Alt & Indie AOTM: DEERHOOF - Friend Opportunity

PDA

View Full Version : Alt & Indie AOTM: DEERHOOF - Friend Opportunity

DorkusMalorkus
01-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Yes! I decided to write a new Album of the Month. I haven't done it in so long, mostly because of the lack of replies this thing gets, and because I haven't really bought any new album that really made me want to write one (and by "album" I mean real album, not EP, I would have used Animal Collectiv'e People EP (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/40653/Animal_Collective_People_EP), but decided against it)...until now. Without further ado:

Deerhoof's Friend Opportunity

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000LP5FUE.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V48442882_.jpg
I was wandering through Best Buy, when I really should have been writing a five-page essay that is due on monday (in fact, I should probably be writing that right now). I was winding my way through the aisles, getting ready to go, when I remembered, for whatever reason, Pumpkins_Rule's thread (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512854), which mentioned Deerhoof's Friend Opportunity. I made my way to the D's and quickly located "Deerhoof." I was walking to the register with the CD in hand, when I noticed a small crack in the case. I went back, to find another: the only other, uncracked, perfect.

I opened the CD in the car, and popped it in the player, while looking at the strange but very-Deerhoof art work of David Shrigley (scans will come later). I quickly realize that this album is almost every element of Deerhoof's discography combined into one CD. Satomi Matsuzaki's amazingly cute voice (obviously), Greg Saunier's strange percussion (although not as chaotic), John Dieterich's disjointed catchy guitar lines, polished pop songs, and some strange little electro-ones, with a little straight up rock, underground dance, and soft melodic ballads influence all wrapped up into 2-3 minute songs (with the exception of their last 11 minute track). And it all adds up to make a really great album

I think the departure of Chris Cohen is marked by the lack of high pitched guitar noodling. However, I feel that his departure doesn't make Deerhoof any better or worse, just different. It allowed them to do something new, in the same way that Sonic Youth returned to its roots after Jim O'Rourke left. This "something new' is a combination of everything Deerhoof has done.

From the very beginning of "The Perfect Me" to the quiet-loud-quiet-loud "The Galaxist" to the wacky "Kidz Are So Small", you know that this is Deerhoof through and through. Deerhoof doing what Deerhoof does best: A perfect blend of fun vocal melody, playful guitar ditties, ecclectic drumming, and the classic and pure Deerhoof pop bliss that we have all come to know and love. I highly recommend it. Here is the tracklist. The highlighted ones are some of my favorites.

The Perfect Me2:40
+813:03
Believe E.S.P.3:07
The Galaxist2:40
Choco Fight3:01
Whither the Invisible Birds?3:11
Cast of Crown2:47
Kidz Are So Small1:59
Matchbook Seeks Maniac3:23
Look Away11:45

Sorry for not breaking down each track, but I don't really want to, considering how little replies these things get.

And a sticky would be appreciated Andrew, or J0nn...

starsnostars
01-27-2007, 09:24 PM
i'm not a fan of deerhoof but thank you so much for taking the time and doing this, i'll try to check the album out anyway

RyanEck
01-27-2007, 09:29 PM
I haven't heard anything New by them, so maybe I'd enjoy it, but I wasn't impressed by Deerhoof when I first heard of them. You say it's different, if not "better" or "worse" in your opinion than traditional Deerhoof, so maybe I'll look into it a bit. I'd've been more excited about Animal Collective, but I agree that it's better to write something like this on a full album.

DorkusMalorkus
01-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm not a fan of DeerhoofI don't know how much you've listened to them, but read the following.
I wasn't impressed by Deerhoof when I first heard of themI was the same way (I believe Slinks was too). I really could not stand Satomi's voice when I first listened to Deerhoof. But for some unknown reason, when I listened to them again after a couple of months, I fell in love with them. So I really hope you'll try again with Deerhoof, it worked for me.

Doolittle
01-27-2007, 11:42 PM
good review, and nice SY comparison!

nopop
01-28-2007, 03:17 AM
well done.

DorkusMalorkus
01-28-2007, 01:04 PM
good review, and nice SY comparison!
Thanks. It makes a lot of sense though. SY kind of went back to its roots, but used everything that they had learned with Jim. I think it worked the same way with Deerhoof.well done.
Thanks.

sponj
01-28-2007, 06:21 PM
didn't knew they anything new out!
I'll try to get it when I have some money (saving up for the mxr blue box).

I'd just like to state that Deerhoof is perfect because it makes me laugh (there's a song of theirs that reminds me of ducks, it's from Reveille) and it's brilliant

uhh_me?
01-28-2007, 06:22 PM
listening to it now...so far so good

Monkeygone2hvn
01-28-2007, 10:40 PM
i've nevr really been into this band, i have the album apple o' and i listened to it once and i cant seem to stand the girls voice, i'll try and give it another try but i cant say if i'll like it. how does apple o' compare to the rest of their stuff?

DorkusMalorkus
01-29-2007, 01:40 AM
i've nevr really been into this band, i have the album apple o' and i listened to it once and i cant seem to stand the girls voice, i'll try and give it another try but i cant say if i'll like it. how does apple o' compare to the rest of their stuff?
Apple O' is really good. It has some great tracks, and amazing drumming. I don't know if I think Reveille is better or not, but some do and some don't. I can't compare to Milk Man because I don't have that one, and I can hardly compare it to the Runners Four because I've not properly listened to it. I like Apple O'. Especially the songs "Flower" "Dummy Discards a Heart" "Panda Panda Panda" and "My Diamond Star Car".

Monkeygone2hvn
01-29-2007, 01:47 AM
Apple O' is really good. It has some great tracks, and amazing drumming. I don't know if I think Reveille is better or not, but some do and some don't. I can't compare to Milk Man because I don't have that one, and I can hardly compare it to the Runners Four because I've not properly listened to it. I like Apple O'. Especially the songs "Flower" "Dummy Discards a Heart" "Panda Panda Panda" and "My Diamond Star Car".

thanks i'll give those a try and i'll get back to you guys on what conclusion i've come to

uhh_me?
01-29-2007, 03:33 PM
thanks i'll give those a try and i'll get back to you guys on what conclusion i've come to
ya ya ya for sure listen to panda panda panda again...its the best song ever created about a panda

paintITblack39
01-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Nice article, I'll check it out sometime.

fronkpies
01-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Got this the other day, love it.

Doolittle
01-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks. It makes a lot of sense though. SY kind of went back to its roots, but used everything that they had learned with Jim. I think it worked the same way with Deerhoof.
Thanks.
i'm actaully thinking about buying this album now! thanks. it'd be cool if you started doing this more, cause it's pretty helpful. Instead of some big magazine company telling you how it is, you get someone around your own age with similar tastes, that's just something corporations can't touch.

DorkusMalorkus
01-31-2007, 07:13 PM
i'm actaully thinking about buying this album now! thanks. it'd be cool if you started doing this more, cause it's pretty helpful. Instead of some big magazine company telling you how it is, you get someone around your own age with similar tastes, that's just something corporations can't touch.
I'm going to try to do more. I usually just run out of ideas and time. I usually don't go out and buy the most modern CDs (which I've been working on). So hopefully, there will be more of these. And knowing that some people actually like them is encouraging.

uhh_me?
02-04-2007, 11:51 PM
So speaking of this album and Deerhoof I had a giggle today...so I was paging through Rolling Stone (shush, I realize it is quite a poor magazine) and in their "Breaking" section there was an article about Deerhoof. I was all "yo, Deerhoof has been around for years, what makes them breaking?"

So yeah, that made me laugh

DorkusMalorkus
02-05-2007, 12:18 AM
So speaking of this album and Deerhoof I had a giggle today...so I was paging through Rolling Stone (shush, I realize it is quite a poor magazine) and in their "Breaking" section there was an article about Deerhoof. I was all "yo, Deerhoof has been around for years, what makes them breaking?"

So yeah, that made me laugh
Really? Wow. Deerhoof has been around for about 11 years (more if you count the time before Satomi joined).

starsnostars
02-05-2007, 01:57 AM
i heard a few tracks from the album the other day. i didn't fall in love with it, but i did find myself not loathing it like previous albums. who knows, i'll keep giving it trys and it might grow on me.

on a side note- AOTM is something that definitely needs to be resurrected. if you don't end up doing the next one dorkus, i might try to pick up the slack

onlyonehere
02-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Ok, you've convinced me. Sounds like a band I would like. I've bought a couple of tracks in iTunes. I'll let you know what I think.

Also, I said i'd do an artist of the month at some point, and i'd still really like to it if Andrew could give me a heads up when to do it.

Andrewbiles
02-05-2007, 08:23 PM
^ Whenever you want (except from Friday to Wednesday, although Jon can probably sort it if you ask him).

Deerhoof are great, but not sure about getting this one, I've slowly become a bit suspicious of albums that get a bunch of rave reviews. Will probably pick it up later in the year when it's going cheaply, just saving up at the moment.

Cheers for writing this :cheers:

onlyonehere
02-07-2007, 05:22 AM
So just Thursday then? :p:

I'll get one written this week and put it up next Thursday if that's cool? :)

Andrewbiles
02-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Yeah, fine by me.

paintITblack39
02-07-2007, 08:23 PM
^You just want to make a sign-up thread for this? It can get things organized.

DorkusMalorkus
02-07-2007, 08:59 PM
^You just want to make a sign-up thread for this? It can get things organized.
It'd be a waste of a thread. There really aren't a lot of people that want to do it, and less that will actually follow through.

Andrewbiles
02-08-2007, 06:52 AM
Yeah, sign-up threads are always more effort to organise than they're worth. People forget, people go away, people just don't want to a month later.

zt13
02-09-2007, 01:00 AM
ive been wanting to check deerhoof out for awhile. i've heard a lot of good things about the new album, this makes me want to check it out even more.

starsnostars
02-15-2007, 05:48 PM
i thought this was cool

http://www.ateaseweb.com/news/archive/2007/02/deerhoof_on_rad.php

onlyonehere
02-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Right, apologies for the fact I haven't done the AOTM but i've been ill and busy etc. But i'm sure leaving it a few days isn't too bad. I'll stick one up tonight when I get home :)

Andrewbiles
02-19-2007, 04:59 AM
^ Don't worry, I've been ill too. Don't know how much Jon's been around.

In relation to Deerhoof, the split with Vashti Bunyan and co. has been purchased. Whilst looking around for new things to listen to I've also come across this 'friend opportunity' album a few times in shops and the cover has really put me off it. It's unreadable.