Lesson - Musical Notation

PDA

View Full Version : Lesson - Musical Notation

198x
01-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Ok, this is my first go at this kinda thing. Any comments (good or bad) will be appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------
This is a quick lesson on Musical Notation. The majority of the notations will be used more so in tablature books and sheet music rather than tabs, but some tabs have it in. It’s not essential that you learn this but I believe it’s worth knowing if you’re planning on playing from tab books.

I have included the terminology and what it represents when playing. All with ASCII examples at the end.

-----

D.C – Italian for Da Capo and when translated means “from the beginning”. So when you see it you play from the beginning of the score.

D.S – Italian for Dal Segno and when translated means “from the sign”. So when you see this you play from the segno (sign.)

Segno – Meaning ‘sign’. It looks similar to an S with a / through it (along with 2 dots either side.) Usually when you see this there will be a D.S al Coda / D.S al Fine later on in the tab. This means to play back from where this sign marks the tab.

Coda – Meaning ‘tail’. This looks similar to a target symbol (or crosshair.) This is a separate section of the tab meaning for you to end a repeat section. There will be the direction “To Coda” meaning you go directly to the measure marked with the Coda symbol instead of repeating the previous playing pattern.

al Fine – This is telling you to repeat up until the word Fine. Fine is used to mark the end of a piece.

------

Having mentioned the terminology it is time to put it into practise so you can understand it better.
When you play through for the first time, ignore the “To Coda” direction until you repeat.

It’s hard to explain with ASCII but I’ll try.

D.C al Coda – So you repeat from the beginning and continue playing until you are directed to jump to the Coda.

-- < ---- < ---- < ---- < -----
| -- > -- > -- > -- | --- > --- > ---
| | | |
V To Coda D.C al Coda Coda
|ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ|| |ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
E| 2 3 2 3 | 4 5 4 5 | 2 3 2 3 | 4 3 3 4 || | 4 3 4 3 | 2 3

D.S al Coda – Similar to above, only you repeat from the Segno symbol (an example is s/s) instead of the beginning.

-- < ---- < ---- < ---
| -- > -- > - | - > --- > ---
| | | |
s/s To Coda D.S al Coda Coda
|ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ|| |ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
E| 2 3 2 3 | 4 5 4 5 | 2 3 2 3 | 2 3 2 3 || | 4 3 4 3 | 2 3

D.C al Fine – Repeat to the beginning and then end at the word fine.

-- < --- < --- < --- < --- < ---
| |
| |
V Fine D.C al Fine
|ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ||
E| 2 3 2 3 | 4 5 4 5 | 2 3 2 3 | 2 3 2 3 ||

D.S al Fine – Similar to the D.S al Coda as mentioned before, but instead of going to Coda end at Fine.

--- < --- < --- < ---
| |
| |
s/s Fine D.S al Fine
|ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ||
E| 2 3 2 3 | 4 5 4 5 | 2 3 2 3 | 2 3 2 3 ||

-----
Hopefully this has helped explain the musical notation used, and when you pick up a tab book you can easily understand what to do.

AdamDK
01-26-2007, 05:35 AM
It;s a pretty good lesson, but it's only really concentrated on Coda's, and Segno's, etc, and doesn't really concentrate on the actually notation like the time value of crotchets and semi-quavers, etc. It's good mateiral you've got in, but really though it'd be better if it explained time values of different notes, etc, and reading the notes.

198x
01-26-2007, 07:57 AM
It;s a pretty good lesson, but it's only really concentrated on Coda's, and Segno's, etc, and doesn't really concentrate on the actually notation like the time value of crotchets and semi-quavers, etc. It's good mateiral you've got in, but really though it'd be better if it explained time values of different notes, etc, and reading the notes.
I didn't really think about this to be honest. I picked up a tab book about a fortnight ago and had no idea what all this stuff meant. So of course I was playing the tab completely wrong, because I was so used to Guitar Pro showing what you can do with the play button that I just went from measure to measure without going back etc.

Should this be renamed to 'Musical Direction' rather than notation? I'll probably concentrate on the actual notation on another lesson maybe.

AdamDK
01-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I'd probably say this is more musical direction. But it is a good lesson - i often get confused with the D.C in tab books, etc, but now I won't.

CowboyUp
01-26-2007, 09:31 AM
More of a "musical terms" lesson, but it was alright.

198x
01-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Woo!

How exactly will I know if/when this gets turned into a lesson? Will it be deleted from the boards or something?

I hope it does make it into the beginners section.

198x
05-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Finally had a rejection e-mail about this tutorial today, 4 months after I submitted it.

Although I dont see why because :

- We already have a similar contribution in the archives -- No.
- It was inaccurate (bad spacing, bad format, etc) -- What?
- It has bad language or bad grammar -- Again, no.
- It was too small -- Doesn't look small to me.

I really think these rejections should be a bit more accurate.

nightwind
05-09-2007, 09:36 PM
I believe that it's too small a lesson. It really only focuses on a couple terms that one could easily google up, or wiki.