Sound Check

PDA

View Full Version : Sound Check

CE49
01-23-2007, 04:21 PM
It's my first gig this Saturday and me and my bandmates are stressing quite heavily about every little aspect.

What's worrying me at the moment is exactly what a sound check will entail. I want to make sure I know exactly what's going on as it's happening as to make sure I don't look stupid! So if anybody could give me an idea of what to expect I'd be very grateful!

There is a sound technician at the venue and I'm pretty sure we're all being mic'd up except for the drums.

Thanks for your help! :)

Guitar_Master92
01-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Just make sure your good to go, the sound tech will explain it all.

ZootCst
01-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Don't worry about what you sound like out front, that's the sound guy's job. Listen to him during the sound check, he'll tell you what to do. He'll ask to hear each instrument and mic so that he can set the levels. So, everybody has to play for a few seconds by themselves when the sound guy asks them to. You'll have to yell "check" into your mics a few times. That should be about it if you have a decent sound guy.

If you know your songs, you'll do fine. Don't sweat the small stuff.

CE49
01-23-2007, 04:37 PM
It sounds like I've got to just make sure I listen carefully to the sound guy then - that doesn't sound so bad!
That's one thing off my mind :) Thanks for posting you guys! It has put my mind at rest (for now :P)

Guitar_Master92
01-23-2007, 04:44 PM
It sounds like I've got to just make sure I listen carefully to the sound guy then - that doesn't sound so bad!
That's one thing off my mind :) Thanks for posting you guys! It has put my mind at rest (for now :P)
Yep that's basically his job :p:

Dutch_Apples
01-23-2007, 05:56 PM
One thing I can tell you is sometimes, the sound check takes place in front of the audience. I'm not a fan of this, but the sound guy (if he's professional) will tell the crowd that you are sound checking before you play. DO NOT feel like you have to perform during this sound check. It's what it is.... a sound check.. not a performance check.

SinisterLefty
01-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Another helpful tip is to not put all of your faith in the sound tech. If you are going through sound check and something doesnt sound right to you and you know how it SHOULD sound, make sure to let him know about it. I've seen some guys who have given us an amazing sound and I've worked with a few that I had to help walk through the process.

Syn Harvest
01-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Another helpful tip is to not put all of your faith in the sound tech. If you are going through sound check and something doesnt sound right to you and you know how it SHOULD sound, make sure to let him know about it. I've seen some guys who have given us an amazing sound and I've worked with a few that I had to help walk through the process.

I completley agree. Sound guys are shaky IMO unless your friends with them. Usually at least around here we have to give the guy drugs to get a good sound. Just be like hey heres some coke make us sound good and we will sound great.

GiantRaven
01-24-2007, 09:04 AM
I completley agree. Sound guys are shaky IMO unless your friends with them. Usually at least around here we have to give the guy drugs to get a good sound. Just be like hey heres some coke make us sound good and we will sound great.
Wow...that seems kinda low

I should learn how to do this kinda stuff myself

guitarfan93
01-24-2007, 07:33 PM
i think i know what i wanna be when i grow up