that metallica wouldnt be the same band if kirk left.that part is untrue; Hetfield writes 90% of Metallicas stuff.

Draken
01-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Tom Morello because he can play such amazing sounding riffs and made noises that no-one else made before.

DownInAHole.
01-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Frusciante.

bigwillie
01-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Josh Homme

Kyuss AND Queens of the Stone Age.

jwn2112
01-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Ive got two

Slash- because not only is he an amazing guitarist but he seems like a really cool down to earth guy.

Eddie Van Halen-he did shit no one else could ever have dreamed of at that time. that and he is always smiling when he is playing u know he just loves to play

Resiliance
01-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Emily Remler, Joe Pass, Jimmy Bruno, Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, and dozens of others...

All of them for because they aren't held back in any way in the (often very difficult and great, not that being difficult is a prerequisite for it being great) things they want to do and do, and their knowledge of the guitar and music, especially improvising.

Strat_Monkey
01-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Josh Homme

Kyuss AND Queens of the Stone Age.

I agree, he is totally underrated as a guitarist, which is weird seeing as he's hugely appreciated (and rightly so) at everything else he does).

chaoticgeek
01-20-2007, 08:45 PM
I don't know if I have a favorite, but I have three that I like.... John Frusciante, Jimi Hendrix, and My friend.

FATTYCANTJUMP
01-20-2007, 10:27 PM
David Gilmour. Because of how creative he was with his soloing, and plus hes part of Pink Floyd.

neidnarb11890
01-20-2007, 11:01 PM
East Bay Ray, because he's talented and creative and makes cool riffs that I like. Or Mick Jones for the same reason.

Caustic
01-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Top three in no particular order:

Johnny Greenwood, for his fantastic creativity and texture in his playing. His use of effects is unbelievably great and effective.

Johnny Marr. His playing was not technical, there were no solos, no monster riffs, but his jangly chord-based playing helped bring the guitar back into British popular music in the 80's. He was also a fantastic songwriter and foil to Morrissey.

Peter Buck. Again, another chord-based player. But so effective. His arpeggio riffs and open position chording gave REMs music an airy feel that has influenced me a huge amount.

Schecter4lyfe
01-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Ive got a couple to

Jimi Hendrix- i know everyone like but not many people fully understand what he did. this guy was an actual genius when it came to the guitar. Seeing that in his time he no more than a four track...that alone says enough. The things he was able to create with jus ta four track are things people today cant even create. Not only that but this guy played his heart through his guitar, he made u feel what he was feeling. Incredible guy and very missed.

Slash- Yes everyone loves slash but for me he is one of the main reasons i picked up the guitar. The first song i heard by GNR is a cliche rock song, Sweet Child of Mine, but it was the solo that i heard first. He mixes soem gritty rock with his signature blues chops and orgasmic bends.

Alexi Laiho- This kid practiced his ass off to get where he is today. He has nothing but love for music. And this jus tmakes me like him even more. Yeah lest not forget abotu his insane chromatic runs and lightning fast, precise fingers. But he dropped out of high school( just liek my other dude slash) adn practiced 12 hours a day. Thats how u make it.

ledhed68
01-21-2007, 01:27 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughan-He pours every ounce of emotion into every single note, and plays cleaner than anyone I've ever heard.

TheHeartbreaker
01-21-2007, 01:32 AM
Duane Allman.

In such a short time he managed to become one of the best slide guitarists the world has ever seen. His improvisation skills were amazing, and everything that came out of his guitar was of the purest music.

TheGnome
01-21-2007, 01:37 AM
David Gilmour cuz alot of his 80's and on stuff was so slow yet skillful. his solos felt like a whole other verse of the song with deep meaning and emotion

malibuclc
01-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Tom Morello because he can play such amazing sounding riffs and made noises that no-one else made before.

Sounds a little like Jimi Hendrix. I don't think there's anyone in that guys league, now or then.

666Sabbath666
01-21-2007, 03:37 AM
Tony Iommi
I think he is one of the most underated guitarists ever, he has amazing solo's and when Sabbath first satrted out nobody was making guitar riffs like him.

spittle8
01-21-2007, 05:32 AM
I agree, he is totally underrated as a guitarist, which is weird seeing as he's hugely appreciated (and rightly so) at everything else he does).
QOTSA's guitarwork is -****ING AMAZING- Mosquito Song, for one, is pretty awesome. They have awesome solos, too!

Jerry Cantrell. Not the greatest of all time, but my favorite. His music was haunting and beautiful, badass and angry, and he has some of the best tone ever, and he could go from country to blues to metal to rock. His music moves me the most.

sadistic_monkey
01-21-2007, 09:27 AM
John Frusciante, mostly because of his solo material though. It has so much more feeling than anything he's done with RHCP.

Mike Einziger - He's technically very, very good but only really uses it if the song needs it. Also makes some fantastic riffs, and some of the best use of effects I've heard.

Matt Bellamy - Very unique style of playing, and can play pretty complicated things and sing at the same time.

revan1013
01-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Daron Malakian, more because of his unusual schizophrenic style and songwriting than virtuosity. Hard and fast riffs and arpeggios with beautiful melodies... gotta love it.

Alucard II
01-21-2007, 11:51 AM
i dont think i could pick one, but i'll list 3 that i love that havent been named yet

Joe Satriani - just an awesome guitar player, innovative, and know more theory than i could ever fit inside my head

Adam Jones - not a technical player at all, but he's part of the awesome dynamic that creates Tools music

Vogg - probably my favourite death metal guitarist, even ahead of Muhammed Suicmez. his tone is awesome, his playing is awesome, just a kickass guitarist.

Jetty
01-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Matt Heafy

brutality at its best..

Alucard II
01-22-2007, 06:15 PM
^eh, no. i can list more more brutal guitarists than you have teeth.

GiantRaven
01-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Matt Heafy

brutality at its best..
You must be joking...

NevermorePsalm
01-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Guthrie Govan, Shawn Lane

Both absolutely amazing improvisers, and good song writers to boot.
Govan is absolutely masterful.

Mikael Akerfeldt & Steven Wilson
Just for being them selves.

Schecter4lyfe
01-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughan-He pours every ounce of emotion into every single note, and plays cleaner than anyone I've ever heard.

yes sir he did, but if ur gonna say SRV then u have to say Hendrix because, he played his guitar as if it were his heart.

yawn
01-23-2007, 01:59 AM
Billy Joe Armstrong, because he can ruin every single UG thread he's mentioned in.

That, my friends, is talent.

Roymond
01-23-2007, 02:03 AM
Clapton is my favorite.

I really like the way he plays the different type of instruments. Such as Tears in Heaven or classical Gas, where he plays a classical guitar. His songs also reflect a lot of passion, again using Tears in Heaven, which was written after the loss of his son. His style just is so fluid and it's really fun to listen to... at least for me.

yawn
01-23-2007, 02:04 AM
Clapton is my favorite.

I really like the way he plays the different type of instruments. Such as Tears in Heaven or classical Gas, where he plays a classical guitar. His songs also reflect a lot of passion, again using Tears in Heaven, which was written after the loss of his son. His style just is so fluid and it's really fun to listen to... at least for me....different types of instruments...such as...a guitar? :confused:

ECistheBest
01-23-2007, 02:07 AM
...different types of instruments...such as...a guitar? :confused:

lol
i guess he meant different types of guitars.
but he can create so many different types of genre/sounds out of one instrument.
u gotta admit that.
my vote goes to clapton too btw. he's god, love the tone, his playing style is the best in my book.

Masochist_Lust
01-23-2007, 02:08 AM
Favourite is probably Satriani. I grew up listening to him and his songs just sound either so upbeat/fun or incredibly emotional. I love him.

--Masochist Lust

Chris_Freeman
01-25-2007, 03:45 PM
in the little bit of time ive been listening to rock and metal one guy stood out. dimebag darrell. with every note he played you could fell the hair standing up on the back of your neck. his solos were ungodly skilled and without a whole lot of theory .

sjada
01-25-2007, 04:23 PM
i have three favorites:
Tony Iommi: one of the most innovative guitarists on music today for inventing metal, and an overall amazing guitarist, especially considering he did all that with prosthetic fingertips
J. Mascis: one of the most original and naturally talented guitarists there is in my opinion. his stuff with dinosaur jr was brialliant, especially Youre Living All Over Me
Dick Dale: one of the best guitarists of his time, he invented surf, Miserlou is one of the most amazing songs every played

cusic
01-25-2007, 04:29 PM
For me It'd have to be Slash, mostly 'cos he's so Rock N' Roll. Plus he wears a cool hat :D

ctb
01-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Jeff Hanneman of Slayer.

Fredrik Thordendal or Meshuggah.

Masochist_Lust
01-25-2007, 05:44 PM
in the little bit of time ive been listening to rock and metal one guy stood out. dimebag darrell. with every note he played you could fell the hair standing up on the back of your neck. his solos were ungodly skilled and without a whole lot of theory .
Without a whole lot of theory? Lol, he's like, THE GOD of pentatonics :p:

He's awesome, he's sooooo good when it comes to his whammy bar...

--Masochist Lust

mike_5150
01-26-2007, 04:48 PM
I've got two

Eddie Van Halen - The most colourful guitarist in his early days. He was very innovative

Paul Gilbert - The pure technical abilitiy of this guy is unbelievable. I like his newer stuff better now because he doesnt just shred all the time

Sid Vicouis
01-28-2007, 04:08 PM
kurt cobain because his feedback skills and riffs own me. and no, im not a guy who got into guitar just this year, ive been playing for 4 years now.

SURFraptor7
01-29-2007, 12:18 AM
David Gilmour.

If God's voice was a musical instrument, it would be David Gilmour's guitar.

A close second would be Steve Howe from Yes. Definitely my favorite acoustic/classical guitarist. Listen to a song called "The Clap" and you'll understand what I'm talking about...

Monkeygone2hvn
01-29-2007, 01:12 AM
johnny greenwood- i have never heard anyone else make a guitar sound like he does and he has an amazing mastery over his effects pedals. he is also an amazing songwriter good example (the tourist ending song on ok computer)

john frusciante- i cannot explain why i like his playing but it is incredibly refreshing to me and has inspired me in a ridiculous amount of ways, listen to the solo in the past recedes made me respect him so much, he's also not afraid to experiment which is somthing i also respect

omar rodriguez lopez- for the same reasons for the 2 above listed guitarists, i feel that he is an incredible musician cabable of thinking outside of the box which is something i respect, to be able to create music of his sort is inspriational to me to write for myself and to be influenced by life and all of its ups and downs, plus his guitar playing blows my mind