Wow - Prince can really play guitar!

PDA

View Full Version : Wow - Prince can really play guitar!

epiphonecoronet
02-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi! I saw the performance of Prince at the Super Bowl. His solo on purple rain is really breathtaking...I mean I can find out the single notes but the chords in that solo make it that special. Can anybody explain to me which chords fit into such a solo... I guess it's not major chords and they have some bending. But can you give me more details about it if you know?

Prince at the Superbowl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK4EwxRLiik)

It must be a dream to be able to express your feelings by such guitarwork...

best regards

Jaffaps2
02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
He just truly has the skills to pay the bills Prince. I admire the guy, I mean I love heavier stuff and virtuoso stuff but Prince really is brilliant. He's just an immensely talented multi instrumentalist, singer, and writer.

Bastard.

epiphonecoronet
02-06-2007, 03:30 PM
aha - that means he has the hands of god and nobody knows what he is doing on his fidle?

zeppelin77
02-06-2007, 03:31 PM
dude, im pretty sure that wasnt price playing guitar at the superbowl. there are some signs that what he did either wasnt him, or was pre recorded. i dunno , it just didnt seem like he was the one playing guitar to me. he made a mockery out of hendrix's " all along the watchtower", i was actually insulted, he should stick to singing and grabbing his balls or whatever.

CemtaryDrive10
02-06-2007, 03:35 PM
yeah he's good but he really held back at the Super Bowl....... his performance on SNL a while ago was far more impressive. I was pretty disappointed when half of what he played were covers too...

epiphonecoronet
02-06-2007, 03:38 PM
ok - prerecorded or not - someone had to play it - I mean for example the first chord of that solo after he says:"Can I play this guitar"... My english isn't good enough to express the characteristic of that chord but I think you know which I mean...what kind of chord is it?

thanks

JJK
02-06-2007, 03:43 PM
He's just soloing man. He's doing bends and bending while playing another note. It's not too complicated really.

Pieceofmind019
02-06-2007, 06:25 PM
dude, im pretty sure that wasnt price playing guitar at the superbowl. there are some signs that what he did either wasnt him, or was pre recorded. i dunno , it just didnt seem like he was the one playing guitar to me. he made a mockery out of hendrix's " all along the watchtower", i was actually insulted, he should stick to singing and grabbing his balls or whatever.

I agree because i was watching carefully and i noticed a few timings were just a little off plus there were times when i should have herd fret noise but didnt.

gallagher2006
02-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I like the album version better to be honest, it just seems more thought out and anthmatic.

xGuitarGodx99
02-06-2007, 08:01 PM
yeah he's good but he really held back at the Super Bowl....... his performance on SNL a while ago was far more impressive. I was pretty disappointed when half of what he played were covers too...

yea, that solo was awesome i really wasnt expecting it from him, he is really underrated

atelecasterpimp
02-06-2007, 08:17 PM
I agree because i was watching carefully and i noticed a few timings were just a little off plus there were times when i should have herd fret noise but didnt.

wow, and this is a guitar board
it's called hammer ons, and delay
you can clearly hear that his guitar was wet on several slides
give me a break

but yeah, to the orginal poster

Did you know they have color TVS now? ;)

Ascendancy1080
02-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Can prince even play the guitar? At some points it looked like he was strumming chords and i heard a ****in crazy solo in the background. I was just about to make a thread about this. I made such a rant in school.

Pieceofmind019
02-06-2007, 10:26 PM
wow, and this is a guitar board
it's called hammer ons, and delay
you can clearly hear that his guitar was wet on several slides
give me a break

but yeah, to the orginal poster

Did you know they have color TVS now? ;)

really now whats this new technology you call delay. Ive must have missed something in the 30plus years its been around. And these hammer ons you speak of what are they explain to me *rolls eyes*

Any guitar with high gain and and mid gets the sound you speak of. Im not saying hes not a good guitarist. But if you watch it closesly you can see small imperfections in what is playing and what his hands were doing. And that could have been the fact that it was on tv and the camera was brodcasting slower then the sound was at times. I just said what i saw

And explain to me what color tvs have to do with noticing imperfections in timeing. because i watched the hole game in hi/def

no1flyhalf
02-06-2007, 10:40 PM
before posting, did anyone think if you actually KNEW anything about prince? im not saying i know everything about the man (except that hes a baller...dave chappelle?), but its MY knowledge that the man is brilliant. and thats not a personal opinion...he has a very high IQ, and played like 20 something instruments by the time he was a teenager. or something like that. and can he play guitar? watch the SNL clip someone was talkin bout. then ask that again. ahh well. when doves cry is a great song.

tonzie
02-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Prince's performance on SNL was awesome.He plays the guitar so smoothly it only looks like he's faking.The superbowl performance was great despite guitar being a little flat.Weather conditions,odd guitar or maybe tech f up?

atelecasterpimp
02-07-2007, 01:48 AM
really now whats this new technology you call delay. Ive must have missed something in the 30plus years its been around. And these hammer ons you speak of what are they explain to me *rolls eyes*

Any guitar with high gain and and mid gets the sound you speak of. Im not saying hes not a good guitarist. But if you watch it closesly you can see small imperfections in what is playing and what his hands were doing. And that could have been the fact that it was on tv and the camera was brodcasting slower then the sound was at times. I just said what i saw

And explain to me what color tvs have to do with noticing imperfections in timeing. because i watched the hole game in hi/def

I dunno, was Peyton Manning really throwing the football? Did the ball really slip out of Cedric Benson's hands?

Color TVS are old news, so is Prince being a master guitar player.

Liam Efting
02-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Being as I've seen Prince play live I can tell you that he plays guitar very well, I've been a fan of the man's work since I was a kid. Most of the people on this boad arn't even old enough to realise who Prince is, so to see them talking crap just because he's Prince is kind of irritating.

He can play the hell out of a guitar. Deal with it

Pieceofmind019
02-07-2007, 08:49 PM
I dunno, was Peyton Manning really throwing the football? Did the ball really slip out of Cedric Benson's hands?

Color TVS are old news, so is Prince being a master guitar player.

What does that mean, and why did you quote me.

emo.child.101
02-08-2007, 07:52 PM
it sounded very ..fake lol like ascendancy said...looked like he was playing chords during a solo:S meh

atelecasterpimp
02-08-2007, 07:57 PM
it sounded very ..fake lol like ascendancy said...looked like he was playing chords during a solo:S meh

You must be from Canada.

Prince has been playing like that for decades, he can't even play barre chords.

_RATM_
02-08-2007, 08:43 PM
yeah his SNL was sick....i didnt watch the superbowl one tho

§tratocaster
02-08-2007, 11:16 PM

:no:
you're stupid. that's bob dylans song.

you obviously refuse to believe that prince could be such a great guitarist, and that
it mustvee ben VAI or sumtin undr the freeekin stage lolezers.

you should stick to using your brain and keeping your mouth shut "or whatever" you ignorant wanker.

:angry:

edit:

But if you watch it closesly you can see small imperfections in what is playing and what his hands were doing....

and his guitar is actually a penis right? :rolleyes:

axejam123
02-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Dude Prince ruled that show. The things that made it seem somewhat fake were that the cameras and sound equipment at a football game arent made for recording and playing live music. Plus, am I the only one who realized that it was raining the whole game? I dont know about you, but i think itd be pretty hard to play in the rain lol.

I thought Prince was pretty good. He had soul, which is seriously lacking in good guitarists these days.

Pieceofmind019
02-09-2007, 06:18 PM
You must be from Canada.

Prince has been playing like that for decades, he can't even play barre chords.
If you play for decades you can play bare cords. its one of the first things most people learn