school gigs

PDA

View Full Version : school gigs

acidity
01-21-2007, 01:40 PM
i know alot of you, me included, play concerts at school. What do you think is better, playing something that everybody could appreciate [well know indie, stuff thats in the chart] or something the rockers would love.

We usually play our own stuff, which isnt up to much at, but we are improving a hell of a lot, but we want to play a cover for a laugh, and to be honest, its tempting to play something crazy :devil: .

dark_aars
01-21-2007, 01:48 PM
What did you have in mind?

samerika
01-21-2007, 01:52 PM
For example ?

CrEePiNgDeAtH66
01-21-2007, 01:53 PM
do something rockers will love at the end of the day every one else will just take the piss after your finished anyway

AngelOfSorrow
01-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Do what you like. Do what kinda music you want. Do like Battery or Hangar 18 or Walk or something something that you can look into the crowd and watc people's jaw's dropping...

freebird

John W
01-21-2007, 01:57 PM
^ *billhicks*THAT ISNT EVEN FUNNY, HEIL HITLER*billhicks*

Yeah play what YOU want, not what someone else wants (unless you want to do it too :P)

Just promise not to do Crazy Frog - Axel F

acidity
01-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Just promise not to do Crazy Frog - Axel F

no problem with that :peace:

we want to do a towers of london song, air raid siren and all :p: .

TehNez
01-21-2007, 02:02 PM
My metal band is playing 2 school talent shows this year. We play what we like, we play it for the fun of playing. We could care less about if other people like it. To us, we're just having a jam session in front of people.

MusicalMinority
01-21-2007, 03:00 PM
You're not in it for the audience, you're in it to play what you like.

But just so you're allowed back in to play again, you better play some indie stuff. xD

trem7
01-21-2007, 04:09 PM
I played in three bands at one talent show at my school, I played
"welcome home" - coheed and cambria
"power ranger's theme"
"the trooper" - Iron Maiden
"Pain for pleasure" - Sum 41
"Paper Airplanes" - AFI
basically every song we played the crowd loved, it may have been the stage presence but it was still great. Do songs you like because they'l be the ones you're best at and will have the most fun doing, believe it or not, if you have fun playing a song the crowd doesn't really like they'll still enjoy it.

Dutch_Apples
01-21-2007, 06:18 PM
How many rockers does everyone's school have? At mine... there was maybe 15 out of 300 students (small school), but this was back in 2002 when nu-metal was fading out. I would stil play something that everyone loves, or better yet.. something the judges will love.

al silver
01-21-2007, 07:28 PM
I played in three bands at one talent show at my school, I played
"welcome home" - coheed and cambria
"power ranger's theme"
"the trooper" - Iron Maiden
"Pain for pleasure" - Sum 41
"Paper Airplanes" - AFI
basically every song we played the crowd loved, it may have been the stage presence but it was still great. Do songs you like because they'l be the ones you're best at and will have the most fun doing, believe it or not, if you have fun playing a song the crowd doesn't really like they'll still enjoy it.

GO GO POWER RANGERS!!!! XD

Ur all $h1t
01-21-2007, 07:32 PM
i say just play what people like while you make a name for yourself, then when people liek you slowly introduce more obscure stuff and people will listen

Joshrocker48
01-21-2007, 09:05 PM
well i go to a christian school and my goal is to start an insane pit during battle of the bands

so go with the crazy stuff

trem7
01-21-2007, 11:21 PM
GO GO POWER RANGERS!!!! XD

haha it was pretty spot on, but the vocals sucked... no one cared because they all sang along.

JagStang5246
01-21-2007, 11:22 PM
My former band and I played covers and....the crowd hated it. Everyone at my school either likes Rap or Emo, except for the minority that likes metal and such.

Shredlet
01-22-2007, 12:42 AM
Well i say play something for the rockers, but dont give em all that cradle of filth stuff or anything to heavy that they wont like coz you have to please the crowd because the rockers are in the minority and majority rules find something to please both.

GiantRaven
01-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Play for the rockers, they'll care more about what you play :p:

Crack out the 'deth or something :headbang:

WhereArtEsteban
01-22-2007, 09:05 PM
I say play something that the rockers will respect and like, and somehting people will know.
cough*WELCOMETOTHEJUNGLE*cough

Tsunoyukami
01-22-2007, 10:01 PM
I agree with the previous person.

Find something that the majority of people will recognize and enjoy hearing, something to get the energy flowing, but make sure it's something that the rockers will like as well.

Or, you could play an original song that has both a heavy and catchy feel to it...

SKECHY
01-23-2007, 02:48 AM
Peace Sells. It must be the most catchiest metal song ever. Also Procreation of The Wicked would really get the crowd going but hey, it's all up to you.

METSOAD
01-23-2007, 03:56 AM
Play Cum Blood by Cannibal Corpse =]

qurazy
01-23-2007, 01:56 PM
You have to play
Anarchy in the UK - Sex Pistols
Killing in the Name - RATM
**ck Authority - Pennywise
We're Not Gonna Take it - Twisted Sister
Peace Sells - Megadeth
21rst Century Digital Boy - Bad Religion
Pretty Fly - The Offspring (Be sure to point to a loser in the crowd.)
Institutionalized - Suicidal Tendencies
Bitch School - Spinal Tap

Anything that would piss off the people you hate. You won't win battle of the bands, but you'll feel good inside. Since you know you're not going to win, be sure to criticize the school system as much as possible in between songs.

qurazy
01-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Songs that everyone knows

Free Bird
Back in Black
Stairway
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Iron Man
Paranoid
American Idiot
All the Small Things

AVOID THESE SONGS!! DON'T PLAY THEM UNLESS THEY ARE REQUESTED!

dylan87654321
01-24-2007, 03:26 AM
play originals(only if their not crap indie) because you will make a name for ur self and there will be a bbunch of bands at your school that cant make songs cause they suck and they just do covers you will win cause of your creativety i won my schools battle of bands playing metal originals

GiantRaven
01-24-2007, 09:06 AM
play originals(only if their not crap indie)

I'm pretty sure he's allowed to write whatever music he wants...

oZone_TNS
01-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Songs that everyone knows

Free Bird
Back in Black
Stairway
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Iron Man
Paranoid
American Idiot
All the Small Things

AVOID THESE SONGS!! DON'T PLAY THEM UNLESS THEY ARE REQUESTED!

Ill bet that all my friends wouldnt know any of those songs except for maybe SLTS.

If it was me Id play for the rockers, even though everyone at school listens to dance... except for a handful that like metal.

qurazy
01-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Ill bet that all my friends wouldnt know any of those songs except for maybe SLTS.

If it was me Id play for the rockers, even though everyone at school listens to dance... except for a handful that like metal.

Yeah, play for the real rockers.

Gibson Phoney
01-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Play some muse, they are kinda known by everyone and the people that like rock and such will be happy with it aswell. Try Map of the problematique if you can manage it, it is quite catchy and *most* people will like it, if you cant do that try feeder - come back around or a better known song.
You could get away with some songs by them at any gig to be honest.

Deadmen
01-25-2007, 01:10 AM
write some music, call me, and I will try to write for you dude, that would be cool.

greendayguitar
01-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Why not some of both?

Start off with something energetic, but something everyone knows, then go to some ehavier stuff, then back to what everyone knows again.

The best of both worlds.

AdamDK
01-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Just play what you like to play. If my band were going to push themselves to play music in the charts people like (Like Indie/Alternative) instead of our natural form of hard rock/RHCP style stuff, I'd quit. Immediately.

Fuck what other people like. It's a school show. Who cares what others think? Besides there will be a few people who like your style.