Too Old ?

PDA

View Full Version : Too Old ?

nobusforharold
02-02-2007, 04:02 PM
I have been in a band for over a year and we recently lost our drummer. None of me or the guitarists friends are drummers and were having a really hard time finding one. I am 13 and the guitarist is 16. One of his workmates is 25 and said he would get together with us for a few shows to help us find a drummer. Anyway, do you think he would be too old to play with us ? :rolleyes:

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :peace:

Cheers,
Scott :devil:

tasty licks
02-02-2007, 04:07 PM
no he's not too old. you're too young. what sort of "shows" do 13 year olds have?

Milit
02-02-2007, 04:08 PM
no. a slightly older drummer is better thanno drummer eh. then the rest of you will still be able to forge yourself as a band

bassdrum
02-02-2007, 04:08 PM
I don't really measure in age, but ability to play the instrument, maturity, and dedication to a band...

As long as you don't get in trouble for being in a band with him i.e he could smoke or drink around you, and your parents could smell the smoke or alcohol on you and get you in trouble/make you quit the band. As long as he's not a chain smoker or an alcoholic then you should be fine.

demonhunter2
02-02-2007, 04:09 PM
how well do you know him, if not that well than yeah, he's too old...

nobusforharold
02-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Awesome, Thanks... hes done a couple of albums before and hes pretty good so... We'll give him a shot, theres nothing to lose :)

Cheers,
Scott :devil:

Svea_Trollblod
02-02-2007, 04:12 PM
No, I don't think so. The age dosen't matter, if he play your kind of music and you like him why not?
Beseides it can be good to have a more experienced musician in the band, you may learn a lot.
I think it is a good idead to have him in, if noone have a problem with him, that could couse trouble in the band.

Guitar_Master92
02-02-2007, 07:45 PM
I know him from work... he's a friend of my dads.

SinisterLefty
02-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Since it sounds like he has the chops and that he has been an active musician, yes you should work with him. You guys might be musically talented(or you might not I don't know), but even if you didnt learn anything musically from him being there, you can learn the business end from him, which is something you will lack at your age.

While praticing with him, ask questions about past shows he has done, things that worked and things that didnt, ask him about ways to get the band out there, and especially how to tell when an owner is trying to screw you out of money you deserve. Thats is the biggest thing I see happen to younger guys in bands. Some have been very proficient musicians, but getting a good head on your shoulders business wise is just as important as playing well. I've seen plenty of these guys making 100 dollars playing a show they could have made 400 doing, but they did not understand the business end of music, so the owner ended up making 90% of THEIR profits. If you guys learn anything from having him with you, learn how to deal with owners of places you will play later down the road.

Dutch_Apples
02-02-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm confused by your post. He said he would play a few shows and help you find a drummer. So he's not going to join the band? Just be a hired gun? If that's the case, then what are you worried about. You need all the help you can get. other than that.. I agree with tasty_licks.

frigginjerk
02-04-2007, 11:16 AM
sounds like a good hired gun...

jam with the guy for now. he's obviously not staying on permanently. If he's as good as he sounds, it'll be a great learning experience for your band.

As for age differences in general... it depends. If you're trying to have a band that has a shot in hell of getting a record deal, you've gotta be all roughly the same age (17 to 25 is the usual for getting signed). It just makes for an awkward band dynamic if one member is WAY older or younger than the others.

Syn Harvest
02-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Ya it dont make much a difference. Our drummer is 28 but hes a great drummer and a good dependable guy so age doesnt matter