How to organize yourself with songs in a band

PDA

View Full Version : How to organize yourself with songs in a band

XxLloydxX
02-04-2007, 02:56 PM
First of all, i'm having trouble organizing songs with my brother who's a drummer because we don't know nothing about theory or how we are supposed to organize ourselves.
We made a minute of a song but i don't know how to keep adding stuff because m bro just gives me weird ideas which i don't like and when i givbe an idea he doesn't like it much. It's hard to organize the song because we don't know what the fck coukld come next!!
How do bandmates usually make songs?? Do all bandmates give ideas to their other bandmates to add on their instruments for their song? What if we are always disagreeing on ideas?? It's good that we think totally diffrent on ideas because we could mix totally diffrent ideas and since we have totally diffrent ideas we could make many songs and many parts but we always disagree!!! Any tips? We are both creative but don't know a shit bout theory

TechnicolorBoy
02-04-2007, 03:02 PM
If everyone plays a different instrument or role, let each person decide for their own role, even if you don't like the idea. The person on the keyboard obviously knows more about keyboard than the person on guitar knows about keyboard.

EDIT: LEARN SOME THEORY. Start off with scales.

shmooty
02-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, learning some theory will help you...should give you some ideas of where to go next, but remember, you don't have to follow it exactly.

Other than that, you've just gotta try and listen to what you're playing and try to hear in your head what should come next. It takes a bit of doing at first, but with practise you'll be able to listen to yourself and hear in your mind what to play next. Then its just a matter of finding the right notes/chords. Writing songs takes time... don't try and rush it or you'll do a half-assed job ;)

J6strings21fret
02-04-2007, 03:06 PM
First, it helps to learn theory. I had a similar problem. Also, sometimes you just have to drop a song and start new and from scratch. And sometimes, down the "road of life" you'll be hearing the same song tune in your head and suddenly a new part will come to you. Than you can reopen the song. What I also recommend is a music fast. I know it's hard but...I did it last month and my band has 4 new songs and playing a couple gigs. No, it's not directly because of it, but it helps a lot! Do not listen to any music for a week, sit down with your instrument alone in a almost silent area for an hour or two a day and in your head, try to start something. I know, it's asking for a little much, but trust me, if your really serious about doing this, it'll come to you.

ibanez87
02-04-2007, 03:07 PM
like he said learning scales could help you communicate musically. Saying "hey maybe it should play the 5th fret" or something doesn't work with keyboards. instead learn to speak like "in the key of A, play the 5th" (note of the scale).