Different Genres as opposed to others

PDA

View Full Version : Different Genres as opposed to others

winno
02-02-2007, 01:41 AM
Theres probably been a thread sort of like this, but I just want to pose what happened today.

Basically, I was in Music Tech, and theres this kid I'm not really fond of, and him and his mates are all talking about music and stuff (they're all metalheads btw).

So then, they were just talking/mocking me and the drummer in my Indie/Alternative band, and asking us on stuff about if we'd ever gotten a proper gig and stuff. (We've played at a Youth Event/1 day outing thing and at a Youth Group)

Then, they were asking/mocking us on a demo disc sorta thing we recorded, in which we only did covers (not a great achievement, I know)

Anyways, then my drummer mate was coming back at them with how he views Metallica (sellouts, boring etc)

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mind heavy music, just, firstly, I don't see how Metallica are such a great band, sure they started Heavy Metal, but by todays standards they are pretty average for a Metal band.

And even though this kids Death Metal band have done they're own songs, they played at our assembly once, and in my opinion, they sucked. Alot. And I don't mind "War" by Burzum, which is a Black Metal song. (the band played some song about dead babies, and they just acted really faggy and trying to be metal etc.)

But still, do they have a right to mock us based on our current status as a band, and the sort of music we like?

CORT noob
02-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Theres probably been a thread sort of like this, but I just want to pose what happened today.

Basically, I was in Music Tech, and theres this kid I'm not really fond of, and him and his mates are all talking about music and stuff (they're all metalheads btw).

So then, they were just talking/mocking me and the drummer in my Indie/Alternative band, and asking us on stuff about if we'd ever gotten a proper gig and stuff. (We've played at a Youth Event/1 day outing thing and at a Youth Group)

Then, they were asking/mocking us on a demo disc sorta thing we recorded, in which we only did covers (not a great achievement, I know)

Anyways, then my drummer mate was coming back at them with how he views Metallica (sellouts, boring etc)

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mind heavy music, just, firstly, I don't see how Metallica are such a great band, sure they started Heavy Metal, but by todays standards they are pretty average for a Metal band.
And even though this kids Death Metal band have done they're own songs, they played at our assembly once, and in my opinion, they sucked. Alot. And I don't mind "War" by Burzum, which is a Black Metal song. (the band played some song about dead babies, and they just acted really faggy and trying to be metal etc.)

But still, do they have a right to mock us based on our current status as a band, and the sort of music we like?

They didn't start metal at all, they just made it more mainstream.

winno
02-02-2007, 01:50 AM
Well, thats my Metallica knowledge for ya.

CORT noob
02-02-2007, 01:53 AM
Yea, well I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I think all their stuff sounds the same. I hear someone play something and I have to go "was that fade to black or One?" And I am always wrong, it turns out they are always playing that other song that sounds like the rest.

winno
02-02-2007, 01:58 AM
Lol, I sorta have that view as well, to me Metallica are just Palm Muting and Tapping (judging from the One Video)

Also, the kid and his mates were all talking about wattage and that you need like, 300W to gig, which to me is just ridiculous. I've done fine with a 40W loud enough for a School gym (and that was at 3oclock volume)

BBell
02-02-2007, 02:05 AM
well in a way they do because theyve, i suppose, achieved more than your band... just try this

Tune your guitar to drop d... go crazy, HEY! what do you know you have the next big metal song. Next, you can either sing about death, or like the current "thing", dragonforce, sing about slaying dragons in the valleys.

Metal takes very little skill in my opinion :peace: (come on.... palm muting and shredding scales...)

just do not be bothered by them, act like youre superiour.

evo666
02-02-2007, 02:07 AM

yea pretty much thats the way people do things

Necronomicon
02-02-2007, 02:09 AM
yeah I've done fine with smaller amps but its not about your amp its about the stuff you play on it. whether you shred, play backup or what, its just what sounds good not what is the hardest or what is the fastest and so on or there would be no such thing as blues. do what you're doing if it sounds good, **** them let them play their death metal, the farthest they'll get is underground if they cant adapt to the times. if you notice, bands that are successful are smart these days, they stick to their roots with hard heavy songs but they put those songs on their cds rather than out to the public, instead they'll put a softer song to get you to buy their cd then hook you with what they're really about. example: a7x releasing a ballad as opposed to their old days when they'd release something like second heartbeat. warmness on the soul was a smart thing to release at the time because it grabbed the support they needed. end rant

winno
02-02-2007, 02:17 AM
Yeh the stuff on the band status does mean he has a right to mock us I suppose.
The shredding and stuff, yes thats skill, but its still not nice to go all "arrogant prick" on someone.

But yeh, in a sense, I just wanted to vent a bit, and have some ppl who I knew had proper musical info to back up they're replies with, not just "treble charger suck" or something.

Andrewbiles
02-02-2007, 08:33 AM
They will mock you, and you'll no doubt mock in return, but they shouldn't for the pure fact that music is based on opinion and shouldn't matter what others really think, so long as you enjoy it.