annoying neighbors and cops! HELP!

PDA

View Full Version : annoying neighbors and cops! HELP!

loopypoopy
01-21-2007, 02:27 AM
My band and I keep having many encounters with the cops due my bitchy neighborss. They never approached me once about turning the sound down, but they constantly call the cops. I was wondering, whats the best solution for preventing sound from escaping my garage. My garage door is always closed and I don't play when it's illegal (past 10 P.M). I'm planning on getting some rugs on the floor and I'm ordering 200 egg cartons to staple gun to the left wall, since the closest neighbor is on the left and are only ones complaining. Theres only a street to the right of my house and the sound isn't that audible from across the street.

I'm tired of the cops coming, and we need a way to practice somehow. Keep in mind that playing quieter isn't something we can control due to the drums being so loud.

any other solutions?

ECistheBest
01-21-2007, 02:28 AM
i got those too...
but i can't even practice by myself without headphones
-___-"

ROCK=ZEPPELIN
01-21-2007, 02:33 AM
My band has the same problem, as long as it's allowed for the time, (in your case, before 10:00) then, go ahead and play as loud as you want. When my band had the problem, we called the station and asked if we were alowed to play as loud as we wanted, and they basically said yes. Long story short, all the cops can do is advise you to quiet down.

E V H 5150
01-21-2007, 02:38 AM
Well, I have a solution, but I don't advise you do it, unless life in prison for homicide charges don't bother you. So what you do is this: play as loud as possible. And just keep doing it. Be sure to use ear protection, however. and when the cops come, you'll be so loud that they won't even be able to enter the garage. But I heard somewhere that if you reach enough decibells, the vibrations could kill you. But I doubt you could get the volume needed for that to happen with any regular guitar amp.

loopypoopy
01-21-2007, 02:44 AM
They say if they have to tell me twice, they'll write me a ticket, I think I've had like 5 different cops come. I know its not anything illegal, I've called the station as well. It's just annoying everytime you have some dumb cop bang on your garage to tell you that your neighbors are complaining. The cops threaten to write tickets for disturbing the peace or whatever.

This one time, a cop came and told me that it was illegal to utilize amplified equipment without a permit, which totally pissed me off cause he tried to impose a false law on me. So I asked him why'd they sell me a guitar amp without a permit then, and he just responded with "don't play dumb, its illegal to use amplified equipment." Stupid patronizing cops.

Viva-la-mark
01-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Could you put a matress(sp?) up against the walls ?

eckmann88
01-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Get muters (Think that's what they're called) for the drums

jfbrown42
01-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Check out Sweetwater's Acoustic Treatment Help me Soundproof my Room! (http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio/acoustic-treatment/buying-guide.php#6) page.

acidity
01-21-2007, 01:24 PM
have a word with the twats, tell them thay its your house and if its legal you can do whatever you want, mabey even come to an agreement.. if they dont want to, well tell them to **** off and play louder....

scrambler_66
01-25-2007, 02:16 PM
I like the quote from Guitar Hero (2?)

"If the neighbors complain about the noise, play louder until they move away."

GiantRaven
01-25-2007, 04:16 PM
I like the quote from Guitar Hero (2?)

"If the neighbors complain about the noise, play louder until they move away."
:rolleyes:

Why can't people be considerate of others

doctor_rocker
01-25-2007, 06:05 PM
uhh... well you say you don't play past 10:00, but generally I think it'd only be polite to try to practice in the afternoon and evening and not at night at all. I mean, playing up until you have to stop is legal, but it's annoying, too (obviously).

METSOAD
01-26-2007, 03:54 AM
just get the muters for the drums, put all things that you don't need inside the bass drum to make that quiter and turn yor guitars down

i love noise as much as the next guy but when they keep calling the police, you know that at some point your gonna get in trouble

Zar Mulix
01-26-2007, 04:04 AM
I think it's better to keep it a little quiet than to be interrupted all the time and have the constant worry about getting in trouble. Trust me, I know the feeling. It's horrible.

Dutch_Apples
01-26-2007, 04:09 AM
I want to put a little comment twist in here.

I once knew some people from high school who had a band that practiced in a garage with the doors closed, but would open it up when it got hot. Everyone in our small town knew everyone so there was good chances of hearing things (no pun intended) Anyways, this band was pretty terrible and had the cops called on them a few times. This was done by the neighbour across the street.

We found out from the son of the guy who called the cops that this guy actually didn't care about the noise level and actually would have liked to have a band live near him. The real reason he called the police was because the band was terrible and didn't sound good at all, so he didn't want to hear it!

METSOAD
01-26-2007, 09:40 AM
^^ thats a good story =]

singer_johnny90
01-26-2007, 08:00 PM
i like the mattress idea. that, coupled with muters and lower amps should do the trick. if not, maybe you should practice at one of your band members' houses instead of yours.

good luck, by the way.