places to play live when you're 13 years old

PDA

View Full Version : places to play live when you're 13 years old

hippyguitardude
02-07-2007, 05:40 PM
well, i'm 13 years old and have a decent band that plays mostly originals, but w/ a few covers thrown in.

My only dillema is that we currently only know of one place in our town where we can play (cause we're not old enough to play in bars and stuff). So currently we can only play at our school, and a community arts center thing in our town. There's two coffee shop places, but they don't want loud electric zepplin-sounding acts like us... just acoustic stuff. If anyone has suggestions as to where to look for live gigs, I'd really appreciate some help!

THANKS!

AdamDK
02-07-2007, 05:59 PM
You could try asking music stores like HMV. Askt hem if you can have say a 2 hour set or something. Even play for free if you need to. Just make sure you play near the Rock section so all the rap maniacs don't diss' you.

GiantRaven
02-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Look up some battle of the bands

Freunleven
02-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Play at parties - I'm sure there's something of a middle school party scene wherever it is that you live. Maybe even throw your own gig - a cookout with a concert in the garage, or whatnot.

If all else fails, get crazy and do an unplugged set at one of those "snooty" coffee joints. If Nirvana and Korn can do it, why can't you?

Just sayin'.

:satan:

Kid_Thorazine
02-08-2007, 01:33 AM
parties, rooftops, crack dens, brothels, meth labs. the possibilities are only as limitied as your imagination man.

Dutch_Apples
02-08-2007, 02:05 AM
I say strip down to acoustics and play the coffee houses. It's a start! I have found the best time to play an acoustic show is 1-2 weeks before you have a "real" gig. Since coffeehouses are more intimate, people are more likely to listen to what you say between songs. So you can plug the gig and spark interest. Here is my list of places to play when you are underage.....hey that rhymes. I'll throw some ideas that have already been stated and throw in my own 2 pennies.

Parties: The most likely gigs you'll have between 12-16 years old.

Picnic/BBQs: Spring is almost here. See if any family or friends are planning on throwing some kind of spring fest.

Rec Halls: These are places like fire departments, VFWs, KOCs, Moose Lodges, the Elks... any type of civic organization should have one. These are the most likely places I spot bands between the ages of 15 and 20. They often feature 3-7 bands... so I would jump on myspace and look for other bands your age. There HAS to be other people. Even if it means driving a few miles... okay.. see if your mom can clean out the van.

Street Festivals: The town I'm currently in has a huge street festival every year and bands of any age, style, type are welcome. They usually are placed on a section of a street near vendors and electric/sound is provided. Call your city concil to see if something like this is in your area.

Your School: See if they are planning any kind of talent shows, Battle of the bands, etc soon. You may also be able to talk your principal into letting your band play during lunch period if possible. You should probably find some faculty member who is artsy to back you up. HINT: Anyone who has a job as a middle school band director had dreams of being a rock star at some point.

Local Businesses: If your parents are friends with any business owners or have any family member who owns one, talk to them! I knew a person before who would book shows after hours at an ISP/computer repair store. I also once saw a young band playing outside of a gas station. Disregard what type of business it is for a moment.. your key idea should be: Do people come here? You'll find out if they'll STAY there after you start playing.

Church: Christian music or not.. you can book gigs at churchs. Many churchs look for programs or events for their youth groups, so you can try to talk the youth director into letting you have a show there.

Bars: Check your local laws first. My county has a law that says you MUST be 21 to play at any bar. However, I once saw a band in town that couldn't have been older than 15. The reason they were able to play was all of their parents were there supervising them.

Just remember, there are only limits to where you can play by how good your imagination is. ThERE WILL ALWAYS be a place that is willing to give your band a chance... no matter how good or terrible you are. Use the best resources you have, parents... friends... the PHONE BOOK!.. myspace. etc.

Good luck.

METSOAD
02-08-2007, 04:52 AM
music shops-if there are any big ones around
also think about battle of the bands (look for about 2 or 3 and decide which one(s) best suit your band style

good luck with finding shows

hippyguitardude
02-08-2007, 04:18 PM
ok, thanks for all the tips. I guess i'll check those out and see what spots there are

P.B.
02-08-2007, 04:24 PM
in canada there is a kid who tours bars, he's only 12 years old, Danny something or another, his music sucks, but he can play. anyway in canada you can play a show, but you can only come in go on stage, plug in and play. after the set you have to leave immediatly.

greendayguitar
02-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Get your school to do a coffee house type of thing. Play at other schools coffee houses. Make your own coffee houses. Play at some parties. Play at house parties. Play at festivals in your town or surrounding area.

It doesn't have to be a gig where you're on a stage with lights shining down on your, and you're getting paid a couple hundred dollars and stuff. You just need to get yourself out there and get some publicity. Play anywhere you can get a time slot in. Doesn't really matter if there's only 15 people. It's stage experience, so then you'll be more experienced when you play at the bars, and more of the places that you could possibly have a scout in the audience.

Yooper
02-10-2007, 12:58 PM
I would agree with getting started in School. Thats where my band got started. We played at the Talent Show. We would also play at the dances. School is a nice place to start because it allows you to grow a fanbase thats your age.

just my 2 cents

bluesrocker101
02-10-2007, 01:08 PM
in canada there is a kid who tours bars, he's only 12 years old, Danny something or another, his music sucks, but he can play. anyway in canada you can play a show, but you can only come in go on stage, plug in and play. after the set you have to leave immediatly.

Heh, you saw the documentary too? With the dad as a manager? lol

But listen to what Dutch_Apple said.

eckmann88
02-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Try asking the principal of your school for a lunchtime set or something/

FenderJag65
02-10-2007, 09:32 PM
be like those wicked awesome kids...the naked brothers band and play in hollywood in front of 10,000 people.

claptonfan55
02-13-2007, 09:31 PM
You could play at parties or other events.

Ippon
02-19-2007, 02:00 AM
Dutch_Apples, awesome list/advice! Thanks!

:cheers:

nightwalker903
02-19-2007, 07:06 AM
alot of places will let you play, get on support slots of other bands
my friends as angels fall, they're only 13 but there band is ok and they play in alot of 16+ gigs. and considering they're only 13 give it 6 years and they might make it.
check them out (dunno if im allowed)
www.myspace.com/asangelsfalluk

nightwalker903
02-19-2007, 07:10 AM
ok the singing aint great lol but if they got a decent metal singer they would be ok lol

Soul_Bassist
02-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Gig at home, your family can be your audience ^^

WhereArtEsteban
02-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Coffe shops, Book stores, and pretty much every other recomendation.

xsv434
02-20-2007, 08:08 PM
throw a party and play there, also like someone said dtry to gey a lunch set people do it alot at my school

METSOAD
02-21-2007, 04:12 AM
Party!

gtrfrk123
02-21-2007, 10:05 PM
i would say defanately throw your own party and go all out
that's what i wanna do when my band is good enough. just invite anyone you remotely respect at your school, have a garage/driveway party sorta thing, use the garage as your stage. rent a p.a. , someone to work lights (thats if you really wanna go all out). buy loads of drinks, and man , just have fun playin for people your age.

METSOAD
02-22-2007, 03:37 AM
Also try garages, they are pokey but depending on the size of the streets you could be playing to a whole load of people

Elusion777
02-22-2007, 09:28 PM
depending on where you live its not hard to get into bars to play,theres a local band of kids who play at the jams in my town but its true they have to leave right away.and you have to get a paper from the govt. wich is really easy to get like within the same day as applying for it,I'm not too sure about anywhere else but if your canuck you CAN rock the bars!good luck

deathmetalboy
02-24-2007, 12:10 PM
i guess ur school is a good place to start maybe at a dance play like 2 songs. im 14 and my band (if it is a band anymore) were gunna play at school and they said yea sounds good then my bandmates (retards) were lazy and never practiced so we never got our gig. We have a coffee shop lounge here and they have metal nights lol on fridays but u shuld recruit me for a guitarist in ur band.

deathmetalboy
02-24-2007, 12:12 PM
and yea why cant u play in bars? rofl i go to bars all the time to play pool with my friends.