Kicking out member

PDA

View Full Version : Kicking out member

Jerkoffkid
01-28-2007, 12:33 AM
So me and my friend started a "band" a while ago. We've been friends for a while. I'm the main-writer and every riff in the band is mine. Most of my riffs are more on the complex/fast side. I'm very serious about what I'm doing and put a lot of work into making tunes. The problem is he doesn't help out making songs. I'll try and teach him something but he'll daze off and start playing some a7x. Very, very annoying. Plus, he doesn't work on rhythm. It's only about leads for him. Having him out would be sweet. So...

Door 1 - He stays in the band and stinks the room up
Door 2 - He gets kicked out and takes it's like a woman. We're no longer friends

Do I have the right to kick him out?

jthm_guitarist
01-28-2007, 12:40 AM
How many people are in the band?

player o slayer
01-28-2007, 12:40 AM
hell yea. he sounds like a stoner to me but tell him how serious you are about your music and to either shape up or leave the band. try not to be a dick about it though

gwitersnamps
01-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Just ask him if he's as serious about it as you are. If he says he isn't, you can part ways amicably. You can still jam with him and stuff, but he won't be holding you back. If he says he is serious about it, tell him that he needs to show it.

shadowsoldier08
01-28-2007, 12:46 AM
yeah i know what you mean. i have a friend that ive known for the past 15 years, and once i started playing guitar, he started playin my brothers bass. now i havent heard him play other than the times he would "fiddle" on my guitar, nearly breaking all my strings with his fingers and slapping, but he has no beat whatsoever. now we were going to "start a band', and we have all the people worked out, but i cant stand to be in a band with someone who thinks he is hot shit when he is really just a bag of ego. the other members wont kick him out, being that he is one of the only bassists in school, so i either bite the bullet, or ruin the only chance i have at being in a band.

aside from my problem, if u have a readily replaceable guitarist that can take his place, take him. doestn matter how much or how long you have known him, if u cant stand him, boot him. its not like he would be a help to you to keep him eh?

Jerkoffkid
01-28-2007, 12:48 AM
How many people are in the band?

It's just me and him. Both play guitar.

Just ask him if he's as serious about it as you are. If he says he isn't, you can part ways amicably. You can still jam with him and stuff, but he won't be holding you back. If he says he is serious about it, tell him that he needs to show it.

He said he's really commited. Our ex-bassist said he was commited but his skill was low. To me, skill is more important.

pinkhaze29
01-28-2007, 12:54 AM

Thats more like the band breaking up isnt it?

Dutch_Apples
01-28-2007, 04:14 AM
You don't have a band. If you decide not to play with him anymore, you aren't kicking him out... you are just ditching him. He may have a mental disorder which makes him not concentrate. Also don't feel like all of your "bandmates" need to write stuff.. I actually prefer to not have it that way. But if he doesn't learn the stuff you play you have a problem. Mention something to him and give 2 weeks notice. If not, find an actual band to play with.

GiantRaven
01-28-2007, 10:17 AM

Some band...

Go find some better people to play with

JackFlash19
01-29-2007, 04:31 AM
LOL 2 people do not make a band. It's just 2 guys playing together. It's nothing. Ditch the other guy and find another better guitarist. It might take you a while but the time you lose with him keeping you down is time lost where you could be bettering yourself or playing with a better guitarist.

2 people = band.... :haha

Mr.Rodgers
01-29-2007, 05:47 AM
You don't have a band. If you decide not to play with him anymore, you aren't kicking him out... you are just ditching him. He may have a mental disorder which makes him not concentrate. Also don't feel like all of your "bandmates" need to write stuff.. I actually prefer to not have it that way. But if he doesn't learn the stuff you play you have a problem. Mention something to him and give 2 weeks notice. If not, find an actual band to play with.

True that. I actually hate it because, granted you're getting new ideas, but then you have too mch stuff to work with, and some people get pissy if you don't use their idea.

Take Metallica. Granted the riffs came from all 4 of them, but for the first 5 albums, Hetfield and Ulrich wrote all the songs. And look where it got them.

But the point of kicking him out of your "band"... you don't actually have one. If you find some other people to play with, maybe he'll become more focused and take i seriously. So try that. If he doesn't afer that, well at least you have a bassist and a drummer (and a vocalist if your lucky lol) so all you need is another guitarist.