recording tips and info

PDA

View Full Version : recording tips and info

sully111
01-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Could you possibly fill me in how to record well with a four track and how to use a pa system, our band recently have gotten out songs pritty dam tight now we are looking to record them a fellow artist has a fourtrack recorder and tips , as well as that anytimes for making them even better using the pc and certain software?

z4twenny
01-25-2007, 04:09 PM
quick question, do you have a mixer that you mixx all of your instruments down into before everything goes into the PA? are your drums mic'ed?

GiantRaven
01-25-2007, 04:15 PM
I would assume you would need more than 4 tracks

Especially if you have the drums mic'd up

sully111
01-25-2007, 07:07 PM
no the drums are not mic'd up

METSOAD
01-26-2007, 03:34 AM
you should try and mic up the drums

myvaliantleap
01-26-2007, 10:22 AM
If you want to do a "live" recording then you will all play together, my advice then becomes try to isolate the amps from the drums. Also, how many inputs does your p.a. have, and also how many tracks can you record on the four track at the same time?

phillyguitar
01-26-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't know much about 4 track recorders, I would just do some of the following:

As mentioned above, get a mixer to mix down everything before it gets into the recorder. That way you can tweak the highs and lows of the instruments to get just what you want.

Mic your drumset. Can you record seperate things with a 4 track, like the 3 toms and bass drum, then guitars, then bass?

Ok yeah thats all I've got for now

GiantRaven
01-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Can you record seperate things with a 4 track, like the 3 toms and bass drum, then guitars, then bass?

Thats just over complicating things stupidly

sully111
01-26-2007, 11:51 AM
i have no idea thats why i am asking for info

RocknEf'inRoll
01-28-2007, 05:20 AM
Track #1:Record the drums first (kick and two overheads is all you need), make sure everything is tight with the drums and tempo is what you want. You can put all mics on mixer and adjust levels of mics so that everything is sounding fairly level, it wont sound perfect because you havent miked up each drum but its good enough. Connect your mixer to the recording console.
Track #2:Record your rhythm guitar, and again make sure everything is what you want.
Track #3:Record your lead guitar fills/solos
Track #4:Record your vocals

After that is finished you can adjust the levels of each track and then BOOM! Press the burning process and combine each track into a song and there ya go. Hope it helps.

GiantRaven
01-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Track #1:Record the drums first (kick and two overheads is all you need), make sure everything is tight with the drums and tempo is what you want. You can put all mics on mixer and adjust levels of mics so that everything is sounding fairly level, it wont sound perfect because you havent miked up each drum but its good enough. Connect your mixer to the recording console.
Track #2:Record your rhythm guitar, and again make sure everything is what you want.
Track #3:Record your lead guitar fills/solos
Track #4:Record your vocals

After that is finished you can adjust the levels of each track and then BOOM! Press the burning process and combine each track into a song and there ya go. Hope it helps.
You forgot Bass :p:

Do that before/after rhythm guitar, most likely before

Getting your drummer to play to a metronome beat is also a good idea

RocknEf'inRoll
01-29-2007, 02:00 AM
haha whoops....I knew I forgot something :bonk: , It's just bass anyways haha
but yeah, bass prob before rhythm like he said works good. And NOW your recording should be good.

:peace:

GiantRaven
01-29-2007, 07:48 AM
haha whoops....I knew I forgot something :bonk: , It's just bass anyways haha
but yeah, bass prob before rhythm like he said works good. And NOW your recording should be good.

:peace:
Well no

The quality of the microphones is pretty damn important for the quality of your recording

Having a good mix means you'll just be able to hear everything ok