advice on starting a "real" band

PDA

View Full Version : advice on starting a "real" band

singer_johnny90
01-25-2007, 11:02 PM
i am 16-almost 17, in high school. i play rhythm guitar and sing. i want to know how to go about actually starting the band i want to have. i want people who are as serious about the music as me and are good already, and also willing to work to get better. most of the musicians in my school are either a) the epitome of the stereotypical "hardcore" or "emo" kids. no offense to any people here that fall into that group, but the ones at my particular school are all... lets say... disagreeable people who aren't really serious about music. b)they are already in a band, or c) dont actually play anything.

i want to have a purely professional-sounding band like Shinedown or Killswitch Engage. i know--very different influences, but both very professional and hardworking. should i go beyond high school, maybe to college kids or even to the classified ads? any help would be appreciated. thank you.

METSOAD
01-26-2007, 03:31 AM
if i were american i would help you, good luck to you mate

Dutch_Apples
01-26-2007, 04:05 AM
Ask the guys who are already in bands. A lot of musicians and singers are wiling to play in more than one group at a time, I actually encourage it.

ismokerox
01-26-2007, 01:39 PM
what you should do is what you can.... in high school its gonna be hard to get a band thats actually \"profecional\". every one is going to be doing their own thing , sports , girls , books, whatever. so one thats \"profecional\" is hard , but its not imposible. try a few different people out. your going to be kicking alot of people out or making sacrifices but its whats got to be done. if you are really seriouse look into your local music store. they should have a buliten board and it should have flyers of people looking to get into a band or need someone. but work with what you can. mabey you can get something.
like me im 18 and been in like 10 different bands total in the last 3 years... im currently with one that has finally seemed to work. we have been together for months now and so far nothing is stopping us. yeah theres a bump in the road every once in a wile.... finals..parents...grades...girls...... but hey thats life... specially for us HS kids. but stay trrue to yourself and you will find people. just look around and try alot of people. thats the best info i think anyone can give you
..ps... looking into people who are already in bands is not a bad idea... most dont mind and it broadens your sound...
good luck

greendayguitar
01-26-2007, 04:35 PM
^ Learn how to spell professional.

My suggestion is to make sure everyone around you knows you're looking for a band. Post some fliers up at school, post some up at the local music stores, and even ask the music stores to ask people that come in regularly or some in for lessons to see if they're interested in being in a band.

And I also plus one the idea of asking people who are already in bands.

singer_johnny90
01-26-2007, 05:24 PM
thanks, guys. i will check in to the music store down the road. i will also ask them about putting some of my flyers up. again--thanks.

ismokerox
01-26-2007, 08:48 PM
i cant spell. how sad. :bash: :confus:

alienboy18241
01-27-2007, 11:24 PM
i i play rhythm guitar and sing. i want to know how to go about actually starting the band i want to have. i want people who are as serious about the music as me and are good already, and also willing to work to get better.

i want to have a purely professional-sounding band like Shinedown .

You need to move here. You're exactly what I'm looking for.