Amp Problem

PDA

View Full Version : Amp Problem

tilleking
01-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Has anyone else ever suffered at a gig because of the amps? Last night, my band played our first gig without using our own amps, and we sincerely regretted not taking them... We were stuck with some shite little Peavey's that had the worst distortion sound we'd ever heard, then we were told we couldn't use pedals... It totally sucked... Has anyone else ever had this problem? What the hell is wrong with some people!? We were so pissed off because Powertab has a more convincing distortion sound than the amps there... Do people really think that distortion is supposed to sound like a cat being dragged through a hedge backwards?!

:mad:

Reliktunes
01-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Why wouldnt you take your own amps? Personally I'd never trust anybody elses.

GiantRaven
01-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Why wouldnt you take your own amps? Personally I'd never trust anybody elses.
There are battle of the bands round here where you aren't allowed to use your own amps

greendayguitar
01-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Wow. That sucks. I wouldn't go to any show without my own amp. I love it to death.

joshsirjoshules
02-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Wow. That sucks. I wouldn't go to any show without my own amp. I love it to death.

Same here. My Fender Deluxe is my baby.

I've never had problems due to amps. I have had problems with my guitarist's amp. I told her to sell it (it's a solid-state Crate) and get a 40 watt Traynor tube combo that was on craigslist.com for $150, and she refused to, even though she can get the sound she wants out of the Traynor.

whalepudding
02-03-2007, 10:15 PM
There are battle of the bands round here where you aren't allowed to use your own ampsWell that isn't very nice, why would they do that?

t3hrav3n
02-04-2007, 12:37 AM
...you couldn't use your own pedals?...

was this some kind of bullcrap, "everyone gets the same oppritunity with the same gear, so no one feels like they've been gipped because of someone having better gear" thing? talent's nice, but tone is important too. i'd take a good long look at that gig and then run away from it, never to return.

tilleking
02-04-2007, 08:33 AM
...you couldn't use your own pedals?...

was this some kind of bullcrap, "everyone gets the same oppritunity with the same gear, so no one feels like they've been gipped because of someone having better gear" thing? talent's nice, but tone is important too. i'd take a good long look at that gig and then run away from it, never to return.

Yep.

GiantRaven
02-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Well that isn't very nice, why would they do that?
Makes it fair for the bands who can't afford good equipment to sound better

tilleking
02-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Makes it fair for the bands who can't afford good equipment to sound better

I s'pose, yeah.. Though personally, I wouldn't mind lending my amp to people who can't afford good enough gear. If you're playing in a battle-of-the-bands type thing, it'll always be better if everybody sounds good, as opposed to everybody sounding shite... If you're gonna have 'equal opportunities', you might as well try and make them worth-while... But then again, I don't s'pose everybody would lend their kit so readily...

P.B.
02-05-2007, 05:22 PM
i've done the shared amp thing, but never the 'no pedals' thing. that sucks.

when we shared amps, we had decent amps, Marshall JCM2000's and such, ampeg bass amps.

i'm not sure i'd do that gig again, but i dont' know what your situation is for getting gigs.

DevilMayCare
02-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Gig at a friend's party, my singer decided my amp wasn't loud enough during our set-up, rather than mention it to me so I could adjust it, he wacks up the bass, mid, treble, and gain, and kept all the others (Master Volume, Reverb etc.) as they were when I left them. I come back and rather foolishly didn't double check my amp. 1,2,3 - crack. Horrible noise out of my amp as we kicked into the first song. We all stop. I yell "What the ****?", and then he tells me he's messed around with my amp. *silently fumes*
It's a tempermental little creature...

GiantRaven
02-05-2007, 07:16 PM
I s'pose, yeah.. Though personally, I wouldn't mind lending my amp to people who can't afford good enough gear. If you're playing in a battle-of-the-bands type thing, it'll always be better if everybody sounds good, as opposed to everybody sounding shite... If you're gonna have 'equal opportunities', you might as well try and make them worth-while... But then again, I don't s'pose everybody would lend their kit so readily...
They would provide the amps, they most likely have something good

tilleking
02-06-2007, 09:03 AM
They would provide the amps, they most likely have something good

Not if it's only a little event. We went to a gig a while back - a small battle of the bands - and they provided the amps for that.. Thank god we never had to use them! Every other band sounded terrible. Some little, crappy Epiphone amps! Eugh...

BigFatMonkeyBoy
02-06-2007, 09:50 AM
if you have to use someone else's backline, then you HAVE to be able to use pedals - thats not an advantage - thats part of what makes your band sound like you. if you follow that to its logical conclusion, you should make everyone use the same guitars. how much do you have to suck before you complain of being at a disadvantage cos you dont have the same pedals as someone. if we all thought like that, we'd go to our first sho, realise that we cant afford a full stack, guitar tech, sound engineer and the pick of our sponsers gear, and never bother. if you are any good, it'll show through no matter what you play. and a piece of shit is still a piece of shit, even with a Les Paul Custom, plugged into a JVM, via 20 foot of rackmount effects.

Grrrr.

rant over.