for your tuning questions

PDA

View Full Version : for your tuning questions

Pages : [1] 2

thebassmaster
08-08-2003, 07:17 AM
okay, the last one had about 15 or 16 different tunings in so steve merged it with the thread in the archive to keep them together and im going to start again..

the link to all the other tunings is here ......

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18162

and, fighter-pilot , i answered your question in there too

so if you have any more questions, or need help with a tuning, could you post it here please?

thanks

matt

fighter_pilot
08-09-2003, 04:17 PM
hehe no question this time....just wanna say THANKS MAN!! u're a great help to us idiots lol

thanks matt
ciao

Zamboni
08-14-2003, 09:32 PM
yes, much thanks bassmaster. :cheers:

scroungemonkeys
08-14-2003, 09:39 PM
ok I now this one is kinda stupid, but I recently got the creed "weathered" book and some of the tunings throw me off mainly this one...

DADADD....

the thing is that the B string is tuned up to a D and I was wondering if it would be better to just switch strings so that there is less tension on the B string or what cuz I don't wanna like break a string while tuning that would be kinda embarissing...

any help is appreciated

thebassmaster
08-15-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by scroungemonkeys
ok I now this one is kinda stupid, but I recently got the creed "weathered" book and some of the tunings throw me off mainly this one...

DADADD....

the thing is that the B string is tuned up to a D and I was wondering if it would be better to just switch strings so that there is less tension on the B string or what cuz I don't wanna like break a string while tuning that would be kinda embarissing...

any help is appreciated

hmmmm well, tuning to d from b if 1 and a half steps up. if you dont want to do that, the only way is to tune to b, f#, b, f#, b, b ( dropped everything oone and half steps down, apart from the b string) and whack a capo on the third fret.

i have never tuned one and a half steps up before. i think ill try it now......... okay, i managed it fine and i tuned it to a d

play the 7th fret on low e and open a, then retune the low e string
play the 7th fret on d and open g, then retune the g string
play the 3rd fret on b and open e, then retunt the high e string
play open high e (now a d) and open b, then retune the b (im not guaranteeing responsibility for the string, i hardly ever drop tune, but it seemed okay when i try it)

ok, someone double check and point out if i have made any errors

Tijy
09-12-2003, 08:30 PM
I would like to play sum linkin park songs but i dunno how the **** to tune it into Drop D tuning... ne ideas?

Yes, i know im an idiot

thebassmaster
09-14-2003, 08:46 AM
you mean D A D G B E ?

if so, play the 7th fret on the E string and open A and retune the E string till it sounds the same as the a string and hey presto.

enjoy ;)

cambo_Korn
10-07-2003, 02:59 AM
I love to play metallica songs but i can't get the drop C tuning figured out, so i can't get the right sound at the moment. a little help please.......

thebassmaster
10-07-2003, 03:52 AM
drop c (c g c f a d)

from normal tuning, play the third fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the third fret of e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e

play the seventh fret on your low e string and open a (which now should be g). detune the e till it sounds the same as the a string. the tuning should now be C G C F A D.

cambo_Korn
10-08-2003, 01:20 AM
Thanx allot mate!

Works like a treat

dead_kennedy
10-09-2003, 12:40 PM
hey, trying to get this dashboard song.

tuning: Db Ab Db Ab Db Db

could you help me out.

thankx :cheers:

thebassmaster
10-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by dead_kennedy
hey, trying to get this dashboard song.

tuning: Db Ab Db Ab Db Db

could you help me out.

thankx :cheers:

i can ;)

oh, you want me to do it for you? :p:

Db Ab Db Ab Db Db

1)play the 4th fret on low e and open a, then retune the a string.
2)play the 7th fret on low e and open a, then retune the e string
3) play the 5th fret on a, and open d, then retune the d string.
4) play the 7th fret on your d and open g, then retune the g string
5)play the 5th fret on g, and open b, then retune the b string.
6)play open b and open high e then retune the high e string.

i take it the b and e are meant to be the same notes?

and could someone double check, or dead kennedy, after youve tried it, could you clarify it? thanks :)

Apokryphos
10-25-2003, 10:35 PM
After looking all over this whole forum I can't find one of the more basic tunings....Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb....Could someone please tell me how to get tuned to this?
Oh and I know tune it down half a step...but does that mean that I tune down to the 6th fret? With all the strings?
Should they sound almost the same as standard but a little heavier ?

thebassmaster
10-26-2003, 05:58 AM
tuning down half a step (d# g# c# f# a# d#)

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom.

and you are half right with your suggestion. you can do it this way to.

1) play the sixth fret on E and open A, and retune the E.
2) tune the rest to the fifth fret(with the exception of b, which is the forth) starting from fifth on E and open A, then retune the A, fifth fret on A, then open D, then retune the d, fifth on d and open g, then retune the g, forth on g and open b, then retune the b, fifth on b and high e, then retune high e.

hope that helps :)

dead_kennedy
10-26-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by thebassmaster
hmmmm well, tuning to d from b if 1 and a half steps up. if you dont want to do that, the only way is to tune to b, f#, b, f#, b, b ( dropped everything oone and half steps down, apart from the b string) and whack a capo on the third fret.

i have never tuned one and a half steps up before. i think ill try it now......... okay, i managed it fine and i tuned it to a d

play the 7th fret on low e and open a, then retune the low e string
play the 7th fret on d and open g, then retune the g string
play the 3rd fret on b and open e, then retunt the high e string
play open high e (now a d) and open b, then retune the b (im not guaranteeing responsibility for the string, i hardly ever drop tune, but it seemed okay when i try it)

ok, someone double check and point out if i have made any errors

sorry man im a little new to new tunings, so do you tune down so its lower of tune up so its higher, then i will tell you if it works.

:cheers:

FatKidsOnMopeds</3
10-26-2003, 04:38 PM
i can ;)

Db Ab Db Ab Db Db

1)play the 4th fret on low e and open a, then retune the a string.
2)play the 7th fret on low e and open a, then retune the e string
3) play the 5th fret on a, and open d, then retune the d string.
4) play the 7th fret on your d and open g, then retune the g string
5)play the 5th fret on g, and open b, then retune the b string.
6)play open b and open high e then retune the high e string.

i take it the b and e are meant to be the same notes?

and could someone double check, or dead kennedy, after youve tried it, could you clarify it? thanks :)

First, you will tune the top string. Tune that string to the lower octive using the 4th fret on your A string. That will tune your E to db. Then tune your 3rd sting to the next octive of Db. To tune your A string to Ab, tune it to the third sting. Now that you have the first 3 strings done now comes the easy part. Tune the 4th string to the same note as the third. Then the 5th and 6th strings to the next highest octive of db using your third db string.

thats from the dashboard site :p: but matts is right to

that tuning kicks so much ****ing ass man! :D

shantfran
11-02-2003, 01:37 AM
drop c (c g c f a d)

from normal tuning, play the third fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the third fret of e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e

play the seventh fret on your low e string and open a (which now should be g). detune the e till it sounds the same as the a string. the tuning should now be C G C F A D.

How would you do the drop C tunning with an automatic/electric tuner????,

Thanx!!!!

thebassmaster
11-02-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by shantfran
How would you do the drop C tunning with an automatic/electric tuner????,

Thanx!!!!

i take it your tuning has the notes e a d g b e ?

well then.
1) play the 4th fret on the low e and tune that to e
2) play the second fret on the A string and tune that to A
3)play the second fret on the D string and tune that to D
4)play the second fret on the G string and tunen that to a G
5)play the second fret on the B string and tune that to a B
6)play the second fret on the high E sting and tune that to an E

C G C F A D.

Minaret
12-06-2003, 12:21 PM
how do you tune your lowest E string down to a D (Bass)

thebassmaster
12-08-2003, 04:25 AM
play the 7th fret on your E and open A, like this

A---0-
E-7---

and then retune the e till it sounds the same as the A

weasel
12-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Someone on the other thread said that IRIS by Goo Goo Dolls was tuned DADDAD, but I'm prettyr sure it's actually DADDDD. So, can someone tell me which one is the good tuning, and how to do it?

BongHead
12-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Righty, Drop G
Im fine with getting there, just need to know which ones right
Told it was GCG... an so on(to wrecked to work it out, sorry)But i got this book that ses its GCDGBe...(bottom 2 down, the rest in standard) just clear up wich is right colud ya?
Cheers

YouKnowYourRite
12-31-2003, 06:53 AM
whats the lowest possible tuning

dane1234
01-01-2004, 09:09 PM
how do i tune my guitar with my chromatic tuner like this:

Db-Ab-Db-Db-Db-db

my chromatic tuner dousnt have a Db or a Ab what should i do and what does the little db's mean???????

thebassmaster
01-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by BongHead
Righty, Drop G
Im fine with getting there, just need to know which ones right
Told it was GCG... an so on(to wrecked to work it out, sorry)But i got this book that ses its GCDGBe...(bottom 2 down, the rest in standard) just clear up wich is right colud ya?
Cheers

you sure the bottom two arent tuned up? e to a g will be incredibly lose?

thebassmaster
01-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by dane1234
how do i tune my guitar with my chromatic tuner like this:

Db-Ab-Db-Db-Db-db

my chromatic tuner dousnt have a Db or a Ab what should i do and what does the little db's mean???????
ok

1st fret on e, tune to e,
1st fret on a tune to a
1st fret on d, tune to d
6th fret on g, tune to g
..... give me a minute, my heads not thinking straight, ill edit that string later
1st fret on e, tune to e

Jerk
02-14-2004, 03:52 PM
I can play All apologies by nirvana but I dont know how to get the tuning.It says "Low/High Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb
".Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thebassmaster
02-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Jerk
I can play All apologies by nirvana but I dont know how to get the tuning.It says "Low/High Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb
".Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tuning down half a step (Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb)

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. play the seventh fret on low e and open a (now should be tuned to Ab) and retune low E

Flash
03-07-2004, 01:54 AM
Yay i got drop c tunning now for my bass. :cheers:

But the strings rattle like crazy. :(

thebassmaster
03-07-2004, 08:05 AM
you could try highering your strings? then retuning? that may create less rattle.

Jerk
03-13-2004, 01:31 AM
BRON YR AUR STOMP tuning would be great.
DGDGBD
please help master of the bass..

thebassmaster
03-13-2004, 08:15 AM
wow, thats one weird tuning.

firstly, play the 7th fret on low e and open a, and retune the e string
then, play the 5th fret on low e and open a, and then retune the a string
then play the 3rd fret on the b string one open high e, then retune the e string

Jerk
03-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Half a step down?
Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

thebassmaster
03-19-2004, 07:03 AM
tuning down half a step (d# g# c# f# a# d#) (thats right, just used sharps instead of flats)

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom

Flash
03-24-2004, 05:56 PM
cool, i tuned my bass a step lower by using that method.
and i raised my strings so theres no rattleing.

Tijmen
04-12-2004, 06:36 AM
Bassmaster is using frets to tune. This is a very bad way of tuning as pressing a fret makes the note slightly higher (unnoticable), doing this over a lot of strings will result in a detuned guitar. To tune a guitar to standard tuning use this guideline to tune it in a much better way.

1. Tune the low E string to a piano, tuner or another guitar.
2. 3. 4. touch the low E string at the 5th fret and play it to get a (5) harmonic and do the same at the 7th fret of the A string and tune it so they sound the same.
repeat these steps up strings until you have tuned the G string.
5. Now play 4th fret on G string and tune the open B string to sound the same
6. Now play both open E strings at the same time and tune the high e string to sound in tune.
7. Play the 7th fret on the high e string and the B string at the same time to check whether tuning is correct.
8. Play a chord to check whether tuning is correct.

thebassmaster
04-12-2004, 08:51 AM
thats odd, i never tuned it to standard tuning anywhere in my last three threads, just thought people could do it using a tuner :p:

one problem with your method though, im doing this for people that have no way of drop tuning other than frets. if a person had a piano, i would tell them to use that, it is a guideline for people who have no way of reaching a dopped or detuned tuning.

so while you methods sound, it doesnt put anyone in a dropped tuning without a piano, i mean if the tuning was down half a step, a whole step, or something which keeps the same symmettry as regular tuning, you could drop the string then do the harmonics way.

however, i prefer the frets way, if its unoticable, why change ;) i admit actually, thinking about it, when i first started tuning by ear, i could never end up with the low and high e strings two octaves apart. it just comes with practice. if i was going to say anything from you post, it would be.

if you do use the frets method, you could do tijmen's 6,7, and 8 steps to make sure you have tuned it okay.

if you use the harmonic method, make sure you can play harmonics :p:

Tijmen
04-13-2004, 02:39 AM
You can tune the harmonics way for every time you would use a fitfth fret on a lower string to tune a higher string. Also, why not buy a chromatic tuner that can tune to any dropped tunings, makes life easier. Or learn to tune by ear, but i suppose this is the guitar and bass basics forum, so yeah.

Anyway, bassmaster, you described ways to tune to half a step down, or even a drop D tuning, the D,G,B and e strings can be tuned my way in those type of tunings.

thebassmaster
04-13-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Tijmen

Anyway, bassmaster, you described ways to tune to half a step down, or even a drop D tuning, the D,G,B and e strings can be tuned my way in those type of tunings.

can you do g to b since its on the forth fret, forgive me if this is a daft question but im no intriqued with this method of tuning. dont get me wrong, im not calling your method crap, its just a matter of preference.

Tijmen
04-14-2004, 08:26 AM
No, thats why i said tune the g to b using frets, also, youre probably right its not the best way of tuning guitars, but on bass however its the best way to tune standard tuning.

turinbrakes
04-16-2004, 09:44 AM
did you know tijmen is a dutch name

Tijmen
04-20-2004, 01:22 AM
Hehe, that's coz I'm from Holland, dude. I live in Cairo, Egypt though.

shantfran
05-04-2004, 08:12 AM
okay, the last one had about 15 or 16 different tunings in so steve merged it with the thread in the archive to keep them together and im going to start again..

the link to all the other tunings is here ......

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18162

and, fighter-pilot , i answered your question in there too

so if you have any more questions, or need help with a tuning, could you post it here please?

thanks

matt

Hey,
How would you tune your guitar to (Drop D tuning half a step down), with an Automatic/Electric Tunner????

Thanks!!!!

thebassmaster
05-04-2004, 09:03 AM
is the tuning c# g# c# f# a# d# ?

Uome
05-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Is there any pack of strings for Open E tuning. (Ebeg#be)
That's Open E, right?

shantfran
05-05-2004, 08:17 AM
is the tuning c# g# c# f# a# d# ?

Hey,
How would you tune your guitar to (Drop D tuning half a step down), with an Automatic/Electric Tunner????

Thanks!!!!

Tijmen
05-05-2004, 11:30 AM
you would look on the screen to check each string corresponds with the note on there. However, if you dont have a chromatic tuner use some of the bassmaster's tricks. Btw, i said you had to use frets from G to B, however, the <4> harmonic on G is the same as the <5> harmonic on B. I must say I wouldnt use this method of tuning on acoustic guitars as the sound has such a low volume it is hard to tune.

lpaulgib
05-10-2004, 07:56 PM
just for kicks, has anyone ever tuned using like the 17th fret of the low E? I tried that today. It's pretty cool.

Fc-99/J
05-10-2004, 08:47 PM

zerospace
05-22-2004, 10:37 AM
This is a total dumb question, but...

With relative standard tuning, how do you know your 6th string is in tune or not? All the other string tunings are based on that one, so if it's off, they'll all be off...So how do you make the 6th string right?

WarriorXT
06-21-2004, 11:23 AM
ok, i think im screwed.

i d/led AP Guitar Tuner, it worked like a charm, ecept, when i tuned for Drop C, the 1st and second strings(from te top) sound exactly the same. they are both the C that the 1st string should be. can someone help? i just need directions to retune drop c if the top string is right. thanx.

jackio1986
06-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by zerospace
This is a total dumb question, but...

With relative standard tuning, how do you know your 6th string is in tune or not? All the other string tunings are based on that one, so if it's off, they'll all be off...So how do you make the 6th string right?

the point is, its all relative to that string so you cant check its right unless you can tell when somethings an E, unlikely for most people, therefor to get perfectly in tune you need a tuner.

WarriorXT
06-22-2004, 04:43 PM
UPDATE: i figured out that the 2nd string from the top was right, not the top. then i realized that one octave (C-C) would be 8 frets, so i tuned the top string at 8 to the open 3rd string. success!! aerials sounds perfect!

Paroxysm
07-19-2004, 07:01 AM
Could someone (thebassmaster ;) ) show me how to Drop D tuning half a setp down using the fret technique thingy? I don't a tuner at this moment. Thanks.

thebassmaster
07-21-2004, 05:29 AM
lol, C# G# C# F# A# D# ??? you mean?

Paroxysm
07-21-2004, 06:23 PM
^^^ (hit myself in the head). Nevermind, I didn't know do it from Drop C.

GuitarN00b
08-04-2004, 09:56 PM
drop c tuning?

snowmanbs
08-07-2004, 01:26 PM
how do i do this tuning Open G/C tuning, down 1/2 step:
(low to high) Cb-Gb-Db-Gb-Bb-Db

thebassmaster
08-07-2004, 11:14 PM
drop c.....

play 9th fret on e string and open a, retune e
play 7th fret on e and open a, retune a
play 5th on a and open d, retune d
play 5th on d and opeh g, retune g
play 4tth on d, and open b, and retune b
play 5th on b and open e, and retune e

Originally posted by snowmanbs
how do i do this tuning Open G/C tuning, down 1/2 step:
(low to high) Cb-Gb-Db-Gb-Bb-Db

ahhhhh the Cb, otherwose known as b

play 10 fret on e string and open a, retune e
play 7th fret on e and open a, retune a
play 7th fret on a and open d, retune d
play 5th fret on d and open g, retune g
play 4th fret on g and open b, retune b
play 3rd frent on b, and open e, retune high e

and as usual, could someone check these?

SOADdevil
08-09-2004, 10:31 AM
hey, does anyone know how i'd tune to drop d on this tuner??-
http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=GA30&category_id=5

thankies.

TGM
08-12-2004, 02:44 AM
One of my teachers at school showed me this tuning yesterday, but he only knew what three of the strings were.

The E, B, and e Strings are all tuned to C. I think it's some kind of open tuning, it's good for slide or just barring a fret.

Does anyone have any idea about this tuning? Sorry I can give any more information.

sodapop
08-12-2004, 02:48 PM
how about the dashboard confessional song 'Again i go unnoticed'....i totally dont understand what it means by ddDAD (all flat) for the tuning...I'm new to guitar and all so if you could maybe interpret that for me...thanks

TGM
08-13-2004, 08:21 PM
It's not open C...

Also, the guy told me that it was used in Indian music, if that helps.

RedTears
08-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by sodapop
how about the dashboard confessional song 'Again i go unnoticed'....i totally dont understand what it means by ddDAD (all flat) for the tuning...I'm new to guitar and all so if you could maybe interpret that for me...thanks

I dunno. Probably cause my guitar has 6 strings.

thebassmaster
08-18-2004, 10:00 AM
woah, i missed a lot

Originally posted by SOADdevil
hey, does anyone know how i'd tune to drop d on this tuner??-
http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=GA30&category_id=5

thankies.

set to 4d, play 12th fret on low e, and retune to d.

next...

Originally posted by sodapop

find the tuning, and let me know......

and TGM, im looking into your question now :)

Minaret
08-18-2004, 11:51 AM
db
db
Db
Ab
Db

is the tuning to again i go unnoticed
give me a moment and i'll post how to tune it

Minaret
08-18-2004, 12:03 PM
tune the low E so that the 8th fret sounds like the A string
tune the A so that the 6th fret sounds like the D string
tune the D so that the 7th fret sounds like the G string
tune the G so that the 11th fret sounds like the B string
tune the B so that the 2nd fret sounds like the E string
tune the E so that the open string sounds like the string below

thebassmaster
08-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Minaret
tune the low E so that the 8th fret sounds like the A string
tune the A so that the 6th fret sounds like the D string
tune the D so that the 7th fret sounds like the G string
tune the G so that the 11th fret sounds like the B string
tune the B so that the 2nd fret sounds like the E string
tune the E so that the open string sounds like the string below

If my prediction is correct, that gives

Db Ab C C D D

i could be wrong, but i think you may have to look at that again.

TGM
08-19-2004, 03:01 AM

and TGM, im looking into your question now :)

If you can find it you will be my tuning god. If not, I'll have to PM Cas. Tell me where you found it if you did, it's a great sounding tuning.

sodapop
08-20-2004, 11:17 AM
thanks

livin_a_lie1
08-22-2004, 07:03 PM
what are the altenative tunings for a 12-string?

jambay19
08-28-2004, 03:35 AM
how should i tune to EADGBD.....

thanks

pozzobon13
08-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Wow, thats great! I was just trying to find how to drop down half a step and couldnt fiugre it out, this helps tons! thanks!

porkfishweasel
08-31-2004, 02:59 PM
thank god i found this i been lookin for tuning tips

porkfishweasel
08-31-2004, 03:01 PM
and was yelled at when i posted my own..........anger hatred and mor hate torwards those "noob-flamers"

SU[[U!3US
09-04-2004, 02:59 AM
how do i get this tuning?

C# F# B E G# C#

thebassmaster
09-04-2004, 09:22 PM
1. play the 8th fret on e and open a, then retune the e string/
2. play the 5th fret on e and open a and retune the a string
3. play the 5th fret on a and open d and retune the d string
4. play the 5th fret on d and open g and retune the g string
5. play the 4th fret on g and open b and retune the b string
6. play the 5th fret on b and open e and retune the e string

UsedMuse00
09-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Hey bassmaster i need to know how to tune
C# G# C# F# A# G# on a standard E A D G B e tuner and also
C# G# C# F# A# D# also if i could have
B F# B E G# C# on a tuner

thanks in advance

tylerishot
09-18-2004, 08:34 PM
see im too lazy to tune the guitar myself, so is c the same as D double-flat? not sure... and thanks

stickyhomer
09-21-2004, 04:41 PM
how do you tune all the strings down a full step DGCFAD with a tuner?

i have a korg GT3
http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=GT3&category_id=5

thebassmaster
09-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by UsedMuse00
Hey bassmaster i need to know how to tune
C# G# C# F# A# G# on a standard E A D G B e tuner and also
C# G# C# F# A# D# also if i could have

thanks in advance

C# G# C# F# A# D#

play 3rd fret on low e string, and tune to E
play 1st fret on a string, and tune to a
play 1st fret on d string, and tune to d
play 1st fret on g string, and tune to g
play 1st fret on b string, and tune to b
play 1st fret on e string, and tune to e

the other two i wouldnt recommend without a seven string. However, after ive gone for a cigerette, i will do the drop B tuning for you.

and yours too stickyhomer ;)

thebassmaster
09-21-2004, 09:04 PM

play the 5th fret on the low e string and tune to an e
play the 3rd fret on the a string and tune to an a
play the 3rd fret on the d string and tune to a d
play the 3rd fret on the g string and tune to a g
play the 3rd fret on the b string and tune to a b
play the 3rd fret on the E string and tune to an e

DGCFAD with a tuner
play the 2nd fret on low e and tune to a e
play the 2nd fret on the a string and tune to an a
play the 2nd fret on the d string and tune to a d
play the 2nd fret on the g string and tune to a g
play the 2nd fret on the b string and tune to a b
play the 2nd fret on the E string and tune to an e

chinko
09-23-2004, 07:59 PM
for the dude on the first page that went un-noticed:

# means sharp
b means flat

therefore B# is B sharp

and the dude for 17th fret kicks: yes, its rather silly :D

and now my question: how do i tune to drop D on a 5 string if possible. i have a auto tuner if it helps

stickyhomer
09-24-2004, 06:59 PM

DGCFAD with a tuner
play the 2nd fret on low e and tune to a e
play the 2nd fret on the a string and tune to an a
play the 2nd fret on the d string and tune to a d
play the 2nd fret on the g string and tune to a g
play the 2nd fret on the b string and tune to a b
play the 2nd fret on the E string and tune to an e

thanks man :cheers:

Infernal67
10-13-2004, 12:05 PM
can someone tell me how to tune my guitar 3 steps down??

Minaret
10-13-2004, 12:10 PM
8th fret of the low E string = open A
8th fret of the A string = open D

Infernal67
10-13-2004, 01:53 PM
so it's like this:
8th fret of the low E string = open A
8th fret of the A string = open D
8th fret of the D string = open G
8th fret of the G string = open B
8th fret of the B string = open High E
8th fret of the high E string = ??

What does the High E needs to become??
An open A, is that just standard tuning?

Infernal67
10-23-2004, 02:28 PM
can someone please anwser me?

thebassmaster
10-24-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Infernal67
can someone tell me how to tune my guitar 3 steps down??

3 steps?

Bb Eb Ab Db F Bb ????

make sure thats right before i tune it...

joneseee14
10-29-2004, 06:10 PM
how can i tune to drop d using my electric tuner, u said earlier to set it to 4d and play the 12th fret low e, but u cant set it to 4d on my tuner it just goes to the nearest pitch and thats what shows up on the screen, hope that made sense....

thebassmaster
10-29-2004, 06:33 PM
not really..... can you find a pic of your tuner? is it a chromatic tuner?

joneseee14
10-29-2004, 06:43 PM
heres the link for my tuner link (http://www.music123.com/Korg-GA30-Guitar-Bass-Tuner-i70342.music)

thebassmaster
10-29-2004, 06:46 PM
ahhhh, this MAY work

Set the tuner to 6E and play the second fret on Low E, and tune that to the E.... if i have the right tuner, that should be okay

joneseee14
10-29-2004, 06:52 PM
alright i think that worked, now when i play the low e string on the 7th fret it shows up as 5a, thats right isnt it?

thebassmaster
10-29-2004, 09:14 PM
yup :D

joneseee14
10-30-2004, 07:01 PM
alright, good deal, thanks a lot man

YlwThunder87
10-31-2004, 07:30 PM
I've never had this problem in 2+ years.... I have no idea what it is, but here is a description of my problem:

Guitar is in standard tuning, my G string sounds really odd (chords dont sound right at all), so I go to tuner, everything check out perfect. I then try to tune by using the 5th Fret (C), and then I go to 4th Fret and it remains a C, not a C#, not a Cb, a C....... so 4th and 5th fret is same note, and its sounding really odd. Any Ideas?

Minaret
11-01-2004, 07:17 AM
^have someone level your frets,
it could be that one of your frets is higher then the other.
that way when you press down the 4th fret , the string presses down on the 5th fret, that way, both notes sound the same...
or you could check if the 5th fret is higher and lower it yourself.

xtreme_edgez
11-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Does ne 1 no how 2 tune this :
C# F# B E G# C#
I want to be able to play the sabbath albums after paranoid and this is wat iommi uses

Minaret
11-01-2004, 05:54 PM
^thats 3 steps down, it's already been answered in this thread

Minaret
11-01-2004, 05:56 PM
and you can do so by slapping a capo on the 3th fret or just fret the 3rd note of each string and tune them to standard,
remove capo , and "ta-daaa"

xtreme_edgez
11-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Thnkz for the C# F# B E G# C#. Its the Tuning for any song after Paranoid Album by Black Sabbath. I LOVE THIS TUNING!!!!!!!!

Natetheking
11-05-2004, 12:43 AM
Any ideas for tuning of the somg Tangerine by Led Zeppelin?

Minaret
11-05-2004, 08:07 AM
how about standard

airguitarist
11-05-2004, 07:50 PM
i have a question can i tune all these diffrent sounds with a tuner?

p.s bassmaster r u the same bassmaster from Musicianforums.com?

airguitarist
11-05-2004, 09:56 PM
how do i tune C-G-C-F-A-D with a tuner

Minaret
11-06-2004, 08:18 AM
C-G-C-F-A-D

C being the low E?

D->drop e 1 step
A->drop B 1 step
F->drop G 1 step
C->drop D 1 step
G->drop A 1 step
C->drop E 2 steps

Or tune to standard with a capo on the 2th fret,
and the low E while fretting it at the 4th fret

thebassmaster
11-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by airguitarist
i have a question can i tune all these diffrent sounds with a tuner?

p.s bassmaster r u the same bassmaster from Musicianforums.com?

i am thebassmaster on musicianforums yes :)

airguitarist
11-09-2004, 11:51 PM
hey bassmaster can i do all these tunings with a tuner?

Minaret
11-10-2004, 08:23 AM
^yes you can

airguitarist
11-10-2004, 03:25 PM
kool,thanx Minaret

Benesyed
11-10-2004, 10:04 PM
how do u tune down a step?

thebassmaster
11-11-2004, 06:42 AM
tuning down a step (d g c f a d)

from normal tuning, play the third fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the third fret of e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom.

basically for the tunings down half a step and one step, you change the step of the first tuning and this then affects everything so tuning the normal way tunes everything half a step or a whole step down.

JJ72
11-12-2004, 03:17 PM
The song I want to play is tuned C C G# Eb Bb F# as opposed to standard tuning. The only problem is, I don't know how to tune to that. I can play but have a terrible ear.

I have a guitar tuner, that tunes to E A D G B E but I don't see how I can possibly use that to tune to the above. Someone said you could, but they may have been bull****ting me?

Basically, I'd like to know the easiest way to tune it.

Cheers.

(moved from another thread :bonk: )

Minaret
11-12-2004, 06:11 PM
^placebo ?

which tuner have you got?

Minaret
11-12-2004, 06:22 PM
E --> C
Tune the E down 2 steps (Fret the 4th fret and tune down to standard)
B --> C
Tune the B up .5 step (tune the B according to the open E)
G --> G#
Tune the G up .5 step (fret the 6th fret of the D string, then tune the open G up to that)
D --> Eb
Tune the E up .5 step (fret the 6th fret of the A string, then tune the open D up to that)
A -->Bb
Tune the A up .5 step (fret the 6th fret of the E string, then tune the open A up to that)
E --> F#
Tune the A up .5 step (fret the 7th fret of the E string, then tune it up so that the 7th fret sounds like the open A(Bb))

voila

(i'm beginning to take over bassmaster's task;) )

JJ72
11-12-2004, 06:56 PM
^placebo ?

You know it :rolleyes:

Thanks Minaret

Minaret
11-12-2004, 07:07 PM
glad to help you,
you should really make sure the top 2 strings sound EXACTLY the same, otherwise, it sucks

JJ72
11-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Minaret, it worked fine, and this is coming from an amateur tuner

I think I love you...

airguitarist
11-13-2004, 02:18 PM
how would i tune DADGBE with a tuner?

Minaret
11-13-2004, 02:44 PM
fret the 2nd fret an tune down so that the 2nd fret sounds like an E

airguitarist
11-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Thanx much

DaddyTwoFoot
11-14-2004, 09:34 PM
If you have an electric guitar, get a 1/4"-1/8" adaptor cable and plug your guitar into the microphone/input hole in the back of your computer. Then, download AP Guitar Tuner (Google it) and then tune using that. It has tons of different tunings. It got mine into Double-Drop D.

DaddyTwoFoot
11-14-2004, 10:04 PM
Also, I have a question, I believe it was asked before, but I don't remember seeing an answer... What's the lowest possible tuning?

drop_D
11-15-2004, 10:32 AM
can someone tell me what's the useful tuning for metal songs?

airguitarist
11-16-2004, 04:45 PM
i use drop D and drop C those r good tuneings

guitaristdave
11-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by DaddyTwoFoot
Also, I have a question, I believe it was asked before, but I don't remember seeing an answer... What's the lowest possible tuning?

until your fricking strings start to come off. . .

i have a friend who has tuned lower than a bass but it sounds ****e because it vibrates too much

Minaret
11-19-2004, 01:27 PM
if you use higher gauges you can tune down lower,because there's a higher string tension.

grave
11-21-2004, 11:26 PM
i just changed the height of my bridge to decent height, but i still get buzzing from the frets. help?

Minaret
11-22-2004, 12:28 PM
if your confident , level your frets, by filing them to the same height
otherwise, bring them to a guitarshop and let them do it

riff raff
11-29-2004, 10:00 PM
is chord for half step down and full step down is the same with standard?

Minaret
11-30-2004, 06:24 AM
If you mean
"are chords the same as standard when you drop-tune?"
then the answer is No

cooldude89
11-30-2004, 10:16 AM
does anyone know the sum41-overmyhead tuning? ive been trying to play it lol.

Eulogy
12-01-2004, 08:57 PM
How would you tune back to standard tuning from drop C?

Minaret
12-02-2004, 11:06 AM
with a tuner

hellcry
12-02-2004, 09:29 PM
how do u tune to drop B (b f# b e g# c#) on a standerd (EADGBE) tuner?

i think thats the one thats popular w/ slipknot

thx

:)

YlwThunder87
12-04-2004, 12:28 PM
To go to standard from drop C you just match your 5th fret low E to your open A.

To tune B F# B E G# c#:
Match 11th fret E to your open 440hz A
Tune your 4th string to match the 2nd fret open 440hz A
Tune your 3rd string to match 7th fret 440hz A
Tune your 2nd string to match 11th fret 440hz A
Tune your 1st string to match 16th fret 440hz A
Then match the 7th Fret 6th string to your open 5th string

airguitarist
12-05-2004, 08:46 PM
is there a way u can make your guitar sound like a bass?

YlwThunder87
12-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Octave Pedal

airguitarist
12-08-2004, 03:11 PM
o yeah there u go hah

arsonite
12-09-2004, 11:21 AM
To Cooldude 89 -> use drop d tuning

backup and lead
12-15-2004, 12:04 AM
ok so droping to Eb is D# am i correct

YlwThunder87
12-15-2004, 07:50 AM
They are the same note, so yes.

masterchief101
12-15-2004, 06:51 PM
In DADADD tuning, is the B string tuned down to D, or up higher to D?

YlwThunder87
12-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Up to a D, the 1st and 2nd string will be the same note.

masterchief101
12-15-2004, 07:29 PM
so, the B goes up 2 notes, eee, im scared to tune that high:p:

YlwThunder87
12-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Shouldn't snap unless your saddles are sharp.... lol

numbfinger
12-20-2004, 12:08 AM
I love to play metallica songs but i can't get the drop C tuning figured out, so i can't get the right sound at the moment. a little help please.

metallica dont play on a drop c(idk about st. anger)

Fritter
12-20-2004, 11:06 AM
dune your E string down to a C, loosening it.

Bakerskate
12-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Some kid came over and missed with all the tuning knobs. I'm kinda new to guitar and how would I tune it back to drop d?

La Qotsa
12-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Im sorta a newb when It come to tuning.

My guitar is tuned so the: 5th string sounds like the 6th string held on the fifth fret
4th string is 5th string on fifth fret and so on till the bottom.

I want to know what this tuning is (eg. C G D F C or whatever).

Then I want to know how I change my tuning (if it isn't already at it) to (from 6th string to 1st) C F Eb Bb G c.

And please (since im a newb) dont type something like "5th down to 7th open fret to 6th tuned down to 8th up to 3rd and all that sh*t.

Just say somethin like 5th string is supposed to sound like the 6th on fret 8 or whatever.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Minaret
12-25-2004, 08:50 AM
e
B
G
D
A
E

thats the regular tuning.
and the 5th fret on thickest string(E) sounds the same as the A string, and so on till the G string
G string fretted on 4th fret sounds the same as the B string, and B fretted on 5th fret sounds the same as the thin e string

have you got a tuner?

La Qotsa
12-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Well I found out that my (ACOUSTIC!) guitar is "Standard" tuning.
(5th string is 6th with 5th fret and downwards)
How the hell does a tuner work on an acoustic...theres nowhere to plug it in.

Anyways any manual ways of tuning my guitar from "Standard" to C F Eb Bb G c (6th to 1st).

YlwThunder87
12-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Most tuners have a speaker on them to pickup the noise from an acoustic.....

Minaret
12-25-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm guessing your tuning this way so you can play Qotsa's songs,
and their tuning is C G Eb Bb F C ; instead of what you posted.
e ->C
B ->G
G ->Eb
D ->Bb
A ->F
E ->C

1st fret on the B string should sound like the open E , so tune the high e DOWN to that.
Open G string should sound the same as open B , so tune the B string DOWN to that.
1st fret on the D string should sound like the open G ; so tune the G string DOWN to that.
1st fret on the A string should sound like the open D ; so tune the D string DOWN to that.
1st fret on the E string should sound like the open A ; so tune the A string DOWN to that.
5th fret on the E string should sound like the open A(now its an F) , so tune the E string DOWN to that.

EDIT: If anything should sound wrong, PM me

eviljeffie
12-26-2004, 09:16 AM
how about dgcfad i can do the D and G but not c and f how do i can make this ****thing work??? plz help thx

La Qotsa
12-27-2004, 07:20 AM
Thx for help mate...thats easy enough for me to understand. :D

Fishboy
12-31-2004, 10:25 AM
i bet this has already been answered somewhere but i couldnt find it so i just wanted to know what key the guitar is in, in standard tuning and the same for bass (4 string)

fanx

WriteNameHere
01-01-2005, 07:11 PM
I couldnt figure out where to post my question so i'm just putting it here.

What does it mean when a tab says tune up half step or down a full step etc.?

josephde
01-01-2005, 07:54 PM
UP Half step: (wtf?!) F Bb Eb Ab C F
Down Full: D G C F A D

bobski
01-03-2005, 10:31 AM
anyone know how to set the AP Tuner 3 to half step down, I'm tuned to DADADD but cant get it half step down. Thanks

mutated_riff
01-04-2005, 02:38 AM
low - high C F Bb Eb G C (Queens Of The Stone Age tuning)
lately i have just been tuning all my strings down 2 steps and notes on the 3rd and 4th strings sound right (im playing from the offical QOTSA sheet music so the notes cant be wrong) but if im tuning my guitar down 2 steps shouldnt my final tuning be C F B E G C ? i have tried dropping my 3rd and 4th strings down another half step to make them flat but it doesnt sound right wut am i doing wrong? my guitar is strung with .070-.011 gauge strings so they dont go all sloppy.

Fishboy
01-04-2005, 07:57 AM
Does anyone know what key the guitar is in, in standard tuning(e a d g b e)?

thenexthendrix
01-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Fishboy
Does anyone know what key the guitar is in, in standard tuning(e a d g b e)?

C

YlwThunder87
01-11-2005, 04:34 PM
anyone know how to set the AP Tuner 3 to half step down, I'm tuned to DADADD but cant get it half step down. Capo the 1st fret and tune to DADADD.

adamk991100
01-11-2005, 06:37 PM
I'm not really a noob lol, but I find this quite odd. I was in Drop D tuning and I went to tune back up to E (standard tuning). I'm doing this by ear because I don't have my tuner with me but I've always been able to go from a D to the E without using a tuner. But I've just noticed that no matter what I do I am not getting my top E string tuned right. I've tried everything, is it just my ears or is something wrong with my action or something?

Jon_Boi
01-11-2005, 09:02 PM
If you have always done it and it worked then i guess your string might have **** itself. but does the tone of the string change cos your thread on the tuning knob could've also **** itself.how are you tuning it back up.

teemu5688
01-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by scroungemonkeys

DADADD....

any help is appreciated

Yes it is embarassing, I've done it once

ctb
01-22-2005, 03:25 PM
I detuned the low E down to the 10th fret, and it still allows me to play normal power chords but with the exception of that lower sound, etc... I just wanted to know what note is it?

MO/morgan
01-26-2005, 04:34 PM
BUY A BRILLIANT TUNER !!!!

XrAnE
01-26-2005, 07:06 PM
drop c (c g c f a d)

Dude.... when i did that... it tuned it right back to standard.... wtf? is it because im turning it the wrong way?

Metallimax
01-30-2005, 03:38 PM
I've never tuned my guitar before cuz i just started and now i need to "tune my guitar to open A tuning (low to high: E A E A C# E)
Its the exactly way to play 7 nation army, but im not sure what to do now and i dont want to messed up untill my next guitar lessons next week...

So any help would be appreciated...

Thx in advance!

YlwThunder87
02-02-2005, 07:25 AM
^ I really wouldn't suggest using that tuning, it is putting so much tension on the neck......

theguitarist
02-02-2005, 07:31 AM
question about gauges: i just customized my new gtr to play drop-c, but upon realisation that some metal is play in drop b im thinking i may need new strings, at the moment i got some ernie balls heavy gauge on, anyone got any recommendations about a guage to suit swihcing between drop c and drop b???

Natetheking
02-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Can anybody tell what 3/4 step tuning is? like what I change my EADGBe to? Thanks

DorkusMalorkus
02-04-2005, 08:51 PM
i'm trying to tune to G A B D E G, as in the song Teen age Riot
i tried on my own and i broke a string...help? please?thankyou

rumrunner77
02-06-2005, 04:42 PM
i was dumb enogh to try to tune before i new how to i broke a string

rumrunner77
02-06-2005, 04:44 PM
now i have to buy new strings i think im so confused

ahg_9004
02-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Gtr I (Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb)

how do i tune my guitar like that in a electric tuner ( quickone-11) is for sweet child o'mine ?

LinkinParkFreak
02-11-2005, 04:53 PM
i dont think this is in here

what the hell tuning is this
D - top
A
A
D
A
D - bottom

i was just messing around and found it
sounds cool

thestrokesrock
02-11-2005, 06:12 PM
ok im trying to tune half a step down and i know that it is Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Bb,Eb but my tuner has different keys , in which key do i have to tune ?

Davidian
02-15-2005, 12:27 PM
CGCFADG

will that really **** up my 7 string? i have a fixed bridge btw

Minaret
02-15-2005, 12:46 PM
^That's just really ****ing low
EDIT: Or up a bit, but i don't think it's that.
And 7-strings have a longer scale length most of the time (I think), so the tension is already higher then on a regular scale guitar, and then adding extra tension would be tricky

WishIHadAGibson
02-18-2005, 01:03 PM
tuning a twelve string anyone?

Minaret
02-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Click me biotch (http://www.guitarnoise.com/faq.php?id=22)

dark_mage
02-18-2005, 07:52 PM
How do I tune my guitar to:

C,F,Bb,Eb,G,C

and

E,C#,A,E,A,E

YeaOK
02-25-2005, 01:19 PM
how would you do the Db Ab Db Ab Db Db tuning with an electric tuner, anyone know? or just the DADADD, i'm having a hard time getting this by ear.

ahg_9004
02-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by dark_mage
How do I tune my guitar to:

C,F,Bb,Eb,G,C

and

E,C#,A,E,A,E

i have the same question.... plz some help.....btw i want to know how to tune it with a electric tuner

TimHef
02-26-2005, 08:04 AM
This is in When The Leeve Breaks by Led Zeppelin
C F C F A C
How do I tune to this? I can't tune by ear but I do have a tuner.

DarkestPAIN
02-27-2005, 09:02 AM
How do you tune to Drop Db (Eb, Bb, Gb, Db, Ab, Db) with a tuner? i wanna play this Norma Jean song. i just need to figure out how to get this tuning witha tuner.

thebassmaster
02-28-2005, 09:23 PM
C,F,Bb,Eb,G,C -
1) play the ninth fret on low e and open a, then retune the e string
2) play the 5th fret on e and open a, then retune the A string
3) play the 5th fret on a and open d, then retune the d string
4)play the 5th fret on d and open g, then retune the g string
5)play the 4th fret on g and open b, then retune the b string
6)play the 5th fret on b and open E, then retune the high E string. Alternatively, you could use octaves by using the Low E (should be tuned to C) as the lower note, then tuning the high E down till it sounds like the string, but a couple of octaves higher

E,C#,A,E,A,E - wow, wierd tuning

okay

1) play the eighteh fret on low e, and open a, then retune the a string
2) play the eighth fret on a, and open D, then retune the D string ( note: i dont think you will able to tune that high with a normal D string)
3)
.... actually, let me look for that, there may be an easier way with a capo or something.

C F C F A C -

1) Play the ninth fret on low E and open A, then retune the E string
2)Play the fifth fret on E and open A, then retune the A string
3)Play the seventh fret on A and open D, then retune the D string
4) play the fifth fret on D, and open G, then retune the G string.
5) PLay the forth fret on G and open B, then retune B
6) Play the third fret on B, and open high E, then retune the E string.

Eb, Bb, Gb, Db, Ab, Db with a tuner

simple as, Just tune the first fret of everything to the notes they should be.

set the tuner to 6E (or just E, depending on the tuner) and play the first fret on the E string, and retune to E.
Repeat on all strings.

That okay?

DarkestPAIN
03-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks alot.

Severed714
03-01-2005, 06:00 PM
How do i tune to Drop B By tuner??????

YeaOK
03-01-2005, 08:29 PM
bass master do you know the DADADD tuning on an electric tuner?

Logz
03-04-2005, 01:49 PM
DADADD is called Open D5 tuning. I wrote a lesson on how to exactly tune to that:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/tuning_your_guitar_by_ear.html

Super_Sexy_Owen
03-05-2005, 12:06 AM
thanks man:cheers:

neil123blink
03-06-2005, 05:09 PM
drop c???

anloop
03-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Hey guys ,can somebody please tell me how to tune to Drop B on the guitar with a tuner ? It would mean alot ...Slipknot plays that way.

Thanks.

Logz
03-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Drop B = BADGBe All you have to do is drop the Low E string down to a B.

To do this, *thinks*:

Match the 6th string (Low E) Open, to the fret A string.

arsonite
03-13-2005, 07:50 PM
^ No, sorry dude you're wrong.

The tuning Slipknot uses is B F# B E G# C#. That's drop d tuning tuned down one and a half steps.

Logz
03-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by arsonite
^ No, sorry dude you're wrong.

The tuning Slipknot uses is B F# B E G# C#. That's drop d tuning tuned down one and a half steps.

lol dam... *goes back to trying to explain slipknot tuning lol :cheers:

Right:

Play the 2nd fret A string, and the Low E string open. Match the Low E string to sound like the 2nd fret A string.

Play the 4th Fret D string, and the A string open. Match the A string to sound like the 4th fret D string.

Play the 5th Fret A string and the D string open. Match the D string to sound like the 5th fret A string.

Play the 5th fret B string and the G string open. Match the G string to sound like the 5th fret B string.

Play the 4th fret High E string and the B string open. Match teh B string to sound like the 4th fret B High E string.

Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Match the High E string to sound like the 5th fret of the B string.

I think thats it. Feel free to correct me.

punksk8er18241
03-15-2005, 03:25 PM
C# F# B E G# c# tuning? how do i do it

Logz
03-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Play the 3rd fret A string, and the Low E string open at the same time. You'll hear like a resonating where the sound waves are out of phase. Downtune the Low E string until the resonating (sounds like a pulsating sound wave) stops.

Play the 4th Fret D string, and the A string open. Match the A string to sound like the 4th fret D string.

Play the 5th Fret A string and the D string open. Match the D string to sound like the 5th fret A string.

Play the 5th fret B string and the G string open. Match the G string to sound like the 5th fret B string.

Play the 4th fret High E string and the B string open. Match teh B string to sound like the 4th fret B High E string.

Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Match the High E string to sound like the 5th fret of the B string.

I think thats it.

fallensk8er
03-18-2005, 10:39 AM
can someone help me with drop b (bfbecg) without a tuner

Sadistic sponge
03-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Anyone know how to tune to: B E A D F# B ? And whats it called. Thanks alot

Homer Gibson
03-23-2005, 07:42 PM
The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin..
D G C G C D

First fret the 7th on the top E string and retune the E string

Next fret the 5th on the top E string and retune the A string

Next fret the 5th on the A string and retune the D string

Then fret the 5th on the G string and retune the B string

Last fret the 2nd on the B string and retune the high E string

Logz
03-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Ergh, i should have replied to these ages ago:

BFBECg:
Basically this is tuning all your strings down 2 notes, then dropping the Low E string to a B:

1) Play the 1st fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune your A string to match the 1st fret Low E.

2) Play the 6th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 6th fret A string.

3) Play the 5th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 5th fret G string

4) Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.

4) ?Play the 7th fret B string and the High E open. Retune the High E to match the 7th fret B.

5) Play the 12th fret Low E and the D string open. Retune the 12th fret Low E string to match the D string open.

------

B E A D F# B - I dont know what its called sorry.

1) Play the Low E string open, and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the Low E string open.

2) Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 5th fret A string.

3) Play teh 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.

4) Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match teh 4th fret G string.

5) Play teh 5th fret B string and the High E open. Retune your High E string to match the 5th fret B stirng.

6) Play the 6th fret A string, and the Low E open. Retune the Low E till the resonating ends.

Ill post D G C G C D tomorrow, im knackered so im going bed.

ctb
03-24-2005, 12:17 PM
B E A D F# B is used on Baritone guitars. A forth down apparently. If you put a capo at the 5th fret it reads E A D G B E.

I got this off of some web site. :) http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_baritone.htm

^ For example... these lovely guitars...

Tijy
03-25-2005, 06:41 PM
B E D G B F, any clue? anyone? i sure as hell dunno. thanks much *tool song beckons*

Logz
03-26-2005, 09:26 AM
For BEDGBF:

1) Play the Low E string open and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the Low E open.

2) Leave the D, G and B strings as they are.

3) Play the 6th fret B string, and the High E open. Retune your High E string to match teh 6th fret B string.

4) -->

You'll need an amp with distortion for this and a good ear:

Play the 7th fret A string, and the Low E open. Retune your Low E string until theres no sound resonating. What i mean by this, is if you play this:

e|---|
B|---|
G|---|
D|---|
A|-4-|
E|-3-|

if you play that, you can hear the sound wobble, where the two frequencies aren't in phase. If you cant hear a wobbling, twist the A string tuner around clockwise and counter clockwise, you'll be able to hear the 'wobbling' speed up or slow down.

Back to your tuning:
Play the 7th fret A strnig and the Low E open. You'll hear this sound resonating, or wobbling. Retune your Low E string until the wobbling slows down then seems to stop.

thrash_fan88
03-31-2005, 09:45 PM
sry didnt see the tuning thread...anyways

so i was tuning my guitar today with the built in tuner from my amp, and i completely tuned it to EADGBe just like my tuner read, but when i was playing a few chords i noticed that the G and B strings sounded out of tune when i played a chord on them, when i play a chord on the D and G they were in tune, i played a chord on the B and e and they were in tune, but for some reason whenever i play a chord on G and B they are out of tune..? wtf? i have no clue why they sound out of tune even tho the rest are in tune, can anyone help me?

and its not the tuner cuz i used a friends tuner and an online tuner and they still came out to be out of tune.

Logz
03-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Your intonation is out.

Your intonation is the accuracy of notes. What guitar do you have?

To fix it;

1) Play the 12th fret harmonic and the 12th fret note.

2) If the NOTE is sharper than the harmonic, your string is to short, and you need to pull the saddle back.

3) If the NOTE is flatter than the harmonic, your string is to long, and you need to let it forward a bit.

4) After you retune your intonation, retune your string, then repeat steps 1-4 if nessercary.

If you tell me what guitar you have i can post a picture of the saddles. if you dont know them already.

thrash_fan88
03-31-2005, 09:49 PM
i have a yamaha erg 121

Logz
03-31-2005, 09:56 PM
I think you have this type of bridge. Ive pointed out the saddles. Ill post a link which better explains intonation as well.

What Is Guitar Intonation?
Intonation is the accuracy in which a guitar or bass guitar can produce a fretted note. Setting the intonation is the act of adjusting the length of the strings (by moving the bridge saddles) to compensate for the stretching of a string due to pushing it down to the fret board to produce a note. To adjust the intonation of your guitar or bass, you move the bridge saddles toward or away from the fret board until the 12th fret octave and its harmonic are equal and the same open-string note is exactly one octave below those. Accurate intonation is critical to sound quality.

When a guitar or bass guitar has an inaccurate intonation setting, you may notice that chords played at the bottom of the neck sound correct, but the same chord played higher up the fret board have some notes that become out of tune, making the chords sound more like noise than music. An example is that you may play an open A on the 5th (or 3rd) string together with the same note on the 6th (or 4th) string to add depth. If these notes aren't exactly the same, you may think that your instrument is out of tune. That is what this article will try to help you correct.

Check Your Guitar or Bass Intonation
Checking intonation is easy, especially if you have a digital tuner. The best tuners to use for this task are the ones with a meter readout rather than LEDs since it is much easier to see how much adjustment may need to be done. You must also be sure that your strings are new, but you should check your intonation periodically just to be sure that it is correct. First, you must tune your guitar to your desired tuning. Each time you change strings or tunings, your strings' tension or height may change slightly, which may unset your intonation.

With your instrument in the same position as you normally play (playing position), not lying on a table, check the tuning of the natural harmonic at the 12th fret (gently touching the string above the 12th fret while picking). This should be exactly equal to the tuning if you were to push the string down to the fret. If they are the same and you still have intonation problems, check the open strings and the other fretted notes. If particular frets are out of tune while others are in tune across each string, the frets on your instrument may be worn to the point where the string is not contacting the centers of the frets. If that is the case, you may need to grind and polish or replace the worn frets to cure this problem.

If the intonation starts out bad on the first few frets and gets progressively better going up to the 12th fret, your guitar may have a misplaced nut. This would throw the entire scale of your guitar or bass guitar off. It is suggested that you have an instrument repair person replace the nut to ensure that it is in the correct position. If you do have the nut replaced by a repair person, be sure to check their job thoroughly before leaving the shop - even if you have to completely set the intonation right there! If the problem still exists, be sure to explain it to the repair person (you may want to explain the problem before repairs are done as well). Some cheaply made guitars may never be able to correct this problem, but if you are paying to have the nut replaced, be sure what they have done the best job possible - before handing over your hard-earned cash.

Adjust Your Guitar Or Bass Guitar Intonation
Because adjustments such as action (the height of the strings from the fret board), truss rod tightness, string thickness or material and the magnetic pull of your pickups can effect an instrument's intonation, adjustments must be performed as the last step in setting up your guitar or bass guitar. When you are checking the intonation of your instrument, it must be done in your normal playing position in order to correctly account for any neck flex which effects the string height (action).

Adjusting an instrument's intonation consists of setting the bridge saddles to produce the note at the 12th fret exactly an octave higher than that of the open string. With the aid of an electronic or digital tuner, compare either the open string or the octave harmonic at the 12th fret with the fretted octave at the 12th fret. Use slight finger pressure, as any extra pressure ("articulation") will disrupt the accuracy of the adjustment. If the fretted note is sharp, move the saddle away from the pickups and fret board; if it is flat, move the saddle toward the pickups and fret board.

If you periodically check your intonation, adjustments should rarely take more than a few minutes, provided you stick with the same tuning, action and string gauges. Check the intonation every time you change your strings, especially if you are changing tunings, gauges, or even brands. Even the slightest differences between sets of strings can make a noticeable difference.

If your bridge does not provide you with enough adjustment, it may be necessary to have a repair person take a look. Sometimes it may be as simple as the saddle needs to be turned around and re-slotted. In some more extreme cases, the entire bridge may need to be moved.

Factors Causing Inaccurate Or Poor Intonation On A Guitar Or Bass Guitar
If your guitar or bass guitar has poor intonation, you may want to check factors such as your action, bridge saddles or worn frets. The action of your instrument may cause your intonation to be sharp - the higher the action is, the more the strings need to be stretched in order to fret a note. If your bridge saddles are worn or leaning, that may effect the action of your instrument as well as the shorten a string's life.

One other factor that has come up much more often in the last few years involves low tunings. Guitars and bass guitars are made to handle a range of string thicknesses. These string gauges can only produce a certain number of notes. Lower notes will not only loosen the string, but may require you to raise your action to prevent fret buzz. In doing so, you will also make your intonation sharper, possibly causing your bridge saddles to run out of adjustment room. If this is the case, you may (though it is not recommended) need to move your entire bridge away from the nut in order to gain the additional adjustment room required to set your intonation.

Before you consider moving the bridge, try a thicker gauge string (I know many guitarists that use a bass string in place of their low string). If this still doesn't work for you, get a new instrument that can support what you want. For instance, spend the cash to get a 5-string bass or a baritone or 7-string guitar if you have to. After all, homemade, custom-built guitars don't always have an accurate scale, and may cost just as much as a new mass-produced guitar by the time you buy all the pieces. (Trust me, I know this from experience!)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/loggyz/intonation-fr.jpg
The arrow indicates the intonation screw

thrash_fan88
03-31-2005, 10:11 PM
ah i did it and now its in tune properly thnx logz!

Logz
04-05-2005, 05:18 PM
sorry, ive redone the B,F#,B,E,G#,C# tuning: this ones right:

1) Play the 2nd fret B string and the High E string open. Retune the High E string to match the 2nd fret B string.

2) Play the 1st fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 1st fret G string.

3) Play the 2nd fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 2nd fret D string.

4) Play the 2nd fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 2nd fret A string.

5) Play the 2nd fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 2nd fret Low E string.

6) Play the 12th fret Low E string and the D string open. Retune the 12th fret Low E string to match the D string open.

guitaristjames
04-07-2005, 06:57 AM
how do you tune a floyd rose?

Rayo
04-08-2005, 09:40 PM
D G C G C D

from the rain song by zeppelin. i cant find it anywhere.

Logz
04-09-2005, 07:01 AM
D G C G C D:

1) Play the 3rd fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 3rd fret Low E string.

2) Play the 5th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the 5th fret LOW E string to match the A string open.

3) Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 5th fret A string.

4) Play the 6th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 6th fret G string.

5) Play the 2nd fret B string and the High E open. Retune the High E string to match the 2nd fret B string.

Hope it helps :D

Corbs
04-09-2005, 12:15 PM
i like to use the harmonics on 5 and 7 on the two adjescent strings, it's very accurate

Corbs
04-09-2005, 12:16 PM
bah

Corbs
04-09-2005, 12:17 PM
fgdf

Corbs
04-09-2005, 12:17 PM
tdh

lpd0084
04-13-2005, 04:49 AM
I tried to play in open tuning, but there are so many chord configurations that it's a bit overwhelming. Any suggestions other than man up and do it?

TommyWIg
04-13-2005, 05:45 PM
you mean D A D G B E ?

if so, play the 7th fret on the E string and open A and retune the E string till it sounds the same as the a string and hey presto.

enjoy ;) and if you got good ears you can just hit the 4th and 6th strings and downtune 6 until it sounds right.

Logz
04-15-2005, 07:52 PM
^ Or you can just strum the 6th 5th and 4th strings as you would normally and retune the Low E to eliminate the resonating.

fallensk8er
04-16-2005, 08:03 AM
how do you tune to CFBE on a bass

Logz
04-17-2005, 08:57 AM
If im right in thinkin bass standard tuning is EADG then:
G - Two steps down -> E
D - Two steps down -> B
A - Two steps down -> F
E - Two steps down -> C

1) Play the 1st fret E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 1st fret E string.

2) Play the 5th fret E string and the A string open. Retune the 5th fret E string to match the A string open.

3) Play the 6th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 6th fret A string.

4) Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.

jmag
04-18-2005, 05:20 PM
it's so freakin easy to tune my guitar with the zoom 505II guitar. anyway, i heard somethings that bothered me alot: one of my brother's friends, when my brother said that he had his guitar tuned in C, said that that would harm the guitar, doing sth that i can't translate to english to the neck, and that he had to go to a music shop so they could get the guitar to be able to play in low tunings such as those. what do yall have to say about this? his guitar is a squier stagemaster, with licensed floyd rose and bolt on neck.

Logz
04-19-2005, 01:48 PM
^ Warp the neck?
It could happen if the truss rod wasnt adjusted and its left in C tuning fotr a long time. Your brother would need to adjust the truss rod accordingly, or buy heavy gauge strings.

jmag
04-19-2005, 01:57 PM
heavier gauge strings won't make the truss rod adjustment necessary?

Logz
04-19-2005, 02:00 PM
I wouldnt have thought so if your combining it with down-tuning.

matthes
04-19-2005, 02:28 PM

Eb, Bb, Gb, Db, Ab, Db with a tuner

simple as, Just tune the first fret of everything to the notes they should be.

set the tuner to 6E (or just E, depending on the tuner) and play the first fret on the E string, and retune to E.
Repeat on all strings.

That okay?

I don't have a tuner, could you tell me how to do it without a tuner?

Logz
04-19-2005, 02:34 PM
^ Im a little confused with thoses notes do you want that tuning like this?:

6th string (thickest): Db
5th string: Ab
4th string: Db
3rd string: Gb
2nd string: Bb
1st string (thinnest): eb

or do you want it this way?:
6th string (Thickest): eb
5th string: Bb
4th string: Gb
3rd string: Db
2nd string: Ab
1st string (thinnest): Db

The first tuning is down half a step and drop D. To do that:

1) Play teh 4th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 4th fret A string.

2) Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the 5th fret A string to match the D string open.

3) Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.

4) Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 4th fret G string.

5) Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Retune the High E string to match the 5th fret B string.

6) Play the 12th fret Low E stirng and the D string open. Retune the 12th fret Low E string to match the D string open.

If you want it like the second way i said, jst ask.

matthes
04-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Can I have the second way? :)

Logz
04-19-2005, 03:50 PM
^ Yep:
e - down 1 and half steps -> Db
B - down 1 and half steps -> Ab
G - down 2 and half steps -> Db
D - down 5 and half steps -> Gb
A - Up half a step-> Bb
E - down half a step -> Eb

Im a little unsure that the down 5 and half steps, it looks a bit weird.

1) Play the 2nd fret B string and the High E open. Retune the High E to match the 2nd fret B string.

2) Play the 1st fret on the G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 1st fret G string.

3) Play the 4th fret A string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 4th fret A string.

4) Play the 2nd fret Low E string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 2nd fret Low E.

5) Play the 6th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 6th fret Low E.

6) Play the 2nd fret A string and the Low E string open. Retune the Low E (A little bit down) until the two notes ring together like a powerchord.

Im not entirely sure about this tuning. Its pretty weird.

Its normally the other way away, with DbAbDbGbBbeb

matthes
04-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks alot!

ALKoHoLiK
04-24-2005, 04:12 PM
I bought the tab booklet for Eruption and in it, it says to turn it like this and this is what it looks like at the top of the page.. Could someone help me

Tune Down 1/2 step
(6)= Eb Thickest
(5)= Ab
(4)= Db
(3)= Gb
(2)= Bb
(1)= Eb Thinnest

Logz
04-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Half step down:
1) Play the 4th fret Low E string, and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 4th fret Low E.

2) Play the 5th fret Low E and the A string open. Retune the 5th fret Low E string to match the A.

3) Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 5th fret A string.

4) Play the 5th fret D string and teh G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.

5) Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 4th fret G string.

6) Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Retune the High E string to match the 5th fret B string.

slash_pwns
04-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Logz, do you save these and repeat them, or do you write them out every time, because I must have seen like 100 tuning answers from you :p:

Logz
04-24-2005, 06:09 PM
^ Lol no one else replies and i know how to do most tunings.

And nah, i keep meaning to save them but i keep forgetting so i write em out all the time lol

popapez
04-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Ive replied a few times to a couple poor souls who dont know how to tune. But i think that you (Logz) take pride in it, and you do a good job, so ill just leave it up to you lol.

EDIT: and you always seem to beat me to it by about 10 seconds anyways :p:

Logz
04-24-2005, 08:32 PM
^ Lol *bows* feel free to help! its not just my thread, and i could occasionally use the help! :)

EDIT:
Everyone always seems to ask the same tuning questions so i can type 'em out pretty fast now lol.

It'd be interesting to see other peoples way of tuning too

popapez
04-24-2005, 08:36 PM
Ok then, youll see me here more often from now on. :cheers:

im not on UG 24/7 like some (ahem) though....

EDIT: yeah, it looks as if youve had enough practice writing them out lol. I still have to get out my guitar every once in a while to help me write some of 'em.

Logz
04-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Lol ideal :D ill look forward to reading your ways

speaking of being on 24/7 im gettin quite tired, i been on and off for about the last 12 hours :(

popapez
04-24-2005, 08:41 PM
^ yeah, ive been on way too long the past few days. I think im getting addicted....

I write them out basically the same way you do anyways, you really should start saving them.

Logz
04-24-2005, 08:44 PM
lol i neglected my guitar for a week once :eek:
ah well, yea i know, (about saving them) ill try in the future lol.

I got this really weird tuning on page 12... it was (Low to high) Eb, Bb, Gb, Db, Ab, Db

I was quite confused with the G on the D string, thats like a (drop) of 5 notes!

I thought it was half a step down tuning, but it wasnt

MadSchecterGTR
04-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Hey can you help me get to a open C tuning. Thanks alot.

Logz
04-27-2005, 08:09 PM
sure:
CGCGGe

1) Play the 3rd fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 3rd fret Low E.

2) Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 5th fret A string.

3) Play the 12th fret Low E and the D string open. retune the 12th fret Low E to match the D string open.

4) Play the G string open and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the G string open.

MadSchecterGTR
04-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey can someone clear up the b tuning or whatever slipknot uses for me because it was really confusing in what it said to do. It said tune one thing and then another and it put it right back where i started. Thanks