What genre would go mainstream next?

PDA

View Full Version : What genre would go mainstream next?

D_y_p26
01-25-2007, 03:01 AM
it went from jazz->blues->rock n roll->classic metal->hair metal->grunge->punk/rock
what do you think would be the next genre(related to rock) thats gonna go mainstream?

Rise_Againstme!
01-25-2007, 03:08 AM
indie??

-Stain-
01-25-2007, 03:08 AM
God I hope its not grunge or punk. I'd hate for the music I like to be everywherem people to dress like me and here the songs on MTV 10 times a day.

liledman_76
01-25-2007, 03:11 AM
when heavy metal went mainstream it created nu metal, if that happens to punk n creates sum sort of nu punk with 7 string guitars and electronic shit thru it, just kill me now...

yawn
01-25-2007, 03:13 AM
Who cares? Let nature take its course.

stringmagician
01-25-2007, 03:21 AM
Indie will become popular, completely destroying the genre.

-Stain-
I get called emo for likeing bands like Nirvana, Sex Pistols, Soundgarden and Dead Kennedys I think its ****ing bullshit. Do they sound anything like The Used or Falout Boy?

iplayfenders66
this so called "emo" and hardcore is the new mainstream...now all these whiny little gay fags listen to the same music as me and dress the same as me...definatly not cool...lol

...are you trying to take credit for being the first one to wear women's pants??

PieceOfMind666
01-25-2007, 03:23 AM
hopefully something like a bluesy metal. that'd be cool. kinda like opeth, but more bluesy and less metal. I think that it would sound really cool. and more instruments than the basic three, shit like saxaphones, etc. u get the idea.

-Stain-
01-25-2007, 03:24 AM
...are you trying to take credit for being the first one to wear women's pants??

Haha :p:

walkinbazooka
01-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Uh I'm pretty sure for the last five years it's been pop and rap (not real rap or hip hop, just the 'radio' hip hop) and it looks like it's staying that way. But if it were to change soon, sadly, it looks like metalcore and hardcore is arising.

I don't really care because I don't listen to the radio or watch MTV so it doesn't affect me.

Sabu
01-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Goregrind. Pretty soon we're gonna see Regurgitate on cribs

LPIndin
01-25-2007, 01:16 PM
this so called "emo" and hardcore is the new mainstream...now all these whiny little gay fags listen to the same music as me and dress the same as me...definatly not cool...lol
:haha says the person with a a7x avatar, one of the biggest scene bands there is...

joblow
01-25-2007, 05:50 PM
I'd Like to see a good rock n roll group come outta LA and or birmingham. Kinda like bring rock back to its roots, for a while at least...

yawn
01-25-2007, 05:56 PM
^ Well, instead of seeing rock regressing back to a rehash of trite musical territory, I'd rather see some innovative experimentation and progression. Just a thought...

properBo
01-25-2007, 06:53 PM
I think Rap is on the way out, there is a lot less of it on the radio. Unfortunatley Pop is still pretty popular but now Indie and 'New Rave' are becoming 'cool'.

YAY_FOR_PIE
01-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Can't say I've heard punk on the radio lately. And I think Indie is next.

yawn
01-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Damn, I was hoping Indie would be on its way out :(

Hasn't it already been popular for the past several years...? Of course, not "mainstream" popular, but popular enough to have an (overbearing) presence.

before
01-25-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm thinking deathcore and "scene" grind are gonna get bigger, and pretty much be the new "screamo".

krymson
01-26-2007, 07:29 PM
I have a good feeling that rock, especially hard rock will be making a comeback.

original=punk
01-27-2007, 01:43 AM
i dont really care, lets just hope its not the bringing back of swing, thatll completely ruin the genre for me and my gf.

its like the one genre not taken by scene kids.

****! I JUST TOLD YOU IT!

DAMNIT IM SCREWED

lol jkjkjk lololol

just please, were taking swing dance lessons soon so we need this to stay on the DL.

jefflucas
01-28-2007, 12:53 AM
I get called emo for likeing bands like Nirvana, Sex Pistols, Soundgarden and Dead Kennedys I think its ****ing bullshit. Do they sound anything like The Used or Falout Boy?

Fall Out Boy is not emo. I also doubt that The Used is either but surprisingly enough I've never heard them.

D_y_p26
01-28-2007, 02:47 AM
if indie goes mainstream....wouldnt it be called something else.??

iamjosh
01-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Fall Out Boy is not emo. I also doubt that The Used is either but surprisingly enough I've never heard them.

did anyone just see that?

In any case, I while I know that New Wave has been going mainstream again, I'm okay with that, since the genre started out mainstream. I like New Wave, even though it is popular. Imagine that!

And as mindblowing as it sounds, it does seem like Indie will be the next mainstream fad... Death Cab For Cutie's recent success on them charts is sort of indicating that kind of thing. Admittedly, that's very odd, since the genre is called Indie, but I still think Death Cab is turnin' out good music.

So I guess the answer really is "I don't give a damn"

Patches McGee
01-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I don't see the point in concerning myself with what's popular and what isn't or what will be in the future.

untitled039
01-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Indie is very mainstream in the UK now and emo bands that say they are not emo are very mainstream in America right now

jefflucas
01-28-2007, 02:54 PM
did anyone just see that?

Fall Out Boy is pop punk if you want to know what really is emo go that forum and look at the list of bands.

original=punk
01-29-2007, 02:15 PM
yeah about indie going mainstream, its been going mainstream for quite a while, slowly but surely, it will be mainstream.

and yeah, it probly would cease to be indie then.

just like all other styles of music that start underground then go mainstream.

i<3mtv
01-29-2007, 04:30 PM
i dunno for america and that but over here in england indie is invading and the kooks and the arctic monkeys are the ****in generals man :p: its quite shocking....rock music will be left in ruins after, believe us

kurosawa
01-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Thrash will be the next big thing I think, guitar music wise, after indie that is, bloody arctic monkeys

f***music
01-29-2007, 04:37 PM
lets hope its not that strokes/vines/hives/franz ferdinand crap. I remember when those bands were supposed to be the saviors of rock.

My guess is that some band will come out and we on UG will label them as "melodic death screamocore" and everyone will like them and they will become famous and spawn imitators. Then we can all hate them.

Bobbert
01-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Fall Out Boy is pop punk if you want to know what really is emo go that forum and look at the list of bands.

Your a funny lil guy arntcha :vhan:

crash 2.0
01-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Indie or the new modern rock. Like Army of Anyone, Puddle Of Mudd, Three Days Grace, SMile Empty Soul, & Trapt. A lot of bands are taking this similar approach to music, I just dont know what to call it.

grungefan89
01-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Indie or the new modern rock. Like Army of Anyone, Puddle Of Mudd, Three Days Grace, SMile Empty Soul, & Trapt. A lot of bands are taking this similar approach to music, I just dont know what to call it.

All those bands are so generic. Well, AOA is decent, but it puts me to sleep. Plus, it's like Velvet Revolver -- just a bunch of '90s acts rehashing what they've already done in many ways. Once you look at it, '90s and Grunge movement bands (except for a very, very small few) burned out not because of substance abuse, really, but because they (to a certain extent) and new bands were constantly doing what had already been done (example: Silverchair). And before you knew it, you had frigging pop music and people getting in on the scene to be hip. There's a similar problem with Hardcore right now, as a matter of fact.

Listen, I'm not saying not to draw inspiration from a favorite band (and if you could grasp the concept of music, you wouldn't really have a favorite band as it presents a standard for you to judge all other music by and makes you closed-minded to music and other genres of music) when you make music, but try to put your own touches and your own twist and your own vision into what you do. Sure, it's okay to say you're this genre or this genre. But it's not okay to do what has already been done in that genre one-hundred per cent. It kills good music. It kills good genres of music. It makes you a murderer.

crash 2.0
01-29-2007, 07:43 PM
I never said they were exciting, just that certain movement is starting to get bigger. But one band I actually like from this movement is The Exies. So angry. I love it

AngelOfSorrow
01-29-2007, 07:49 PM
:eek: Death Metal will be next :eek:

ibanezguitars44
01-29-2007, 07:56 PM
maybe bands like hinder and nickelback and stuff. everyone seems to like them a lot, but they aren't as popular as all the pop and rap stuff. maybe in a few years more of them will get discovered and get more popular. i hope it doesnt though, because i never liked either of those bands...lol. but i guess it really doesnt matter. i havent listened to the POPular station in a long time. only in the mornings because they have a cool talk radio show.

yawn
01-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Damn. So, I guess whatever genre it will be, it's guaranteed to be a genre that's already been exhausted in the past and it won't be anything new...?

severed-metal
01-29-2007, 08:14 PM
i think that it will most likely just go around in a circle, as someone has probably said already

pumpkins_rule
01-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Thrash will be the next big thing I think, guitar music wise, after indie that is, bloody arctic monkeys

Arctic Monkeys > Thrash.

crash 2.0
01-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Actually, Trivium, are ressurecting thrash. So that could possibly be the next big thing.

nxtvanhalen
01-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah i agree with either indie or hip-hop. except hip-hop isn't really a type of rock, it's just been famous for a while. In my opinion the two huge genres that kind of battle are hip-hop and "rock" but i guess since we're talking about what's coming after punk/rock i should say indie, even though i don't really know what makes an indie band indie (becasue they have record labels that are called indie...?). either that or emo type music, hardcore crap like that... man... this sucks.

yawn
01-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Ugh...why can't you guys be a bit more optimistic?

Hearing that the next mainstream genre will be a genre that's already been worn out for the past several years just makes me want to die today so I don't have to see such a crappy future.

Kurtsmyhero06
01-30-2007, 08:28 AM
ummm who knows?....i never thought guys borrowing their girlfriends pants and taking away all their make up would get popular....

Satch_Boogie
01-30-2007, 10:51 AM
We need a resurgence of classic rock. That would be awesome.

Gbell3587
01-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Right now, all i seem to see/hear is crappy bands like the kooks, razorlight, stone roses, arctic monkeys etc............I know some people like them, but i hate the ****ers - they all sound the same and they are shite!

walkinbazooka
01-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Actually, Trivium, are ressurecting thrash. So that could possibly be the next big thing.
No.
They're popularizing metalcore.