Nervous about first gig

PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about first gig

G.I.R.L
01-27-2007, 03:34 PM
My band is supporting our friend's band next Friday (who are big in the local area) and I am nervous as hell. Ar practice with them yesterday I almost threw up during our set list. Me and the singer had to run outside to throw up and we were frozen with fear outside. I really don't know why I'm like this because I really want to play. Then I realised we couldn't even play our set list so I have to write two originals for next week and to top it off I have writers block,. How can I calm myself down?

treflip
01-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Don't play if you're in that much of a state. The whole point of a gig is to enjoy it, and if you're that worked up about it, you won't enjoy it one bit.

Liarsenic12
01-27-2007, 03:38 PM
picture everyone in there underwear.

Saitoh
01-27-2007, 03:38 PM
First of all it very common to be nervous about the first gig(and other gigs aswell). Alcohol would do good getting you calm. If you don't wanna drink then try to think of it as fun and don't think about playing something wrong and such.

AdamDK
01-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Just sit back and relax. Don't think you're playing in front of people. If it really helps (Although you'll have 0 stage presence) don't take your eye off the fretboard at the show.

G.I.R.L
01-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Don't play if you're in that much of a state. The whole point of a gig is to enjoy it, and if you're that worked up about it, you won't enjoy it one bit.

I really want to though, I just get worried about screwing up, and I need to find a way to calm myself down.

sloppyjoe24
01-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Don't worry, once you get started playing on the set, the nerves kinda go away

Andras5soul
01-27-2007, 03:40 PM
the first few minutes will prolly suck if your that nervous but ull get into it by the 2nd song trust me.

Gibson_Rocker13
01-27-2007, 03:42 PM
smoke a joint

NOtrab
01-27-2007, 03:42 PM
tell the people that u r nervous...talk to the people.thats what i do

##_Guitar-newb
01-27-2007, 03:44 PM
pretend your punk, the whole point is to mess up then. Also, dont be silly! 2 people throwing up at rehearsal...jesus.

-andrew-andrew-
01-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Just practice really hard all the time before the gig and dont think about screwing up just play to have fun. The times I played not thinking about screwing up i played alot better and had alot of fun.

elcheezor
01-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Just remember, that most most of the people in the audience only wished they could play. Just take some deep breaths, and what they said before, unless your lead singer, you really don't have to address the crowd that much, relax, take some deep breaths, and just play.

GiantRaven
01-27-2007, 06:24 PM
If you're playing original, noone will notice you screw up if you handle it well ;)

jfbrown42
01-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Just keep playing, no matter what happens.

Teh1337Hax0rz
01-27-2007, 09:07 PM
before a gig i isolate myself in a room and blast music...usually heavy thrash that way when i get to stage i'm pumped, and when i'm pumped i don't mess up

trio fan
01-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Nobody will notice if you screw up. Just have a couple of beers and you'll be ok

Helloween_rox
01-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Or smoke some weed before hand, like maybe 1 joint. It'll take the edge off a lot.

SGstriker
01-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Dude seriously, once your on stage you forget about the nervousness. Its all about the music once your onstage...thats what its like for me anyway. Just go crazy with it.

Skuzzmo
01-28-2007, 04:03 PM
You've just got to bite the bullet, get up there and get thru it.....the nerves will go after about 5 minutes and you'll be buzzing and have a big grin on your face......if you don't do it you'll be so pissed of with yourself....

And if your scared of making a twat of yourself and what the audince thinks...screw them, so what if 'x' number of people thought you were crap. Unfortunatly there aren't any tips or tricks to stop you feeling the way you are now, you've just got ta get up there and do it.

But once you've broken your stage virginity you'll wanna be up there all the time....

Shredlet
01-29-2007, 07:58 AM
masturbate

poochy
01-29-2007, 08:26 AM
unless you have an audience full of perfect pitched, music theory nuts, no one will really notice minor flaws. One of the greatest pieces of advice I got when I first started playing gigs was that even great players and performers mess up live. Live recordings are patched together, and edited like hell. Oh, and take from Crosby Stills and Nash.... live at Woodstock... it was their second gig, and after screwing up Suite: Judy Blue Eyes they announced "This is the second time we've ever played in front of people. We're scared shitless!" But, you probably don't have too many covers, so no one will notice if you mess up an original.

Sorry for the rambling, and incoherentness of this, by the way.

Shredlet
01-29-2007, 08:37 AM
okay take this advice: just dont mess up okay!? just dont, the audience will boo you and you will cry like a little girl and then the auidence will laugh at you.... so just dont mess up!

Have I jinxed you yet? :p:

Remeber dont mess up!

anoceanapart
01-29-2007, 12:22 PM
The first song you'll be nervous- from then on you'll just be having fun.

What's with puking at rehearsal though?

Ymogn
01-30-2007, 12:32 AM
I really want to though, I just get worried about screwing up, and I need to find a way to calm myself down.

If you've ever seen anything Hendrix did live you have no reason to fear screwing up. You can't possibly do as badly as he did on numerous occasions.

Shredlet
01-30-2007, 03:54 AM
well how the **** is he gonna burn his guitar genious!?

GiantRaven
01-30-2007, 06:20 AM
well how the **** is he gonna burn his guitar genious!?
Calm down, you seem very hostile...

Jearl
01-30-2007, 07:11 PM
just remember that you have the whole band with you so its not like youre alone

gtrfrk123
01-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Just sit back and relax. Don't think you're playing in front of people. If it really helps (Although you'll have 0 stage presence) don't take your eye off the fretboard at the show.
unless you're like me and headband and rock out and stuff while playing alone, lol. this guy knows what he's talking about, anytime i ever play for anyone, i pretend there's no one there

bucky_2300
01-30-2007, 11:30 PM
When on stage, make like you know exactly what you are doing. It reads well for the audience, and it relaxes you. I also try to make sure that I'm really warmed up, and triple-check everything so I don't worry about gear on stage.

This last one is one that I know really works for me, but not some others, so take it with a grain of salt.

Enter really ostentatiously. Not Elton John kind of ostentatious, but with that "I am the **** of the goddamn walk" attitude. I like to hit a huge loud A power chord, and immediately run out on stage. Ninety-five percent of the time, you'll get a roar from the audience, and there are few things that feel as good as that. Just let the chord ring, and then start in to your first song. It's simple and easy, so it's virtually impossible to screw up. Also, it sounds and looks absolutely wicked.

666Sabbath666
02-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Talk to the audience and maybe make some jokes, and by the second or third song you'll be good

nephi
02-04-2007, 08:57 PM
man, just go out and play.. i guess almost everyone has the first gig jitters.. but performing is just so great, you just have to go!