Fingers too big?

PDA

View Full Version : Fingers too big?

bobvanjr
01-21-2007, 06:07 AM
First post....total newbie here.

I just bought a Seagull S6. I've never played in my life and really have no idea how to do it. Armed with a few books and a Hal somebody DVD, I've been trying to learn some basics. My trouble has been trying to learn chords. I have a hard time playing A, D, and C cleanly. I'm 6'7" but my hands aren't huge, I'd say between a large and an extra-large in glove size.

Is it something that just comes with time? Are there guitars that are better suited for someone with large hands? Maybe it's just because my fingers are sore and not strong enough but it seems like it's literally impossible for me to squeeze my dang fingers in there without rubbing on the wrong string.

Take it easy on my...I've only been a guitar player for 3 days.

Thanks!

backtothe70s
01-21-2007, 06:14 AM
if you play an A with 3 fingers, reduce it to 1, barre it and for D you can barre over 2nd fret with you index finger and then fret on the 3rd fret with you middle finger

Master Shake
01-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Just practice is my advice, I dont barre personally, but then again im not a huge on chords (im a Blackmore fan) glad to hear you have picked up the instrument though :)

KVincent
01-21-2007, 06:27 AM
It's all about technique and practice. Even with thick sausagelike fingers you can stil play the guitar perfectly. Practice practice practice and you will get it right.

DJaye
01-21-2007, 06:32 AM
I think you have answered your own question. You have only been playing for three days. As with guitar playing, Rome wasn't built in a day.

It will take your fingers about 4 weeks to adjust to the strings, and develop callouses.

Practice practice practice practice

DJaye
01-21-2007, 06:44 AM
If you seriously want to learn the guitar, click the link at the bottom of this message.

It is a 10 x DVD "Learn & Master Guitar" Course by Steve Krenz

Within 8 to 12 weeks, you will be playing Barre Chords, Pentatonic Scales & basic fingerstyle, and a lot lot more. You, in a few months, WILL know more than many guitarists do, who have been playing for several years.

EVERYTHING Is covered. EVERY style is covered

There are 20 Lessons in all (2 per DVD), and includes 5 x Jam Along CD's that you can play along to, with the songs you have just learned. Plus a huge Lesson book, and a professional binder, to keep everything safe & together.

It starts off very easy, and slowly adds concepts that are easy to manage, challenging, and rewarding.

Take a look at it, it is cheaper than lessons, and you can do it at your own pace, when and where you want.

LEARN & MASTER GUITAR (http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=539277)

EL Conquestidor
01-21-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm not suggesting you use this as a crutch. The advice given already is good. It just takes longer than 3 days to get hang of correctly holding the guitar and fingering chords.
1st I'd suggest MAKING SURE you are holding the guitar properly. Your fretting hand should be held in a manner that you can lay your fingers flat across the fret board and your thumb is on the middle of the back of the neck.
Hold your hand in front of your face w/your finger flat and your thumb paralel to them in a kind of sidways U. Now turn your hand over and slip the guitar neck in. Place you thumb on the middle of the back of the neck and begin to make your chord shapes w/your fingers. BUT DO NOT MOVE THAT THUMB! You'll find this FORCES you to bend your wrist and apply your fingers verticaly to the strings w/only your FINGERTIPS on the strings.
It's kinda uncomfortable, especially at first and IMO one of main diciplines beginners try to shortcut. And end trying to chord w/the flats of one or more fingers which leads to muting of other strings.
Later AFTER you've mastered proper chording technic, you may morph into more comfortable hand positions on various chords. But for now you MUST learn to do it right!
Now for the other part. Acoustic guitar necks come in different shapes and widths. With time people generally discover some shapes/widths are more comfortable for them. Generally speaking, I'd say it's WAY too early for you to be able to tell the difference. Except in one sense. Neck width.
Most modern Acoustics come in the standard 1 13/16" (at nut) neck width. However some brands offer a slightly wider 1 3/4" (at nut) width. These wider necks are generally considered preferable for fingerstyle pickers. But people w/large hands, or like me are beginning to experience older age hand problems (in conjuction w/large hands) often find the wider neck helpfull.
When I was younger and my hands "worked better", I could play any guitar. But nowdays I NEED that extra 1/16" for some applications. It's amazing how much difference it can make.
I'd suggest you do your best, using proper hand technic to learn on what you have. But if you find it's a continueing problem, look into a wider neck.

bobvanjr
01-22-2007, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll just have to stick to it. A buddy from work brought in his AlvarezRF20SM tonight and it seemed a little easier to play as far as string spacing but the action was way high.

I've been toying with taking back the S6 to get a Taylor 210 (just cause they're cool) but I think they have any even narrower nut width.

BigFatSandwich
01-22-2007, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll just have to stick to it. A buddy from work brought in his AlvarezRF20SM tonight and it seemed a little easier to play as far as string spacing but the action was way high.

I've been toying with taking back the S6 to get a Taylor 210 (just cause they're cool) but I think they have any even narrower nut width.
yes, the 210s have a very narrow nut width. the 3xx series and up have wider necks, though. but I wouldn't reccomend spending that much money on a guitar just yet...

hannigaholic
01-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Most modern Acoustics come in the standard 1 13/16" (at nut) neck width. However some brands offer a slightly wider 1 3/4" (at nut) width.

1 13/16 is wider than 1 3/4, not the other way round

3/4 is 12/16

EL Conquestidor
01-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Brain fart. I mean't 1 11/16".

silentscope1234
01-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Yea man, the guitar has some bearing on the ease of the chords, but once you are able to play chords well you can play on any guitar without problems.

You just have to practice and stick with it. I had your exact same problem when I first bought my acoustic. A few months later I can play chords just fine. Practicing every day will greatly increase your speed of improvement, as opposed to playing every couple of days, or only when you feel like it.

VoRzCeNt
01-22-2007, 08:47 PM
First post....total newbie here.
I'm 6'7"

You should've played basketball lol. I'm more at this thread to learn than to teach so I don't really have anything to say.

Sorry.

VoRzCeNt
01-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Whoa you're FROM MIDLAND! I'm from Flushing right near Flint ahhaaha.

FenderKid87
01-23-2007, 03:51 AM
I actually have Huge fingers and really like my old S6 because of the spacing on it. I can't say it's better than my 614, but I really love the tone and feel of cedar tops. It might just be how you are fretting the chords, try and find the minimum amount of pressure you can use while getting a full chord. I'm kinda weird in the aspect that I play A as a barre using my index or middle finger, just because it's quicker and easier than using 3 fingers, I just bend it so it covers the notes I need.

Like everyone else is saying, practice is the main thing, have fun with it!

bobvanjr
01-23-2007, 04:29 AM
Whoa you're FROM MIDLAND! I'm from Flushing right near Flint ahhaaha.

Close enough to get together if you ever want to.

Man, I really like my Seagull, mu buddy came out and said that it sounded better than his Martin, an electric-acoustic dc something or other.

The last few days I've spent hours learning chords. A, Am, D, E Em, C, G, F (is a bitch), and G7. I can finger them all very good now. What I need to work on is sppeding up the progression between chords now. I"M GETTING IT!

Barre chords are another story. I'm having a hard timefretting the right notes with my 1st finger. My buddy has me trying them because he knows that I want to learn Flake by Jack Johnson really bad.

One more question for you guys. I've noticed that on my new quitar, right under the bridge, the finish is really crappy...like is wasn't sanded or stained the same as the rest of the top. Is this normal on an S6? You can barely see it when it's in the shadow of the bridge but I know it's there and it pisses my off. Is guitar Center good about taking stuff back? I know I can't expect perfection on a $400 guitar but I bet a Taylor 210 doesn't look like that.

the spiker
01-27-2007, 01:32 AM
If you seriously want to learn the guitar, click the link at the bottom of this message.

It is a 10 x DVD "Learn & Master Guitar" Course by Steve Krenz

Within 8 to 12 weeks, you will be playing Barre Chords, Pentatonic Scales & basic fingerstyle, and a lot lot more. You, in a few months, WILL know more than many guitarists do, who have been playing for several years.

EVERYTHING Is covered. EVERY style is covered

There are 20 Lessons in all (2 per DVD), and includes 5 x Jam Along CD's that you can play along to, with the songs you have just learned. Plus a huge Lesson book, and a professional binder, to keep everything safe & together.

It starts off very easy, and slowly adds concepts that are easy to manage, challenging, and rewarding.

Take a look at it, it is cheaper than lessons, and you can do it at your own pace, when and where you want.

LEARN & MASTER GUITAR (http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=539277)

I would recomend that too, but the price is just insane...

FriPilot
05-06-2008, 10:53 PM
bobvanjr, I just bought a new Seagull M6 Gloss. I like it a lot.
It's the first acoustic I've owned in about 40 years, and the
first guitar period, that I've owned for about 25 years.
I was experiencing a little buzzing, which was easily fixed
by my local guitar shop guys. A quick twist of the truss rod.
They also suggested putting a new set of strings on it. I didn't
think that they were that bad, but put on a new set anyway.
Now, the guitar seems a little harder to play. The shop guys
swear that the strings I bought, were the same as those that
were on it, but I'm not so sure. At any rate, I'm going in and ask them
to lower the action just a little bit (undoing the truss bar twist they did)
to see if it will play a little easier without buzzing.

You might want to run yours into the shop just to have
it checked. Could be that a small adjustment will help.

It's good to hear, though, that you're doing better. I know how you
feel, not having played for so many years. I guess my muscle memory
is sort of like my brain's memory... good but short ;)

FriPilot

Chad48309
05-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Nice to see another Michigan player.

Keep practicing. There is your answer.