Veil Of Maya

PDA

View Full Version : Veil Of Maya

SilentSpectacle
01-25-2007, 06:01 AM
Great band.
My band opened for them tonight.
The recordings don't do them justice to their live performance though.

myspace.com/veilofmaya

shai_savant
01-25-2007, 01:10 PM
i love everything about this band, and i've seen them more times than i remember. there recordings are great, and their live performance is even better. they are what is good about metalcore

guitarwannabe16
03-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Some of the best metalcore that has ever graced my ears.

Im not familiar with their discography but I have All Things Set Aside. The intro track is soooooooooooooooo awesome.

Atrius
03-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Saw them live with After The burial a while ago. It was real good.

prisonofreason
03-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Damn this band is pretty good...but yeah the recordings are pretty poor, kinda mushy. Sick band though.

SilentSpectacle
03-29-2007, 12:23 PM
^Yeah. I LOVE the CD but the quality turns me off. It doesn't sound nearly as good as they do.

DWO2100564
03-29-2007, 02:12 PM
wut band r u in silent?

SilentSpectacle
03-29-2007, 06:27 PM
^None right now, why?

Cgc1215
03-29-2007, 11:40 PM
I just know that's a cynic song!

ouchies
03-30-2007, 10:23 AM
I freakin' love this band. i want to see them live so bad

adtthosa
01-14-2008, 12:56 PM
So has anyone heard their new pre production songs yet for their new album? They're awesome, I love this band. The songs are on their myspace.

MANATEEN
01-14-2008, 05:19 PM
the new songs are sick, living in the midwest i get to check them out alot, the new singer is great

dinosaurbrocore
01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
I just know that's a cynic song!
Yes, but that's not where they got the name, take a poetry course, kthx.

(hint: Ralph Waldo Emerson)
I freakin' love this band. i want to see them live so bad
Hell yes.

Zao_89
01-14-2008, 08:16 PM
So has anyone heard their new pre production songs yet for their new album? They're awesome, I love this band. The songs are on their myspace.
It's Torn Away is really good, the other one is okay.

dinosaurbrocore
01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
It sounds like the new album is gonna be another All Things Set Aside, except the vocals sound more natural and there's more early melodic metalcore type melodies.

guitarwannabe16
01-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Solid, solid metalcore band, and Im really excited to hear their new album. Hopefully more production quality will improve their sound.

btbammaniac247
01-15-2008, 11:09 AM
i remember back in the day when they only had 10,000 myspace views hehe. but i still love them a ton

BR00TAL
01-15-2008, 06:58 PM
I remember checking these guys out a while back and thinking they were pretty awful. But damn am I glad I decided to check them out again. Their new songs are brilliant. So tight as musicians and the songs actually progressed. Im actuallty excited for this band and the new album.

dinosaurbrocore
01-15-2008, 07:35 PM
The old stuff progresses a lot, relisten.
Solid, solid metalcore band.
Eh, I'd call them deathcore tbh.

punk_metal
01-16-2008, 12:18 AM
tbh i dislike their new stuff
Ripping off Born of Osiris much?

dinosaurbrocore
01-16-2008, 01:23 AM
Sounding exactly like their previous album much?

btbammaniac247
01-16-2008, 11:06 AM
The old stuff progresses a lot, relisten.

yeah, their old demos like aim for the head sucked, but i really liked the older version of "Your World of Lies"

i have their cd, but i really haven't listened to them lately.
they really have a cool unique sound to them, they have very cool jazz structured riffs in some songs like "The Black Funeral March" and "Mark my Words"

AmericanNervoso
01-20-2008, 03:41 PM
your world of lies
3:16

6_6_6_1_syn
03-03-2008, 01:36 AM
The new song released today on their myspace page, It's Not Safe to Swim Today is ****ing ridiculous. They're an amazing band. The new CD is going to be so technical.

All of their songs are extremely original, they just play a similar style of music. Their breakdowns are also similar in style, but probably the biggest reason as to why you think they sound like BOO is that both bands new CDs are produced by Michael Keene of The Faceless. He has a very unique sound to all of his recordings, and you can hear the similar production in both bands. :rolleyes:

saxaxe
03-03-2008, 01:46 AM
GREAT live show.

6_6_6_1_syn
03-03-2008, 02:56 AM
I really wanna see them live haha. I missed the Sumerianos show and all my friends went. Had to be a sick show.

saxaxe
03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
I really wanna see them live haha. I missed the Sumerianos show and all my friends went. Had to be a sick show.
You have no idea haha. Sea of Treachery was disappointing though.

BR00TAL
03-03-2008, 03:35 PM
I cannot fucking wait for The Common Man's Collapse. These new songs are brilliant. Not just technical virtuosity but plain good songwriting in my opinion.

Frenzied
03-03-2008, 09:28 PM
You have no idea haha. Sea of Treachery was disappointing though.
I thought SOT was pretty solid. *shrug*

I'm looking forward to the new Veil of Maya record.

saxaxe
03-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I thought SOT was pretty solid. *shrug*

I'm looking forward to the new Veil of Maya record.
They were good, but not amazing. I was expecting better haha.

Frenzied
03-03-2008, 11:35 PM
They were good, but not amazing. I was expecting better haha.
Had you seen them before or were judging from their songs on MySpace?

saxaxe
03-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Had you seen them before or were judging from their songs on MySpace?
Judging by songs on their myspace haha.

Frenzied
03-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Oh, that's cool. I was just wondering. I had never listened them before I saw them live. I was pretty impressed.

'StoleN'
03-25-2008, 11:22 PM
their old recordings don't do them justice, but they are an insane band.
their new stuff is just as sick, woo for veil of maya.

Fiddler
03-26-2008, 07:57 AM
new album is immense

MANATEEN
03-26-2008, 11:13 AM

get serious dude, VOM has been doing this **** long before born of osiris

'StoleN'
04-01-2008, 10:16 PM
downloading the collapse of the common man as we speak..
god i'm so ****ing pumped.

Frenzied
04-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I can't stand All Things Set Aside. But The Common Man's Collapse is the jam. Great musicianship. Vast improvement, in my opinion.

saxaxe
04-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Just found out I'm seein em again with Winds of Plague, Stick To Your Guns, and As Blood Runs Black. Say what you want about the rest of the bands, I'm excited.

'StoleN'
04-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Just found out I'm seein em again with Winds of Plague, Stick To Your Guns, and As Blood Runs Black. Say what you want about the rest of the bands, I'm excited.

lucky bastard, i'm pretty sure they aren't coming to minnesota.

Tim Remains
04-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Someone please send me a link?

KnownUnknown
04-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah, me too?

saxaxe
04-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Check the first post on the first page.

'StoleN'
04-02-2008, 06:06 PM
both of you PM me, i'll send you a link.

punk_metal
04-03-2008, 01:16 AM
both of you PM me, i'll send you a link.
You have good vocals :eek:

chris_122
04-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I saw these dudes last night. One of the best metalcore bands I've seen in a looooong time.

I was very surprised when I heard their bassist just turned 17 and they're guitarist just turned 32.

Very talented band.

'StoleN'
04-03-2008, 08:55 PM
You have good vocals :eek:

thanks man.

@thread.
i got their new album on the 1st, i've listened to it 10 times through since then. the album is so ****ing immense. it's like born of osiris and the faceless blended together, which would make sense because The Faceless' guitarist produced both The New Reign and The Common Man's Collapse. In fact, in "All Eyes Ahead" about half way through, the riff is almost exactly the same as the one in "An Autopsy" by the faceless.. except in a different key. and there was a couple other spots on the album in which nothing comes to mind.. but anyway. my favorite songs in order are.. it's not safe to swim today, mark the lines, crawl back, all eyes ahead.

6_6_6_1_syn
04-06-2008, 02:09 AM
The Common Man's Collapse is absolutely incredible. I haven't stopped listening to it since the day i got it. I just wish they were a little more well known and got more credit but as long as they have breakdowns (which are sick as **** by the way) people would rather stereotype them than recognize them for their pure technical genius. I've been trying to spread the word about them as much as possible.

pmeg568c
04-06-2008, 11:26 PM
i just listened to this today for the first time, assumed i wouldnt like it.

for what they do, its not bad. they have a lot of interesting melodic stuff going on. the breakdowns are pretty lame, but they are definetley up there when it comes to this genre

punk_metal
04-07-2008, 03:43 AM
i just listened to this today for the first time, assumed i wouldnt like it.

for what they do, its not bad. they have a lot of interesting melodic stuff going on. the breakdowns are pretty lame, but they are definetley up there when it comes to this genre
Actually i think they bring new hope for breakdowns..
:peace:

'StoleN'
04-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Actually i think they bring new hope for breakdowns..
:peace:

me too :p
it's not the just the generic chug chug chugchugchug crap.
when VOM does breakdowns, they're actually remotely interesting to listen too.

6_6_6_1_syn
04-08-2008, 03:02 AM
me too :p
it's not the just the generic chug chug chugchugchug crap.
when VOM does breakdowns, they're actually remotely interesting to listen too.

Agreed. Veil of Maya and Born of Osiris have the sickest breakdowns IMO. :D

'StoleN'
04-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Agreed. Veil of Maya and Born of Osiris have the sickest breakdowns IMO. :D

VOM > BOO

pmeg568c
04-08-2008, 08:39 PM
actually, it is generic chug chug, its just in a different time signature. its still the same open chord. i like to hear bands that dont use one chord for an entire breakdown

6_6_6_1_syn
04-09-2008, 01:20 AM
VOM > BOO

I agree with this statement also. :D

actually, it is generic chug chug, its just in a different time signature. its still the same open chord. i like to hear bands that dont use one chord for an entire breakdown

If you were a little more open-minded and gave their breakdowns a chance you'd realize that they use tons of different chords and chord progressions in their breakdowns. Almost none of VOM's breakdowns rely entirely on open chugs. ;)

pmeg568c
04-09-2008, 02:21 AM
i listened to common man's collapse in its entireity.

wounds - this is what im talking about. the breakdown is so repetitive. its one chord

crawl back - the breakdown starting at around 1:00 is the same thing. same chord, gets boring.

mark the lines - this one is better, starting at 1:05 its decent

its not safe to swim today - at :43 its sounds like it could be interchangable with the first two. same chord, really boring. same thing happens at like 2:12

entry level exit wounds - this whole process is making me laugh at how similar these all sound. this song has a breakdown starting at :53 that is the same chord, then they go into a botch rip off with that lame dissonant chord played on the g and b strings.

pillars - this song is basically a huge breakdown. it starts off pretty good, they mix it up a little, but the rest of the song is just straight open chugging, which is wicked repetitive and boring.

we bow in its aura - this song has a breakdown starting at 1:13. again, open chord chuggin, except i like the melodic thing going on over it. still my point is already more then proven. hah then the breakdown at the end of this song uses two chords, then 3 chords, then back to one again. same chugging boringness.

all eyes look ahead - at :56 there is a breakdown, i like this one though because its heavier, and different, its like offbeat way more then the previous ones. but then it ends with a one chord boring chugfest.

sever the voices - at 1:45 there is a decent breakdown, although it over uses that lame dissonant chord and its still one chord chugging. then it gets heavier and slower with some other high notes. a little better.

it's torn away - there is a quick breakdown at :35 that is still open chord chugging, but a cooler rhythm. at 2:37 on this is a really boring one. first there is a melody over the chugs and then it slows down to a generic breakdown you would hear in a really bad deathcore band

go listen yourself. your statement is entirely false. in fact, almost ALL of this bands breakdowns rely on open chugs. im not close minded, im just stating the truth. at least i like the band somewhat.

tomohawkjoe
04-09-2008, 02:29 AM
i listened to common man's collapse in its entireity. go listen yourself. your statement is entirely false. in fact, almost ALL of this bands breakdowns rely on open chugs. im not close minded, im just stating the truth. at least i like the band somewhat.

snap

'StoleN'
04-09-2008, 08:34 AM

wounds - this is what im talking about. the breakdown is so repetitive. its one chord

crawl back - the breakdown starting at around 1:00 is the same thing. same chord, gets boring.

its not safe to swim today - at :43 its sounds like it could be interchangable with the first two. same chord, really boring. same thing happens at like 2:12

entry level exit wounds - this whole process is making me laugh at how similar these all sound. this song has a breakdown starting at :53 that is the same chord, then they go into a botch rip off with that lame dissonant chord played on the g and b strings.

pillars - this song is basically a huge breakdown. it starts off pretty good, they mix it up a little, but the rest of the song is just straight open chugging, which is wicked repetitive and boring.

we bow in its aura - this song has a breakdown starting at 1:13. again, open chord chuggin, except i like the melodic thing going on over it. still my point is already more then proven. hah then the breakdown at the end of this song uses two chords, then 3 chords, then back to one again. same chugging boringness.

all eyes look ahead - at :56 there is a breakdown, i like this one though because its heavier, and different, its like offbeat way more then the previous ones. but then it ends with a one chord boring chugfest.

sever the voices - at 1:45 there is a decent breakdown, although it over uses that lame dissonant chord and its still one chord chugging. then it gets heavier and slower with some other high notes. a little better.

it's torn away - there is a quick breakdown at :35 that is still open chord chugging, but a cooler rhythm. at 2:37 on this is a really boring one. first there is a melody over the chugs and then it slows down to a generic breakdown you would hear in a really bad deathcore band

go listen yourself. your statement is entirely false. in fact, almost ALL of this bands breakdowns rely on open chugs. im not close minded, im just stating the truth. at least i like the band somewhat.

taking a 9th listen to this album, paying attention to the breakdowns..
i agree to an extent. the breakdowns aren't as bad/boring as most deathcore/metalcore bands out there.. but still they are quite unneeded.

guitarwannabe16
04-09-2008, 05:50 PM

I might be the only person who agrees with this here. I was really disappointed in their breakdowns because, like pmeg accurately pointed out, its just one chord broken up into these like staccato accents. They sound cool if you do them in like one maybe two songs, but their in like every song with no variation.

That being said, I found most of the riffs in the first half of the album entertaining. They've certainly improved alot from their "all things set aside"

6_6_6_1_syn
04-09-2008, 09:54 PM
to pmeg568c (quote won't work for some reason :confused: ):

I don't have the time to disprove your statement completely because I don't really care if you like them, as long as they make music I enjoy. But I will say that if you listen to Wounds again, you'll notice that the breakdown is actually an interesting chord progression. Sometimes it's difficult to distinguish low notes and chords from each other due to the production and tone of the cd. The same applies for many other songs on this cd. I do think its cool that you can appreciate other aspects of their music, and I see your point, but I just want you to realize that their breakdowns aren't generic in the least bit. :)

And also...those dissonant chords aren't really a Botch rip-off. I love Botch, but many other artists in this and other styles of music use those chords. Often times they're overused, but I think Veil of Maya uses them nicely in context.

It's all a matter of personal preference, and I'm not going to sit here and argue about who's opinion is better.

pmeg568c
04-09-2008, 11:34 PM
no, it isnt a matter of personal preference. im not saying you cant like them, i dont care, thats cool, they are a decent band i just get annoyed by ignorance. they have generic breakdowns, get over it, i listened to wounds again and what you said is not true. its the same freaking chord. i can hear it, im a sophomore music major in college. and i highly doubt it is different on the other songs. bottom line is it sounds the same. plus why would they want their progressions to sound like an open chord if they arent? to make people think they are worse?

6_6_6_1_syn
04-10-2008, 02:23 AM
no, it isnt a matter of personal preference. im not saying you cant like them, i dont care, thats cool, they are a decent band i just get annoyed by ignorance. they have generic breakdowns, get over it, i listened to wounds again and what you said is not true. its the same freaking chord. i can hear it, im a sophomore music major in college. and i highly doubt it is different on the other songs. bottom line is it sounds the same. plus why would they want their progressions to sound like an open chord if they arent? to make people think they are worse?

Haha no. Michael Keene of The Faceless produces them, as well as Born of Osiris, and he has is own unique style and sound to his recordings. I think the recordings sound great, and I really don't care much about being able to distinguish between low notes. :rolleyes:

But I guarantee if you go back and listen to Wounds one more time, with a set of nice headphones or a stereo system of decent quality, you will hear the different chords. It's not very hidden to my ears. I can easily make out different chords. It might be easier to notice the different chords in We Bow in its Aura at 1:13.

I'm not interested in your music education or what major you are. I can hear it too, and I'm a 15 year old kid sitting at my computer with studio moniter headphones. That doesn't make me any less reliable as I can distinctly hear that these breakdowns aren't just open chugs. I'll admit they're not as melodic or varied as your hardcore punk (which I dont have a problem with), but all I'm saying is that they are in fact, different chords.

guitarwannabe16
04-10-2008, 06:06 AM
Sorry man, he's right on this one. They are in fact different chords, but I do agree with you that it seems pointless to use them since they sound so similar.

And they still are pretty generic breakdowns, enjoy them if you must.

zigz407
04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
I got the Common Man's Collapse, i've only heard a couple of songs, but so far I like it.

s/ash
04-21-2008, 08:41 AM

NO they were just recorded in the same studio(sumarian records)

no offense to the engineer but he only knows how to do the same metal sound

'StoleN'
04-21-2008, 04:10 PM

uh it's called a producer.. and his name is Micheal Keene from The Faceless.. also signed to Sumarian. It's not that he doesn't know how to make a different sound, there is just a specific sound that he's trying to capture on the record.

punk_metal
04-21-2008, 08:54 PM

I'd wanna ignore that comment because its invalid

Engineer lulz

Martyr's Prayer
06-05-2008, 02:44 PM
I was told about this band a few weeks ago and downloaded Collapse, its really good. It's Not Safe To Swim Today is my favorite, definitely has some of their best riffs. Out of BOO, VOM and The Faceless I think I like VOM the best. The smaller melodies they put into their guitar work are really good.

Are the breakdowns as tight live? I mean I know they sound awesome live but doing a full set with breakdowns like that in every song they can't possibly be as tight as the CD. Either way I want to see them live.

tomohawkjoe
06-05-2008, 03:48 PM
got into them recently. Common man's Collapse is pretty awesome.

soccermom
06-05-2008, 03:52 PM
I like some of the songs of 'Common man...', I don't think it is generic, in comparison with other melodic metalcore bands. Not exactly a fresh of air, but out of the ****storm that is most melodic metalcore bands.

'StoleN'
06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
I was told about this band a few weeks ago and downloaded Collapse, its really good. It's Not Safe To Swim Today is my favorite, definitely has some of their best riffs. Out of BOO, VOM and The Faceless I think I like VOM the best. The smaller melodies they put into their guitar work are really good.

Are the breakdowns as tight live? I mean I know they sound awesome live but doing a full set with breakdowns like that in every song they can't possibly be as tight as the CD. Either way I want to see them live.

I've seen some live footage, they were really good.
Never got off time, really tight band.

I like VOM and The Faceless equally, BOO bores me.

XBodomX
06-05-2008, 05:22 PM
I haven't gotten bored of this band (or Born Of Osiris) yet. Usually I get bored of bands fast, but I've been listening to these guys nonestop for the past 4 months

diminishedtobme
06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Just heard the Common Mans Collapse and I like, does anyone know where I can find the demo stuff. Please dont tell anyone in the metal forum.

zigz407
06-13-2008, 03:18 PM
I heard you used to be able to download them from their myspace, but it's not on there anymore. I'll try and find a link.

tomohawkjoe
06-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Just heard the Common Mans Collapse and I like, does anyone know where I can find the demo stuff. Please dont tell anyone in the metal forum.
All Things Set Aside? I'm just asking because I'm not sure if they released a demo before that.

dminishedthingy
06-13-2008, 03:41 PM
busted!!!

diminishedtobme
06-13-2008, 06:12 PM
^Damn, my dirty secret is out.

Tomohawkjoe; I think thats the one, I remember feeling down w/ that too.

'StoleN'
06-13-2008, 06:36 PM

YOUR IN BIG TROUBLE MISTER!

tomohawkjoe
06-14-2008, 12:26 AM
^Damn, my dirty secret is out.

Tomohawkjoe; I think thats the one, I remember feeling down w/ that too.
Check Your PM

'StoleN'
06-14-2008, 01:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNVzB-1Of_w

My vocal cover of It's Not Safe To Swim Today.

Meatball200
06-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Decent quality multi-shot live vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkU9LMD13Gc

Theres more on the guys profile

Annihilator666
06-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Veil Of Maya are one of the few core bands I really like.
I'm stoked to see them on the Canadian Summer Slaughter Tour.

Z_cup_boy
06-15-2008, 05:46 AM
Great band.
My band opened for them tonight.
The recordings don't do them justice to their live performance though.

myspace.com/veilofmaya
oh man you're the only person I've met who knows them!
pretty sweet band xD

'StoleN'
06-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Technically you didn't meet him.

zigz407
07-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Bump because VoM = teh secks

Selkies921
07-05-2008, 11:02 PM
The melodic riff played halfway in It's not Safe To Swim Today is the sickest thing ever

zigz407
07-06-2008, 10:36 AM
That whole song rapes my ear pussies.

'StoleN'
07-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I like It's Torn Away.

zigz407
07-06-2008, 10:12 PM
You are just trying to get banned aren't you?

This band doesn't even use brees anyways, you should listen to them sometimes instead of being a narrow minded twat and form your own opinion.

*reported* (for the third time)

DEDIT: Dude's post was deleted so everyone can disregard my post.

DestructoX
02-14-2009, 04:10 PM
I heard they are going to be recording a new LP after their current tour D:
Is this true?