Stage Presence

PDA

View Full Version : Stage Presence

JackFlash19
01-29-2007, 04:46 AM
Ok, I'm needing some advice on improving our stage presence. I don't think it's too terribly bad, but my singer thinks we have to be constantly moving. My lead guitarist is usually flat-footed on stage, does a little headbang, but I will forgive very little body movement if he is shredding away like crazy. I try to move around some, a jump here or there, but I don't want to be one of those bands that punk bands that flies all over stage doing retarded shit. My singer has always had a guitar in his hands and since I'm better at the more complicated stuff, the guitar has been out of his hands, and he's not sure what to do with himself on stage. ie hand placement, movement etc. Any tips or videos you could refer me to that would give a great example? Enough movement to keep the fans entertained but notsomuch as it looks like we are trying to cover up for bad playing (which we are not). I don't want to sacrifice playing a song well for moving, but at the same time don't want to look boring and stiff (which is what I saw of me from the 1st show of mine that was recorded) TIA - Travis

NovemberRain273
01-29-2007, 04:50 AM
Check out Pantera, they're awesome live. The singer does some wierd stuff with his hands and head bangs n shit, it's pretty cool.

18th_Angel
01-29-2007, 04:57 AM
Check some clips of 'at the drive in' to see some cool stuff you can do with a mike

JackFlash19
01-29-2007, 04:58 AM
well we aren't nearly as hardcore as pantera is (sig check for myspace link), and none of us has hair long enough to get away with that kinda thing onstage (constant headbanging, not to mention it gives me a headache lol) So I'm trying to think of other ideas. Thanks for the suggestion though, see if you can throw another, not-so-hardcore one at me lol

Ballsack5000
01-29-2007, 05:01 AM
Dragonforce

JamesKirtlan
01-29-2007, 05:15 AM
look at rammstein live, they hardly move at all but they hav such a powerful stage presence. possibly the strongest ive ever seen.

wongacaster
01-29-2007, 07:08 AM
just go crazy.
best thing to do.
i saw a band at the battle of the bands near were i live their singer went f*cking crazy he was like jumping all over the place and trying to climb up shit, easily the most entertaining show of the day and they had the best stage presence.
ohh and the getaway plan(australian hardcore band) guitarist goes crazy which is great he doesnt really run around the stage he just stands their and throws his guitar about and headbangs.

so yeah just go off jump around and stuff what ever you feel is right.

Ymogn
01-30-2007, 12:40 AM
AC/DC. Angus Young. The Shit.

Stacked Actors
01-30-2007, 01:27 AM
Have fun. You'll look retarted if you try and copy someone elses moves. Just move to the music and have fun with it.

CoolDudeMorgasm
01-30-2007, 02:36 AM
For the singer, if you don't get a mic stand, get one. I think it looks lame when they just hold the mic in their hands.

GiantRaven
01-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Do a little dance :)

tlebh2
01-30-2007, 06:41 AM
get a mic with a chord and swing it

BrianApocalypse
01-30-2007, 11:10 AM
One thing I found useful was something along the lines of

"take the most unstable aspect of your psersonaility and amplify it...

Unless you're shy... in which case you're ****ed" :haha

GiantRaven
01-30-2007, 11:33 AM
One thing I found useful was something along the lines of

"take the most unstable aspect of your psersonaility and amplify it...

Unless you're shy... in which case you're ****ed" :haha
By that logic...i'd wander round the stage looking slightly drunk and then fall over

Sounds like fun :)

Canadian_Surfer
01-30-2007, 12:38 PM
check out some live videos of hedley, the singers always doing some cool moves, and of course for some tricks with the mic stand, check out the tragically hip :D

darthbuttchin
01-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Facial Expressions

qurazy
01-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Look up these live performances on youtube by

The Who: (For old fashioned fidgeting I.E. the windmill strum)

The Dead Boys: (True punk thrashing about making uglyfaces.) ((Sonic Reducer))

AC/DC: (Angus Young pretty much does the same motion over and over, marching in place and bending up and down.)

David Lee Roth: (Watch the Yankee Rose music video. Roth can undulate like its no woman's buisness. It's also got guitar spins and all sorts of banter.)

Buckethead: (His crazy numbchuck act is not to be missed)

Hendrix: (Of course)

Iggy Pop: (Peanut Butter)

AdamDK
01-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Dude, all you guys need to do is have fun. If you're having fun, you'll move to the music, and end up coming out with good stage presence. As for the singer, he just needs to relax, and pretty much just dance. Look at people like Axl Rose when they're singing - people like him are running around,a nd just entertaining when solo's are on, etc.

roast
01-30-2007, 07:42 PM
You shouldnt have to rehearse stage moves....well, mayeb a scissors kick, but just go with the music, k?

unconstrained60
01-30-2007, 09:14 PM
1) I like the music, keep it up

Now onto the topic, I agree with a lot of the guys, just have fun.

Also, check out some Chili Peppers and Zeppelin videos.

Zeppelin is absolutely huge, they seem like gods on stage and they don't jump around like morons.

And the presence of all the members of RHCP is insane, they just seem to do nothing but have fun.

Scourge441
01-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Stage presence is important for keeping the audience's attention, and the best way to do that is to connect with the audience and act like your having fun. You don't necessarily have to thrash around like Angus, but just have fun, and that should take care of it.

phatsack
01-30-2007, 09:56 PM
if you are ACTUALLY enjoying what you are playing, it will show - just loosen up and rock out

MeTaLhead90
01-30-2007, 09:59 PM
wear something really weird on stage. im not sayin go all goth and freak ppl out, but something like kiss's face paint or flea's stuffed animal pants and make up ur own stuff. also check out the metal heath music video its by quiet riot.

gtrfrk123
01-30-2007, 11:15 PM
if you have a mic w / a chord, then swing it
if you have a wireless, defanately take it out into the aisles and stuff like that
if you're playing guitar you wanna jump a lot, i found it's a great way to have fun and not feel like a complete tool, just go crazy and don't be afraid to break a sweat

nick83
01-31-2007, 12:50 AM
i think the chili peppers have the best stage prescence of any band in my opinion
the music should determine how u move

nick83
01-31-2007, 12:52 AM
good music by the way

GiantRaven
01-31-2007, 09:11 AM
if you have a mic w / a chord, then swing it
if you have a wireless, defanately take it out into the aisles and stuff like that
if you're playing guitar you wanna jump a lot, i found it's a great way to have fun and not feel like a complete tool, just go crazy and don't be afraid to break a sweat
Only jump a lot if it isn't going to make you sound like ass

tilleking
01-31-2007, 11:53 AM
if you are ACTUALLY enjoying what you are playing, it will show - just loosen up and rock out

So true...

We played a gig last night and I have to admit that our stage presence was shit. The sound from the amps they'd provided was dire. So hard to get into the bloody music when you can't even achieve a semi-decent sound... :mad:

812many
01-31-2007, 08:07 PM
check out the doors. check out zep. check out the beatles. they dont move that much, great stage presense. wait... the doors, kinda move... meh.

Schiz31
02-01-2007, 01:30 AM
One word, Axlrobics. Can't beat it. Its a delicate science, but if you do it right, its VERY entertaining. I teach Axlrobics classes on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 5-7

Just have fun, adn people will have fun with you.

~Dan

METSOAD
02-01-2007, 03:55 AM
just look at Zach Dela Rocha, he dosen't move much, but when he does, he looks like he means business

Wonthefu
02-01-2007, 01:46 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Maynard James Keenan. If you can find any videos of him on stage, watch them. He has the most insane dance moves and costumes.

chilibassist
02-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Make sure everyone is moving all the time. Watch some videos of the Chili Peppers (Yeah, I said it.) or Pearl Jam in their early days.

MuffinMan
02-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Just go with the music. If you accent a chord, then accent the chord. Just get really into it. If you're into it, and you're losing yourself in the music, chances are others will get the vibe to do the same. Can't get any more specific than that, really. It's different for everyone.

JackFlash19
02-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. And thanks for the comments on our music :D I think I'm just gonna sit my singer down and just watch a bunch of diff live performances from some of the bands you guys listed along with other ones. Going to more local shows (good bands that is) and just have him do his own thing but that way he'll have some new ideas in his head that may transfer into a live show. Anyway I think I'm just going to try to loosen up more and move alot more to the music. Thinking about it I'm focusing too much on hitting the notes instead of getting lost in the music (which you will hit the notes if you truly are) Thanks guys

BrianApocalypse
02-03-2007, 09:17 PM
By that logic...i'd wander round the stage looking slightly drunk and then fall over

Sounds like fun :)

By that logic... I would REALLY need to start behaving myself :p

zeppelinpage4
02-04-2007, 04:05 AM
Zeppelin had some of the best stage presence, try to watch a vid of them doing Achilles Last Stand.