Making a new band

PDA

View Full Version : Making a new band

SillyRabbit
02-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Im 16 and i'm making a new band, and im fairly good, and I want to be lead. My friend(the drummer) is amazing at drums, and then theres no bass no second guitarist. and no singer, I want to be famous when im older so I play guitar alot in my spare time. Im just wondering, what should i do about the empty slots, i have alot of friends who play guitar, but its so hard getting band members. and finding a singer is impsossible. Any Solutions?

P.S i edited this because i dont mean to come off as a cocky 16 year old.

diverdown04
02-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Learn to play bass? Take one for the team and sing? I have no idea.

Rory The G Man
02-01-2007, 03:46 PM
play twin lead!

SillyRabbit
02-01-2007, 03:46 PM
[Quote] Learn to play bass? Take one for the team and sing? I have no idea.
... i play guitar like 4 hours a day, why would i do sumthin stupid like that

SillyRabbit
02-01-2007, 03:49 PM
iunno it would be kinda hard for me to give lead up because im amazing at making riffs, like mind blowing riffs trust me, and i dont wanna be the second guitarist, I love attention ahha im a.d.d well adhd but thats a different story

nightwind
02-01-2007, 04:02 PM
^ You are complaining about your friends being cocky? Listen to yourself man. No one is going to want to do anything for you, because you appear to be terribly ignorant. You are not as good as a musician as you think you are, you just simply aren't. I'm sure your riffs are very mindblowing, but then again, I'm sure they aren't. So, my first piece of advice :

Get humble , and get humble quick

In my opinion, a good band isn't a band who has a "lead guitarist" and a "rhythm guitarist". If you forget about the labelling and just play, you can get waaaay more interesting things. Sometimes you are going to have to play a chord or two, but if you let go of your ego for a bit, you will serve the music a whole lot beter.

What do you do? You and your drummer should work on creating a nice nest for the next members to come into. People will be far more interested in you if you have something to offer other than just "Oh yea, it's going to be good once you join us, then we can start writing".

Goodluck, but seriously, take the rockstar bullshit down a bit.

Also, I'm moving this to the appropriate forum.

El Penguino
02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
you sound like the cocky one

GiantRaven
02-01-2007, 04:25 PM
you sound like the cocky one
Damn right

SillyRabbit
02-01-2007, 04:29 PM
i dont mean to sound cocky? i just have always wanted to be a lead guitarist. Im not like trying to make it sound like im really good either sorry if i offended anyone? I seriously didn't mean to. Lol i blame it on my dam a/d/d Sorry guys.

SillyRabbit
02-01-2007, 04:29 PM
bahh, I hate computers they always make me sound like a dumbass

emo.child.101
02-01-2007, 04:40 PM
well bud ive been in band for 2 years now. and were making a name for ourselves. but not once have we been cocky. you gotta tone it down a bit man. let the crowd/fans decide if your good at guitar, Not your egotistical self.

SillyRabbit
02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Damn my ambition!!!!!!! its fine. I dont mind criticizm, Its fer my own good. Im trying to be as humble as i can be here on the forums. and im just trying to get some answers.

but the problem is that i still haven't had any good answers yet.
Twin lead, could be one thing i could work with i guess, but i kinda want to have myself being the leader, because i *feel* i can lead a band, with the tools nessecary, not coming off as a jerk for one. But I really, Want to lead a band. Im kinda a goofy kid at school and lots of people. like me for my goofyness but, I dont get a chance to show people that i can actually lead a band, and thats what im going to focus on i think.

SillyRabbit
02-01-2007, 04:52 PM
lol Just so i dont sound cocky i even edited my Signature might give you all a better understanding of what im like

GiantRaven
02-01-2007, 05:22 PM
[Quote] Learn to play bass? Take one for the team and sing? I have no idea.
... i play guitar like 4 hours a day, why would i do sumthin stupid like that
And there is nothing wrong with Bass :mad:

SinisterLefty
02-01-2007, 05:24 PM
The first step to being a leader is looking at what is best for the band and not yourself. A leader sacrifices himself for those who follow him. The general public will always consider the singer to be the leader of the band, just because he is the one out front with all the words to say, so if you just want to be the leader for the prestige(sp?) then be the singer too. If you truely want to lead your band to be the best they can possibly be. You need to start replacing every "I" with "we".

As guitarists we all want to have our chops and leads blaring out 24/7, but as a leader you have to know thats not possible. It's about whats best for the song, whats best for the band. You have to find each members strengths and weaknesses. Then find ways to utilize those strengths, while staying away from the weaknesses.

A lot of people think they want to lead, but have no idea just how much stress and management is involved in this. You have to make each instrument click together in perfect harmony, you have to make sure you know your band makes stage quirks and they know yours as well, so that if trouble would arise you know how to cover it up to an audience. You need to constantly think of ways to utilize each instrument into the music. If you want to be a leader you can't be a guitarist, you have to be a musician. You need to understand the instruments around you, how they work, and how they can be used to mesh with the other instruments in the band.

I can't even count the number of times I've had to rewrite a riff or composition because we gave the song more feeling by dropping the guitar here to let more of the bass shine through, or dropping out this part because it flows better just letting the drums hit by themselves. We've completely dropped a solo from a song because we didnt need it to get our point across on the song. Dropping a quick fill on this song because the vocals cover it better without it. It's a lot of damn work leading a band. You are constantly thinking about every single thing.

First thing any leader should know is "if one member sound like shit. The band sounds like shit" so regardless of how great you might be at your instrument, if your drummer can't keep a beat or your bassist struggles on certian progressions...then you sound just as bad musically to your audience. you could all be average in skill level, but if you play tightly together your audience will look at you all like superstars. You can't be egotistical. You want to see where an ego will get you.....just look at all the great bands who are now broken up.

SillyRabbit
02-01-2007, 05:24 PM
yeah i know but i play guitar alot lol. I cant play bass either so yeah. Bass players are sweet. I just play guitar for all of my spare time thats all so it just makes more sence to play guitar then to play bass :)

SillyRabbit
02-01-2007, 05:29 PM
yeah i agree. with everything you said, im not trying to make it look like im the only greatest guitar player on here cuz im obviously not ahha WAY not anyways. My drummer is intense i just dont want a guitar player whos gunna try and do things his way instead of the bands way you know? My last drummmer had that problem. anyways. I live for music, and iv certainly recieved some good criticism here on the forums today Hehe. Its all good tho

SinisterLefty
02-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Sounds like you are going about looking for the right members then. I've delt with those kind o f guys too. They only want to do it this way and if you want to change that structure in even the slightest to add to the overall sound quality they act like drama queens. Don't sweat it. It takes time to construct a band if you do it right, but once you have those members who all get along and you can really jam well together, trying things each thinks might work, using what does and agreeing on what does, you can really have a good damn time.

justin_fraser
02-01-2007, 06:31 PM
yeah i know but i play guitar alot lol. I cant play bass either so yeah. Bass players are sweet. I just play guitar for all of my spare time thats all so it just makes more sence to play guitar then to play bass :)

If you play so much, you should pick up bass. That is what makes sense. You can only get so much out of guitar in a day. Its a proven fact about practicing (forget where i read it). So take up bass, you will be a more rounded musician and will be able to write better stuff on guitar because of it.

OOPS double post sorry

Ya, you have double posted 4 times now, and this last reply makes one of those a triple post.

SillyRabbit
02-01-2007, 06:42 PM
lol??? im sorry but how am i going play guitar in my band and bass? lol

Scourge441
02-01-2007, 07:28 PM
lol??? im sorry but how am i going play guitar in my band and bass? lol
It'll work until you start gigging. Then, you can probably find a session bassist or someone who's willing to play the show for you. Of course, I would suggest finding a real bassist (as in, one who plays bass and doesn't play guitar on bass), which would be hard.

As for actually playing bass yourself, you can probably only benefit from it. By actually learning to play bass (i.e., not just learning a few songs here and there, but actually looking at how bass fits in a song and how the really cool basslines are constructed), you start to see how each instrument fits into a song, and you learn more about songwriting in general.

SillyRabbit
02-01-2007, 07:36 PM
thats not really my question though lol. Iv been producing techno(complicated techno) since i was 11. so like 5 years iv been producing i know how bass fits into songs. lol I dont mean to come off rude and stuff Im just saying. The real question is not em playing bass its how and what should i look for in the people i need for my band ect bass singer and second guitarist

nightwind
02-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Post ads in music stores. Spread the word, send out some emails. Be patient.

Floyd1122
02-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah, how about jamming with different people? People know people who know people....the chain just keeps going. It's at least worth a shot.

SillyRabbit
02-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Im strugglin dude. My *drummer* i dont even think he wants to do this whole thing anymore and he just sprained his arm ahha lol. w/e I wish i had like a Becoming Famous coarse in highschool