My first band.

PDA

View Full Version : My first band.

zeppelinpage4
02-04-2007, 03:28 AM
Ok I just got into my first band if you can call it a band. You see the two other guys our drummer and singer are friends and their good guys. But the problem is my drummer isn't willing to move his drums about to practice,I think... alright we'll play at his house but no one's allowed to play at his house. I don't get it he practices in his room but we can't play with him? Drums are the loudest anyways so my guitar shouldn't be an issue. He's not willing to play and is too busy with his computor, it seems and the band won't get anywhere so any ideas on how I can convince/ motivate him?

The second issue our singer again good guy is just how do I put this a noob to bands in a way. I question his actual musicianship. All he wants to do is be famous and look like the guys from Disturbed and he likes Korn. I was embarrased as hell when we were discussing the band and some other people overheard him talking about looking cool on stage and being metal. :(

I like softer classic rock stuff and I just want to focus on music and feeling the rest seems really chlidish and the band isn't working out. Any ideas how I could fix this? OR convince the singer more, unlike our drummer he's into it and willing to try so there's hope for him.

evening_crow
02-04-2007, 03:33 AM
Well, it actually seems like you don't even have a band...just a couple of guys who supposedly play instruments and want to be in a band but aren't willing to commit.

ZootCst
02-04-2007, 03:44 AM
Find another drummer and kick your singers ass.

jthm_guitarist
02-04-2007, 03:44 AM
Dude... weird...
Are you spying on me..?
I have the same problem and in the same position.
Except my drummer has moved to the stage where he doesn't care about music so much he doesn't even play drums. He just leaves them at my house, which would be cool if anyone wanted to play them.
I hate it when people want to "look metal onstage" but won't even give actually playing good music a chance.

Dutch_Apples
02-04-2007, 03:51 AM
It's your first "band," you guys probably won't be together 3 months from now anyways.

zeppelinpage4
02-04-2007, 04:00 AM
Yeah I see us going down fast I just wanted someone to jam with for the experiance, but these guys aren't commiting much. The thing is I know a guy who can get me payin gigs and i'm stuck without a band. Those guys are the only option at the moment but i've been talking to other players around the school so...

jthm_guitarist good to know i'm not the only one with this situation. It really gets to me some times, if your too lazy to take out your drums and play and trying to be metal how succesfull do you think you'll be? Right?
I'm trying to get them to understand that, they really are great guys overall but not the best band mates. IMHO

GiantRaven
02-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Jesus...go find some other people

frigginjerk
02-04-2007, 11:09 AM
You don't have a band. You have a lazy guy with drums in his room and a poser who likes to be onstage.

The drummer sounds like a mega-douche, and would be best motivated by being replaced. If he really cares about the band, he'll make an effort to not have his spot taken by another drummer. The worst that happens with that is you'd have two drummers competing to be in your band.

The singer sounds like he just needs to learn a bit more about music. He's obviously into the band scene, so you just need to make him aware that ALL successful musicians have studied music and theory to some degree (even a small amount). Encourage him to start playing the acoustic guitar or keyboard, to help him with his writing, etc... hell, you don't have a bassist... get him to do that.

Remember to look at the big picture. 99% of people's first bands break up or lose original members. The important thing is to take advantage of the here and now. Maybe this band is destined to be nothing, because kids don't know what they want and most people underestimate the workload... but you have a chance to gain experience playing with other people, which is absolutely invaluable.

I'd encourage you, if you're driven, to just join MORE bands... i always laugh when i hear/read people saying they're gonna have to quit their band or fire half their band over commitment issues when they're just kids jamming in the basement, you know? It's not like you're in the middle of a world tour and lives will be ruined. It stands to reason that if your first band never practices, you probably have time to jam with another band at least once a week. So rather than kick out members and break up friendships, just play with other bands for now. If one takes right off and is great, then it'll be a LOT easier to leave band #1.

zeppelinpage4
02-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks and i've already begun to do that, like I said "i've been talking to other musicians" ANd yeah my singer is taking music theory next year and he's trying to learn a thing or two about instruments from me. Thanks guys :)

Mangashniz
06-14-2007, 07:08 PM
I am zeppelinpage4's singer. I am appreciative that you all took time out to help us. Yes I realize that I am sheltered within certain types of music, however, I don't think that the only solution to our drummer problem is to kick him. By the way, I play the bass for this "band" now too :)