A few situations here.

PDA

View Full Version : A few situations here.

andersoncouncil
01-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Okay, I'm trying to pull my band together.

The drummer is new to drumming. I plan on lending him my metronome to help him out. I've jammed with him once. We seem to have excellent chemistry.

I plan on playing bass. I don't have one right now, but I will get one soon. It's just become too hard to find a competent bassist.

The guitarist and I are having some musical differences. He wants to cover songs such as "Scar Tissue" and other soft stuff. I like soft stuff. But it's very boring to play on a bass. I want to play songs with impressive bass parts. I've suggested old school RHCP and some Rage, but he doesn't like that stuff at all. He also seems to shrug off jam sessions, I've only jammed with him once.

We (at least the drummer and I) do plan on writing things, but after we have a little more experience playing together.

I've also been invited to joing a punk rock band as a drummer. At first I thought this would be good because I could have one band where I'd be the creative force, and one where I could relax and have fun. I can see a few problems here though.

1. I have zero experience playing drums, but I just changed in symphonic band from T-bone to percussion. When I told them I had zero experience with drumming they said it didn't matter because their old drummer sucked.

2. I asked the guitarist what music theory he knew and he started listing his favorite bands. :rolleyes:

3. My drumset is being used by my drummer in my original band and these guys don't own a drumset.

Okay, so my questions are:

What do I do about the guitarist in the band I'm starting?
Is it a bad idea to join this other band?

Zuka
01-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Find common ground between you and the other guitarist. Birds of a feather, I believe it is.

vantage4
01-21-2007, 11:49 PM
find another guitarist, we're a dime a dozen. and if the other band doesn't sound like they have their shit together then it probably won't get very far, but if you don't mind that aspect then it might be good just for the experience.

andersoncouncil
01-21-2007, 11:51 PM
find another guitarist, we're a dime a dozen.
Not around here.

burntfacedog
01-21-2007, 11:51 PM
I'd say kick the guitarist. He sounds like a bit of an arsehole and there's heaps of them out there.

maggutbrain
01-22-2007, 12:02 AM
punk rock knows no theory fool, what do you think power chords are for?

civildp1
01-22-2007, 12:03 AM
you think scar tissue is boring to play on bass? you must be playing it wrong.

andersoncouncil
01-22-2007, 12:08 AM
punk rock knows no theory fool, what do you think power chords are for?
I honestly don't think he even knows power chords.
you think scar tissue is boring to play on bass? you must be playing it wrong.
Ok. But it's not near as awesome as something like Know Your Enemy or Sir Pshyco Sexy is on bass.

Shredlet
01-22-2007, 12:40 AM
dude my band loves rage, my bassist is all like lets play calm like a bomb coz i want do the intro and we can only play one song perfectly and its Bulls on Parade. just kick out ur guitarist or try to broaden his musical taste

pepsi_lovr
01-22-2007, 02:07 AM
^agreed

:pepsi:

Forcemaster
01-22-2007, 03:24 PM
You can't dismiss as song because the bass parts are 'boring' that's immaturity right there.

andersoncouncil
01-22-2007, 06:45 PM
You can't dismiss as song because the bass parts are 'boring' that's immaturity right there.
I didn't dismiss it. I'm fine with playing it. I just want something that's exciting to play in addition to softer songs. And everthing the guitarist suggests that is "hard-rock-ish" is pop punk.

ARCtrooper225
01-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Just say, I'll learn (insert his song here) if you learn (insert your song here)

ar73m
01-22-2007, 07:08 PM
If you're confident enough with your skills, you could try writing your own bass lines for songs that seem too easy to be fun for you?

andersoncouncil
01-22-2007, 07:11 PM
It's not that they're too easy. It's that I don't like that style of music.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear enough.

GiantRaven
01-22-2007, 08:46 PM
1. Compramise with the guitarist, you'll play his songs if he plays yours
2. The second band seems like a bit of a lost cause to me, it could become some uneeded stress

Oh and...

2. I asked the guitarist what music theory he knew and he started listing his favorite bands. :rolleyes:

:haha :haha :haha

Tsunoyukami
01-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Well I just want to say that even though you may not like the style of music the guitarist does doesn't always mean that he will get an really exciting progression or riff to play. It's not too often you see bass being played as more of a lead instrument (at least nowadays) and most basslines today are very simple with only a few exciting bars mixed in for variation.

Remember that whenever one instrument is playing something exciting oftentimes the rest of the band is there for support. Take turns on choosing songs you want to play but make sure the drummer is okay with these things too.