Crises

PDA

View Full Version : Crises

KileManA7X
02-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Hey guys. I'm having a crisis. My band is in the end of writing our new album but we have a prob. Our cd has 5 (about 3 minute-long each) soft tracks. I don't want there to be any drags or solos or anything so it will flow well. We came up with this awesome, epic song which is pretty heavy and can be no less than 7 minutes. Do you think this will freak out the listener in any way (we haven't recorded yet). Do you think the last song on any cd should be short and a good closer or a 7 minute epic? Should it sound like the rest of the cd or should it alarm or what? Thank you and I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Sid McCall
02-02-2007, 06:01 PM
who cares what the listener thinks. do what you guys like, and everyone else can just deal with it.

KileManA7X
02-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks Sid McCall! We're usally a heavier-type of band but I wanted to try something maybe girls would like.

BrianApocalypse
02-02-2007, 06:05 PM
as long as it is a good 7 minute epic it aint a problem.

if its repetitive and boring, forget it.

druz15_UG
02-02-2007, 06:08 PM
that sounds a little too much like selling out, but im not here 2 judge. I think it would b cool to hav th massiv epic one at the end, just like how that would b the song ud want 2 finish with in a live performance, you know, go out with a bang kinda thing?

KileManA7X
02-02-2007, 06:27 PM
That's a really good point druz15_UG. Thanks!

Shredlet
02-02-2007, 09:26 PM
who cares what the listener thinks. do what you guys like, and everyone else can just deal with it.
yeah trying to please the audience and not yourself is defined as: selling out!

t3hrav3n
02-04-2007, 12:41 AM
hardly a crisis, but i understand. there's a band called Kids in the Way and at the end of both of their cds, they have a no less than 7 minute long epic song at the end somewhat different than the rest of the albums. and those songs rock...

as long as the 7 minute long epic is good, of course put it in.

Dutch_Apples
02-04-2007, 03:05 AM
I stand by this general rule, test out any songs you want on the album live first. If you perform it and see people heading to get another drink or outside to hang out.. then those songs shouldn't go on your album. If that happens to you on every song, then you seriously need to rethink your bands material.

Also, anyone who says you don't need to please the listeners/audience is an IDIOT!!!!! If you are playing music no one wants to hear, then you are only kidding yourselves. How do you expect to build a fanbase and actually SELL records. Don't be one of those kiddie bands who claims they have a "fanbase" when reality that fanbase is just their parents/family and friends who think it's cool they have a friend who is in a band.

There is this band in my area that is made up of people from the local university. They first appear to have a fanbase because they bring a decent amount of people to shows, but in realit... their music is terrible, you can tell they are inexperienced musicians, and they do not entertain a crowd. All of their "fans" are friends from the university or family members. Anyone I talk to who doesn't know them has told me it was terrible and the material is definately not something they would buy.

Also I don't know how you can "sell out" when you haven't sold anything decent yet.

GiantRaven
02-04-2007, 08:35 AM
that sounds a little too much like selling out

:haha Oh shut up :haha

If it's a good song, put it in, good songs are nice to listen to no matter what the length

METSOAD
02-05-2007, 03:36 AM
go for the epic, it will keep the listener guessing for your next releases

bodomfan525
02-07-2007, 12:56 AM
If Rhapsody can put a whopping 19 minute song with spoken interludes at the end of Power of the Dragonflame, you can put a 7 minute epic song after some softer ones. There's nothing wrong with a big song at the end; I personally think it's a good thing. Good luck with the album.

Charlatan_001
02-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Having a song that is 7 minutes long is no big deal, unless it sucks.

frigginjerk
02-07-2007, 04:21 PM
yeah... unless the song is weak, there's not a big problem. It probably easiest to put a song that is noticeably longer than all the others last on the CD, if it's something that's a bit exhausting to listen to. But if the song is 7 minutes of really interesting, compelling music that doesn't really FEEL like 7 mins, then put it wherever you want. If people like your music, trust your instincts and make the CD that YOU think sounds good, and it'll b well-recieved

hippyguitardude
02-07-2007, 05:44 PM
either the end or the begginning. That might be kool too.