How to tell if a band member is commited

PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if a band member is commited

SillyRabbit
02-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Im trying to tell if my new drummer(The Amazing one) is commited to playing the drums in new band with me. he currently has a sprained hand and yeah. Right now its just me and the *drummer* and if the drummer leaves im pretty sure that will be a huge loss considering he would be amazing. so what should i do if hes not Obviously find a new drummer, but i cant cuz this guy is amazing at drums and im not just overstating this because hes my friend

MiG_853
02-04-2007, 12:00 PM
You know your band members are dedicated when they ask to play another song, or to jam just one more time before the end of the rehersal. Every moment in which they show some spontaneous interest, interest that isn't in response to the band leader's talking.

frigginjerk
02-04-2007, 12:02 PM
slow down, sparky... first of all, two people, one of whom is questionable, doesn't make it a "band."

has he given any indication that he might not want to be in the band, or is he just laid up with an injury right now?

the best way to tell if he's committed is if he:

a) says he's committed
b) shows up to work on material and doesn't just call with an excuse
c) if he likes your playing

and the best way....

does he have more than one of the following:

-a university degree he has to work on
-a steady girlfriend who would hate it if her man left her for a band
-a job that's more than just a job, like a career

if he's got two, or worse yet, three of those things, you might as well find a new drummer right now.

SillyRabbit
02-04-2007, 12:03 PM
dude lol were only grade ten ahah

frigginjerk
02-04-2007, 12:06 PM
dude lol were only grade ten ahah

then you shouldn't be worrying about wether your band is gonna make it... you guys can't even play in bars yet, lol.

basically, if you want to have a successful band, all members must make the band their FIRST priority... not a career, not school (though i'd finish high school if i were you), not their girlfriend, etc...

but yeah... in your situation, i'd say as long as buddy keeps on wanting to jam, you're good. That's all you guys can even do at this point, short of playing all-ages shows, for which you'd need a singer and bassist too.

tilleking
02-04-2007, 01:15 PM
basically, if you want to have a successful band, all members must make the band their FIRST priority... not a career, not school (though i'd finish high school if i were you), not their girlfriend, etc...

So true in our case... Our guitarist is with his girlfriend like 24/7. He even brings her to band practices... There's a good example of sum1 not committed.. I s'pose.. lol

Zrasool
02-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Dude I can relate to this. I'm in grade 10 too and we had some problems with our bass player. We just went and asked: Are u commited to being in the band? She said yeah, but other things like work and school get in the way. Plus the fact that she's the only girl in the band. Its all good now, though.
Since we're still in school, i wouldnt expect anyone to devote all of their time to the band. And I think that something like a sprained wrist(or whatever u said lol i cant remember) is a good reason to not be able to jam a lot.

eckmann88
02-04-2007, 03:25 PM
So true in our case... Our guitarist is with his girlfriend like 24/7. He even brings her to band practices... There's a good example of sum1 not committed.. I s'pose.. lol
So it's a bit of a Yoko Ono thing?

nephi
02-04-2007, 08:56 PM
sprained wrist is a reasonable excuse.. as long as it doesn't get sprained every week for a month..

tilleking
02-04-2007, 09:25 PM
So it's a bit of a Yoko Ono thing?

lol. i spose, yeah.

scrambler_66
02-06-2007, 09:06 PM
With a sprained wrist, yeah, I could understand not wanting to play drums NOW. If he shows interest in writing/helping to write/agreeing on covers (whatever it is his job would normally be), then he's still committed.

If you say, "Hey, check out this song I wrote. Can you get an idea of a drumbeat planned for it?" And he goes "Ah, dude, sprain. Sorry," and doesn't look at it, then no. He's not.

SIDE NOTE 1:
What is it with drummer injuries all of a sudden? Our drummer hurt his hand, Travis Barker broke his, and someone else...I think the guy from Bloc Party is hurt to.

SIDE NOTE 2:
We were talking to a possible bass player at school today, asking him if he would be available for practice tomorrow, and he goes "Yeah, probably" then turns to his girlfriend and asks her if its alright. Luckily, she didn't seem controlling, and just said "I don't care. Why?"

Done.