Fernandez Sustain Circuit switch

PDA

View Full Version : Fernandez Sustain Circuit switch

loop-de-luke
01-28-2007, 02:12 AM
Does anyone know where you can get Sustain Circuits to build into your guitar?
Because I'm wanting to put in a Sustain switch in my guitar that I'm building but I can't find any anywhere...
The basic idea of it is going to be like Matt Bellamy's Manson guitar (with the Kaoss Pad and all the other cool stuff) and he apparently has something called a Fernandez Sustain Circuit built into the guitar...
It is explained in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ022eXOK2Q

the_random_hero
01-28-2007, 02:24 AM
You mean this (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fernandes-Sustainer-System-Kit?sku=300420) ?

freedumb
01-28-2007, 02:27 AM
you could just get a compressor/sustainer pedal.

kmf1
01-28-2007, 02:30 AM
sound like an expensive mistake you are about to make mate

the_random_hero
01-28-2007, 03:22 AM
sound like an expensive mistake you are about to make mate

Well, it isn't exactly cheap, but I haven't heard a bad word about it yet. I've seen plenty of people who have saved for one and have been really satisfied with the results.
I say if he's got the money and has done the research, go for it
:cheers:

ormsby guitars
01-28-2007, 04:48 AM
ive fitted around ten of these units, to both fretted and fretless six string guitars. They are great, but expect a high installation cost if you cant do it yourself. I wouldnt recommend you attempt fitting it without extensive guitar electronics knowledge, AND good router skills.

You'll get infinate sustain, at any position, and the ability to have it feedback to a harmonic as well, at the flick of a switch (see Vai's 'tongue fretting' technique tricks for funky usage of the harmonic switch).

A compressor/sustainer pedals is absolutely not it any way even simular to a sustainer unit, so dont bother with that idea.

If you need pics at all, ive got one guitar in the shop which is about to be chopped up to have a sustainer fitted. It will be done within a few days, so if you need pics, let me know ASAP.

loop-de-luke
01-28-2007, 06:00 AM
Pics would be nice if you're happy to do some...

I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay somewhere over $300 australian for a fernandes sustain switch, so I think I'll give it a miss for now.
The guitar I'd be putting it on is my custom guitar that I'm building which has a strat body, so I probably wouldn't need to route any wood for it, maybe just drill a hole in the pickguard or somethin for it.

Anyway, I want to make my guitar with the most unique shit on it as possible, so one of these babies would probably top it off with uniqueness (aside the Korg Kaoss pad, that's too difficult to find/too expensive)... So I'll save up and maybe one day I'll be able to get one, But for now feel free to keep posting info/pics of them and stuff!

ormsby guitars
01-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Pics would be nice if you're happy to do some...

I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay somewhere over $300 australian for a fernandes sustain switch, so I think I'll give it a miss for now.
The guitar I'd be putting it on is my custom guitar that I'm building which has a strat body, so I probably wouldn't need to route any wood for it, maybe just drill a hole in the pickguard or somethin for it.

Anyway, I want to make my guitar with the most unique shit on it as possible, so one of these babies would probably top it off with uniqueness (aside the Korg Kaoss pad, that's too difficult to find/too expensive)... So I'll save up and maybe one day I'll be able to get one, But for now feel free to keep posting info/pics of them and stuff!

It will cost you more than $300 aussie to install, if its installed correctly.
Its not just a switch, its an entire circuit board that requires a brand new cavity, custom made covers, etc etc.

You could always add it in afterwards when you have more cash. Im pretty sure the unit itself is about $400-500, but i havent bought one in years.

the_random_hero
01-28-2007, 06:50 AM
^That's a good ballpark figure. They are $220 on Musicians Friend, unfortunately it would end up being almost double that + installation in Australia.

loop-de-luke
01-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Does the whole thing come with pickups and stuff or something? Because the kits I've seen come with either pickups or just pickup covers and like tone/volume looking things aswell, do you need those for the sustain circuit to work?

the_random_hero
01-28-2007, 06:55 AM
Does the whole thing come with pickups and stuff or something? Because the kits I've seen come with either pickups or just pickup covers and like tone/volume looking things aswell, do you need those for the sustain circuit to work?

Have a read of this (http://www.aampselectricguitarstore.com/fernandes_guitars/fernandes_sustainer.html) page, it can explain it better than I can.

GnGonzalesjoe
01-28-2007, 09:56 PM
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23255
http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?storyCode=12719