My band is going to promote for our show at the mall....suggestions?

PDA

View Full Version : My band is going to promote for our show at the mall....suggestions?

redrumsixsix6
01-30-2007, 10:37 PM
yeah so like the title says, we are going to promote for our gig at the mall....how should we go about this. Suggestions please! How should we confront the people.

Angelus Mortem
01-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Flyers.

make a flyer with your band name/time/location.. and plaster the town with it

Record shops/music stores/ and hand them out...

Stick them on light poles.

make 500 copies and put them everywhere.

If you are a student, give them to classmates.

Let everyone know you are playing.

J6strings21fret
01-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Im not exactly sure, but some malls have bulliten boards to post events, make flyer and post it. Also, if your gonna contact people, make sure they arr...how should I say this..."click." Im sayin, if your a punk band, dont advertise to a 20 yr old prep...it wont work out....trust me :P.

Oneordinarylife
01-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Rent a hot air balloon, paint it with the gig details, hire someone to fly it so nobody in the band has to go up and potentially die.

Either that or the flier idea.

GL600FB
01-30-2007, 10:50 PM
put it on youtube =p

Angelus Mortem
01-30-2007, 10:53 PM
The internet is not a good idea here..

it has to be personal and local.

I used to make flyers for my band.. we won the Local battle of the bands 6 times in a row and retired from it undefeated.

It's all about getting the word out

drykilltrivhead
01-30-2007, 10:54 PM
1.Go on the internet, look up "how to make wheatpaste".
2.Then make a lot of copies of posters with an awesome picture or logo of your band, with name of band, time of gig, and date of gig. (what type of music you are, too)
3.Apply wheatpaste to the posters and stick up at mall and other places where lots of people will see it.
4. Being as wheatpaste is impossible to get off, the posters will be impossible to remove unless somebody sits there with a razor blade for an hour per poster.

redrumsixsix6
01-30-2007, 11:12 PM
We have some tickets to sell our selves as well...should we walk up to ppl who look like they would like the music and try selling them...maybe bring a cd player and show them what we sound like?

Neogioh
01-30-2007, 11:13 PM
We have some tickets to sell our selves as well...should we walk up to ppl who look like they would like the music and try selling them...maybe bring a cd player and show them what we sound like?

NO. That will turn people off automatically.

Set up a booth or something.

GiantRaven
01-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Set up a thing saying 'FREE CDs!' or something...

And hand out flyers and stuff

METSOAD
01-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Flyers, Posters, word of mouth and handing out demo's

redrumsixsix6
01-31-2007, 05:58 PM
well we cant really set up a booth....its a mall haha. But i will try and get at least one song for a demo. We have a lot of songs but there not quite done but i guess we can put like an un-mastered one on a cd....

darkspider 0
01-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Go up to a high balcony and throw money and fliers off of it.

OR for the less cliché, more civilised option, hand out demos and fliers, simple things.

whalepudding
02-03-2007, 10:08 PM
If you haven't got that much of a fanbase or publicity yet, make sure you tell everyone what sort of band it is. No-one's going to see a band based on just the name. Say what type of music you're going to play.

redrumsixsix6
02-12-2007, 10:16 AM
hey guys just to let you know that in New Jersey its illegal to promote your shows in the mall....or at the Quakerbridge mall anyway.........OH Well, the show went pretty well though

GiantRaven
02-12-2007, 10:18 AM
hey guys just to let you know that in New Jersey its illegal to promote your shows in the mall....or at the Quakerbridge mall anyway.........OH Well, the show went pretty well though
:haha

Good for your show going well :D

redrumsixsix6
02-12-2007, 07:47 PM
:haha

Good for your show going well :D

haha yeah, we were kicked out by a security guard wearing one of those really pointy saucer hat things (idk why they wear them inside) he told us to find our ways out of the mall.

Dutch_Apples
02-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Some of my former bandmates were also kicked out of a mall by a security guard before. They were just handing out flyers, not posting them anywhere. If you are playing in a store, they'll put up a poster for you guys if you give them one. Actualy give them more than 2 posters. For any show you ever have, think of this "Who will probably be there?" and the next question is "Where do these people hang out" . If you are playing at the mall around 7 pm on a Friday, you'll probably see a lot of teens, if you are playing at the mall at 1pm on a Tuesday, your audience will consist of 65 years old and up. If you are playing on a Saturday night, you'll have a mixed bag and probably a lot of familes.

If you know anyone who is an assistant manager or anything at another store in the mall, put a poster up there. Just make sure you ask people first, you don't want to give a bad impression before you even start playing. The local Hot Topic at my local mall doesn't allow posters in their window, but they do have a local music 3 ring binder at the front counter where you are free to put things. It's well known about and very accessible, ask for things like this.

I also like the Hot Air balloon idea......

The way to hate
02-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Flyers.

make a flyer with your band name/time/location.. and plaster the town with it

Record shops/music stores/ and hand them out...

Stick them on light poles.

make 500 copies and put them everywhere.

If you are a student, give them to classmates.

Let everyone know you are playing.

Seconded.

ALSO, if your school is like mine, they have a morning TV show. Advertise on that!

ALSO, invite your entire family, your friends, and all of your familie's friends. If everyone in your band does that, thats close to an extra 50 people... Assuming you're not an orphan and not a loser.