Metal Setlist for Not So Skilled Guitarist

PDA

View Full Version : Metal Setlist for Not So Skilled Guitarist

Renka
01-27-2007, 08:59 AM
I play in a band called Violate, and our main influences would be Metallica, Slayer and Pantera (and I pray we sound anything like those said bands, although I doubt it). We have a gig (our first ever, actually) at a school party. We are supposed to play for about half an hour, and we are currently working on a set list for said evening.

We were thinking about something in line with:
Enter Sandman by Metallica
Superbia (Original)
Watching Over Me by Iced Earth
Luxuria (Original)
God of Thunder by Kiss as covered by Iced Earth
Ira (Original)

Now I’m not sure I can pull Watching Over Me of, song wise, and I have my doubts about God of Thunder. Thing is, I have a creeping notion we should have some kind of ballad, but we’re not really into that thing. What are your opinions on this matter?

Other than that, I am looking for general suggestions. Do you like the songs, suggestions for replacements etc.

Glad for any responses.

Judas_rising
01-27-2007, 09:09 AM
In that case try I Died For You by Iced Earth....

Klayy
01-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Just a detail, all your original songs have a name ending with an "a" ?

Other than that, don't play a song if you are not sure you can pull it off
it's always better to play easier songs, but playing them good, if not perfectly
have you thought about making a medley? Playing a few good parts out of songs, but avoiding tricky parts like solos etc
Maybe it would be a good idea to make a cover with your own sound, like smells like teen spirit drop c lol. Just remember to make it interesting to listen to.

good luck

Americanhoser
01-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Ballad? lol Hallowed be thy name by Maiden? And as for a medley as previous stated, playing very popular riffs from a very popular band (Metallica, one of your influences) in 5 or so minute peice would be great. God of Thunder isn't so bad.... instead of watching over me, maybe Creeping Death by metallica?

shooky
01-27-2007, 09:37 AM
play smells like teen spirit....NOT!
you can probably pull off back in black if you like the song and your guitarist is a good player, but if he isnt, you can just do the main riff and churos...

add666
01-27-2007, 09:39 AM
trust by megadeth - Its an easy song and not too heavy that people wont like it.
Lol - smells like teen spirit drop C

EirikFtw
01-27-2007, 10:11 AM
yeah, or probably Symphony of destruction - Megadeath :)
That's a cool song, and it's not hard either:)

Renka
01-27-2007, 10:47 AM
In that case try I Died For You by Iced Earth....
Yeah, I am kinda leaning in that direction actually. I know the entire song already, so that might be a good idea.

Just a detail, all your original songs have a name ending with an "a" ? Other than that, don't play a song if you are not sure you can pull it off it's always better to play easier songs, but playing them good, if not perfectly have you thought about making a medley? Playing a few good parts out of songs, but avoiding tricky parts like solos etc Maybe it would be a good idea to make a cover with your own sound, like smells like teen spirit drop c lol. Just remember to make it interesting to listen to. good luck
Yah, we are working on a concept album about the death sins, and the album title as well as the name of all the songs are in latin (funny thing about the "a" though, I never noticed that before! :p: ).

And that is some good advice on the hard songs, I'll keep that in mind.
The medley is also a very good idea. I might do that with a couple of Pantera songs (it's probably a little extreme for the crowd, but Pantera is just to good not to play! :D ).

I dunno about the Smells Like Teen Spirit thing though, I'm not a real big fan of Nirvana, and it wouldn't feel very good playing songs I don't actually like.

Ballad? lol Hallowed be thy name by Maiden? And as for a medley as previous stated, playing very popular riffs from a very popular band (Metallica, one of your influences) in 5 or so minute peice would be great. God of Thunder isn't so bad.... instead of watching over me, maybe Creeping Death by metallica?
That is a pretty good song, but none of us is real big on Maiden to be honest. We prefer American metal, rather than the old school Brittish metal.

The medley is a real good idea though, I'll defninently talk that over with the rest of the guys.

Creeping Death IS totally bitchin', but don't you think it would be a little excessive playing two Metallica tracks? Or is that a good thing?

play smells like teen spirit....NOT! you can probably pull off back in black if you like the song and your guitarist is a good player, but if he isnt, you can just do the main riff and churos...
Heh, yah, we'll probably stay away from any Nirvana or Greenday stuff.
Back in Black is an awesome song though. I'll check it out, athough I do have some concerns about the singing since I'm more of a death grunt kind of singer.
I'll mill it over though.

trust by megadeth - Its an easy song and not too heavy that people wont like it. Lol - smells like teen spirit drop C
I have never heard that song, so I'll definently check it out. Not a huge Megadeth fan though, but they do have some pretty good songs.

yeah, or probably Symphony of destruction - Megadeath That's a cool song, and it's not hard either
That track I have heard, and it is pretty cool. The main riff is easy enough, and I do have it tabbed out in a Total Guitar magazine, so I'll give it a go and se if I can handle it.
I am kinda concerned about the solo though...

Thanks a lot guys, that's some great advice so far!

De Amazing Blob
01-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Fade to Black might be a good one for a ballad. It's not like you have to do the solos, and you could probably pull off at least the first one.

Americanhoser
01-27-2007, 11:10 AM
You should be able to take on most solos with determination. Honest to god the first real committment towards a tough solo I ever made was Megadeth's Lucretia, and that was only the Dave Mustaine solo. It took me a month to perfect, but by making a comittment I became a much better guitar player. I reccomend you don't let the fact that they are challenging solos stop you. Just put the time and determination in and you can do it.
Playing two good metallica songs wouldn't necessarily over do it. You should go take a good listen to some Megadeth. I was once a Metallica die-hard, but when I found and listened to some Megadeth, I really began to develop as Musician.

z4twenny
01-27-2007, 12:19 PM
^ is right, megadeth does rock (i started out the opposite of you, listening to megadeth, then fell in love with metallica) but regardless megadeth is pretty sweet. check out 'trust' however beware, there is a somewhat intricate fingerpicked part in the middle of the song that will take some work to get down.

Klayy
01-27-2007, 08:03 PM
You should be able to take on most solos with determination. Honest to god the first real committment towards a tough solo I ever made was Megadeth's Lucretia, and that was only the Dave Mustaine solo. It took me a month to perfect, but by making a comittment I became a much better guitar player. I reccomend you don't let the fact that they are challenging solos stop you. Just put the time and determination in and you can do it.
Playing two good metallica songs wouldn't necessarily over do it. You should go take a good listen to some Megadeth. I was once a Metallica die-hard, but when I found and listened to some Megadeth, I really began to develop as Musician.

Yeah, that is very true
I had two big progressions, first was the solo for Nothing else matters (loong ago :P)
and then Master of puppets.

And for the smells like teen spirit
I only said smells like teen spirit cause my friends band did a cover like that just for a laugh so it was kinda the first song I thought of, but you can make any song in the world sound different. You can take Mary had a little lamb, change the title into Mary had a severed limb and growl out the melody :D

Tophue
01-27-2007, 08:24 PM
play some beatles

Teh1337Hax0rz
01-27-2007, 09:05 PM
maybe the remembrance ballad by atreyu

Americanhoser
01-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Domination - Pantera
Ace of Spades - Motorhead
The American Way - Sacred Reich

El Penguino
01-28-2007, 07:14 PM
dont play stuf you guys are not in to, and try to get it down or don't do it

Teh1337Hax0rz
01-28-2007, 07:33 PM
hollow - pantera

qurazy
01-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Listen to Megadeth and try playing some hair metal.

Helloween_rox
02-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Down With The Sickness by Disturbed
The Beautiful People by Marylin Manson
Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth

And basically anything by Godsmack are some good and pretty easy metal songs to play.

White_Devil
02-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Crystal Mountain by Death

blacklabelsdmf
02-03-2007, 10:20 AM
ok, so what you said is you like Slayer but have a crap guitarist right? good luck with that. Pantera, well you can get away with a few solos such as cemetary gates, hollow, and primal concrete sledge, other than that you're ****ed. and take the everyones advice: Megadeath. its the real metallica. songs like symphony of distruction, trust, or sweating bullets.

METSOAD
02-05-2007, 04:02 AM
why not have a go at playing Nymphetmine (the long version) by Cradle of Filth

singer_johnny90
02-06-2007, 11:36 PM
i cant believe no one mentioned Walk by Pantera! easy as hell to play, and sounds awesome.

Gabuydachk
02-09-2007, 05:42 PM
two cover songs by the same band is a no-no :no:

Renka
02-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Hi again, been a while since I posted a reply (although I have been checking back on the thread every time someone has posted anything, and I've read and considered all posts carefully).

I've spoken with the band and we made a revised set list.

Opening act: Violate - Iced Earth
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Superbia - Original
Electric Funeral - Black Sabbath
Luxuria - Original
Walk (probably minus the solo, if anything I'll try and write something on my own) - Pantera
Ira - Original
Extra act: Highway to Hell - ACDC

The song we are still not a 100% sure about is the Black Sabbath tune. It is very slow, and we have our doubts about wheter the crowd will dig a song like that. The rest of our set is kinda frantic, at least compared to what is usually played at that place.
Thing is, we have our favourite bands represented already (Metallica, Iced Earth and Pantera), and if we kick Sabbath out, we need a new song. As we are not very big on Megadeth or any of the newer metalcore bands out there (Lamb of God, Trivium etc.) this will be a problem.
Perhaps we will go with the medley idea? But the bands are already represented! Argh.

daff
02-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Metallica One is a pretty easy song. The first solo is easy to pull off and im sure the other solo wont be that hard.

darthbuttchin
02-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Children Of Bodom- OOps i did it again
maybe without the solo tho