Why do i keep being asked to join bands =[

PDA

View Full Version : Why do i keep being asked to join bands =[

METSOAD
01-31-2007, 05:12 AM
I play bass (no shit) and i've been told (although i can't really see it) that i am the shit. I'm in a band and we are going very well, yet loads of people (mainly hip-hop artits and local metal bands) seem to want me to play for them, i have to turn them down which makes me like a prick, should go in more than one act or should i just stick with my oiginal band?

Final
01-31-2007, 05:26 AM
^Way to show off how much you know.:)

Bassists are generally hard to come by, and bassists with talent are even harder to find. If you think you can handle it, then try being in two bands at once. Another thing you could do, is offer to play bass with them until they find a permanent bassist, just make it known that you won't be able to always be there for them. Either way, it'd be good experience playing different genres of music with different groups of people, and you wouldn't come off as a prick. Those would be the two options I'd consider if I were in your shoes.

Dutch_Apples
01-31-2007, 05:29 AM
Everyone who has posted so far is right.. well.. for the most part. You definately want to make yourself the top session guy in the area. I don't know how other people feel about this, but I would much rather be a session guy who works with many bands and isn't a permanant member of either one than be in one band. Let's put it this way, why do you think.. when bands who "were" signed break up.. most of their members don't work professionally for awhile or maybe have a little band that has to start all over again in small rinky dink clubs.... no names coughJimmysChickenShackcough.

It's because they didn't do the smart thing and play with as many different people as possible. If you do that, then you will always have work and then can call yourself a real musician.

Angelus Mortem
01-31-2007, 05:47 AM
Cos no one wants to play bass. Bass is for shit guitarists or guitarists who can't find a band.

You Sir, are an IMBECILE.

Guitar is for dickheads that can't find a GROOVE, and need two extra strings with which not to find it.

Vladimir H
01-31-2007, 05:52 AM
Ultimate-bass.com

Hahaha

Charlatan_001
01-31-2007, 06:07 AM
I play bass (no shit) and i've been told (although i can't really see it) that i am the shit. I'm in a band and we are going very well, yet loads of people (mainly hip-hop artits and local metal bands) seem to want me to play for them, i have to turn them down which makes me like a prick, should go in more than one act or should i just stick with my oiginal band?

It doesn't necessarily mean you're a prick, it just means you're dedicated to your band, or that you don't feel you can handle 2 bands at the moment.

And how is it "no shit" that you play bass?

GiantRaven
01-31-2007, 09:08 AM
Cos no one wants to play bass. Bass is for shit guitarists or guitarists who can't find a band.
You're an idiot :)

Anywho, you get asked a lot because more people play guitar than play bass so there is more demand for bass players

METSOAD
01-31-2007, 09:23 AM
It doesn't necessarily mean you're a prick, it just means you're dedicated to your band, or that you don't feel you can handle 2 bands at the moment.

And how is it "no shit" that you play bass?

the fact i have a bass guitar and a bass amp in my sig lol

talentsix
01-31-2007, 09:38 AM
bass>any other instrument and you being really good is a big reason why.I like to work with multiple bands even playing different instruments.

victoryaloy
01-31-2007, 01:59 PM

Guitar is for dickheads that can't find a GROOVE, and need two extra strings with which not to find it.

so if i can find a groove on an instrument with 2 strings you will admit i'm better than you????!?!?!?!

frigginjerk
01-31-2007, 04:55 PM

way to stoop to the lowest common denominator.

justin_fraser
01-31-2007, 05:08 PM
:haha, funniest thread in the bandleading forum that Ive seen (not threadstarters fault).

But I would say that Dutch Apples has hit the nail on the head. You want to make your name known in wherever you are, and surrounding area. You are already in a good band that seems strong from what I hear. So stick with them, but, check with those guys if its alright if you do some work for some other guys. Your band is your first priority. Everyone else gets the leftover time. If the guys in your band are smart, they will let you do stuff as it gets your name out there to lots of people, meaning your band will get places too because of your mad skills (Im assuming you have mad skills here).

music man
01-31-2007, 05:13 PM

Well mabey you keep being acked .... BECAUSE YOU ARE GOOD!!!!

Very true.

Guitar is for dickheads that can't find a GROOVE, and need two extra strings with which not to find it?

However you are also an IMBECILE!

TheDarkestNights
01-31-2007, 05:17 PM
so if i can find a groove on an instrument with 2 strings you will admit i'm better than you????!?!?!?!

I'll do it on one. :cool:

music man
01-31-2007, 05:22 PM
I'll do it on one. :cool:

Indeed, i mean look at "Smoke on the water" thata is a great riff and can be played on one string ( I know on the record it is on the D+G strings, but hey)
:D

Doolittle
01-31-2007, 08:11 PM
hey i have the same problem but i'm not in a band with anyone, but me and my friend are planning on forming one. But the people who have asked me play like metal, and i don't really like metal espeically the stuff they wanna play. where the hell are the pixies fan that play guitar?!?!

El CumanÚs
01-31-2007, 08:40 PM
Do what you want, is your life not theirs.

Angelus Mortem
01-31-2007, 09:23 PM
I was illustrating the absurdity of that statement with my reply.

You 6-stringers sure get aweful testy when it gets tossed back your way don't ya? B)

I also play guitar and have a lot of respect for the instrument.

However, i started on the Bass, and it will always be my first love ( musically speaking ).

METSOAD
02-01-2007, 03:31 AM
hey i have the same problem but i'm not in a band with anyone, but me and my friend are planning on forming one. But the people who have asked me play like metal, and i don't really like metal espeically the stuff they wanna play. where the hell are the pixies fan that play guitar?!?!

don't get me wrong, i love metal but i don't just want to play metal, at the moment i'm getting into Brazilian music and i want to look into more stuff from other countries

music man
02-01-2007, 09:05 AM
I was illustrating the absurdity of that statement with my reply.

You 6-stringers sure get aweful testy when it gets tossed back your way don't ya? B)

I also play guitar and have a lot of respect for the instrument.

However, i started on the Bass, and it will always be my first love ( musically speaking ).

Wel i play LOADS of instruments but i started out on Piano :Geek:

joshsirjoshules
02-01-2007, 08:26 PM
I'd say stick with your band, you guys aren't that bad. I'd just kick your lead guitarists ass haha. But seriously, he's the only part of your band that sucks.

NaivexLi
02-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Wel i play LOADS of instruments but i started out on Piano :Geek:

and I started on Violin :fag:
but guitar is easily my favorite.

Anyway

If people want you to do stuff with them...GO FOR IT!
I would kill to be sought after as a session musician.

Gain that kind of respect and credibility....thats something to be proud of.

qurazy
02-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Not many bass players, my bassist plays in like two or three other bands.

music man
02-02-2007, 06:32 PM

Same here.

MuffinMan
02-04-2007, 12:39 AM

Started out on trumpet myself. Guitar is much more enjoyable. Stringed instruments > wind instruments.

Anyway, people want you because bassists are hard to come by at times. Especially ones who're any good.

I checked out your band's MySpace. I couldn't really hear the bass, meh. But, I must say, your singer has a strangely appealing voice.

METSOAD
02-05-2007, 03:49 AM
^^ thanks, why is her voice strangley appealing? she has a better voice but i like all opinions to be aired

Dutch_Apples
02-05-2007, 04:10 AM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/Dutch_Apples/1166518423-LOZWRKIBWXAHSGP7BNITDNO2.jpg

music man
02-05-2007, 10:40 AM
the fact i have a bass guitar and a bass amp in my sig lol

No you dont. :fight:

music man
02-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Sorry, wrong emoticon

MuffinMan
02-05-2007, 03:04 PM
^^ thanks, why is her voice strangley appealing? she has a better voice but i like all opinions to be aired

I mean her voice is very pleasurable to listen to. It's very hit or miss with female vocalists in more rock-based genres, and her voice fits very well for some reason. I say strangely appealing because I don't enjoy a lot of the "mainstream" rock bands with female vocalists, but I like her voice a lot.

It's a complement, ;). I'd work on getting a lot tighter with instrumentation though. Especially lead guitar. Keep up the good work, though. :)

Helloween_rox
02-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Yes, bassists are extremely hard to come by nowadays, especially a competent one. Be glad that you play it and have enough talent that bands search you out instead of the other way around. My band desperately needs a bassist as of now, and we've been searching for damn near a year now.

P.S.- Whatever you do, do NOT, I repeat, do NOT go the hip hop/rap route if you do decide to join a group/band. I've never heard of any famous rap/hip hop bassists, yet almost all of the well known bassists play hard rock/metal (ex.: Geddy Lee, Cliff Burton). Plus, rap and hip hop don't even count as music.

Ah, that rap's all just clicks and whistles anyway.

GiantRaven
02-06-2007, 05:09 AM
P.S.- Whatever you do, do NOT, I repeat, do NOT go the hip hop/rap route if you do decide to join a group/band. I've never heard of any famous rap/hip hop bassists, yet almost all of the well known bassists play hard rock/metal (ex.: Geddy Lee, Cliff Burton). Plus, rap and hip hop don't even count as music.

:haha

Ignorant fool :)

x0dus
02-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Yes, bassists are extremely hard to come by nowadays, especially a competent one. Be glad that you play it and have enough talent that bands search you out instead of the other way around. My band desperately needs a bassist as of now, and we've been searching for damn near a year now.

This is the dumbest post Ive ever read.

To the bassist guy, if I was you I would play for those Hip Hop guys because they'll probably pay you quite well and they might hook you up with some people who can help your band out. And if your band doesn't work out, word of mouth should ensure you get some more jobs playing Hip Hop music.

Kiddd
02-06-2007, 07:06 AM
i say u go for it ...thats if u think u can handle it ...
and then ..if they really like the way u work with them ..and others keep on asking u .. why not try to do it for some money ?
good luck

hippyguitardude
02-07-2007, 05:47 PM
it sounds like ur good.

I'm (really trying not to brag here) probably the blues/improv. guitarist and songwriter in my school and am constatly being asked to join bands..... And my bassist in my band is too (he's in 2 right now)