Why Sillybuuger12 betrayed his principles and went digital.

PDA

View Full Version : Why Sillybuuger12 betrayed his principles and went digital.

sillybuuger12
01-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Why Sillybuuger12 betrayed his principles and went digital.
Should other guitarists do the same?

Everything in this article is opinion whether you agree with it or not is your choice youíre entitled to your opinion and I to mine.

Before getting into why Iíve finally gone digital I think I should explain that Iím an analogue freak, I love the sound of old vinyl and tube amps and nice analogue stomp boxes. Trouble is these things are expensive you can expect to pay anywhere between £50 and £200 for one analogue effects unit here in the UK, that is simply beyond the means of most of the guitarists on this site and elsewhere. True you should know how to play before you start playing around with effects too much but itís universally true that even a Squire Strat can sound good with a nice amp isnít it? How many of us would love that brand new all valve halve stack? I know I would! Trouble is I know I couldnít afford it; well not unless I liked not being on speaking terms with my Dad! Here lies the first reason Iíve gone digital simply put itís cheap, and not only is it cheap the technology has now advanced to the point where while it may not sound as good as the real thing it still sounds good enough for the bedroom and practising with your mates.

The second reason I have gone digital is convenience. Just to clarify Iím now running a program called ďGuitar Rig 2Ē through my PC that allows me to use my laptop as a guitar amp and effects unit instead of carting the whole lot around with me. And since I occasionally get a bad back this saves me a great deal of hassle and pain not to mention time that could be better spent playing music or drinking booze. Would you rather carry your guitar laptop and a control pedal about and run it through the PA system at a venue or plug in and play having set it up at home beforehand OR spend hours ****ing around with leads and cables, carrying half stacks out of the van and then spending ages setting levels ect? I know which I prefer also as an added bonus you can get more distortion at lower volumes like this. However having said that if youíre a fan of controlled feedback youíll hate digital since you wonít be able to do this. But for the rest of us the sheer ease of use more than makes up for this, plus the guy on the sound desk likes you since it makes his job that much easier.

Another reason and besides the cost possibly the most important reason Iíve gone digital is volume. With guitar amplifiers be they solid state or valve they sound better when you pushing them hard, that means you need to play LOUD. To put it in perspective I own a Park JTM 50 half stack that was made in the sixties (itís basically a Marshall with a different name plate on it) now to get the sound I like I have to play it somewhere between 6 and 10. This can be heard from the other end of my road and when I do this, bits of my house rattle and vibrate (not much but audibly so). Guess what? My next door neighbours hate this amp with a passion! This is where digital comes in although itís not as fun I can now play to that level of overdriven, distortionalised filth that all guitarists know and love, quite apart from the fact it saves me going deaf, Iím no longer in danger of getting an ASBO (Anti-Social-Behaviour-Order for those of you who don't live in the UK) slapped on me by the local police

A Filth reason or my switch is versatility, although their better analogue things ainít that versatile. With one digital program on a laptop I can do what would probably need an entire room full of equipment with analogue. A friend of mine recently told me that he thought we were in the middle of what he termed ďthe technological revolutionĒ just as there was an industrial one 100 years ago or so, and you know what? Heís right. We are increasingly turning away from mechanical things like the valve amp in favour of more convenient digital tech that can simply do much more faster and with less expertise. Itís sad, possibly even tragic in a way but itís a fact.

Even with my music collection Iím changing over to digital despite my large vinyl collection and CD collection, Iím increasingly transferring it onto my PC and external hard drive and using i-tunes to listen to it. Why I hear you ask? Once again itís convenient and cheap. I can download ect now and while groups such as the MPA (music publishers association) hate this itís actually good for the artists since they build up a fan base quicker and get more people to their gigs which is where they actually make their money not of the albums, lets face it the album is simply a way of getting you to come to see them live. So when asked if I feel guilty about downloading the answer is no, in fact Iím proud of it! And like the running of the guitar through my PC I can carry my entire music collection (if I pushed play on the first song it would take a month to play every single song without a pause) with me now on an external hard drive and can get music off my friends PCís easily as well.

Sadly although it is in terms of quality a superior sounding system will always be analogue and I donít care what anyone says analogue has a sound, feel and charm all itís own that the sterility of digital will never EVER surpass, for the average young guitarist or in my case university student whoís in debt up to their eyeballs any way, itís just beyond us! Digital offers us a stop gap until we actually can get out hands on this stuff and have the time to appreciate it. Bu Iím beginning to wonder, even though we guitarists are generally an extremely conservative bunch when it comes to our guitars, amps and effects how long does analogue have left?

Thatís your lot!
Sillybuuger12

TOcheesehead
01-30-2007, 12:01 PM
are we supposed to read all that???

Logz
01-30-2007, 12:04 PM

Idiot.
If you cant post without spamming dont post at all.

This is a contribution section. Its where people send in their columns and lessons etc to get reviewed before submitting them to the main website.

Go back to the newbie forum and learn the rules before you go spamming these forums.

Ishiga
01-30-2007, 12:05 PM
That was an assload to read. I only read parts of it, but I get where you're comin' from. Classic valve amps sound better, but digital is cheaper, easier to use, smaller; thus more portable, and more versatile.

I use a line 6 Spider III 75W amp, digitech grunge effects pedal and B.C.Rich Avenge Son Of Beast.

Not the cheapest lineup, but still under a thousand. And I think it's great for practice. (Wouldn't know about gigging, I'm not that good yet and last time (also the first time) I cranked it up to max volume, all I could hear was this exploding noise, almost too loud to recognize. So I don't really know how loud it gets.)

But it's great for bedroom practice. Sounds pretty smooth.

sillybuuger12
01-30-2007, 12:18 PM
it's an article they usualy are fairly long so that the writer can express their views on certain issues fully unlike a post in the forum you daft twat

Not the cheapest lineup, but still under a thousand. And I think it's great for practice. (Wouldn't know about gigging, I'm not that good yet and last time (also the first time) I cranked it up to max volume, all I could hear was this exploding noise, almost too loud to recognize. So I don't really know how loud it gets.)

solid stae don't always like being pushed too hard some can do it some can't spider 2's are digital amps and don't like being pushed too hard

FrenchyFungus
01-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Nice read, well layed out etc.

Some minor typos: (fifth = filth, half = halve, they're = their)

AdamDK
01-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Cool article. I'll always be a analogue guy, but I can dig where you're coming from - It is a hell of a less hassle being digital. But digital means relying on too much electrical stuff like laptops, and PC programs, etc.

Sir Edwin CBE
01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Apart from the spelling mistakes it was fine.

IndieMetalhead
01-31-2007, 01:21 PM
you do have a point. digital is cheaper and smaller and easier to maintain, but still has sterility. with recording studios even moving to digital recording analogue is getting old, other than dj's who uses Vinyls nowadays?

El Cumanťs
01-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Yes, everything have their pros and cons. I have Amplitube 2 and i can get a very good tone just playing with the settings and is the best for recording cause you don't need to get rid of the background noise and you just plug your guitar straight to the PC and play.

eminentgonz
02-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Solid. I don't know if I'd want to switch over, though. I like the feel of being plugged in to something massive.

cokeisbetter
03-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Solid. I don't know if I'd want to switch over, though. I like the feel of being plugged in to something massive.
Same here. I agree with the point about bringing your laptop to a gig, but I would honestly rather play through a cranked up amp, hassle and all. I see where you're coming from, but I just don't entirely agree with you.

Dave_Mc
03-10-2007, 04:00 PM
only thing I can see is, you mention about taking your laptop to a gig, digital (or at least the digital you're talking about) requires a laptop, so if you don't already have one, valve could be cheaper... plus you could get your laptop ruined/destroyed at a gig, and if you have coursework/theses etc. stored on that, that could be a problem.

Also, there are quite a few cheapo valve amps coming out/already out recently, like the valve junior, etc.

Other than that, good article. I liked the lack of bias. It's very hard to write articles and keep that out, good job.

:cheers:

AdamDK
03-10-2007, 04:32 PM
I agree with Dave, and what i said before. And I even now have a digital amp. But I still remain a analogue guy. It is dangerous taking a laptop to gig. If anything happens to it, BAM, your work is gone.

Dave_Mc
03-10-2007, 04:35 PM
^ to be fair, you can back your stuff up, but if you need your laptop for your work/education, it's a bit of a risk. Plus, you tend to forget to back stuff up...

But it's a nice article. Most of these articles are either by dyed-in-the-wool tube fans ("anything invented after 1959 is witchcraft!") or similarly unobjective digital fans who think anyone who uses tubes should "contemporise, man!". As I said, I like how this takes a pretty neutral stance, and looks at digital for what it is, etc.

:cheers:

ericgentz
03-10-2007, 05:12 PM
If your saying i shouldn't buy digitech (no I didn't take the time to read the whole thing) then I wont, seeing as all of it is garbage. VOX, Dunlop, and Boss ftw

Dave_Mc
03-10-2007, 09:17 PM
^ guh?

there are a couple of very nice digitech pedals (digidelay springs to mind, whammy), and a lot of the dunlop and boss pedals are little better than average, in my opinion...