Drum Programming

PDA

View Full Version : Drum Programming

Richard Rahl
02-01-2007, 06:36 PM
My friend and I are starting a little 2-man band thing. Nothing serious, just gonna get together and write a few songs and whathaveya.

What we need is something that is very versatile, since we have no particular genre of playing, and realistic (midi is nothing to the real thing, you cant deny it).

Ive heard FruityLoops is good but I've never tried it.
Cheers guys :cheers:

z4twenny
02-01-2007, 06:41 PM
^ i second fruity loops with great emphasis, the more i use it the more i learn about it and realize what it can do. if you'll listen to the pre-made tracks that come as examples of what can be done with it, you may be quite surprised. just as a note though, you may want to get additional drum samples as the "real" kits that come with it don't quite have the oomph i like in my drums

f8ta1ity54
02-01-2007, 06:42 PM
hammerhead is good too...its really easy..just make ur own samples

Richard Rahl
02-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Well the thing is neither of us have constant access to a decent drum kit, so we would have to rely on pre-made samples, or extremely generous people who could convert a GPro track into the real thing.

I'll give FL a look though, thanks.

marcus00
02-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Fruity Loops is okay, but the versatility of Reason can't be beat in my opinion.

http://www.propellerheads.se/

The drum machine has more features than I've found in other programs and the effects are incredible.

If you're not satisifed with being limited to the versatility of the drum machine, you can always load drum samples into any of the samplers and edit up to 64th beats easily.

It also has a sequencer and mixing board so you can do everything on your pc.

z4twenny
02-01-2007, 07:03 PM
^ one more thing, fruity loops you can alter just about anything and add synth (ie piano, violin, beeps, choir etc) so if you think a certain part would sound good with additional synth sounds you can add that as well. i recommend checking out a tutorial, reading the help file (all of it, its pretty big) and also checking out how the pre-made songs were made so that you can get the best sound available.

edit: i haven't used reason, but i have heard that is very good as well, check out what you can and use whats best for you!

marcus00
02-01-2007, 07:14 PM
edit: i haven't used reason, but i have heard that is very good as well, check out what you can and use whats best for you!

The only downside to Reason it's that it's not a cheap program by any means. But for what it comes with, you'd be hard pressed to find something to beat the price.

If you're not looking to record and stuff, Fruity Loops isn't bad. I got that and Reason at about the same time and have found Reason to meet my needs.

I'm not sure what kind of ability Fruity Loops has to import samples (like if you want to bring in your guitar tracks and stuff) because I didn't have my guitar when I was playing with it.

I also use Line 6's Guitarport program to capture the guitar parts. I have Audacity set to record directly from the Guitarport application so I don't have to worry about mic's and stuff. If you get more serious about it, you'll definitely need to look at hardware and stuff, but then again, you'd probably start looking at pro tools or cakewalk to sequence.

z4twenny
02-01-2007, 07:18 PM
^ FL does allow you to import external samples and i believe you can record up to 6 or 8 tracks directly into fruity loops, let it be known i use FLS XXL and it has those capabilities, i can't speak for other versions.

KileManA7X
02-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Is there a free one? THAT WOULD BE GREAT!

Richard Rahl
02-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Well, we would probably end up recording for stuff like myspace / soundclick, but theres no way anything serious is coming out of this that requires top-notch equipment.

Thanks for all the input too :cheers:

marcus00
02-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I know that Computer Music Magazine has their own proprietary composition software they sent out with their magazines on the DVD's. I've never tried it, but I know it uses VST. Maybe that's worth checking out...? It's free (aside from the cost of the mag).