I Like The Horrors

PDA

View Full Version : I Like The Horrors

properBo
01-25-2007, 06:43 PM
I noticed there wasn't really a proper Horrors thread so, I made this. One of the newer bands I actually like and I'm going to see them on Monday with The Automatic! :D

Do you like The Horrors?
Will you be buying the album?
Is the hair just a gimmick?

http://www.nme.com/images/84_TheHorrors_L080806.jpg

Rosencrantz
01-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Sorry, but they look like freaks and I've never heard of them. What kind of music do they play?

properBo
01-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Sorry, but they look like freaks and I've never heard of them. What kind of music do they play?

They play like sort of Gothy Indie music, but most of the attention is because of their (supposedly) crazy live shows. I don't think anyones heard of them in America yet.

http://www.myspace.com/thehorrors

the_astronaut
01-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Horrible band.

fbtmof
01-25-2007, 08:00 PM
oh my god, they're ****ing awesome, they're live show is insane and there songs are filled with energy. its like listening to a horror film like if a horror film made indie music thats what it'd be. its really cool, other bands have done it but i think the horrors have made the genre a bit more mainstream.

martyr
01-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Horrible band.

Yes.

Diversity
01-26-2007, 05:58 AM
horrorble band haha.

jk ive never heard of them. perhaps i should check them out.

onlyonehere
01-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Horrible band.

Agreed.

Andrewbiles
01-26-2007, 07:28 PM
From what I've heard, I don't mind them. They just make me think of a bluesy, surfy version of The Stranglers.

Not going to buy their album, not impressed that they're supporting The Automatic (who are crap), and they're not going to last very long, but they're not terrible like everyone here seems to think.

nopop
01-27-2007, 01:28 AM
not so awesome

VoodooChild15
01-27-2007, 01:06 PM
I like them. They're completely awful musicians, but they're fun.

Rocko Mummble
01-30-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm going to see them on Monday with The Automatic! :D

One of my friends went to that (Belfast woo). He said he didn't like them very much, but he didn't say why.

What did you think??

mrFood
01-30-2007, 10:22 PM
I've been listening to this band for a while, they are fun to just rock out to. They remind me of that band The Death Riders, Johnny Coffin was in them, as was the bass player from White Zombie. It was pretty sick. Their look wasn't so 'indie' though.

The thing I really love about this band is the influence from 60s psychedelic stuff. I don't know if it's conscience influence, but they definitely carry on traits from bands like 13th Floor Elevators and The Thingies. I really like that.

j0nmcc
01-30-2007, 10:48 PM
hmmmm not really into them

rockguitarist20
03-30-2008, 03:33 AM
i think its more about their presentation than their music....

meh17
03-30-2008, 07:19 AM
I love them, their live shows are awesome too.

They make garage indie punk, or something along those lines.

Not the best musicians, but I really like them.

radio_schizo
03-30-2008, 07:31 AM
I think they are pretty good. I have their album and while it's not the best garage album out there it is still good fun to listen too. I also respect the fact that they are pretty active in the music scene, releasing fanzines, getting new bands heard and drawing artwork, producing bands etc.
I'm still shocked that they got as big as they are don't really have the most mainstream sound - maybe that's why there are a lot of haters - but i'm pretty sure their image has a lot to do with them getting popular amongst the indie kids. Anyway great band...I really like their guitarists style. It kinda reminds me of East Bay Ray from the Dead Kennedy's.

TV Party
03-30-2008, 03:59 PM
they sound like a rip-off of The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster

and they in turn ripped off Bauhaus.

radio_schizo
03-30-2008, 05:22 PM
^Every band rips of other bands....it's how bands work and always have.

Broken_Drum
03-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Don't mind them, the video for Sheena Is A Parasite is amazing though.

TV Party
03-31-2008, 11:28 AM
^Every band rips of other bands....it's how bands work and always have.every band is influenced by other bands.

when i say that, i mean they completely rip-off style and sound.

meh17
03-31-2008, 12:39 PM
they sound like a rip-off of The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster

and they in turn ripped off Bauhaus.

There is a resembalance, but I prefer bands who "rip off" or make similar music to one band, rather than the general "Libertine-rip-off" bands etc.

radio_schizo
03-31-2008, 02:24 PM
every band is influenced by other bands.

when i say that, i mean they completely rip-off style and sound.
...then 80's Matchbox aren't the best example to use since they completley rip off The Cramps in style and sound.

Anyway The Horrors have more of a 60's vibe while 80's Matchbox are more psychobilly.

smb
03-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Why the bump? This thread is over a year old.

Their live show was great when I saw them, I liked their album when I picked that up afterwards but I haven't listened to it in ages. It's definitely disposable music - but it's healthier than most fast food.

shyalicia
04-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Love this band. Great album. Nice way to freak others out.

daft
04-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Don't mind them, the video for Sheena Is A Parasite is amazing though.

Agreed.

properBo
04-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Why the bump? This thread is over a year old.

Their live show was great when I saw them, I liked their album when I picked that up afterwards but I haven't listened to it in ages. It's definitely disposable music - but it's healthier than most fast food.

Yeah, I was pretty freaked when the thread subscription e-mail came . I can't remember making this thread at all. I still love them, even when the hype has died down. Suprisingly.