One Guitarist?

PDA

View Full Version : One Guitarist?

EmitRemmus
02-06-2007, 01:47 PM
I was actually hoping that there was already a post about this but;

How skilled do you have to be to be in a band with one guitarist? All the bands i've seen on the website have rhythm and lead, I am a beginner and I'm not intending to join a band very soon, but I would like to know if its a bad idea or not. :confused:

"Tele" Steve
02-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Well, there are pop-punk bands like Green Day and Blink-182 where the level of guitar skill isn't very high. But then there's bands like Cream, Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc. where the skill level is much higher. As with anything, I guess it depends on what type of music you want to play. But one thing I do think is important when considering being the only guitarist in a band is that your mistakes will be much more apparent and you have to fill more space in the sound so to speak. Having a really good bassist would be essential I think.

marmoseti
02-06-2007, 01:56 PM
It really depends on what you are playing, the number of guitarists doesn't have a huge bearing on the difficulty. If anything a single guitarist song would be easier, because it's more likely to be strumming some chords (comme Oasis) rather than playing solos, although this is by no means a rule.

GiantRaven
02-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Simple answer: Not very :p:

claptonfan55
02-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Actually, if you're an average player, you could probably be in a band with one guitarist without a problem. The rhythm and lead duo is more of a preference thing, anyway. Those who have the two guitarists often like to have a really full sound or want some rhythm behind the solos. Also, a lot of bands only have (or have only had) one guitarist. For example, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Green Day, etc.

Paradise Lost
02-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Not necessarily , AFI (very underrated guitar work) has only one guitarist.

Take a look at some of their tabs.

There is some layering in studio, but when played live there is only one.

Cecil Gonzales
02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Most bands with one guitarist tend to have really good bass players to hold the rythm when the guitar player is playing lead

Pure_Morning
02-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Well, there are pop-punk bands like Green Day and Blink-182 where the level of guitar skill isn't very high. But then there's bands like Cream, Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc. where the skill level is very high. As with anything, I guess it depends on what type of music you want to play. But one thing I do think is important when considering being the only guitarist in a band is that your mistakes will be much more apparent and you have to fill more space in the sound so to speak. Having a really good bassist would be essential I think.

A tight rhythm section is essential for filling up the "spare" sound from only having one guitarist.

In my opinion, you'll need a fat sound regardless. Effects (not overdoing it though) can help. A little delay and reverb (in moderation) will definately work wonders.

teamzaius
Honestly, it's probably easier to be in a band with one guitar. That way you don't have to worry about what you're playing working well with what the other guitarist is doing. This is especially true if you start to write songs.

alienboy18241
Its not about how talented you but how you write songs. For example...you have your Blink 182's and old Greenday stuff with one guitarist. But for those of us who wish to solo, you still have bands out there like Shinedown, Led Zeppelin, and tons of solo artist bands.

Evil646260
i agree with everyone else, it all depends on what you want to play, keep in mind that you don't have to make a permanent decision on this, just try both and see which one you enjoy and get more out of. Personally I've yet to find another guitarist around where I live that is worth a flip that doesn't annoy the hell outta me.

alienboy18241
02-06-2007, 02:12 PM
I forgot to mention this....tons of bands have singers who can play guitar if needed to, but choose to mainly use 1 guitarist instead.

chase312
02-06-2007, 02:18 PM
www.purevolume.com/redletterunion << one guitarist
www.purevolume.com/flatlineloveaffair << one guitarist

GiantRaven
02-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Not necessarily , AFI (very underrated guitar work) has only one guitarist.

Take a look at some of their tabs.

There is some layering in studio, but when played live there is only one.
It was my simple answer

Of course there are single guitarist bands with great guitar work

hendrixrocks4
02-06-2007, 10:20 PM
well i am in a band with one guitarist(me) and i find it alot harder to write the lead and rythm part into one whole part becuase i was used to writing a rythm for my rythm guitarist(because im good at it and he sucked at writing) and writing a lead for myself.

Meteorshower
02-07-2007, 11:13 AM
There's a lot more pressure on you when you're the only guitarist and i agree with the guy who said you need a good bassist, that helps a lot. It lets the bass shine more actually which can be a real plus. You might want to add a keyboard player if you can find one though, that can help a lot with a one guitarist band (did for mine)

eckmann88
02-07-2007, 11:23 AM
All depends on the style. If you want to do the whole singer/songwriter thing, it's easy, but for a metal type thing it will obviously be hard.

EmitRemmus
02-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Awesome, some great responses (THANX) but when in this kind of band doesn't the bass play more of a 'replacement-rhythm-guitar' role?

trem7
02-07-2007, 02:46 PM
well if you look at most bands usually the bass is playing something very close to what the rhythm guitar plays. Also, look at Mr. Big... one guitar.

GiantRaven
02-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Awesome, some great responses (THANX) but when in this kind of band doesn't the bass play more of a 'replacement-rhythm-guitar' role?
I think the Bass has to do much more than that

It has to fill in the entire void where there would be rhythm guitar and be interesting to listen to at the same time

Gbell3587
02-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Depends what your style is, if you wana go with the solos and whatnot - you will want the rest of the band to be damn good like Led Zeppelin. If you wanna play greenday and blink182 stuff, you could prob start a band and play yourself right now.

reaper702
02-07-2007, 03:18 PM
trivium is the greatest band in the world .
all hail trivium.
please go to the link or you are gay.

http://www.trivium.org/board/index.php?showtopic=9367

Cecil Gonzales
02-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I think the Bass has to do much more than that

It has to fill in the entire void where there would be rhythm guitar and be interesting to listen to at the same time

Good examples of this are Black Sabbath and Motorhead

Lendorav
02-07-2007, 03:26 PM
but when in this kind of band doesn't the bass play more of a 'replacement-rhythm-guitar' role?

Bassists in bands with one guitarist almost never play a "replacement-rhythm-guitar" role (unless we're talking about an untalented bassist hitting roots in a metal band)

But the number of guitarists is a matter of taste. Most of my favorite bands have one guitarist, though. It gives the bassist more freedom.

GiantRaven
02-07-2007, 03:35 PM
trivium is the greatest band in the world .
all hail trivium.
please go to the link or you are gay.

http://www.trivium.org/board/index.php?showtopic=9367
Erm...what?

frigginjerk
02-07-2007, 04:31 PM
don't think in terms of playing rhythm or lead... think in terms of playing the best part for the song, and combine rhythm and lead as needed. That's what I do.

hippyguitardude
02-07-2007, 05:18 PM
turn the amp up REALLY LOUD! then it's just as good as 2 guitars! lol... but seriously, u don't have to be that good. Just enough to keep a rythm going. Just have the bass play the same or similar thing, so that when u play a lead, the rythem will keep going.

GiantRaven
02-07-2007, 05:24 PM
turn the amp up REALLY LOUD! then it's just as good as 2 guitars! lol... but seriously, u don't have to be that good. Just enough to keep a rythm going. Just have the bass play the same or similar thing, so that when u play a lead, the rythem will keep going.
:haha

I disagree with every point you made there

Turn your amp up too loud and you'll overshadow other instruments and it will sound awful

Have the Bass just follow the guitar is boring/uninteresting and when you don't have many instruments you need to make as much use of it as possible

the memory
02-07-2007, 05:26 PM
i almost find it easier to play as just a single guitarist.
its, for me anyway, one less thing to worry about.

i also love hearing solos with just the bass and drums behind it :D

hippyguitardude
02-07-2007, 05:27 PM
geez... turn ur amp up loud was a joke.... obviously u didn't see that (note the lol after it).

I'm not saying have the bass do the exact same thing. I mean it has to provide a steady rythem when the guitar goes to a solo so that there still will be a rythem part. Think of Zeppelin songs w/ riffs tho.... (Black dog, The Ocean). The bass follows the guitar for the most part in many of their songs and it sounds great. It gives more depth. I'm not saying always do this, but try it out and see how it sounds.

hippyguitardude
02-07-2007, 05:28 PM
also, the bandleading aspect becomes simpler... less people to manage, less people to keep together in a song, less people to record on songs, ect.

GiantRaven
02-07-2007, 05:39 PM
geez... turn ur amp up loud was a joke.... obviously u didn't see that (note the lol after it).

My mistake :o

hippyguitardude
02-07-2007, 05:41 PM
ok... ic... no grudges held

GarageGuitarist
02-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Look at Tool. Adam Jones has an extremely full, dense, and interesting style. And he's the only guitarist. And he replicates everything perfect live. So you can do anything he does with just one guitar.

willstrats44
02-08-2007, 12:30 PM
all depends on your drummer and bassist if they are awsome u have nothing to worry about im the only guitarist in my band and were doing great

EmitRemmus
02-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Aww, Awesome!! Thanks Guys. And I thought that when I do join a band, I would have to be specifically rhythm or lead. This changed my mind permanentally. This is so helpful! I especially like the fact that it gives the bassist more freedom and gives them more space to work with, where as with two guitarists, the bassist hardly gets noticed. I respect the fact that the bassist has to be pretty good at what they do, though.

Mechanixx
02-08-2007, 03:41 PM

umm what about pantera?

GiantRaven
02-08-2007, 03:43 PM
umm what about pantera?
-_-

Did I say all bands with one guitarist were simple? No, I didn't

What I was merely trying to say was that you didn't need to be an amazing guitarist to play in a band, even if you're the only one

Look at Blink 182

P.B.
02-08-2007, 04:42 PM
i've been in bands with 1 guitarist, as well bands with 2.

in my latest band, the rhythm and lead role was thrown between the other guitarist and i quite often, but now the other guitarplayer is leaving my city.

So i'm taking over the role of lead and rhythm once again until we find the PERFECT replacement, preferably a rhythm player.

i am sort of happy about this because with one guitar i can free lance a little more, band managment became easier ect. however having a nice full rhythm behind solo's is so nice it's stupid!